CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Day 9: Mon, Aug 9

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seems a lot of moving around at center.
Does appear to be some mixing of this stew does not not.

Just from reports, Brian Allen might be on par with new center Austin Corbett in that #1 center post. Which will cause a meltdown :bomb: :angry::fire1::emergency:in here when Allen wins that position.

But there might be other elements taking place just to the right of center too. Nothing has been reported going on @ RG where Evans is the brand new starter on #1 Ol team........Carberry is now back from covid & being away from TC .....might not like what he is seeing & has more of a concern with Bobby Evans @ RG. I have not seen anything on Evans from our camp reporters.:shock:

Might be that Carberry just like Corbett playing RG more than Evans.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm sure you already know this...

They can't have any stones left unturned @OldSchool

Having the best 5 O-Lineman on the field for the 2021 season opener has no room for error.

th
Having the best 5 Ol'ers on the field mean Noteboom who certainly would be inside that #5 group moving back to OG?

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing about Allen is, as much as we were frustrated with his play/film, I guarantee he was far more upset. Sounds like he used it as motivation to improve. Good stuff, we will see how it plays out

About T. Lewis, I don't get the irritation in here. If he is not on the field, he is not taking Reps away from anyone. The pick was a gamble, first round talent at a 3rd round price. If it doesn't work out, so be it. Many Many Many 3rd round picks don't work out. The hind sight game is really annoying, and even if you didn't like the pick, it is done, and we are now looking for the best 53.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thing on Lewis Taking reps from someone else. If he wasn't there, someone else would be, and they would be taking those reps, if not more, seeing as they would be fully healthy.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
To me, if you're rotating Centers in and out, it means you don't have one that's clearly above the other. Which is worrisome considering they've tried to gamble on not adding OL and rolling with what they have, only to bite them in the ass. PARTICULARLY at Center.

nighttrain

Legend
To me, if you're rotating Centers in and out, it means you don't have one that's clearly above the other. Which is worrisome considering they've tried to gamble on not adding OL and rolling with what they have, only to bite them in the ass. PARTICULARLY at Center.
Rams center will not be Blythe, that alone is an improvement. Let the best available player win
train

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks for the report. Hey if Allen turns into a Pro Bowler that would be great. He can move people in the run game and I never saw a lack of bulk as the issue. It was his small arms and frame that were a massive liability in pass pro.

But I also see Evans as a massive liability as well. So if Allen is actually highly improved then best 5 is the right move. We know Corbett can play well at RG.

We are a lineman short of a functional group in my book. Maybe signing a vet that gets cut will be coming.
I have not read Bubba Rams cenotaph report,but Inwas there as well.

Brian Allen I called was going to be the starting center after the Dallas scrimmage & the Stafford sack.

In camp Bobby Evans has been getting beat. Imo he is better at LG than RG. I also think he was better at RT than RG.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
FYI regarding the center position.

Kolone was also snapping the ball with the 2's. He snapped one in the dirt.

Guess they are looking to see if there is another back up option.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But his snaps should be going to other people that will help us win.
You keep saying stuff like this when the issue is that he is NOT taking those snaps from anyone because he's not taking snaps PERIOD.

If he takes a roster spot then I can see that being a problem if he still can't play. If that happens, I just hope his actual production in limited play helps the team more than a player taking a roster spot and NEVER seeing the field or only being there as a body for garbage time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brian Allen is just a bum to me. Maybe it's because he looked bad out there before being hurt or that he's just bad. Just don't have good vibes about him.
Well looks like Carberry thinks differently. He didn’t know him back then.

Went to SOFI OTA’s & Brian Allen was the 2nd team RG. Now he is The Rams starting Center role for a minute.

Kolone was getting a lot of playing time.Don’t know where Coleman Shelton was ?

1628605608997.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
FYI regarding the center position.

Kolone was also snapping the ball with the 2's. He snapped one in the dirt.

Guess they are looking to see if there is another back up option.
Yep

Kolone was getting a new try here in 2021 with the two new OL coaches (Been here as a Ram since 2018) with Kolone now having all his attentions being directed towards CENTER, not both the OG positions as it was with Kromer. If you recall Kolone was the starting center for the SD Fleet & Mike Martz a few years back.

In Kolone's case, he is surely a different model of a center being 6-3 and somewhere between 315 and 320 lbs. This Center is stout.

Coleman Shelton 6-4/299
Austin Corbett 6-4/306
Brian Allen 6-1/303

In reference to Shelton it appears from all that I have gathered from photos and reports that he has been mainly involved as the back up OG not OC.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coleman Shelton had an issue with his toe and was kept out yesterday.

If Allen starts at C and Corbett at RG, they will need someone to emerge as backup C to keep Corbett at RG if Allen goes down. Looks like that's going to be between Shelton and Kolone. I expect to see a lot of both of them Saturday.

Corbett 306lbs, Allen 303lbs? Right now Allen is obviously bigger than Corbett and I bet both are heavier than 310.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I get the concern about Allen's tape from 2019 - it was bad. Really bad.

But things are not static, things change. If Allen really is much bigger and bulkier and holding his own against guys like SJD, Gaines, and ARob then maybe he is truly different, maybe he had progressed and gotten better. I doubt he put on the extra weight by sitting around eating Funyons while not doing anything football-related.

We've seen several reports from different sources that Allen looks like a different and much better guy. Sometimes good news is really just that. Sometimes you've just gotta take yes for an answer. This may be one such time.

I wouldn't have given Allen the benefit of the doubt going into camp, but from what we are hearing now from multiple sources, I think he's earned it.
Well, was kinda of premature the bury a 2nd yr player after his first 5-6 career starts then he is seriously injured. So two yrs later of getting stronger, receiving more coaching, and gaining more overall knowledge of the NFL, it is not surprising that he looks like a different player.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'm there with you as far as the draft goes. I wanted a young center drafted like Humphrey signed to bolster our depth there. Gotta hope that Allen or Corbett can play center well since that's our reality at the moment.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Here I am wondering who the hell Coleman Shelton is and it turns out this mfer played 26 games with us and has been on two NFC W rosters before ours.

I guess if you play O-Line and can get 26 games in without making a name for yourself that's good? I would imagine not many snaps per game, but if he beefed up that could be a nice addition.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coleman Shelton had an issue with his toe and was kept out yesterday.

If Allen starts at C and Corbett at RG, they will need someone to emerge as backup C to keep Corbett at RG if Allen goes down. Looks like that's going to be between Shelton and Kolone. I expect to see a lot of both of them Saturday.

Corbett 306lbs, Allen 303lbs? Right now Allen is obviously bigger than Corbett and I bet both are heavier than 310.
What time are you getting out there today ? I owe you a beer

I think it is easier than that though. Corbett can play Center. The Rams can just switch Austin Corbett back if Allen was to get hurt.
There just getting ready for the preseason as well. Kolone is just a guy Mcvay trust & can count on.
—Bobby Evans just hasn’t looked that good in training camp.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, was kinda of premature the bury a 2nd yr player after his first 5-6 career starts then he is seriously injured. So two yrs later of getting stronger, receiving more coaching, and gaining more overall knowledge of the NFL, it is not surprising that he looks like a different player.
....and not saying he is going to be good, just saying it was not fair to bury the kid. Now we buried Demby early on and 2 yrs later he obviously did not progress enough for them to keep him. Hopefully Allen does improve.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Having the best 5 Ol'ers on the field mean Noteboom who certainly would be inside that #5 group moving back to OG?
I think Boom's days of being part of our best 5 left with Kromer. He just was not objective.

IMO Boom is definitely the backup LT. But beyond that I don't think he is first guy off the bench at OG and that is a good thing if true. Same with RT. The guy is not strong enough IMO.