Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the combo of Fowler and Matthews will really be an amazing combo, better than many think. I'm of the opinion that all this "limited snaps" mess will be out the window when Matthews starts fast and will quickly transition to those limited snaps being in practice like other vets.

Agreed Mack. I am convinced Matthews will be a top 3 signing in the league this season, with enormous impact. Teams won't be concerned with gameplanning specifically for him early on, but unfortunately for them as the season progresses they won't be able to because of Donald.

I think even the Rams are going to be surprised. It might not last beyond this season, but for this year I think he's going to be lights out.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed Mack. I am convinced Matthews will be a top 3 signing in the league this season, with enormous impact. Teams won't be concerned with gameplanning specifically for him early on, but unfortunately for them as the season progresses they won't be able to because of Donald.

I think even the Rams are going to be surprised. It might not last beyond this season, but for this year I think he's going to be lights out.

Then after the 2020 season, he'll retire to be an action movie star. I understand that's the thing for long haired blonde football players.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick

Joking aside ?? When will the new stadium be ready ?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
That's correct
The latest:

Overthecap.com says CM counts only 3.5 M against the Rams cap in 2019. Truly a great signing then!

They’re saying 9.25M for 2 years. 3.5M in 2019, and 5.75M in 2020. Grand total of only 5.5 M guaranteed, so If needed, Rams could cut CM next year if he doesn’t play up to his contract. (So if CM is cut before the 2020 season, Rams would absorb 2M as “dead money”, but they’d recoup 3.75M in cap savings.)

Anyway— finally, confirmation that the Rams got yet another strong vet player at well below market value. So much better than the initial inflated reports of 2 years at over 16M (which included the “not likely to be earned” incentives, which don’t count against the cap).

Link:

https://overthecap.com/player/clay-matthews/1096/

PS: these figures contradict Lindsay Thiry’s report of over 12M base and 6.5M guaranteed...

Last edited:

dang

Legend
The latest:

Overthecap.com says CM counts only 3.5 M against the Rams cap in 2019. Truly a great signing then!

They’re saying 9.25M for 2 years. 3.5M in 2019, and 5.75M in 2020. Grand total of only 5.5 M guaranteed, so If needed, Rams could cut CM next year if he doesn’t play up to his contract. (So if CM is cut before the 2020 season, Rams would absorb 2M as “dead money”, but they’d recoup 3.75M in cap savings.)

Anyway— finally, confirmation that the Rams got yet another strong vet player at well below market value. So much better than the initial inflated reports of 2 years at over 16M (which included the “not likely to be earned” incentives, which don’t count against the cap).

Link:

https://overthecap.com/player/clay-matthews/1096/

PS: these figures contradict Lindsay Thiry’s report of over 12M base and 6.5M guaranteed...
Sportrac confirms the Overthecap contract $$$$ for Matthews.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't know why folks are so concerned about the money. Everyone knows teams can finagle contracts and signing bonus' and what not to stay under the cap.

CM isn't getting big money and the Rams got a good vet for their money.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know why folks are so concerned about the money. Everyone knows teams can finagle contracts and signing bonus' and what not to stay under the cap.

The money still has to be paid, if "finagling" is used to stay under the cap. A couple years ago the Dolphins signed Suh to a huge contract. Realizing a year later that they had no cap space, they finagled it so that Suh's cap hit for the first 3 years of his contract was only $14 million per season (on average) which at the time was huge for a DT, but meant they could make some moves. Of course, when they cut Suh rather than pay the huge salaries his last two seasons, they were left with $21 million in dead money - which certainly was part of the reason they've had to go into rebuild mode now. Pushing money into future years contributed at least a bit to not being able to pay Saffold this year. Next year the Rams have both their starting CBs being free agent - oh, and Goff needing either a new contract or his 5th year option picked up - both options will greatly increase his cap hit.

So seeing that Matthews' contract is relatively small for the actual cap hit is good news.

Ram65

Legend

CM isn't getting big money and the Rams got a good vet for their money.

The Rams don't want to over extend themselves as @Akrasian stated.

Adding to that is the fact that even though Stan Kroenke stays out of the day to day football operations I'm sure he gives Demoff some spending guidelines. Like any business for profit the employee pool has a budget.

A million here and a million there saved can get you a player like Mathews. Over spending on players hurts the Rams ability to sign other players. Think about the over spend for Tavon Austin. Just like buying a car we all don't want to spend more than the market value and prefer to spend below market value. It does look like a good deal for CM but, better with the lower numbers.

From what I read the Rams are about 4.5 million under the cap for now. They may be done in free agency with that money left for in season spending. I would like another defensive lineman signing for the draft. Rams look thin there.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Really don't like this signing. Don't like the guy or his penalties. And that's a chunk of change. Meh, hopefully Wade can squeeze something useful out of him for two years.
Actually like it...

dang

Legend
For the $$$ Clay Matthews looks like a very good signing. He is no longer elite but he certainly brings flexibility and a level of productivity that will benefit the Rams LB corp. I was hoping the Rams would pull the trigger on getting Justin Houston but after the dust settled it was a CAP no brainer to go after someone like Matthews at $3.5M vs going after someone like Houston for $14M in 2019. Rams are taking a page out of the Patriots playbook.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/29/sean-mcvay-excited-by-versatility-of-clay-matthews/
Sean McVay excited by versatility of Clay Matthews
by Curtis Crabtree on March 29, 2019

gettyimages-492269568-e1553841319712.jpg

Clay Matthews left a strong impression on Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay the last time he saw him in person on a football field.

While 2018 was a disappointing year for Matthews overall, his best game of the season arguably came against McVay and the Rams in October. Matthews notched a season-high seven tackles and recorded one of his 3.5 sacks on the season. Matthews may be set to enter his 11th season in the NFL, but the prospect of having Matthews a part of a Wade Phillips defense has McVay eager to get started.

“We saw a lot of good stuff when we saw him last year and I’ve always respected his game from afar when you’ve coached against him,” McVay told reporters this week at the coaches’ breakfast at the league meetings. “So when you’re able to add two players like he and Eric Weddle – veteran players that are about the right stuff, being out in L.A. it’s a good deal to be able to get Clay back home.”

Specifically, it’s Matthews’ versatility that McVay is most excited to see join his team.

“He brings a veteran presence that has a lot of versatility to his skill set,” McVay said. “And when you look at it from an offensive standpoint when you think about the guys that can do a lot of different things that pose problems to a defense he does the same thing to offenses. He can rush the passer he can play in coverage. You can move him all over the place. So I think versatile players that are smart that have the ability to have production in a lot of ways they give you a lot of different things they can do defensively.”

Matthews thought the fit with the Rams would be ideal for him as well. He’ll get a chance to pair with Dante Fowler, Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald on the Rams defensive line.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-la-bolstering-the-los-angeles-rams-pass-rush

Clay Matthews returns home to LA, bolstering the Los Angeles Rams' pass rush
BY PHILLIP JACQUES • LOS ANGELES RAMS CLAY MATTHEWS • APR 4, 2019
ClayMatthews21-e1347489110237.jpeg
PHILADELPHIA, PA - JANUARY 09: Clay Matthews #52 of the Green Bay Packers celebrates after a sack against the Michael Vick #7 of the Philadelphia Eagles during the 2011 NFC wild card playoff game at Lincoln Financial Field on January 9, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
For Clay Matthews, what was old is new again. The 32-year-old edge defender, who played the first 10 seasons of his career with the Green Bay Packers, is now heading home to Southern California, where his career began, to play for the Los Angeles Rams for the 2019 season.

Matthews was born in Los Angeles into a family of football royalty. His father was a first-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns in 1978, and his grandfather played for the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s. Despite his lineage, however, he had to earn every opportunity he ever received on the football field. His father was his defensive coordinator in high school and refused to start him until his senior season because he was undersized. He was forced to walk onto the football team at the University of Southern California and was a member of the scout team in his first year with the squad. It wasn’t until his third year with the team, his sophomore season, that he finally received a full athletic scholarship and he wasn’t a full-time starter until his senior season. He made his limited time count, however, and was subsequently drafted in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers.

D2HcsLEWsAAx4qk.jpg:large

Matthews excelled during his time in Green Bay. Over his 10-year career, no Packer produced more sacks (101), hits (114), hurries (294), or total pressures (509) than Matthews, while his pass-rush grade of 87.4 and his pass-rushing productivity of 15.2 respectively rank 23rd and 32nd among the 127 edge defenders with at least 1000 pass-rushing snaps throughout that span. As they say though, Father Time catches up with everyone, and some will argue that Matthews’ best days are behind him. He is coming off arguably the worst season of his career, where he registered only 30 pressures across 357 pass-rushing snaps en route to an average 65.3 overall grade and a career-low 8.4% pressure rate.

However, the opportunity for a career resurgence exists in Los Angeles. With players like Aaron Donald and Dante Fowler in the fold, Matthews won’t be forced to be the defensive playmaker he was for the Packers. He can serve as a jack of all trades for the defense – rushing off the edge on one play and dropping into coverage the next.

Clay-Pressure-Rates-1024x576.png

In his 10 years in the NFL, Matthews has dropped into coverage 911 times after he lined up as an edge defender, which is fifth-most among all edge defenders in that span. He’s performed well on those snaps too, earning the ninth-best coverage grade (84.6) among those with 100 or more coverage snaps. Among the players who were targeted at least 50 times within those 10 years, Matthews’ allowed catch rate of 73.3% ranks seventh, while his 82.4 passer rating allowed ranks sixth.

If the Rams use him correctly as a rotational player, Matthews can still be a valuable asset to the group of Rams edge defenders that ended the 2018 season ranked 20th among 32 units in pass-rush grade and 31st in pressure rate. He isn’t the player he was in his prime, but he is still a force on defense when healthy, and he can definitely be a key contributor to his hometown team on their quest to get back to the Super Bowl.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Funny how our edge was 31st in pressure but overall the rams were number one in pressure. Yep, Donalds worth every penny

Ram65

Legend
In his 10 years in the NFL, Matthews has dropped into coverage 911 times after he lined up as an edge defender, which is fifth-most among all edge defenders in that span. He’s performed well on those snaps too, earning the ninth-best coverage grade (84.6) among those with 100 or more coverage snaps. Among the players who were targeted at least 50 times within those 10 years, Matthews’ allowed catch rate of 73.3% ranks seventh, while his 82.4 passer rating allowed ranks sixth.

Good coverage grades which is a little surprising to me. That is only 91 times a season. That's not a lot but, at least he has done well in coverage. Excited to see how he gets used. He will get his rest and be ready when needed. Hope Wade keeps changing things up with the pass rush to keep offenses guessing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I read almost all of the comments that have been said since CM was linked to signing with the Rams...seems that many believe that CM is trending downward in his career, that his impact days are over & coming to an end.

Not sure that this has been brought out but CM's dad played 19 NFL seasons. CM's uncle Bruce Matthews also played 19 NFL seasons. Both his dad & his Uncle played for an extremely long period of time for NFL players & had big seasons well after their 10th seasons. Guess my point is CM comes from those same genes. I would not be surprised if CM revitalizes his all-pro career here in LA as the veteran leader of our LB'ing cadre.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I read almost all of the comments that have been said since CM was linked to signing with the Rams...seems that many believe that CM is trending downward in his career, that his impact days are over & coming to an end.

Not sure that this has been brought out but CM's dad played 19 NFL seasons. CM's uncle Bruce Matthews also played 19 NFL seasons. Both his dad & his Uncle played for an extremely long period of time for NFL players & had big seasons well after their 10th seasons. Guess my point is CM comes from those same genes. I would not be surprised if CM revitalizes his all-pro career here in LA as the veteran leader of our LB'ing cadre.
In his interview he said he likes playing more in the middle now, so he will help Wade add a lot of different looks.
Maybe even cutting his or man bun under his helmet. Either way an excellent veteran signing with Weddle. Just 2 years ago they were both top 50 players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For the $$$ Clay Matthews looks like a very good signing. He is no longer elite but he certainly brings flexibility and a level of productivity that will benefit the Rams LB corp. I was hoping the Rams would pull the trigger on getting Justin Houston but after the dust settled it was a CAP no brainer to go after someone like Matthews at $3.5M vs going after someone like Houston for $14M in 2019. Rams are taking a page out of the Patriots playbook.

Well said about the Pats. They still got great Comp picks this offseason for a couple FA signings.