Cam Akers Injury: Starting RB / Depth Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The more I think about this here's what I'd do... I'd trade Woody for an answer at RB.

Now I know some will go apeshit at this suggestion. But here's the thing... IF they think Jefferson is ready to produce then you have a surplus in possession wideouts. They also have a lot of cash tied up in Woody and Kupp. I love Woody. But this is about ensuring the Rams have the right pieces to survive the playoffs, where pass-happy teams go to die.

So I said above why would Indy move Mack to us for a midround pick. And I still think that. But they'd move him to us for Woody. And any issues between the relative values of the players can be massaged with mid to late round picks.

Let me get this straight, you're willing to trade Woods, take a small cap hit this year, then almost 9 mill of dead cap next year, for a guy who is 3rd back on his team, only played 1 game last year and is going to be a UFA after the season?
My goodness....

Bull Cbs GIF by CBS

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Everyone's always trying to trade Woods away lol, I still believe he's an integral part of our passing offense and Stafford's success, and Stafford being successful is far more important than one RB tbh.
That and it hurts depth at WR. It's highly doubtful that Jackson plays the whole season, and Kupp's durability is in question. That leaves Jefferson and a bunch of rookies/unknowns.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
After the reality check this morning that Cam will not be a Ram in 2021, I finished my coffee at work and accepted it.

He will not be the last injured player (starter or backup) on the 2021 roster that breaks our hearts.

No denial from me that more injures are going to happen.

I'm just hoping the coming injuries are not season enders.

Be-Prepared-Logo-Small-1.jpg

…..

Legend
What about Darrius Guice?

All charges were dropped, I hear.
Wonder if he is in shape. May still have some league discipline coming too.
Boy you’re a GREAT salesman lol starting off your pitch with “All charges were dropped”

:laugh2::laugh3::laugh1::laugh3:

oldnotdead

Legend
The FO has already said they aren't going to rush out and bring in a FA RB. They are being smart and waiting to see how their depth looks during TC. Also, there is no telling at this point how severely Akers is injured. If his long-term prognosis isn't good then IMO they will go with who they have and then draft a RB next year.

They are two deep at RB with Henderson who is every bit as good as Akers, and speedster Funk who also isn't a smurf RB. The forgotten man is Calais. I think they would keep Calais over Jones simply because he has the speed lacking in Jones. If Raymond has polished his technique after a year on the team he can make the case to be #3 RB. He like Anderson is a smaller RB who has speed, agility and good field vision. The problem with Jones is his lack of speed, and there are questions by some scouting services about his field vision. Anderson is a small RB whose run times have been all over the place from 4.3 to 4.6. A friend of mine who does analytics says his game videos put his play speed in the 4.4-4.5 range which is what I think the Rams noted and why he was signed. He's also, quicker than fast with good acceleration, vision, and agility. If he shows that in TC then I see him as the Ram's #4 RB. I see no reason they can't go with those 4 this year. I originally envisioned Calais being released in favor of Anderson but the Aker's injury has changed the dynamics of the position. The speed of Calais and Anderson offer McVay offensive options he doesn't have with Jones who lacks that sideline to sideline speed to threaten the perimeter.

Next year they would get Akers back and they probably would draft a RB. The Rams have a boatload of FAs next year so I don't see them spending cap this year they will need next year. If they keep 4 RBs like I expect them to, then Henderson, Funk, Calais and Anderson would seem to be the most likely candidates. People had questions about Darren Sproles at 5'6" and his 4.49 speed. But his acceleration and vision made him a playmaker. Both Calais and Anderson are bigger players, both have good acceleration with Calais being faster than Sproles.

So I think the Rams are fine with Henderson, Funk, Calais and Anderson as their RBs assuming both Calais and Anderson look good in TC. Being concerned certainly, but it's no reason to panic. If the three young guys show as expected in TC there shouldn't be a problem this year. I think McVay will use Henderson and Funk in rotation more than he would have used Akers and Henderson. That IMO is not a bad thing. Overuse of Gurley led to his early decline and Sean needs to be mindful of that.

…..

Legend
Yeah man, its all good. Smoke em if you got em.

I think we will develop some new favorites this year. We have some interesting chess pieces on the current squad. Excited about a few of our new guys to be honest.

Im not one to typically use pass blocking as an excuse to not use a player. Im old school and I believe you train that guy up. If he acts like a pussy in blocking assignments, then put his ass in the Oklahoma Drill and work it out of him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They probably will add a vet power back. Someone that can help in short yardage and goal line unless they think Jones can be that guy. Should be a few camp cuts that fill the bill.

I saw Jones listed in college at 5-10 208... Not too big, not small, but not big either.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I will be royally pissed if we sign Adrian Peterson. I hope none of you have forgotten that he whipped his then-four-year-old boy all over (his genitals, his back, his legs, his arms, etc.) with a switch for a minor transgression. He still beats his children with a switch, admitting that he didn't learn from - or care about - his own lesson.

He's absolutely a terrible person.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If we could find away to trade a pick (day 3 pick) or a safety (Rapp) to Jags for RB James Robinson. That would be a homerun imho

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
The more I think about this here's what I'd do... I'd trade Woody for an answer at RB.

Now I know some will go apeshit at this suggestion. But here's the thing... IF they think Jefferson is ready to produce then you have a surplus in possession wideouts. They also have a lot of cash tied up in Woody and Kupp. I love Woody. But this is about ensuring the Rams have the right pieces to survive the playoffs, where pass-happy teams go to die.

So I said above why would Indy move Mack to us for a midround pick. And I still think that. But they'd move him to us for Woody. And any issues between the relative values of the players can be massaged with mid to late round picks.
Never understood people’s obsession with moving Bobby Trees the last few years. It’s not going to happen anytime soon unless s legit trend setter at RB is available, which I’d seriously doubt and would more than likely mean we couldn’t afford the dead cap and new salary.

We are definitely going to waiting for a cut or add trade for someone on a stacked RB roster.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we could find away to trade a pick (day 3 pick) or a safety (Rapp) to Jags for RB James Robinson. That would be a homerun imho

I don’t know the Jags depth real well, but when I take him off their roster they look light at RB.

So… Jags would definitely wait late in preseason, if they’d even consider a trade at all.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It’s unlikely we spend ANY draft picks.

Next year’s draft will have nearly 4x the number of eligible players as this one and up to 33% more than in 2019.

Based on needs and positional values. We will see slippage like never before which is why iirc there were zero trades in this past draft involving 2022 draft picks… there will be 3rd round talent potentially all the way into the 7th round.

Even for a super aggressive team like the Rams, even they aren’t willing to forego the opportunities that WILL be there in the 2022 draft

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As for what the Rams are looking at, my bet is that Jake Funk is gonna show out at TC and earn significant carries this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious as to why the name Raymond Calais doesnt get much mention, he's got speed

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, I will be royally pissed if we sign Adrian Peterson. I hope none of you have forgotten that he whipped his then-four-year-old boy all over (his genitals, his back, his legs, his arms, etc.) with a switch for a minor transgression. He still beats his children with a switch, admitting that he didn't learn from - or care about - his own lesson.

He's absolutely a terrible person.
I'm glad such an archaic form of punishment is being phased out of society, but it's not something I can condemn someone for life for