Cam Akers Injury: Starting RB / Depth Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The browns say Hunt isn't available but everyone has there price. That would be my target and I would give up a second rounder to get it done. We can win it all this year but the offense needs to be able to pound the ball for the play action to work. It will be the difference of us getting knocked out early in the playoffs and winning a superbowl a second rounder is definitely worth it to me, especially if we can sign him to an extension because akers may never be back to what he was.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I’m not wasting any draft picks trading for a RB if I’m the Rams. Max maybe a 7th - and that’s for something good/perfect. Plenty of guys will be available when cuts come. We just need a depth guy - maybe one who can get that one tough yard when needed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The browns say Hunt isn't available but everyone has there price. That would be my target and I would give up a second rounder to get it done. We can win it all this year but the offense needs to be able to pound the ball for the play action to work. It will be the difference of us getting knocked out early in the playoffs and winning a superbowl a second rounder is definitely worth it to me, especially if we can sign him to an extension because akers may never be back to what he was.
The Akers situation is exactly why they won’t trade Hunt. Chubb knee injury last year, they are done if they lose him again and Hunt is gone.
Browns have SB aspirations as much as the Rams do and the running game is what they lean on

dang

Legend
I’m not wasting any draft picks trading for a RB if I’m the Rams. Max maybe a 7th - and that’s for something good/perfect. Plenty of guys will be available when cuts come. We just need a depth guy - maybe one who can get that one tough yard when needed.
While i’d love to see a trade for James Robinson or Kareem Hunt for this year I don’t think it’s a smart move. I do see the Rams picking up a cut for depth and may even find a gem like they did with Cj Anderson. Someone like Carlos Hyde along with Henderson and Jones seems like good depth.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The Akers situation is exactly why they won’t trade Hunt. Chubb knee injury last year, they are done if they lose him again and Hunt is gone.
Browns have SB aspirations as much as the Rams do and the running game is what they lean on

They have D'Earnest Johnson as there 3rd back and he got some playing time last year without much drop off. I think they would be OK moving forward with him as there top back up to Chubb.

nighttrain

Legend
is Le'Veon Bell a complete jerk or what? It seems like he might be the answer to Ram's problems, at least an alternate if Henderson gets nicked up, anybody know the answer/
train

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The more I watch X.Jones, the more I like him. Yeah, all the film is against not great defenses, but, he has some crazy good instincts when running and is bigger then I thought. If he can pass block, I can see him getting some work this year for sure. I do still really hope we can add a guy like Freeman (Royce) though. Always liked him for what he does.

oldnotdead

Legend
As I posted in another thread IMO the depth looks like: Henderson, Funk, Calais if they carry three. If they carry 4 then it's between Anderson and Jones with IMO Anderson having the edge because he looks quicker and also is in line with being the PR guy.

With the first 3 McVay doesn't need to change a thing in the offense. With Jones, they will need to run inside more as he lacks the speed to consistently get to the perimeter in the NFL. So the offense will change in that regard. Anderson looks faster in his game film and I think his analytics show that also. He's definitely quicker which makes him in line for PR duty. Jones also in his game film looks indecisive in his runs at times, not a good thing but can be improved with coaching unless it's due to limited field vision.

I simply don't see the need for bringing in another RB. There are reasons those guys are available. With Henderson, Funk and Calais they have very good speed at the position. Henderson has been timed at 4.3, Funk has been timed at 4.3 with Calais at 4.2. You can coach a lot of things but you can't coach speed. With Henderson they are faster at RB. Akers time was 4.47 which is fast but not nearly what these other guys are.

Speed can kill and the Rams can kill with speed at RB.

dang

Legend
I simply don't see the need for bringing in another RB. There are reasons those guys are available. With Henderson, Funk and Calais they have very good speed at the position. Henderson has been timed at 4.3, Funk has been timed at 4.3 with Calais at 4.2. You can coach a lot of things but you can't coach speed. With Henderson they are faster at RB. Akers time was 4.47 which is fast but not nearly what these other guys are.

Speed can kill and the Rams can kill with speed at RB.
Speed doesn’t matter for a RB if they don’t have vision, ability to make the rights cuts or strength to get the tough yards

How much of Akers success at the end of last year was based on his speed vs his vision, timely cuts and power? For those reasons I have Jones as next man up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In a recent Athletic article I found this to be an interesting quote:

The Rams lost former starting center Austin Blythe to a cheaper deal with Kansas City in free agency, and so in the spring turned to former starting right guard Austin Corbett to fill the role — or at least take all of the first-team reps available to media observation, with new quarterback Matthew Stafford. Moving Corbett over may have happened anyway, even if Blythe stayed (and he could have seen the writing on the wall and been more motivated to leave), because head coach Sean McVay began integrating more gap and trap concepts into his rush plan because of Akers’ specific skill set.

“That was right in alignment with some of Cam’s patience, and the skill set that he had,” McVay said.

That, in turn, required a more prototypically base-powerful center to help set up that blocking and moved the Rams away from their previous “mold” at center — a player who is bit lighter and perhaps quicker, to allow for movement in the wider-zone system.

I think this demonstrates what a huge loss Akers' injury was. Because the guy we're gonna be depending on now is a big time zone RB who cut his teeth on not only heavy outside zone but huge holes in college. IMO this direction, or this desired direction more accurately, favors Jones in that RB competition that is likely to go down in camp.

But I also think it ties in with the QB change. Having a vet who is really good with the protections makes it easy to plug in a guy who has some shit to learn in that regard at Center, and gain the value of a bigger and more physical player at the pivot.

Going forward it's going to be really interesting to see how this develops throughout camp. And IMO if/when the Rams do bring in a RB from outside the org there's a good chance it will be a back with proficiency in running behind power/duo and maybe even gap looks.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm in the crowd that believes the Rams will have a different running back group on their final 53 than what they have on their current training camp roster.

I refuse to believe they rest on their laurels with the current group of RB's.

The Rams will carry a minimum of 4 RB's and maybe 5 on their final 53.

I can't vision them keeping 4 of these guys. Even if they were to keep 5 RB's on the 53, it would be very hard to believe McVay keeps 4 of these guys.

1. Darrell Henderson - Solid 3rd year RB - Can he be a 17 game (RB1) by committee and stay healthy?
NFL carries 177

2. Xavier Jones - Great one cut ability and quick open field jukes. Committee (RB2 or RB3) if he takes the next step in his 2nd year
NFL carries 0

3. Calais Raymond - A special teams RB on his second team with virtually no stats
NFL carries 0

4. Jake Funk - Has the look and maybe some big upside. He's one more ACL injury from being out of the league
NFL carries 0

5. Otis Anderson - A multi purpose (special teams) small scat back. A long shot to get any carries as a rookie
NFL carries 0

Way too risky in my
opinion
risk-150x150.png

jjab360

Legend
I'm comfortable with where we're at. I know Akers was supposed to be our guy this year but I feel like we have three young guys who all have special aspects to their game in Jones, Funk, and Calais. Not to mention the guy who is the starter as of right now and we've all seen plenty of in Henderson.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have D'Earnest Johnson as there 3rd back and he got some playing time last year without much drop off. I think they would be OK moving forward with him as there top back up to Chubb.
So Johnson might be available in a trade, there's no way they'd move Hunt

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not even remotely true. Memphis ran very little if any zone blocking schemes
The ran a lot of gap and power plays with pulling guards.

View: https://youtu.be/XiubUq5r-24

Man soon as I read that I had to load up his old college tapes, I was certain Waldman was full of shit. Think I'd learn about going off memory. Oh well. Got my wires crossed there cheers. :clinkingbeer:

As I have said many times though I am definitely rooting for Hendy. I know I've been negative on the dude and I don't mean to be, I'm just really damn tired of RBs getting hurt and contributing to inconsistent offense. Still hoping they bring someone in from outside who has some durability to them.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Man soon as I read that I had to load up his old college tapes, I was certain Waldman was full of shit. Think I'd learn about going off memory. Oh well. Got my wires crossed there cheers. :clinkingbeer:

As I have said many times though I am definitely rooting for Hendy. I know I've been negative on the dude and I don't mean to be, I'm just really damn tired of RBs getting hurt and contributing to inconsistent offense. Still hoping they bring someone in from outside who has some durability to them.
Love you Merlin. You bring a shit ton of good stuff to this site. Without a doubt one of my favorite ROD members.
None of us are perfect. I get shit wrong all the time.

I do get the sense you are not a Hendo fan, And there's nothing wrong with that. There have been players
come through that I never really cared for.
But the Bottom line is Hendo is what we've got right now and I feel we need to get behind him and support him as fans.

I pray Jones can be that rotation guy. I'm not writing off Funk either, But like you said it's
gonna come down to health, Anyway I'm rambling. Cheers Bro :fistbump1:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The Rams will not settle with their current training camp RB group.

No freaking way.

After Hendu, I have no prediction of who their 3 or 4 RB's will be to make the final 53.

I can assure you it will not be compiled of this group when the Rams kick off vs the Bears in the opener.

Repost this if I'm wrong please.

1. Darrell Henderson - Solid 3rd year RB - Can he be a 17 game (RB1) by committee and stay healthy?
NFL carries 177

2. Xavier Jones - Great one cut ability and quick open field jukes. Committee (RB2 or RB3) if he takes the next step in his 2nd year
NFL carries 0

3. Calais Raymond - A special teams RB on his second team with virtually no stats
NFL carries 0

4. Jake Funk - Has the look and maybe some big upside. He's one more ACL injury from being out of the league
NFL carries 0

5. Otis Anderson - A multi purpose (special teams) small scat back. A long shot to get any carries as a rookie
NFL carries 0

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams should send a 7th to the Texans for David Johnson and a 2nd.