Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Call me crazy, but I am excited about this.

Me too. Clay isn't the same player and doesn't get big sack totals but he still can pressure the passer and that's what we need.

Welcome aboard Clay and family! (y)

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Not a fan of this signing. Sorry.

A fading former superstar? For maybe over $8M per year?

Hell, that’s $2M more than Barron was costing!

Hope I’m wrong, but I think we coulda spent that kind of money more wisely.
Wade likes him-nuff said.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As i've often beaten a dead horse about...i don't care about the money. Free agency is overpriced no matter who or what.

I'm kind of meh on the player at this point. I like the experience factor. That's about it. I look forward to seeing on the field what he's got left.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wade likes him-nuff said.

Wade liked Ebu and Longacre as starters on the edge last year, tomas.

Let that sink in for just a minute.

It took Wade 10-11 games to figure out how the hell to use Peters last year.

Both Brockers and Suh underwhelmed in ‘18.

Wade insisted on Barron at ILB.

I like Wade, myself, but he’s NOT infallible.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Wade liked Ebu and Longacre as starters on the edge last year, tomas.

Let that sink in for just a minute.

It took Wade 10-11 games to figure out how the hell to use Peters last year.

Both Brockers and Suh underwhelmed in ‘18.

Wade insisted on Barron at ILB.

I like Wade, myself, but he’s NOT infallible.

lol..

you sound like I did up to the playoffs last year...Like Wades...Loved his Pops..but I was honestly ready for us to move in a different direction..but we made the right adjustments...

in his defense... Longacre and Ebu were our best options at those spots when the season started.. it's not like we had much of a choice...

and although I wanted us to move on from Barron at Inside LB years ago... Greg Williams had Barron there before Wade did

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
As Jrry and a few other people elsewhere have brought up could this be to play ILB?

it certainly adds some versatility to our front 7...

if Ebu and/or Obo play well.... Wade can get creative for us to keep Clay on the field more

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I assume that 16 Mil number mentioned includes a ton of incentives....curious what the cap hit is, because it doesn't look like we have much cap space left..

hoping we have some restructuring going on..

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I hate this signing. I'm pretty sure he's running on empty. Most likely a 1year deal we can get out from under if need be.
Better come w/ a George Steinbrenner clause!
Okay, I'll bite. What is a "George Steinbrenner" clause?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Clay may not be as fast anymore, but I'd rather have someone that's proactively diagnosing a play instead of reacting and overpursing. Hopefully Weddle and Clay bring that discipline to the def.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Contract initially sounds too much, but let's see what it comes down to. My guess is he plays ILB predominantly. Wade wanted veteran leadership, bam, got it.

I think Kiser may have potential, but Clay is a huge upgrade on experience and recognition alone.

Rams trying to put themselves in position to field a BPA in early second round. If Pats don't trade for Rosen, that phone ringing will break a pace maker!