CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Day 9: Mon, Aug 9

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sucks to hear about T Lewis...but, unless regenerative medicine comes on leaps and bounds in the next few months, his knee is toast. Degenerative conditions don't improve. The best they can hope for, is to load-manage his ass, and get him involved on certain plays.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Thanks for the report. Hey if Allen turns into a Pro Bowler that would be great. He can move people in the run game and I never saw a lack of bulk as the issue. It was his small arms and frame that were a massive liability in pass pro.

But I also see Evans as a massive liability as well. So if Allen is actually highly improved then best 5 is the right move. We know Corbett can play well at RG.

We are a lineman short of a functional group in my book. Maybe signing a vet that gets cut will be coming.
Allen's arm length wasn't an issue, his are actually pretty long, especially for his height (32.38), longer than Sullivan and Corey Linsley, for example.
Bulk, strength and experience were his biggest issues, imo.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I get the concern about Allen's tape from 2019 - it was bad. Really bad.

But things are not static, things change. If Allen really is much bigger and bulkier and holding his own against guys like SJD, Gaines, and ARob then maybe he is truly different, maybe he had progressed and gotten better. I doubt he put on the extra weight by sitting around eating Funyons while not doing anything football-related.

We've seen several reports from different sources that Allen looks like a different and much better guy. Sometimes good news is really just that. Sometimes you've just gotta take yes for an answer. This may be one such time.

I wouldn't have given Allen the benefit of the doubt going into camp, but from what we are hearing now from multiple sources, I think he's earned it.
Brian Allen! Stunning!

I was on the "no hope for Allen" bandwagon, but I would love to eat crow on that. A previous thread included some "lowlights" of Allen's tape vs. Carolina, and man did he look awful. Allen was consistently overpowered and got rag-dolled more than once.. He just looked undersized and overmatched.

At the time I said the ONLY thing that could save Allen was if he got on a "steroid diet." Lol. Well... I don't know what changed this past year (maybe just diet and elite weight training), but whatever the hell it was, he sure seems bulked up and more powerful than 2 years ago.

One of my biggest concerns was about the interior OL... and if Allen is outperforming Evans, more power to him!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jefferson…

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Don't be surprised folks if Allen ends up being the starting C game one of the regular season.

She also speculates that Allen-Corbett combo is a net positive over Corbett-Evans and it may not entirely be that Allen is beating Corbett out.

It sounds like a combination thing.

This is great news, IMO. Center feels like the harder hole to plug…. If the coaches see them both first team worthy, guard seems easier to shuffle people around to fill in case of injury.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Matthew Stafford going deep, outside linebackers' length and speed: 10 Observations from Day 9​

IRVINE, Calif. – Day 9 of 2021 Rams Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union saw quarterback Matthew Stafford continue to not be shy about throwing the ball deep downfield, and also provided a chance to see the length and speed of a couple of the outside linebackers on display.

Staff writer Stu Jackson shares 10 Observations from the session:

1) Matthew Stafford goes deep, again: In a play almost identical to the deep completion he had to wide receiver DeSean Jackson against the Cowboys on Saturday, the 13-year quarterback rolled to his left, back to his right, then readjusted his feet (base) and launched a deep ball downfield to wide receiver Van Jefferson for the touchdown during 11-on-11 drills.

2) Leonard Floyd looking good: The sixth-year outside linebacker was sharp in one-on-ones against the offensive line, using his length to his advantage. He also had a "sack" – Stafford had a red (no-contact) jersey on, but Floyd got close enough without making contact to kill the play – during 11-on-11, move-the-ball drills.

3) Another Floyd note: While it's not the first time it's happened, it's still worth noting when it does. During those same one-on-one drills, Floyd took a hands-on approach to giving rookie Chris Garrett guidance after one of Garrett's reps. Floyd said during organized team activities this spring that he actively tries to mentor the younger EDGE players, so this marked a continuation of that.

4) Outside linebacker Ogbo Okoronkwo showing speed: In a couple different ways. First, the former Oklahoma standout displayed fast hands in one-on-one drills between the offensive line to beat his blocker, and also from a general pure speed standpoint.

5) Another strong matchup between wide receiver Robert Woods and cornerback Jalen Ramsey during one-on-ones: Especially on one particular rep where Woods reached above his frame to snag a Stafford pass, only to have Ramsey knock the ball loose before he could pull it down and complete the catch.

6) Ernest Jones in the backfield: While the rookie linebacker has been noted for his work in coverage during training camp, on Monday he worked his way into the backfield for a run stop.

7) Kareem Orr active again: The defensive back made an athletic play downfield near the left sideline when he leapt and used his outstretched arm to deflect a pass – this coming off of a pass-breakup and a near-interception in Saturday's joint practice against the Cowboys.

8) Brian Allen getting reps at first-team center: With Austin Corbett at right guard. Rams head coach Sean McVay said this combination was a reflection of how well Allen has played, as well as knowing Corbett can play really well at right guard. However, McVay also said they're still in the middle of evaluating what the best starting five offensive line combination looks like.

9) "Thud" Day: As was the case against the Cowboys on Saturday, the Rams were in pads, but also placed an emphasis on keeping players on their feet.

10) Defensive lineman Sebastian Joseph-Day and OLB Terrell Lewis did not practice. McVay told reporters post-practice Joseph-Day was held out due to an ankle issue stemming from Saturday's joint practice against the Cowboys, but it was just for precautionary reasons. Lewis did not practice because his knee was "acting up."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ernest Jones in the backfield: While the rookie linebacker has been noted for his work in coverage during training camp, on Monday he worked his way into the backfield for a run stop.

Funk, Harris, Rochelle early camp buzz…

Ernest Jones has been more of late camp buzz... and hot-damn… it is sweet music to my ears. Can’t wait for preseason!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Funk, Harris, Rochelle early camp buzz…

Ernest Jones has been more of late camp buzz... and hot-damn… it is sweet music to my ears. Can’t wait for preseason!
I learned not to get my hopes up for rookies. If it happens, it happens in September. But as a whole it’s sounding like a great draft plucked from a bad draft class. They are making it difficult to temper my hopes and dreams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I learned not to get my hopes up for rookies. If it happens, it happens in September. But as a whole it’s sounding like a great draft plucked from a bad draft class. They are making it difficult to temper my hopes and dreams.
YJYbj1H.png

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
One practice doesn't mean Allen has won the job. They could be testing out different O line combinations in case of injury. I think we'll have a better idea after the first preseason game.

Tano

Legend
I still say they should have drafted Biadesz instead of Hopkins (grumble grumble grumble)

I know I know - they knew they were losing Everett and wanted a stopgap but ....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or that Evans is doing that bad that they’re thinking about putting Corbett back at RG.
Brian Allen getting reps at first-team center: With Austin Corbett at right guard. Rams head coach Sean McVay said this combination was a reflection of how well Allen has played, as well as knowing Corbett can play really well at right guard. However, McVay also said they're still in the middle of evaluating what the best starting five offensive line combination looks like.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I just don't get what's up with Hopkins. Dude was a stud at Purdue and I was excited we got him as a "steal" in the mid rounds when you look at his numbers. But man, how he's fallen..

Psycho_X

Legend
God it would be great if Obo stays healthy and really shines this year. Between him and Hollins we won't have to worry about Lewis knee if he does.

Ernest Jones will be starting it's just a matter of how soon.

Orr making a name for himself. We've got an abundance of riches in the secondary it seems.