Faileb for Caleb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Absolutely. While I don’t have a problem with a team playing young players for development purposes after they are mathematically eliminated, a year-long approach of that nature is definitely detrimental.

Agree to a point. I’d go a step further and say that going out and getting your heads kicked in every week is wearing and demoralizing. At some point, not having any hope—even a slim one at that—becomes counterproductive.

The mayfield comeback vs the raiders saved the season, IMO. The roster at that time was inferior to be any real threat to a good team, but the effort given from that point forward can not be questioned. Those guys played their asses off.

The opening day win vs a common opponent with plenty of time to prepare gave us all a skewed view and lofty expectations for this season. We’re Rams fans. We don’t enjoy seeing what we’re seeing right now. But getting developing players real reps is valuable and you simply cannot retool the entire roster in one season. Are the Rams tanking? No, but it is more sensible to play these young, inexperienced LBs, for example, than sending Troy Reeder (who I actually liked in his first run) out there who is more experienced and slightly better, because we have seen his ceiling and we want better.

Conversely, sending out rookies/young guys who aren’t ready can be detrimental to their development as well as the team’s. I too, would like to see Tomlinson and Allen out there, but if the staff says they’re not ready, then who are we to know differently?

NOT signing Witherspoon would have been tanking. NOT trading for Dotson and playing rookies and UDFAs instead, would be tanking. I believe the Rams are trying to win even though they know they don’t have the horses.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think they definitely are aiming for next year and not this year. The salary cap sort of made their hands tied this year with not many options. They could have tried to piece something together but it would have been similar to last years team and we all saw they didn’t have that winning magic. I think it’s smart they cleared a ton of room and have given themselves lots of options to come back fast and make a run next year for AD/Staffords last chance at a Super Bowl.

I could see them taking Caleb especially if Stafford is clearly worse this year but I’m not sure the Rams will be in position for the #1 pick. (I would guess top 3-10).

And I don’t think it is bad for the league. The salary cap makes it so sometimes you have to plan for the future.
I think your description of what is going on is apt, but I see a difference between what is called “rebuilding” and “tanking”.
Like you say, salary cap and personnel decisions are real and significant parts of the process. You can’t always “turn on a dime” and put out a new or improved product in one offseason.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who does NOT want Caleb?
Why not? He's going to be the next Mahomes. He's great off-script and that's most of the time. So he doesn't take care of the ball real well? Small price to pay for all that potential!! Buries his head up his ass when things go south? That's because he wants to win!! He's a can't miss prospect if there ever was one!!

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been voicing my thoughts about Williams for a long time. He's simply not a fit for McVay's offense. I think he's over rated and I think he's got an attitude that is troubling. He's all about fame and fortune and the game is secondary. He doesn't understand that if he's great at the game the fame and fortune will follow.

I think at this point all things being equal that Nix is going to be the easiest QB to get. I think the Rams will have to move way up to get Penix. Nix is still developing but he's shown a great work ethic and being coachable. If the Rams can get him and have him redshirt behind Stafford for a year he can be very good. Penix is probably one of the most polished of all the QBs in the draft but even he can benefit with a first year as a developmental backup. IMO Maye is a better prospect than Caleb if you are going to run an "Eagles" style offense, and IMO it's who AZ is targeting. They are going to play Kyler this year simply to showcase him as trade bait. Frankly I hope they don't get him.

I can see Seattle moving up to get Penix which will not be good for the Rams. But like the Rams they also would take Nix as he's a fit for what they do as well. The wildcard in next year's draft is what the 49ers will do at QB. I think they will be looking long and hard at JJ McCarthy.

Could the Rams end up with JJ McCarthy? Yeah they very well could. They probably won't have to move very far to grab him. But he's a developmental prospect that makes me hesitate not because of lack of talent but because he's very raw in key areas and McVay has proven he's not good at developing young QBs. I honestly believe that McCarthy is the kind of QB that needs to sit his first year and polish his mechanics and ability to full field read. Then start his second year knowing he will struggle. But that giving solid coaching he's the kind of talent that might blossom in his third year. The problem is the Rams aren't a patient franchise. They aren't going to wait 3 years. He's the kind of player that the Lions should take to play behind Goff. In a few years when they are ready to move on from Jared McCarthy will give them an option.

Holmes is the kind of GM that might be willing to play the long game, with drafting a first round QB he has the years to develop him behind Goff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Holmes is the kind of GM that might be willing to play the long game, with drafting a first round QB he has the years to develop him behind Goff.
He already did that last year with the selection of Alan Hendon Hooker.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Why not? He's going to be the next Mahomes. He's great off-script and that's most of the time. So he doesn't take care of the ball real well? Small price to pay for all that potential!! Buries his head up his ass when things go south? That's because he wants to win!! He's a can't miss prospect if there ever was one!!

I hate it when people make statements that are simply NOT True.

Not you ... you're OK; and I realize your sarcasm. However, I wanted to post this, and the Mahomes comment triggered me to do so here. Last night I taped the USC / Oregon game. Early on, Williams made a terrific off-script play that was duly noted.

The analyst (Spencer Tillman) referenced Mahomes-like-qualities ... OK ... that's fine.
Tillman then referred to Williams as ... 'a generational talent' ... OK, that's his opinion

The the play-by-play guy (Tim Brando) in comparing Williams to Mahomes said the following (exact quote):
... and Williams 'is of much greater size than Patrick'

That's Just NOT TRUE!!!

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Years back I remember the San Antonio Spurs tanking to get their center, Duncan. It worked. He was amazing. I won’t respect the move though. There is just something dirty about it.

So, after hearing about Caleb, I watched him play last night. He clearly has some tools. Still though, not super impressed after last night. Nix outplayed him. I see Nix as potentially the better value in this years draft. (Yep, I’m a Ducks fan, full disclosure.) That aside, tanking to me is just not right. It’s bucking the system and sends the wrong message to the team that leaves a stain on the team for many years.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So, after hearing about Caleb, I watched him play last night. He clearly has some tools. Still though, not super impressed after last night. Nix outplayed him. I see Nix as potentially the better value in this years draft. (Yep, I’m a Ducks fan, full disclosure.) That aside, tanking to me is just not right. It’s bucking the system and sends the wrong message to the team that leaves a stain on the team for many years.
Nix outplayed him going against one of the worst defenses in college football, whereas, Williams was playing against one of the better defenses. IMO, Nix didn't outplay him, Nix was on the superior team. It was because of Williams, USC only lost by 8 points on the road against one of the better teams in college football.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Caleb were to slide to us McVay would sprint to the podium with that ticket himself.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know what to think about Caleb. It seems to me, as often as not, the hyped (or overhyped) guy doesn't meet the expectations. Often it's the guy over looked and/or un-hyped that turns out to be the real deal.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Am I the only one who does NOT want Caleb?
They won't be drafting high enough for him anyway. I'm expecting 5-12 or 6-11 at best. That won't make the top 5. Cardinals, Panthers, Patriots, Giants ain't winning 5 games. Bears may not either. If there is a possible cornerstone left tackle when they pick that is what I'd like to see them pick.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They won't be drafting high enough for him anyway. I'm expecting 5-12 or 6-11 at best. lt That won't make the top 5. Cardinals, Panthers, Patriots, Giants ain't winning 5 games. Bears may not either. If there is a possible cornerstone left tackle when they pick that is what I'd like to see them pick.
The top 2 are probably the kid from Penn St. and Alt from Notre Dame. Both top 10 worthy. It would be nice to get a cornerstone LT for the next decade or so. It'll help Stafford and whomever eventually replaces him.

Tano

Legend
No. If we had the number 1 overall pick, I’m taking Maye without hesitation.
Did you see the Virginia game where he got his ass kicked against a really inferior team.

Maye and Caleb both have issues.

Caleb however has one of the most accurate arms that I have ever seen.

But, he can't read a defense for shit.

Maye appears to have a really good OL and when he has time can make great passes. He has some escape ability but nothing like Williams.

The one thing hurting Williams this year is that his OL is extremely poor. I thought it would be better than this. Nope - his OL sucks.

And since Williams can't read defenses, he is either getting sacked or pressured to make a good throw. He definitely needs work on reading defenses and that depends on whether or not he actually looks at film of his opposing teams.

Does anyone know if he does that? From what I have seen of his play, I believe he doesn't.

That is something that needs to be discussed by pro teams. Is he willing to put in the work?

Murray sure doesn't. And Williams sometimes reminds me of Murray with his attitude except Williams wants to win.

Maybe that will be the incentive to get Williams to do the work.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
USC losing 4 of the last 5 (and beating Cal by one point should be a loss) ‘might’ push Maye ahead of him. It’s a tough time to be a USC fan.
Maye has issues of his own, turns the ball over seemingly once per game and his passing TD's are down from last year

Tano

Legend
Nix outplayed him going against one of the worst defenses in college football, whereas, Williams was playing against one of the better defenses. IMO, Nix didn't outplay him, Nix was on the superior team. It was because of Williams, USC only lost by 8 points on the road against one of the better teams in college football.
I almost want to say the worst defense