Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Love this signing. He has a lot more in the tank than people realize. Name 3 other playmakers on that GB defense. Here he gets to play with Donald, Brockers, Peters, Talib, Johnson, Weddle and so much other talent in Wade’s scheme. He’ll be freed up to make plays and will be great in the meeting rooms too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting in Ian Rapoport’s interview shown in an earlier post on this thread said that the Rams were not planning on starting Matthews. I don’t know if he’s correct or not, but it does make for some interesting thoughts.

I don't know if he'll be a formal starter, but with their shortage of cap space the Rams didn't sign him to be a normal backup either. I expect him to get more than half the plays - at least when the game is close. If they get a big lead, or it's big enough with little time left, he might get more rest. But in a close game I expect him on the field much of the time, either rushing the QB, covering people out of the backfield, or playing the run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love this signing. He has a lot more in the tank than people realize. Name 3 other playmakers on that GB defense. Here he gets to play with Donald, Brockers, Peters, Talib, Johnson, Weddle and so much other talent in Wade’s scheme. He’ll be freed up to make plays and will be great in the meeting rooms too.

Yeah funny thing about Clay's time under Pettine is that hire was supposed to bring some simplicity and reduce confusion, so it seems like there were complaints about Dom's approach being too complicated. But Clay was the kind of player who really stood out in Dom's approach because he's smart and capable of playing fast when his responsibilities are shifting in that zone blitz. It was a perfect fit for him.

This is going to be a superb signing. Very confident of that. Wade gets better and better as he gets the right personnel to execute his scheme, and the Rams should be closer to what he wants on the edge not to mention Clay being a guy who can move around and cause offenses fits. Go watch his film from last year, he gets pressure still. Not an elite rusher but a very good one and Wade's gonna engage this dude in some fun ways.

At this point the NT position is the absolute must for the draft. Interior OL depth is a must too. OLB & CB are priorities still, but it's not do or die. This roster is lookin a lot closer to where it needs to be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Well if i have to...
200.webp

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been MIA of late ... just logging in to say love this signing

imagine Wade overloading one side .. Fowler .. Donald .. Clay ... good luck Oline

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Very good base compared to the initial numbers and puts a lot of the over reactions on the back burner. Glad to see that number that low.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good deal. Max value numbers are never to be trusted. Will also likely not cost us a top comp pick.

Yeah, if any of the Rams free agents sign for enough to qualify as a comp pick - even a late 7th - the Saffold and Joyner picks will be safe.

I do want to know what the incentives are and whether they are likely to be earned or unlikely to be earned for cap purposes.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Looking more into GB's roster on defense, I'm starting to like the signing. He'll be a great complement to our linebacker corps along with his vet presence.

Didn't see anyone impressive on the Packers defense other than Jaire Alexander

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I think the combo of Fowler and Matthews will really be an amazing combo, better than many think. I'm of the opinion that all this "limited snaps" mess will be out the window when Matthews starts fast and will quickly transition to those limited snaps being in practice like other vets.

It won't be as dynamic as Denver had with Miller and Ware, but they didn't have anyone like AD.

I'm not ready to assess how the patterns look, but I'm seeing some potential synergies that have the potential to be significantly better than last year.

I think I mentioned last April that we could be good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

Not ready to say that again since I can't say anything until I see Gurley make a "plant and go" one cut move and just explode, but in putting the defensive pieces together, with Talib and Peters healthy and the additions of Weddle and Matthews... some of the possibilities are really, really good.