CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Day 9: Mon, Aug 9

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
CAMP REPORT AUG 9

This will be a brief report as I just read through this thread and I see Jordon doing her best again. Everything she is reporting is what Bubba and I saw today.
Seeing Allen at C and Corbet at RG was a shock. But even more shocking was all the different looks the O line had. It was almost like they had a pass blocking line when it was a pass play and then changed out everybody on the O line for a run play. Lots of players getting lots of different looks.
K. Orr is something else! What a great pick up by the Rams staff. Pass break ups, pass defended, almost intercepted one on Higbee.
Van Jefferson is light years ahead of last year! He runs great routes, gets good separation and when he is covered tight, high points the ball and comes down with the contested catches. Some of his moves are impressive. He's breaking a lot of DB's ankles out there.
Jake Funk is just fun to watch! He ran one in from about 8 yards out, good cuts, balance and fast. No one really touched him. I guess we could give credit to the O line for it's blocking scheme.
D Henderson broke off a long run due to some excellent blocking that created a huge hole up the middle.

I think today the D won. Had a few sacks, a couple of tipped balls and plenty of pass break ups. The O had it's moments as previously stated, but I felt today was the first day that my Rams may actually be human and not all have super powers! We're going to win a lot of games but we will also lose some in the process. My prediction? 13-4 at the best and 11-6 at our worst.

Now to edit the pictures I took and post those in another thread later tonight.

You all take care,

VRF
Maybe I find you 2 for a beer. Anyway
What about D. Williams spraining his ankle ? I just know he got taken out & #21 DD was playing RCB on an island. No balls thrown his way really.

1628630898178.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reggie checking it out & then Williams saying what happened.
Will see if Williams is out there today ?
1628630985708.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So just how bad would it upset ROD'ers in here if McVay/Carberry were able to start the same 4/5ths of 2020 at the same posts in this OL?:thinking:That it very might be only the center Austin Blythe post that will have a new starter? Nothing new there.:sunglasses:

Rams will have the same #6 Joe Noteboom entering his 4th season & #7 Bobby Evans as the swing RT/OG entering his 3rd season. If that was not enough good news last year's outstanding rookie OT/OG Tremayne Anchrum continues to impressed in Training Camp thus far, is also here to fill the needed master roster positions for the start of the regular season.

So the only real question yet to be solved is who will start at the center & who will be the top reserve center? It appears those two answers will come from the following four OL'ers. Brian Allen/ Shelton Coleman & Jeremiah Kolone along with some veteran starter Austin Corbett all having turns with Brian Allen who entering his 4th Training Camp trending as the leader at this point in time.:clinkingbeer::party2::part::laugh1::fistbump1:

To round out 2nd yr OT/OG Chandler Brewer has returned & put in a solid camp along with OT/OG rookie AJ. Jackson looks to be a keeper too. OL coaches seem to like the promise of rookie center Jordan Meredith too.

About the possibility that Allen will be Rams starting OC…

Don’t understand why some discount his ability to significantly improve his play.

Others on this Ram roster have done so without the general disbelief. For example:

Jefferson
Obo
SJD
Darious Williams
Hollins
Fuller
Burgess

Just to name a few…

Btw, maybe Evans just isn’t an OG? Perhaps his best position is RT?

I haven’t been able to see full game replays of 2019 but did watch what I could find on YouTube.

In those games I have not seen Allen looking as bad as some others. I also agree with @BonifayRam’s critique of the unit as a whole.

The two guys on either side of Allen in those first few games before he got hurt were not great players, and gave the youngster no help as they were get their azzes handed to them regularly.

Having a new OL Coach getting a look at these guys is a good thing. Seeing them on pads the last couple of weeks is a lot different than shorts and helmets.

I think they should all get some time in preseason to help vet them against others players in pads. But, there aren’t many teams out there with a better DL than the Rams.

So once again, I trust the coaching staff what they see and what their plan is a lot more than fans, even those who get to watch camp in person.

I want the best group possible and wish them all an injury free season.

I can't get on board with Allen for a few reasons.

1. He hasn't really been doing football practice until his knee was healthy. How much can studying without reps improve an Online man?

2. When he started on 2019 McVay talked him up a lot then too. I don't pay much attention to that anymore.

3. Allen's biggest problem was reaching his second level blocks in the run game, the same as Noteboom. Does getting bigger and stronger really improve that skill?

4. Evans must be bad since Allen was not part of the plan originally. I believe Jourdan is over thinking it and that they simply prefer Allen's pass pro to keep Stafford safe. I guess if he can pass block better than Blythe and run block worse it is a push. So it just feels like we are back to where we were a year ago.

5. It took long time for his knee to heal. Hopefully that isn't an indicator that it was not more complications that could rear their heads.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Allen tears it up in both run and pass blocking. I don't mind being proven wrong if it improves the team. If Evans really isn't a better option, then I certainly don't want him starting. We've heard a lot about other backups like Brewer. Why aren't they getting more reps at guard or even Allen who was listed as a G\C?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't get on board with Allen for a few reasons.

1. He hasn't really been doing football practice until his knee was healthy. How much can studying without reps improve an Online man?

2. When he started on 2019 McVay talked him up a lot then too. I don't pay much attention to that anymore.

3. Allen's biggest problem was reaching his second level blocks in the run game, the same as Noteboom. Does getting bigger and stronger really improve that skill?

4. Evans must be bad since Allen was not part of the plan originally. I believe Jourdan is over thinking it and that they simply prefer Allen's pass pro to keep Stafford safe. I guess if he can pass block better than Blythe and run block worse it is a push. So it just feels like we are back to where we were a year ago.

5. It took long time for his knee to heal. Hopefully that isn't an indicator that it was not more complications that could rear their heads.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Allen tears it up in both run and pass blocking. I don't mind being proven wrong if it improves the team. If Evans really isn't a better option, then I certainly don't want him starting. We've heard a lot about other backups like Brewer. Why aren't they getting more reps at guard or even Allen who was listed as a G\C?
Really have to wonder how much Carberry being out effected things.

Pretty sure in OTAs Allen was one of the front runners mentioned for C.

oldnotdead

Legend
Merlin, Nick Bosa is an elite edge rusher and is going to eat up most of the LT's in the NFL. I think Noteboom is underrated and will give good service at LT. If there are times facing someone like Bosa you give Joe some help with a blocker in the backfield or play 12 personnel with Hopkins giving Joe help with a chip. There are damn few LTs that win every matchup. Even our current version of Whitworth doesn't win every time. That's why if the current version of Whit is good enough then Noteboom should be just fine and IMO will only get better as he gets experience. Joe is only 26 and still developing. He's got elite traits and I think given the opportunity and staying healthy he will become one of the better LTs in the NFL. IMO Noteboom has that level of talent.

I'm more concerned about RT than LT at this point. Havenstein is a clear weakness and if SF wants to exploit anyone it's going to be Rob. Dunlap proved the book on Havenstein, i.e. he can't handle speed and power. Bosa will eat his lunch every time. They need someone with better feet on the right side, but Kromer squandered that when he put Edwards at LG. Edwards has the 2nd best feet on the OL, second only to Noteboom. They really need to play Edwards at RT, Corbett at LG, and let Evans stay at RG. Since they are not likely to do that, is why I'm looking at Alaric as a potential RT next year. His strength is run blocking which makes him a natural fit at RT.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started Jackson and Brewer at OT on Saturday. They could play both the entire game switching sides each half. This will give Carberry all he needs to see how his depth at OT really is. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they played the 2nd unit OL all game maybe rotating an individual player to change the combination. With only 3 preseason games they really will only have 2 to get their 2nd unit built. IMO the majority of the players playing in the 3rd game aren't going to make the team. Perhaps one or two might as STs guys, but the first and key second unit guys won't play that 3rd game.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
But he was facing a Cards rush highlighted by Marcus Golden. I mean again the metric off that blindside edge is Bosa IMO and beating SF is gonna be a big deal. Can Boom do that? I say that Bosa would eat him but I honestly don't know.

This is what concerns me: Teams all around the league have been loading up their D's with these types of guys the last few drafts, while the Rams seem content to tread water with OL. I feel like a lot of fan discussion is a little tunnel-visioned in that regard, because while we're improving in areas and its easy to see, other teams are too. It's relative.

Imho I think our most important dropoff since 2018 has been run blocking, although it improved greatly over 2019, there was another drop when Boom was in there last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah! I guess therams.com shouldn't have assumed everyone would recognize all of them--feels kind of disrespectful to these guys. I'd probably recognize a lot of them, if they were identified.
No doubt. It's kind of a shame that they didn't list on the site for the event who was attending. I think it's a respect thing for those players. But I will say that if I had attended that camp I would have gone out of my way to talk ball with as many of them as I could and probably would have missed most of the practice. Nothing quite like the insight you can get from those old timers. :thumbsup1:

This is what concerns me: Teams all around the league have been loading up their D's with these types of guys the last few drafts, while the Rams seem content to tread water with OL. I feel like a lot of fan discussion is a little tunnel-visioned in that regard, because while we're improving in areas and its easy to see, other teams are too. It's relative.

Imho I think our most important dropoff since 2018 has been run blocking, although it improved greatly over 2019, there was another drop when Boom was in there last year.
I agree with the run blocking. In fact the WCO in general is damn near unstoppable when the run game is going. Last two years teams focused that pretty hard daring us to beat them over the top and the ones who were good enough up front gave us all sorts of probs.

My concern is that after going and getting Stafford McVay will get pass happy. Because Stafford will be able to punish teams that load the LOS. But that run game balance is still going to be huge for the playoffs. It's a big concern of mine, right up there with Morris as a first year DC with us.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My concern is that after going and getting Stafford McVay will get pass happy. Because Stafford will be able to punish teams that load the LOS. But that run game balance is still going to be huge for the playoffs. It's a big concern of mine, right up there with Morris as a first year DC with us.

Losing Akers only feels likely to bring on more Stafford cocaine. The good news, McVay ain’t no druggie… he just acts like he’s on something good.

:D

(Thats some really bad Snead-like word games right there.)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Really have to wonder how much Carberry being out effected things.

Pretty sure in OTAs Allen was one of the front runners mentioned for C.
I thought he was mentioned as a Guard candidate in OTAs and Shelton was the one talked about as a backup center.

Either way the coaches will praise all of them if asked. It’s unproductive to beat down a players ego by saying, he’s doing okay.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought he was mentioned as a Guard candidate in OTAs and Shelton was the one talked about as a backup center.

Either way the coaches will praise all of them if asked. It’s unproductive to beat down a players ego by saying, he’s doing okay.
I think in reality the players know the deal. They know if someone is outperforming them. Hopefully they use it as motivation and want the best for the team.

dang

Legend
Merlin, Nick Bosa is an elite edge rusher and is going to eat up most of the LT's in the NFL. I think Noteboom is underrated and will give good service at LT. If there are times facing someone like Bosa you give Joe some help with a blocker in the backfield or play 12 personnel with Hopkins giving Joe help with a chip. There are damn few LTs that win every matchup. Even our current version of Whitworth doesn't win every time. That's why if the current version of Whit is good enough then Noteboom should be just fine and IMO will only get better as he gets experience. Joe is only 26 and still developing. He's got elite traits and I think given the opportunity and staying healthy he will become one of the better LTs in the NFL. IMO Noteboom has that level of talent.

I'm more concerned about RT than LT at this point. Havenstein is a clear weakness and if SF wants to exploit anyone it's going to be Rob. Dunlap proved the book on Havenstein, i.e. he can't handle speed and power. Bosa will eat his lunch every time. They need someone with better feet on the right side, but Kromer squandered that when he put Edwards at LG. Edwards has the 2nd best feet on the OL, second only to Noteboom. They really need to play Edwards at RT, Corbett at LG, and let Evans stay at RG. Since they are not likely to do that, is why I'm looking at Alaric as a potential RT next year. His strength is run blocking which makes him a natural fit at RT.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started Jackson and Brewer at OT on Saturday. They could play both the entire game switching sides each half. This will give Carberry all he needs to see how his depth at OT really is. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they played the 2nd unit OL all game maybe rotating an individual player to change the combination. With only 3 preseason games they really will only have 2 to get their 2nd unit built. IMO the majority of the players playing in the 3rd game aren't going to make the team. Perhaps one or two might as STs guys, but the first and key second unit guys won't play that 3rd game.
Will you be calling for McVays head if Havenstein and SJD get lucky enough to survive cuts and inexplicably start for the Rams.

MachS

Hall of Fame
While I agree we will need to run the ball well to accomplish our goals and win the SB, the difference is now if we are forced to throw it, Stafford can still excel. God forbid if Hendo gets hurt or whatever the circumstance is, Stafford has literally been carrying his entire team on his arm with no running game and no defense for a decade. In known passing situations he is still deadly unlike our previous QB. So hopefully McVay sticks with the run. Hopefully X and Funk get touches and keep Hendo healthy. But if we are forced to throw it all year, we will still be very competitive and our defense + passing game will allow us to compete with all teams. But I doubt in the playoffs we can beat the truly elite teams without running the ball. GB, TB, KC, Buf.

And I know Stafford had Megatron and a good group of WRs a lot of years. But Woods, Kupp, VJ, DJax, Higbee, Harris is more firepower than he's ever had. Combined with the best offensive system in football too. He is going to have an absolutely monster year as long as the OL holds up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’ve gotta respectfully disagree with your take on Boom, Merlin.

There’s precious little to dislike about Boom’s pass pro, even against elite pass rushers. That’s on tape for all to see If one looks objectively.

The knock on Boom is with his run blocking. Not that he’s terrible by any means, but that he’s not nearly as good there as he is with his pass blocking. That’s on tape, too.

I don’t know how LOT is gonna shake out for the Rams next year, but I suspect that Boom is included somewhere in their ‘22 planning.
This team is extremely lucky to have a young pass-blocking LT like Joseph Noteboom waiting in the wings of the great Andrew Whitworth.

Noteboom will have 4 yrs of gained knowledge all from AW. That alone is something no other LT in the NFL has had!

I have zero concerns that if Noteboom was our starting LT that he would be one of our better OL'ers blocking for our veteran QB.

Call me a very Thankful Ram fan!