Faileb for Caleb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Rams are not tanking. This was never a one season rebuild. It is going to take a couple or three seasons at least.... I know everyone is disappointed I am too especially after the start the Rams had but ask yourself did you expect a playoff run and a championship? I sure didn't.
That is how I see it as well. This team is a long way from the 21 roster, and adding a few good picks like we did this year helps, but isn't going to make them a contender (IMO). Nail the draft next year, then go FA spending in 25 to try and get another chip.

Of course, there is no guarantee that AD (or any of the big 3) will still want to play, but that is the soonest I think the Rams can be contenders with what they have now.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Always play to win.

And I think Caleb Williams is over-hyped and overrated as a generational QB. Even if he’s available at the sixth spot in this hypothetical scenario, the Rams have other needs at LT, Edge and DB to consider.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ok. If it were going on (somewhere else) would you think it was bad for the league?
Absolutely.

We need to keep in mind that players GENERALLY won’t tank.
Why play poorly for better draft position, only to bring in players to take your position?

We’ve seen numerous times, where teams win a game late in the season, which hurts their draft position.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think it is more accurate to say that there are QBs who will not fit with McVay. If you draft him a young passer it has to be someone who has a certain level of toughness to take correction, first off. Otherwise that QB will be a short term deal working with him. Also it has to be someone who processes quickly and sees well, because McVay so often leaves his QB in a situation with zero run game support and ILBs in drops and a cluttered up midfield.

The problem with the latter element is that is something everyone prioritizes nowadays. You can find those types into midrounds but they will inevitably have other problems like weak arms, size, etc. Weak arm is normally not a problem in the WCO but for McVay who likes to stretch the field vertically to create space you gotta have a certain level of arm which is a limiting factor.

But he developed Cousins. He put Goff on the map. And he got Stafford his first Super Bowl. So your comment is off base I think.
Fair enough. I just felt like McVay loses interest and him being the HC of the Rams I may of saw him lose interest in Goff and got Stafford who never played for McVay period. So I guess.

jap

Legend
I am not very concerned with who the "experts" consider the top QB prospect. I am much more concerned about who the Horns' coaching brass considers as the prospect with the best latent to obvious NFL level skills and is the most coachable by McVay, his QB coach, and the offensive coordinator. We need to retool the OL to protect an aging Matthew, and we need to upgrade the defensive front seven to prepare for life after the Kraken.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am not very concerned with who the "experts" consider the top QB prospect. I am much more concerned about who the Horns' coaching brass considers as the prospect with the best latent to obvious NFL level skills and is the most coachable by McVay, his QB coach, and the offensive coordinator. We need to retool the OL to protect an aging Matthew, and we need to upgrade the defensive front seven to prepare for life after the Kraken.
I have to admit when I imagine McVay and his coaches sitting down with all the QBs and having that relatively high pick in round 1 that it's gonna be a bro love fest with one or two of them. So even though I want a LT gotta admit I am mentally ready for McVay to select the next QB and then wing it in round 2+ with the OL as per usual.

I do think he's a good head coach to have in place to lead that decision if things go down that way. And I imagine the Rams will put all these guys through their paces on the vat board, pick their minds, etc., very well.

dang

Legend
Doesn't Caleb want part ownership of the team that drafts him, or was that fake news? If true, that's a big "fuck no" from me.
Who’s in his ear feeding him the “second coming” bullshit?

Last edited:

jap

Legend
I have to admit when I imagine McVay and his coaches sitting down with all the QBs and having that relatively high pick in round 1 that it's gonna be a bro love fest with one or two of them. So even though I want a LT gotta admit I am mentally ready for McVay to select the next QB and then wing it in round 2+ with the OL as per usual.

I do think he's a good head coach to have in place to lead that decision if things go down that way. And I imagine the Rams will put all these guys through their paces on the vat board, pick their minds, etc., very well.
I can see a couple of scenarios playing out. Depending on wherever the Horns' projcted QB prospect is expected to land, they may choose the their idea of the best LT when their first round draft slot comes up. If they are then wary of losing their QB prospect, they can attempt to move up to get him.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Who’s in his ear feeding him the “second coming” bullshit?

I believe it was debunked.

Regardless. I do feel he holds onto the ball too long. Not sure if that’s confidence in his abilities or a sign that he processes slowly. His talent is undeniable. Not sure of the fit.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can see a couple of scenarios playing out. Depending on wherever the Horns' projcted QB prospect is expected to land, they may choose the their idea of the best LT when their first round draft slot comes up. If they are then wary of losing their QB prospect, they can attempt to move up to get him.
Yeah that is possible. Get the best player round one then move up from round 2 to get the other. I could see that.

Either way this will be the funnest draft for us in years.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Losing games for the tactical purpose of improving draft position (tanking) is dishonorable and worthy of heavy sanction. I don't expect McVay (or anyone he hires) to ever take part in it. But a GM's decision to offload talent for pennies on the dollar is acceptable (rebuild) even though it might strategically represent a season-long sub rosa tanking plan for better draft position.

Q1: does anyone else think that is what is going on here?

Q2: if it is going on, is it bad for the league?

Fail-eb for Maye-eb

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I believe it was debunked.

Regardless. I do feel he holds onto the ball too long. Not sure if that’s confidence in his abilities or a sign that he processes slowly. His talent is undeniable. Not sure of the fit.
I have the same concern not on the mental end I don't think that is it but the holding of the ball will need to addressed in the NFL. I think it is just something he has always gotten away with but that ends at the next level. This means that he will indeed need to process faster to make plays and not get sacked, hurt or turn it over. It really doesn't matter though, I don't think we will move up to #1 overall to grab him and after watching the other QB's being considered it is Caleb in tier 1 and then Maye pretty far behind then tier 3 of Ewers, Daniels, Nix, Penix, McCarthy etc............

The Oregon V USC Game starting in a couple minutes may be yet another barn burner

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's early but as far as LTs it looks like there's Fashanu and Alt that are highly rated in this draft class.

The others I'm reading about either aren't as highly rated, are playing RT right now, or are said to be considered for guard.

A pass rusher or that TE Bowers just might be in the cards in round one.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Goff hasn't "improved."

Same guy he's been.. can execute a loaded offense at a high level within the structure of that offense.
That's not an insult!!
When he's asked to improvise, or doesn't have top-level talent around him, things break down significantly.
I think he's a better pure dropback passer now.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Goff hasn't "improved."

Same guy he's been.. can execute a loaded offense at a high level within the structure of that offense.
That's not an insult!!
When he's asked to improvise, or doesn't have top-level talent around him, things break down significantly.
Goff didn’t have top level talent around hin last year. What he did have was an OC who worked with him, not against him, and a good line. He was then the guy who pulled the passing game together by developing extraordinary rapport with his previously unremarkable receivers. Like Josh Reynolds.

Leadership and throwing with extreme accuracy and anticipation in a high precision offense are still underrated.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I think he's a better pure dropback passer now.
He reads the D better, makes faster decisions, and gets rid of the ball more quickly, either to an open receiver or to throw it away. He’s responsible for getting the team into the right play and usually does. Trains up the receivers. Runs one of the most complex offenses in the league flawlessly and with very few turnovers. One of the league leaders in long completions but without forcing the ball.

He’s playing at a clearly higher level now. It’s a natural progression aided by responsive coaches who understand what he brings to the table. And by his own determination.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I have the same concern not on the mental end I don't think that is it but the holding of the ball will need to addressed in the NFL. I think it is just something he has always gotten away with but that ends at the next level. This means that he will indeed need to process faster to make plays and not get sacked, hurt or turn it over. It really doesn't matter though, I don't think we will move up to #1 overall to grab him and after watching the other QB's being considered it is Caleb in tier 1 and then Maye pretty far behind then tier 3 of Ewers, Daniels, Nix, Penix, McCarthy etc............

The Oregon V USC Game starting in a couple minutes may be yet another barn burner

USC losing 4 of the last 5 (and beating Cal by one point should be a loss) ‘might’ push Maye ahead of him. It’s a tough time to be a USC fan.

WestCoastRam

Legend
He reads the D better, makes faster decisions, and gets rid of the ball more quickly, either to an open receiver or to throw it away. He’s responsible for getting the team into the right play and usually does. Trains up the receivers. Runs one of the most complex offenses in the league flawlessly and with very few turnovers. One of the league leaders in long completions but without forcing the ball.

He’s playing at a clearly higher level now. It’s a natural progression aided by responsive coaches who understand what he brings to the table. And by his own determination.
Yup.

But mostly I think he's a better drop back passer. McVay's system, Shanahan, etc... doesn't practice drop back as much as as other offenses. Run and play-action take up the majority of the practice reps. The problem with this is (and to touch base on what some other people have said about McVay not being able to develop a QB) that while all the play action can make the QBs job quite a bit easier in this system, it steals from pure drop back reps. The kind of reps that are super important for, say, for 3rd down (if not, earlier downs). QBs like Stafford ran systems with far more drop back plays and reps and therefore were challenged to and learned to process a great deal of things in the passing game at the highest level.

Goff didn't have to do this as much and notably was not as good a QB when forced to drop back and pass (play-action is not a drop back, it's play-action). In Detroit, there's far more drop back passing and he's gotten better at it. All of the above has happened (as you stated), perhaps because he's doing more drop back.

The problem with the McVay system is that the training wheels for a QB never really come off. There's just never enough reps to go around in practice for pure drop back. That's why importing a QB like Stafford into the system was so great. He already learned everything one could possibly learn as a pure passer. The reps are less important. And the playbook can open up.

Last edited: