CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Day 9: Mon, Aug 9

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Who else do we have? The chances of getting a day 1 LT starter in the draft seems unlikely, same with getting a better option in the open market. Cam Robinson seems to be the best option who'll be a FA, and he's probably going to get overpaid by someone else. Barring a trade, chances are Noteboom is likely our guy next year, my guess is we lock him up for a two or three year deal.
I'll say this about Boom... He has looked his best at LT for us. He has improved there's no doubt about that. In that early stretch of games he did some nice things.

But imagine this guy matching up with Bosa. Bosa would eat him for breakfast. He's just a marginal dude to my eye at least.

I have no idea what the Rams' plan is at LT. I figured they'd try to get one of those guys in that last draft which was full of a lot of likely RT types but some of them had LT potential. They prioritized WR, though that might have had to do with the OTs they liked (if any) going off the board who knows. All I'm saying is if Boom was the plan they would lock his ass up. If they wait, then they gotta tag him or let him test the FA waters neither of which is good for locking a guy up somewhere in that range you want to pay them.

If they offer him a contract now for a couple years and offer him a real shot at the job that would be ideal. But with their veteran-prioritized roster building they don't have a lot of room to mess around and miss on contracts. So if they overpay Boom and he gets exposed in 2022 by guys like Bosa it's gonna be a really shitty deal.

LT is just a confusing future position right now for us my man. I mean maybe they like someone else in-house. Maybe they think Evans or Anchrum have a future there who knows. All I know is while I think Boom might be able to get better him hitting FA is poor timing for him to be "the plan." So if that is the case the Rams will definitely lock him up here real soon, otherwise they risk overpayment for a guy who might not be good enough.

oldnotdead

Legend
If that was true the Rams would have locked him up by now at a reasonable rate. He is still cheap at this juncture if you believe in him.

I tend to agree philosophically, but that does not seem to be the Ram's MO. Look how they waited on Floyd and now Darious Williams. With Williams they went with the cheaper tender route, but it's going to cost them next year if they want to extend him. IMO they know they won't afford to extend Williams so they drafted Rochell. They didn't do that this year. There is no one else on the roster that looks like Whit's replacement except Noteboom. When he's played he hasn't played badly. Has he been as dominant as Whit was in his prime? No, but he's been on par with the current level of play by Whit which is still above average. The fact Whitworth is talking retirement next year with a year remaining on his contract would seem to indicate he knows full well what the Rams want next year.

I don't see the Rams starting a second-round rookie next year and I don't think they can count on grabbing a good vet out of the FAs. There are only two FA LT's next year under 30 and all will be more expensive than Noteboom.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'll say this about Boom... He has looked his best at LT for us. He has improved there's no doubt about that. In that early stretch of games he did some nice things.

But imagine this guy matching up with Bosa. Bosa would eat him for breakfast. He's just a marginal dude to my eye at least.

I have no idea what the Rams' plan is at LT. I figured they'd try to get one of those guys in that last draft which was full of a lot of likely RT types but some of them had LT potential. They prioritized WR, though that might have had to do with the OTs they liked (if any) going off the board who knows. All I'm saying is if Boom was the plan they would lock his ass up. If they wait, then they gotta tag him or let him test the FA waters neither of which is good for locking a guy up somewhere in that range you want to pay them.

If they offer him a contract now for a couple years and offer him a real shot at the job that would be ideal. But with their veteran-prioritized roster building they don't have a lot of room to mess around and miss on contracts. So if they overpay Boom and he gets exposed in 2022 by guys like Bosa it's gonna be a really shitty deal.

LT is just a confusing future position right now for us my man. I mean maybe they like someone else in-house. Maybe they think Evans or Anchrum have a future there who knows. All I know is while I think Boom might be able to get better him hitting FA is poor timing for him to be "the plan." So if that is the case the Rams will definitely lock him up here real soon, otherwise they risk overpayment for a guy who might not be good enough.
I’ve gotta respectfully disagree with your take on Boom, Merlin.

There’s precious little to dislike about Boom’s pass pro, even against elite pass rushers. That’s on tape for all to see If one looks objectively.

The knock on Boom is with his run blocking. Not that he’s terrible by any means, but that he’s not nearly as good there as he is with his pass blocking. That’s on tape, too.

I don’t know how LOT is gonna shake out for the Rams next year, but I suspect that Boom is included somewhere in their ‘22 planning.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of the "irritation" comes from the lack of 1st and 2nd round picks that have/had. We have to hit on these mid round picks to have sustained success. It would be one thing if Lewis played and then got hurt during a game, but it's his second year, he's barely played and is already missing a lot of time. It's understandable to be frustrated that his future is not looking good right now.
Right, but he was an injury risk, that is why we could pick him up in the 3rd. Otherwise, we never get a chance at him, because he goes in the first round. It was a gamble. You can make an argument that we shouldn't have made a gamble pick there, but you can't really be upset with T. Lewis about it.
My point was about people being upset that Lewis is taking snaps from someone else, and the reality is he isn't, and hasn't. If you are upset that we took a gamble on a pick in the 3rd, isn't that what 3rd round picks are? I don't know of any guarantees in the 3rd round.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
About the possibility that Allen will be Rams starting OC…

Don’t understand why some discount his ability to significantly improve his play.

Others on this Ram roster have done so without the general disbelief. For example:

Jefferson
Obo
SJD
Darious Williams
Hollins
Fuller
Burgess

Just to name a few…

Btw, maybe Evans just isn’t an OG? Perhaps his best position is RT?
I discount his ability to significantly improve because he was rehabbing a knee injury his 2nd year instead of getting live reps. Blythe was better than Allen and we didn't resign Blythe in hopes of improving that position. Did Allen really get better than Blythe in a year of rehabilitation? He looks stockier and I'm sure he was able to work out other parts of his body, but stronger legs are what he needs and he spent a significant portion of his time trying to get back to how he was instead of improving his base strength. I hope he is significantly better, but I'm not going to assume so until we see it.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
The Chargers/Rams game is on the NFL channel. It may end up with us seeing only three centers.....Kolone/ Shelton & Meredith.

Carberry might be looking at starting RG Corbett being our reserve center. Corbett being our 2nd best center is not a bad situation. Carberry options @ top reserve RG are many & good........Brewer/ Evans/ Anchrum/ Shelton/ Jackson. So we never know.

Carberry could go with his best 9 OL'ers entering the regular season..... Whitworth/ Edwards/ Allen/ Corbett/ Havenstein then Noteboom/ Anchrum/ Brewer/ Evans as reserves then sign OT/OG Jackson/ OC Kolone & OC Meredith on the practice squad thus carrying two centers in that cadre in case there is an injury incident with Allen or Corbett.

This forum surely knows that Austin Corbett is a far better RG than Evans is.
100% This ^^^
I think Carberry is focusing on having the best 5 starting at any given time going forward in case of injury or possibly even to counter different styles of Defense coming at us throughout the season. Right now Whit, Edwards, Corbett and Hav are guaranteed to be starting. So initially it really comes down to is Allen a better Center than Evans is at guard and how well the five play together. Hypothetical situation if Allen got hurt I think most would rather have Whit, Edwards, Corbett, Evans, Hav than Whit, Edwards, Kolone, Corbett, Hav.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Right, but he was an injury risk, that is why we could pick him up in the 3rd. Otherwise, we never get a chance at him, because he goes in the first round. It was a gamble. You can make an argument that we shouldn't have made a gamble pick there, but you can't really be upset with T. Lewis about it.
My point was about people being upset that Lewis is taking snaps from someone else, and the reality is he isn't, and hasn't. If you are upset that we took a gamble on a pick in the 3rd, isn't that what 3rd round picks are? I don't know of any guarantees in the 3rd round.
True. Guys like Kupp and JJ have set the bar high for 3rders so that may be it. However, our fingers are still crossed for guys like Noteboom and Evans but at least they are practicing and don't have rest days.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve gotta respectfully disagree with your take on Boom, Merlin.

There’s precious little to dislike about Boom’s pass pro, even against elite pass rushers. That’s on tape for all to see If one looks objectively.

The knock on Boom is with his run blocking. Not that he’s terrible by any means, but that he’s not nearly as good there as he is with his pass blocking. That’s on tape, too.

I don’t know how LOT is gonna shake out for the Rams next year, but I suspect that Boom is included somewhere in their ‘22 planning.
If you want to objectively look at his tape ask yourself how many of those snaps he's really solo pass protecting in a straight drop. The rate of that is quite low.

So I'll say this 43... I would love nothing more than for Boom to be our LT of the future and kick ass. But I gotta see a lot more from him to think a deep playoff roster is wise to count on him in that role.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I haven’t been able to see full game replays of 2019 but did watch what I could find on YouTube.

In those games I have not seen Allen looking as bad as some others. I also agree with @BonifayRam’s critique of the unit as a whole.

The two guys on either side of Allen in those first few games before he got hurt were not great players, and gave the youngster no help as they were get their azzes handed to them regularly.

Having a new OL Coach getting a look at these guys is a good thing. Seeing them on pads the last couple of weeks is a lot different than shorts and helmets.

I think they should all get some time in preseason to help vet them against others players in pads. But, there aren’t many teams out there with a better DL than the Rams.

So once again, I trust the coaching staff what they see and what their plan is a lot more than fans, even those who get to watch camp in person.

I want the best group possible and wish them all an injury free season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading my posts I know I sound like a Boom hater to some of you. I'm really not. In fact his favorite game of mine is that final game of the season vs the Cards last year. It was a playoff type game. An "if you lose you're eliminated" game. And he did actually drop back quite a bit and pass pro.

But he was facing a Cards rush highlighted by Marcus Golden. I mean again the metric off that blindside edge is Bosa IMO and beating SF is gonna be a big deal. Can Boom do that? I say that Bosa would eat him but I honestly don't know.

Let me just close in saying if the Rams sign him I'll root hard for him. Don't want to come across as a jerk in all this.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I tend to agree philosophically, but that does not seem to be the Ram's MO. Look how they waited on Floyd and now Darious Williams. With Williams they went with the cheaper tender route, but it's going to cost them next year if they want to extend him. IMO they know they won't afford to extend Williams so they drafted Rochell. They didn't do that this year. There is no one else on the roster that looks like Whit's replacement except Noteboom. When he's played he hasn't played badly. Has he been as dominant as Whit was in his prime? No, but he's been on par with the current level of play by Whit which is still above average. The fact Whitworth is talking retirement next year with a year remaining on his contract would seem to indicate he knows full well what the Rams want next year.

I don't see the Rams starting a second-round rookie next year and I don't think they can count on grabbing a good vet out of the FAs. There are only two FA LT's next year under 30 and all will be more expensive than Noteboom.

yesterday your #96 showed good energy.
Here is Big Whitworth work with Havenstien. Also with Boom after practice.

1628628733903.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reading my posts I know I sound like a Boom hater to some of you. I'm really not. In fact his favorite game of mine is that final game of the season vs the Cards last year. It was a playoff type game. An "if you lose you're eliminated" game. And he did actually drop back quite a bit and pass pro.

But he was facing a Cards rush highlighted by Marcus Golden. I mean again the metric off that blindside edge is Bosa IMO and beating SF is gonna be a big deal. Can Boom do that? I say that Bosa would eat him but I honestly don't know.

Let me just close in saying if the Rams sign him I'll root hard for him. Don't want to come across as a jerk in all this.

Boom will replace Whitworth. There is no doubt in my mind.I’d say 90% chance. He is being groomed at LT.
I yelled & cheered for them yesterday. Pretty awesome to see.

1628628973736.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Giving back & helping out.They don’t get that much time to work together.
This was a cool moment for me to watch.

Attachments

• 1628629100105.png
    1628629100105.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 38

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
100% This ^^^
I think Carberry is focusing on having the best 5 starting at any given time going forward in case of injury or possibly even to counter different styles of Defense coming at us throughout the season. Right now Whit, Edwards, Corbett and Hav are guaranteed to be starting. So initially it really comes down to is Allen a better Center than Evans is at guard and how well the five play together. Hypothetical situation if Allen got hurt I think most would rather have Whit, Edwards, Corbett, Evans, Hav than Whit, Edwards, Kolone, Corbett, Hav.

I think Brian Allen & Noteboom won’t be seeing any preseason games(Reps)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This first preseason game will help get a feel of some of these questions at least. McVay doesn't play his starters so I'm assuming Corbett doesn't play at all because he's either a RG or C starter. So will Allen get a lot of snaps at center? If they are starting to lean as him being a starter will they limit him and let Kolone, Shelton, whoever battle it out for the new backup? Or even if they are considering Allen as a starter maybe they give him time to prove it in live game action.

Either way, we'll get to find out how they feel about some of these names at least. Looking forward to seeing Anchrum, Brewer, Jackson, etc get some quality snaps against competition. I'm hoping the Chargers play some of their starters to get good feelers on some of these guys but I'm afraid Staley will learn from McVay and not play any.
Yep - just addressed that .Noteboom either won’t play.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How the OL is shaping up looks to me:

Starters, Whit LT, Edwards LG, Allen C, Corbett RG, Havenstien RT.

Now if those five are kept out of pre-season games, here's who I think start:

Noteboom LT, Brewer LG, Shelton and Kolone C, Evans RG, Anchrum RT.

How many OL will McVay keep on the 53, 8 or 9?

My guess: Starting 5 plus Noteboom for LT, Kolone or Shelton for C, (they won't keep both), Anchrum, Brewer and Evans for last spots. I think Anchrum and Evans are the safest.

Will they keep 10? i doubt it. i think they only keep 8. Pre-season play will determine the outcome.
Where are you at ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Allen's arm length wasn't an issue, his are actually pretty long, especially for his height (32.38), longer than Sullivan and Corey Linsley, for example.
Bulk, strength and experience were his biggest issues, imo.

IMO - I’ll keep saying now that T. Lewis #52 should be placed on the PUP list. Then he has a better chance to make it through the playoffs.
He is still young,but depth is what
what will be the best .

dang

Legend
IMO - I’ll keep saying now that T. Lewis #52 should be placed on the PUP list. Then he has a better chance to make it through the playoffs.
He is still young,but depth is what
what will be the best .
Are you trying to get to 10k posts before you go on vacation?