Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

manmaderam

The one and only
Hope Wade figures out how to use Matthews pretty well. Seems like a steep price but time will tell if he's worth the investment.

Still think a big NT is one of our biggest needs. (Whats old Louis Nix up to these days?) Lol

But Matthews does help out our LB situation a bit

fearsomefour

Legend
Another "ehh" signing to me.
$8M for Matthews? Yuck.
Of course a rusher younger and his prime would be nearly double that.
Maybe he gets some new gas in LA.
He is better that whomever was slotted at OLB spot opposite of Fowler.
Jury is out on this one.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think he's referring to all the hair growth on our new players. Steinbrenner hated long hair and beards.
screen-shot-2017-05-08-at-8-31-26-am-e1494250374216.png

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another "ehh" signing to me.
$8M for Matthews? Yuck.
Of course a rusher younger and his prime would be nearly double that.
Maybe he gets some new gas in LA.
He is better that whomever was slotted at OLB spot opposite of Fowler.
Jury is out on this one.
Cooks, Gurley, Havenstein, brockers, talib, Peters, Whitworth, Donald .

With that already on the roster we shouldn't have expected anything other than solid cheap vets . Matthews had bigger offers than the one we gave him . As did Fowler . This isn't the year to go digging for gold in FA

dang

Legend
I believe the Rams purposefully chose the above average ILB/OLB versatility of Matthews over the above average EDGE skills of Shaq Barrett. Barrett seems like a steal at $5M so I hope the $8.375M max payout for Matthews requires some pretty exemplary play.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Love the signing ...it says up to 16 million plus so I'm sure it won't be cap busting but this is good on many levels especially for the young dudes.

As far as clay the guy had 4 sacks on a piss poor pass rushing defense (and was robbed of 2 additional sacks) who actually lost Wilkerson early on in the year whom they signed for 1 yr 5 million...speaking of that obviously still wanting Shelton with some restructuring but Wilkerson probably could be had for peanuts at this point 5 million last year missed basically the whole season this year might be worth considering.

Pieces around a talented young core make this defense better especially when the pieces are where you are weakest.

Thumbs up

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Hope Wade figures out how to use Matthews pretty well. Seems like a steep price but time will tell if he's worth the investment.

Still think a big NT is one of our biggest needs. (Whats old Louis Nix up to these days?) Lol

But Matthews does help out our LB situation a bit

Do you pick Dexter Lawrence with your 1st pick IF he is still available? I would BUT I am definitely NO Draft Expert!

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He and Goff should do some Geico or Allstate insurance ads together
He doesn’t have to pack his Khakis. Lol.

I think we overpaid here. But I see some upside to the deal. I would have preferred a 1 year “prove it” deal because of his age.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I think we should leave the money part to the people that do the money part.
Our analysis of signings based on the contract is so incredibly arrogant and ignorant at the same time that I’m pretty much at a loss for words.

Personally love the signing. Matthews is a stud, a good sign, and a great attitude/ vet presence that our front seven desperately needs.

He’s still got it, btw.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Do you pick Dexter Lawrence with your 1st pick IF he is still available? I would BUT I am definitely NO Draft Expert!

I'd pick Simmons first, but honestly, I'd be fine with Lawrence.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cooks, Gurley, Havenstein, brockers, talib, Peters, Whitworth, Donald .

With that already on the roster we shouldn't have expected anything other than solid cheap vets . Matthews had bigger offers than the one we gave him . As did Fowler . This isn't the year to go digging for gold in FA
I didn't expect big signings.
Just not sure that's where I have spent it.
That said, Fowler/Littleton/ ? / Matthews certainly makes the LB corp look more solid than two weeks ago.

Rainram

Starter
I guess I’m in the minority. I like the addition.

- I think he can fit what we want to do on defense and although he’s past his prime a little, I don’t think he’s as long in the tooth as others do. His football intelligence, intensity and leadership are all positives.

- I’m not worried about the money. I bet they structured it well enough. Demoff is good at what he does. It’s a far cry from the poor cap management of the early 2000’s. Until we start creating huge money problems, Demoff and Co. get the benefit of the doubt

- It’s slight negative for the comp pick. But I view that as an ancillary factor

- As for the draft...I gotta think they’re looking hard at the DLine. We really have to do a better job of maximizing Aaron Donald.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think we should leave the money part to the people that do the money part.
Our analysis of signings based on the contract is so incredibly arrogant and ignorant at the same time that I’m pretty much at a loss for words.

Personally love the signing. Matthews is a stud, a good sign, and a great attitude/ vet presence that our front seven desperately needs.

He’s still got it, btw.

Couldn’t have said it better myself! People getting hung up on the mula need to remember it’s a “max” of $16 plus mill. I would venture to guess it’s $5-6 mil per and that’s not bad at all. Clay, keep the hair and the leadership, but lose the personal fouls and we’re good! Love the signing GO RAMS

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Oh and Lawrence has been my guy in the first for some time, hoping he’s there too! Either him or TJ Hockenson as a surprise pick! BPA all the wayyyy

Debacled

Starter
I think people will be pleasantly surprised with how not done Matthews is actually. There is a lot of talk going on about him looking like a shell of himself last year and the numbers just weren't there, but he got popped for a number of over the top roughing calls and was playing for a beat down Packers D that still got to opposing passers fairly frequently.

He is a LOT like Chris Long--a guy who people think is long in the tooth, but is still a very valuable asset. A high effort player who's impact is much larger on the guys around him than it is on the stat sheet.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't expect big signings.
Just not sure that's where I have spent it.
That said, Fowler/Littleton/ ? / Matthews certainly makes the LB corp look more solid than two weeks ago.
Am I crazy for really wanting to see kiser?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Am I crazy for really wanting to see kiser?

Yes. He'll be a backup, and actually get into games not as a special teamer - and if he does well, will steal ILB playing time from Mathews. But the Rams will have a plan for ILB that doesn't require Kiser to be ready without actually having played in the Rams' system. If Kiser turns out to be the best option, great. Wade will adjust, as he's shown in the past.