Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call me crazy, but I am excited about this.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm a fan of the signing. Matthews may not have much in the tank, but he can still play both inside and outside linebacker, and he's a vet presence of the linebackers, which is needed.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I hate this signing. I'm pretty sure he's running on empty. Most likely a 1year deal we can get out from under if need be.

I'm not very stoked on this contract either. It reminds me of the attempted resurrection of Connor Barwin a couple years ago, but even more expensive against the CAP. Hope it works out.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm not very stoked on this contract either. It reminds me of the attempted resurrection of Connor Barwin a couple years ago, but even more expensive against the CAP. Hope it works out.

Totally, this smells like a reach deal to me... I pray he's only in sub packs. Simply hate this deal.

I'm going to start doing sprints now, so when the season starts I will be able rush the field " in a blur of course" and cut his lettuce!!! :puke:

Ram65

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1108171692650700801

Not a fan of that unless a crap ton of that is incentives.

Posted this on the Other CM thread "Seems like for the money it's a good deal. I'm assuming that he is much cheaper than Justin Houston. As a posted earlier he doesn't have to play every down. A fresher CM is a better player. Rams getting short term help from cheaper veteran."

LOL that ain't cheap. That $16.7 Million seems like a lot at his age and production. Hopefully, lots of $$$$ are in incentives. It does give the Rams another potential pass rusher which is always valuable.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As Jrry and a few other people elsewhere have brought up could this be to play ILB?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Posted this on the Other CM thread "Seems like for the money it's a good deal. I'm assuming that he is much cheaper than Justin Houston. As a posted earlier he doesn't have to play every down. A fresher CM is a better player. Rams getting short term help from cheaper veteran."

LOL that ain't cheap. That $16.7 Million seems like a lot at his age and production. Hopefully, lots of $$$$ are in incentives. It does give the Rams another potential pass rusher which is always valuable.

This pick-up & Fowler's huge payday might suggest that our #31 draft pick won't be used on a LB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He and Goff should do some Geico or Allstate insurance ads together

dang

Legend
I think it is a "good" pickup if the base salary is around $6M with incentives maxing out to $8.375M. I feel better having a vet at LB than not having one. I do believe the Rams will use Matthews predominately at ILB but he can also help at OLB. I would have preferred Zach Brown at ILB or Houston at OLB but I bet both are looking for more base $$$ than this and neither provides the flexibility of working both ILB & OLB.

dang

Legend
This pick-up & Fowler's huge payday might suggest that our #31 draft pick won't be used on a LB.
My guess is that the R1.31 pick will be traded down for an R2 & R4 pick. Rams can pick up a nice DT in R2 and they need depth all over (OL, CB, EDGE, S) so the extra pick helps with that.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
So this will cost us a comp pick, right? Or could make the comp pick for LMJ or Saffold go from a 4 to a 7? Not a fan.

It will definitely cost a comp pick. I'm guessing it will cancel Suh's, but the average salary is high enough that it could cancel out one of the 4th rounders.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The contract better be heavy on incentives.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not a fan of this signing. Sorry.

A fading former superstar? For maybe over $8M per year?

Hell, that’s $2M more than Barron was costing!

Hope I’m wrong, but I think we coulda spent that kind of money more wisely.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Not a fan of this signing. Sorry.

A fading former superstar? For maybe over $8M per year?

Hell, that’s $2M more than Barron was costing!

Hope I’m wrong, but I think we coulda spent that kind of money more wisely.

Barron was going to cost us $9M I believe.