Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how not done Matthews is actually. There is a lot of talk going on about him looking like a shell of himself last year and the numbers just weren't there, but he got popped for a number of over the top roughing calls and was playing for a beat down Packers D that still got to opposing passers fairly frequently.

He is a LOT like Chris Long--a guy who people think is long in the tooth, but is still a very valuable asset. A high effort player who's impact is much larger on the guys around him than it is on the stat sheet.
Not a bad comparison.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
CF8C1ED9-9F03-4017-B93C-E8A5FC76B877.jpeg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So this will cost us a comp pick, right? Or could make the comp pick for LMJ or Saffold go from a 4 to a 7? Not a fan.

According to this https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/2/15/16986122/the-5-oclock-club-redskins-compensatory-picks-nfl

Mathews will likely cost us a later comp pick, for Alexander or another player lost.

I say this, because his contract is likely well below the 4th round level. In fact, given his age and experience, I doubt he fetches even a 5th (my understanding is that players with 10 years in the league can't have more than a 5th in comp. Only salary and guaranteed bonuses count for comp levels, not any incentives). So likely a 5th or 6th round pick for him - so that would balance against picks for Alexander, Mannion, etc. - because lower picks cancel out even lower picks before they cancel out higher picks. So, as usual, Demoff knew what he was doing.

Edit: Here's Over the Cap's explanation https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how not done Matthews is actually. There is a lot of talk going on about him looking like a shell of himself last year and the numbers just weren't there, but he got popped for a number of over the top roughing calls and was playing for a beat down Packers D that still got to opposing passers fairly frequently.o

He is a LOT like Chris Long--a guy who people think is long in the tooth, but is still a very valuable asset. A high effort player who's impact is much larger on the guys around him than it is on the stat sheet.
I saw a few Packer games early last season and thought Matthews was really getting after the qb, only to be called for absurd roughing penalties several games in a row. But what I really like is that offenses will now have to account for Donald, Fowler and Matthews... how many blockers good enough to do that do most teams have? I expect that Wade is licking his chops in anticipation.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Am I crazy for really wanting to see kiser?

Well, If you are crazy for wanting to see Kiser then I must be even crazier because he was my favorite draft pick by the Rams last year! I kept my fingers crossed every round that the Rams would pick him and I never thought that he would drop as far as he did!!! I still think he will eventually be a starter for the Rams and will
be a very good player for them!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
53d75a05257d530ad613a8b8736409ff.jpeg

Like the signing. This brings veteran experience most of all; which is much needed.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Love the idea of using him as a situational rusher, but the money doesnt reflect that type of role.

Like the player, still think he has some left in the tank but no crazy about him being an every down player. Guess I need to know what the cap hit looks like.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think we should leave the money part to the people that do the money part.
Our analysis of signings based on the contract is so incredibly arrogant and ignorant at the same time that I’m pretty much at a loss for words.
Occasionally there are monumentally bad contracts thrown around this league for all to see (Osweiller in Denver a couple years ago) but i agree with you wholeheartedly on this.

nighttrain

Legend
I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how not done Matthews is actually. There is a lot of talk going on about him looking like a shell of himself last year and the numbers just weren't there, but he got popped for a number of over the top roughing calls and was playing for a beat down Packers D that still got to opposing passers fairly frequently.

All of the above, and then some:football:
train

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Clay and Snead advertising for head and shoulders

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
According to this https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/2/15/16986122/the-5-oclock-club-redskins-compensatory-picks-nfl

Mathews will likely cost us a later comp pick, for Alexander or another player lost.

I say this, because his contract is likely well below the 4th round level. In fact, given his age and experience, I doubt he fetches even a 5th (my understanding is that players with 10 years in the league can't have more than a 5th in comp. Only salary and guaranteed bonuses count for comp levels, not any incentives). So likely a 5th or 6th round pick for him - so that would balance against picks for Alexander, Mannion, etc. - because lower picks cancel out even lower picks before they cancel out higher picks. So, as usual, Demoff knew what he was doing.

Edit: Here's Over the Cap's explanation https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/
And here's OTC chart that they update almost every day on comp picks.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Clay and Snead advertising for head and shoulders

I was thinking along the same lines ... between the flowing locks of Matthews and Snead and the McVay hair gel situation, the Rams are going to be the go-to team for advertisers of men's hair care products.