Clay Mathews has signed with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In his interview he said he likes playing more in the middle now, so he will help Wade add a lot of different looks.
Maybe even cutting his or man bun under his helmet. Either way an excellent veteran signing with Weddle. Just 2 years ago they were both top 50 players.
I would agree with 100%.

That's where I would play him more often. Coach Barry already has 5 very young LB'ers in his Edge Rusher cadre all under 25 yr old & I would expect to see another added in this draft too.

Fowler
Ebukam
Young
Lawler
Okoronkwo

ILB'ers youngins Littleton, Kiser & Howard should benefit playing with the 10 yr vet CM. Cory Littleton (who sure appears to be a keeper) in the middle of Rams long term plans..... started for the first time along with calling the defense last season. He & Ramik Wilson (who was starting for Barron) had problems early with limiting big gapping runs up the middle. CM with his size 6-3 255lbs & experience should be a cure for that issue. CM has nearly 30lbs on Cory. Cory should be a much better complete inside LB'er with CM here now.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would agree with 100%.

That's where I would play him more often. Coach Barry already has 5 very young LB'ers in his Edge Rusher cadre all under 25 yr old & I would expect to see another added in this draft too.

Fowler
Ebukam
Young
Lawler
Okoronkwo

ILB'ers youngins Littleton, Kiser & Howard should benefit playing with the 10 yr vet CM. Cory Littleton (who sure appears to be a keeper) in the middle of Rams long term plans..... started for the first time along with calling the defense last season. He & Ramik Wilson (who was starting for Barron) had problems early with limiting big gapping runs up the middle. CM with his size 6-3 255lbs & experience should be a cure for that issue. CM has nearly 30lbs on Cory. Cory should be a much better complete inside LB'er with CM here now.

The biggest issue I see with The Rams right now is signing a Big D ‘Tackle !! The LBers have room to grow.The good thing about Clay is you can move him around to find mismatches which Wade likes.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The biggest issue I see with The Rams right now is signing a Big D ‘Tackle !! The LBers have room to grow.The good thing about Clay is you can move him around to find mismatches which Wade likes.

Agree. I hope 31 is a trench pick, O or D.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

My fingers will be crossed that #1 Dexter Lawrence will be available when the Rams pick and #2 The Rams will select him if he is still available!!!

dang

Legend
My fingers will be crossed that #1 Dexter Lawrence will be available when the Rams pick and #2 The Rams will select him if he is still available!!!
Would we prefer Lawrence with a first round pick - or - trade down and maybe get Simmons in the second round (and pick up another 3rd round pick)?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree. I hope 31 is a trench pick, O or D.

That is sort of the craziness of Rams Fans right now !! WHO is Screaming about The D” Line !!! SUH is gone & after the Falcons Home Playoff lose everyone was saying , the game was lost when BROCKERS went out.
At the End of the season A lot of Ram Fans were calling to cut Brockers for Cap Space !!

Now WHO is the Starting D’Tackles ??

Clay & Weddle bring so much to a defense.How much would they have cost Last off season?? Both players are as hungry as ever , plus are So Cal. Guys !! Talib & Peters are cool Cats as well. Johnson is a baller.
— Fowler & Donald move around up front a lot that has a good flavor to it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/07/nfl-rams-clay-matthews-coverage-stats/

Clay Matthews' coverage ability at OLB is added bonus for Rams
By: Cameron DaSilva | April 7, 2019

The Los Angeles Rams entered the offseason needing to bolster their outside pass rush. Samson Ebukam fell short of expectations in 2018 and Dante Fowler Jr. was set to become a free agent. They locked up Fowler before he hit the open market, but they also added a proven veteran in Clay Matthews.

The all-time leader in sacks for the Packers will play multiple positions for the Rams, switching between inside and outside linebacker. His pass-rushing skills have fallen off in recent years, but he’s confident he can still be an impact player.

One area of his game that gets somewhat overlooked is his coverage ability. He was asked to drop into coverage plenty in Green Bay, and it’s easy to see why. He’s adept at retreating and covering ground in the middle, using his athleticism to make throws difficult for quarterbacks.

Pro Football Focus shared some stats about Matthews’ coverage skills over the past decade, showing how capable he is when dropping back.

In his 10 years in the NFL, Matthews has dropped into coverage 911 times after he lined up as an edge defender, which is fifth-most among all edge defenders in that span. He’s performed well on those snaps too, earning the ninth-best coverage grade (84.6) among those with 100 or more coverage snaps. Among the players who were targeted at least 50 times within those 10 years, Matthews’ allowed catch rate of 73.3% ranks seventh, while his 82.4 passer rating allowed ranks sixth.

In Wade Phillips’ scheme, like all 3-4 defenses, outside linebackers are asked to drop into coverage every so often. Fowler didn’t do much of it last season as he was primarily a pass rusher, leaving the responsibility for Ebukam and others to handle.

Assuming Fowler is coming off the edge as a pass rusher on most snaps, Matthews should see plenty of opportunities to cover tight ends and buzz into the flat. He’ll also contribute at inside linebacker where he’ll have to cover the middle of the field, too, so that experience will come in handy for the Rams.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I remember seeing Samson getting beat many times on 3rd down completions and wondering why he was covering the receiver to begin with. I think we'll see an improvement in that area. Good thing is Littleton is no slouch, grading out as 11th best last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams officially lost only one of the four starting Rams Lb'ers from the 2018 NFC championship team. But they did lose both of our veteran reserve ILB'ers due to UFA'cy (Bryce Hager/ Ramik Wilson). Wilson did start & play often early in the 2018 season in place of Mark Barron.theWade did not lose any of his ER's/OLB'ers. Wade is in good condition @ the two OLB'er positions where he had all of his five young OLB'ers return. Thus the interior LB'ers is where the questions are.

So with the loss of (3)Three veteran interior LB'ers.....Snead signed 6× Pro Bowl (20092012, 2014, 2015) Clay Matthews. However, CM is mostly known as an edge rusher. But as time has rolled on CM found himself playing inside & out. "ClayMaker" can effectively play any of the four Ram LB'er posts.

My big question is where will the new 6-3 255-pound LB'er Clay Matthews line up & play most in Wade's defense?

Right side OLB? Where Ebukam primarily starts
Left side OLB? Where Fowler primarily starts
WSILB? Vacated Barron position.
MLB? This is the post Littleton started in 2018.

Is there any recent news on the 2019 season plan @ the two ILB'er posts? Will Cory Littleton slide over to the vacated Barron post where he can use his rangy lighter 6-3/228 lb frame toward the weakside? Will Wade/ Barry insert the Rams only true prototype MLB'er 6-0 245 pound Micah Kiser into the starting 2018 Littleton post? Why would Kiser (whose skills do not work well in the Barron position) be forced into the vacated ILB'er Barron post? Will the Rams do not use CM as a starter in this defense but as a rotational defender? Does 2018 Snead draft LB'er 6-1/220-225lbs (ex-safety) Travin Howard have a big role in this 2019 defense?:bueller:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams officially lost only one of the four starting Rams Lb'ers from the 2018 NFC championship team. But they did lose both of our veteran reserve ILB'ers due to UFA'cy (Bryce Hager/ Ramik Wilson). Wilson did start & play often early in the 2018 season in place of Mark Barron.theWade did not lose any of his ER's/OLB'ers. Wade is in good condition @ the two OLB'er positions where he had all of his five young OLB'ers return. Thus the interior LB'ers is where the questions are.

So with the loss of (3)Three veteran interior LB'ers.....Snead signed 6× Pro Bowl (20092012, 2014, 2015) Clay Matthews. However, CM is mostly known as an edge rusher. But as time has rolled on CM found himself playing inside & out. "ClayMaker" can effectively play any of the four Ram LB'er posts.

My big question is where will the new 6-3 255-pound LB'er Clay Matthews line up & play most in Wade's defense?

Is there any recent news on the 2019 season plan @ the two ILB'er posts? Will Cory Littleton slide over to the vacated Barron post where he can use his rangy lighter 6-3/228 lb frame toward the weakside? Will Wade/ Barry insert the Rams only true prototype MLB'er 6-0 245 pound Micah Kiser into the starting 2018 Littleton post? Why would Kiser (whose skills do not work well in the Barron position) be forced into the vacated ILB'er Barron post? Will the Rams do not use CM as a starter in this defense but as a rotational defender? Does 2018 Snead draft LB'er 6-1/220-225lbs (ex-safety) Travin Howard have a big role in this 2019 defense?:bueller:

I'm guessing that Littleton will slide over - remember he caught the Rams' eyes by basically playing for Barron in practic most of 2017 - and it seems likely that is his best position.

I suspect the Rams see Matthews as taking time from Ebu and Kiser at least initially - and that time increasing if one of those two is just not playing well. It wouldn't shock me if an ILB falls, or if a really nice value at edge rusher drops to them if that plan changes after the draft.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’m still of the belief, and maybe foolishly so, that Bryce Hager will resign with the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.sportsaldente.com/clay-matthews-impact-on-the-rams-defense/

Clay Matthews Impact On The Rams Defense

Ryan Anderson
It is no secret that Clay Matthews wanted to come home to Southern California, he grew up 30 miles from the LA Memorial Coliseum and walked on for USC. The Rams wasted little time obliging him when free agency opened this spring.

Clay Matthews may not have the impact of the defense he once had. Last season, the biggest headlines Matthews made were roughing the passer penalties and he has seemed to lost a step or two in the last few years, posting a statistically limp 2018.

Matthews is among several blockbuster free agents to join the Rams this offseason on defense as they attempt to one-up their Super Bowl run from last season. Matthews is convinced he can make a difference stating during his introductory press conference, “I know I have the ability to produce as I’ve done before. Not to make excuses, but there was some change last year in the Packers organization and unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me. As far as moving forward, I know I’m a difference maker.”The Rams see his difference-making potential in two major categories.

Skill Set
The Rams are taking a page from the Patriots playbook and asking what this guy CAN do, not what he CAN’T. Green Bay’s defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine looked at him to fill the role they needed, a traditional inside linebacker, which often dropped him back into pass coverage. What Matthews’ does best is to utilize his vision and understanding of offenses to penetrate into the backfield.

As Sean McVay put it, “When you have a player that has that versatile skill set, you can utilize him in a variety of ways. I think, obviously, what he does at an extremely high level is when he’s going forward and trying to affect and influence the quarterback, rushing the quarterback, setting the edge in the run game. So I think you’ll see a lot of that. But then when you get into some of those known-passing situations, you can get creative with where you’re moving him around.”

Similarly, the Patriots had success using Dont’a Hightower to act as a hybrid linebacker. What the Patriots don’t have is Dante Fowler and Aaron Donald. The Rams are looking for Clay Matthews to read the offense and, in essence, call defensive audibles.

Leadership
Going into last season, the Ram defense was compared to some of the great defenses of all-time and for good reason. They added Ndamukong Suh and Aqib Talib to an already stellar defense. They never lived up to those comparisons, ranking 19th and 20th in yards per game and points per game respectively.

The unsigned, Ndamukong Suh has never been known as a “good teammate” and showed his lack of leadership by essentially taking the regular season off from playing with any vigor. Matthews will be the antithesis of Suh for the Rams. He is a charismatic and inspiring football player. He leads by example and with raw power and emotion on the field. It is an intangible portion of the game that was lacking from last year that Matthews brings in spades.

Clay Matthews also brings playoff and Super Bowl experience. An astounding statistic from Super Bowl 53 was that the Patriots had 38 players on their 53-man roster with Super Bowl experience. The Rams had four. Matthews has played in 15 playoff games, including a Super Bowl victory. That experience will matter to everyone from Sean McVay on down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That is sort of the craziness of Rams Fans right now !! WHO is Screaming about The D” Line !!! SUH is gone & after the Falcons Home Playoff lose everyone was saying , the game was lost when BROCKERS went out.
At the End of the season A lot of Ram Fans were calling to cut Brockers for Cap Space !!

Now WHO is the Starting D’Tackles ??

Clay & Weddle bring so much to a defense.How much would they have cost Last off season?? Both players are as hungry as ever , plus are So Cal. Guys !! Talib & Peters are cool Cats as well. Johnson is a baller.
— Fowler & Donald move around up front a lot that has a good flavor to it.

I have to say I like The Rams 2019 draft !!
Gaines at DT makes Brockers that much mire dangerous.

Add Travis Rapp The Rams can mix & match him with clay. Both guys know how to get to the QB. Clay to me is not a MLB ,but is a guy you can move around to add to the strength of the defense. Lineman have to always know where he is libeling up.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Clay to me is not a MLB ,but is a guy you can move around to add to the strength of the defense. Lineman have to always know where he is libeling up.

:rant:You’re the worst lineman in the history of the league!!
:rant:Your mother wears combat boots!
:rant:You’re so fat, when you sit around the house, you sit AROUND the house!!

:eek: You’re right, @So Ram , the Rams legal department is going to be busy keeping Matthews out of litigation. :whistle:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
:rant:You’re the worst lineman in the history of the league!!
:rant:Your mother wears combat boots!
:rant:You’re so fat, when you sit around the house, you sit AROUND the house!!

:eek: You’re right, @So Ram , the Rams legal department is going to be busy keeping Matthews out of litigation. :whistle:

Lining up is what I meant to say. I’m sure a lot of my post don’t make a lot of sense at times.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lining up is what I meant to say. I’m sure a lot of my post don’t make a lot of sense at times.

Yeah, damn autocorrect. Like the time I texted my boss in reply to one of his ramblings. "You're so boring. No wonder your wife and both daughters sleep with me." instead of what I had entered "Good idea, boss." Damn, damn autocorrect.

I liked that job.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, damn autocorrect. Like the time I texted my boss in reply to one of his ramblings. "You're so boring. No wonder your wife and both daughters sleep with me." instead of what I had entered "Good idea, boss." Damn, damn autocorrect.

I liked that job.

Lol !! Pretty funny

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’m not sold on Kiser !! Can he play call ??
-The Rams just brought back Hager ?? For depth ??

I’m trying to envision what The Rams 2019 will look like.