Faileb for Caleb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Moss throws a loopy ball. Hangs up a bit too much for my taste. Some of those throws were him floating it on purpose but his key strikes downfield tended to require route adjustment. Only one that didn't was his last throw for a TD. But of course he's young and all that, throws a mean slant, and that fade was perfect. I just don't expect too much from him but we'll see.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think that as long as he's 6'0 or up, he's hands down the 0verall #1
Williams has an amazing ability to make unscheduled WOW plays but think some people have questions about how often the play was there from the pocket and he didn't take it, eventually bailing for something unscheduled. Not that it happened a ton but it did happen.

Between him and Maye it may end up being an argument of how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Now you’re just mischaracterizing. Perhaps it’s deliberate, but if not…

Yes, the Rams are taking a long term approach of moving current assets to create greater flexibility in 2024.

Yes, that could make 2023 more challenging.

No, they are not “tanking” or “sacrificing” 2023 to chase draft prospects. They will build the roster within their current budget and try to win every game this year with what they have. If the key guys stay healthy, I expect they’ll be fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the year.
The A Team 80S GIF

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a big believer in height mattering at QB. But there are definitely guys who are outliers to that. And if a QB has enough explosive playmaking on film he's gonna go high, which is where Caleb fits.

Going back to last year I felt like Young (who went 1 overall) was a bit of a reach due to his height, as he reminds me very much of a Brees type QB. Where you don't know if he's going to be able to overcome things, and while he has a good chance taking a shot at him at 1 overall is just crazy to me. He had a rough rook season and it's not all his fault btw, the guy still might make good for them, but we're talking draft value at the top here.

From that perspective I see Caleb a bit more as fitting in that range where he's worth the risk in that top group. Now if he measures in sub six foot then I'd have to think he might drop a bit. But chances are a guy who can off sched like him won't get to the Rams draft range. I'd be really surprised.

Last year's draft is going to increase teams' focus on taking these guys high. Because it was a hell of a good class and a lot of teams look in much better shape going forward due to taking them. Guys like O'Connell who fall into that midround group might go a bit earlier. And I doubt guys who are the big talents get overnuked as much due to seeing Levis in Tennessee.

Makes me wonder if we see a lot of guys go round one basically. Like the early round two types being snapped up by teams trading into round 1 type of thing. Guys who probably shouldn't go round one but it's supply and demand. Either way I cannot wait for this draft, it's going to be real exciting to see us selecting as high as we are even if it's in the early 20s.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Williams has an amazing ability to make unscheduled WOW plays but think some people have questions about how often the play was there from the pocket and he didn't take it, eventually bailing for something unscheduled. Not that it happened a ton but it did happen.

Between him and Maye it may end up being an argument of how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.
This is a real fair concern and one I somewhat share.
Athleticism and Arm strength are there at a very high level. Once you get to the NFL it is a difficult task to project success at a high rate for QB’s which is why so many don’t make the impact they were projected to

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm a big believer in height mattering at QB. But there are definitely guys who are outliers to that. And if a QB has enough explosive playmaking on film he's gonna go high, which is where Caleb fits.

Going back to last year I felt like Young (who went 1 overall) was a bit of a reach due to his height, as he reminds me very much of a Brees type QB. Where you don't know if he's going to be able to overcome things, and while he has a good chance taking a shot at him at 1 overall is just crazy to me. He had a rough rook season and it's not all his fault btw, the guy still might make good for them, but we're talking draft value at the top here.

From that perspective I see Caleb a bit more as fitting in that range where he's worth the risk in that top group. Now if he measures in sub six foot then I'd have to think he might drop a bit. But chances are a guy who can off sched like him won't get to the Rams draft range. I'd be really surprised.

Last year's draft is going to increase teams' focus on taking these guys high. Because it was a hell of a good class and a lot of teams look in much better shape going forward due to taking them. Guys like O'Connell who fall into that midround group might go a bit earlier. And I doubt guys who are the big talents get overnuked as much due to seeing Levis in Tennessee.

Makes me wonder if we see a lot of guys go round one basically. Like the early round two types being snapped up by teams trading into round 1 type of thing. Guys who probably shouldn't go round one but it's supply and demand. Either way I cannot wait for this draft, it's going to be real exciting to see us selecting as high as we are even if it's in the early 20s.
Bree's was 6 ft. Young is 5'10'' - Brees had around 5 lbs on him (which isn't a lot till you realize at that size it actually is).

I don't even think he's a Brees type.

The consensus round 1 types seem to be Maye and Williams (1 and 2, either/or), Daniels has clearly made his way into round 1 with his play this year but where, so much variance with the guy can see him going anywhere from 3-20.

Sure, there are years that guys get pushed into the 1st but there are just as many years as guys falling out (Levis). From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any other QB that could make the 1st round. Penix, McCarthy, and Nix have significant warts to them and just don't see them as worthy 1st round picks.

But Justin Fields will end up netting a 1st and more.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This is a real fair concern and one I somewhat share.
Athleticism and Arm strength are there at a very high level. Once you get to the NFL it is a difficult task to project success at a high rate for QB’s which is why so many don’t make the impact they were projected to
I mean, don't get me wrong. He's great. Teams will be trying to get him but it'll be a toss up between him and Maye as to who goes first and Maye has got a ton to like about him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bree's was 6 ft. Young is 5'10'' - Brees had around 5 lbs on him (which isn't a lot till you realize at that size it actually is).

You may be right. I don't profess to know exactly on these guys, he's just an undersized but big time personality and leader which puts him in that Brees category to me. These guys of course are all their own players but comps are inevitable.

The consensus round 1 types seem to be Maye and Williams (1 and 2, either/or), Daniels has clearly made his way into round 1 with his play this year but where, so much variance with the guy can see him going anywhere from 3-20.

Sure, there are years that guys get pushed into the 1st but there are just as many years as guys falling out (Levis). From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any other QB that could make the 1st round. Penix, McCarthy, and Nix have significant warts to them and just don't see them as worthy 1st round picks.

I figure Maye, Williams, and Daniels are all top half of round one types. Daniels puts the ball downfield, he's a player and no way teams let him slide unless he's got some weird shit going on teams don't like.

Penix looks like a late first round guy to me. Last year I thought teams were fucking stupid for passing on Levis. Penix is that guy this year.

McCarthy is hard to figure. Guessing early round 2 for him as teams won't be sure he isn't just a play action warrior. Can he win when NFL teams take his run game away. I mean that's a tough thing for a QB to do but if you want to go high in the draft you'd better project as that. Feels a bit timid to me. Another mild milquetoast college kid QB who has the skills but maybe not the heart.

Nix is the strangest of the bunch too. Gives me a Tebow feel. That offense sets him up with all kinds of short pass advantages. But then there are plays where he goes downfield like a stud. So idk what to think about him other than early round 2 lottery ticket.

Fields is gonna be a modern day Bradford. Tease and coach killer who cruises around and gets paid by stupid teams.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wentz mark 2?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wentz mark 2?

I don't think Wentz had quite his talent. Sorta apropos, after Wentz's knee injury, he no longer could run and then couldn't (many coaches would argue that he stubbornly "wouldn't") develop other aspects of his game to continue his development as a QB.

Williams isn't just a runner, he moves so often with the intent to throw off schedule. That's huge.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

I have a hard time believe Brees is 6’. I met him when they held a training camp in Oxnard. I’m 6’1 and had at least 2 inches on him

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Wentz had quite his talent. Sorta apropos, after Wentz's knee injury, he no longer could run and then couldn't (many coaches would argue that he stubbornly "wouldn't") develop other aspects of his game to continue his development as a QB.

Williams isn't just a runner, he moves so often with the intent to throw off schedule. That's huge.

I was alluding more to making unscripted plays because he couldn't make the play called.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was alluding more to making unscripted plays because he couldn't make the play called.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, Wentz has a lot of that but it seems more like he doesn't like to check it down whereas the criticism of Williams is that it wasn't even check downs, he wasn't making the throws on big time plays on script either.