Cam Akers Injury: Starting RB / Depth Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm not advocating this because I don't think he has anything left just passing along the article...

The Los Angeles Rams aren’t necessarily in the market for a running back after losing Cam Akers to a torn Achilles, but there’s one player who might be interested in helping them out at the position. LeSean McCoy is still available and would give the Rams some helpful veteran leadership and experience, and he’s already being recruited by a friend in L.A.

McCoy was on the Touchdown Wire NFL podcast with Doug Farrar and he said DeSean Jackson called him twice about potentially playing for the Rams. McCoy didn’t shoot the idea down, saying he thinks it would be a great fit.

“That would be a great opportunity, L.A. I mean, who doesn’t want to be in L.A.? But the team, I think Sean McVay’s a great coach, mastermind. And I think they made some great moves this offseason,” McCoy said. “One of my best friends is DeSean Jackson. He brought it up, he called me yesterday and he called me today about potentially coming out there. He was joking about it, but I’m aware, I’m alert with what’s going on. I think that’s a great team, that would be a great fit. They have a great chance to win a Super Bowl. And the best player in the NFL plays for them – by the way, a Pittsburgh guy.”

McCoy, of course, is talking about Aaron Donald as the best player in the NFL. They both went to Pittsburgh and though they’ve never played together before, Donald certainly makes the Rams a more enticing landing spot for any player.

As for Matthew Stafford, McCoy’s draftmate from 2009, he thinks the former Lions quarterback is underrated.

“I don’t think he gets enough credit because he can play,” McCoy said. “And I don’t want to disrespect any players he’s played with with the Lions, but I don’t think those teams were super great, but he did some great things over there. Super talented, big arm, very intelligent, smart guy. I know Stafford, we came in together in the same draft. … He can play. He really can play.”

Don’t expect the Rams to sign McCoy right now, but if Darrell Henderson Jr. and their other running backs don’t step up in camp, a veteran like McCoy could be brought in.

dang

Legend
Highly unlikely the Rams pick up or trade for anyone until AFTER TC assessments of current RBs are completed AND all roster cuts are complete (to see which RBs are available). If neither of those provide a replacement for Akers I could see a trade for a healthy but experienced RB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm glad such an archaic form of punishment is being phased out of society, but it's not something I can condemn someone for life for

The fact that he still uses the switch on his kids after all of the fallout he underwent makes it easy to condemn him for life; he obviously didn't get the hint that beating his kid is wrong.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
a bit long in the tooth as grandpa would say............
train
I think every RB sitting at home right now, believes they're a great fit for the Rams.

With that said. McCoy would be a great fit if he could still play. Lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As for what the Rams are looking at, my bet is that Jake Funk is gonna show out at TC and earn significant carries this year.
I agree Mack. Up to the point he gets hurt again. It's the same thing with Hendy, you know the guy will get dinged up and miss time.

I think the key here is going to be bringing in someone who can eat carries for this offense and move the chains. We don't need another speed back. We need a dependable back who can give us some success rate and keep the balance opposite Stafford. If not then Stafford will carry this offense and we'll be eliminated in the playoffs.

Great as McVay is I think he's got a lack of respect for the power run game. He favors speed. And that's great, as long as you have that pillow man on your roster for when you need him.

dang

Legend
I think every RB sitting at home right now, believes they're a great fit for the Rams.

With that said. McCoy would be a great fit if he could still play. Lol
on one hand McCoy is a lucky charm being on the last 2 SB winners. on the other he ain’t starving for a super bowl ring. All options Im sure are being evaluated. Other than a trade for someone like James Robinson none so far would be as good as having Akers. Take your time Cam but hoping for a full recovery so you can show your full potential.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
on one hand McCoy is a lucky charm being on the last 2 SB winners. on the other he ain’t starving for a super bowl ring. All options Im sure are being evaluated. Other than a trade for someone like James Robinson none so far would be as good as having Akers. Take your time Cam but hoping for a full recovery so you can show your full potential.
Yeah.
We're not going to find another Akers out there.

I'm all for waiting, to see what we have in Jones and Funk.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Someone on a one year dirt cheap deal or stay with who we have now is what im guessing they will do. Sean McVay is the man and I have full confidence in him to make sure this team has all the pieces it needs for a superbowl run.

I'm not against staying with who we have now and seeing what some of the depth guys can do. Jones and Funk do seem interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing one or both of those guys in preseason.

A power RB who can block well would be nice if they went the FA route.

Ram65

Legend
Rams need someone that can do it all. Bell can block, run and catch the ball. Henderson and Bell would be a great one-two punch. Henderson fan here but, he has gotten some injuries. Bell could carry a big load if need be.

Right now the Rams have a lot of smaller running backs that are unproven. Bell gives them an all-around proven back. If he is willing to be part of the McVay culture he could be a good choice. The Rams need an all-around big back. Gore and Peterson seem a little too old at this point.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
It's pretty obvious at this point the Rams correctly, want to see how the young guys look in TC before they go looking for another "vet" RB. For whatever reason people seem to think Henderson is a subpar RB yet his production equaled that of Akers last year. Funk has rare speed and equal in size to Akers. He's a bit raw to be sure but history has shown that RB is perhaps the easiest position in the NFL to play as a rookie. Playing as Henderson's rotational sub, I have no doubt he will handle that well. Calais is a smaller RB but with good speed (4.42) and has a year to acclimate and study the playbook. Right now the only RB I have any reservations about is Jones. He's probably the slowest and least athletic of all the RBs. I think if they keep 4 RBs that Anderson takes that spot. He might not be faster than Jones but has quickness and acceleration lacking in Jones. Although Anderson timed officially at 4.6 his game analytics shows he plays much faster than that, probably in the 4.5 range or faster. Some have indicated his time is sub 4.4.

The Rams have speed at RB in their young guys. What they lack is game experience and that wasn't a problem last year. Well, they will get their test in the preseason. I think the Rams are wise is waiting until after the preseason to decide if another RB is needed. IMO they will go with guys already on the roster barring another injury. They know what Henderson can do so they will not expose him in TC and a lot of those reps will go to the young guys. My money is on Funk getting that #2 position. If any of the other 3 step up then the Rams are set.

My guess: Henderson, Funk, Calais and perhaps Anderson.

If they want pass protection I can see them using a TE as an H-back but Stafford is likely to see the pressure and get rid of the ball.

dang

Legend
It's pretty obvious at this point the Rams correctly, want to see how the young guys look in TC before they go looking for another "vet" RB. For whatever reason people seem to think Henderson is a subpar RB yet his production equaled that of Akers last year. Funk has rare speed and equal in size to Akers. He's a bit raw to be sure but history has shown that RB is perhaps the easiest position in the NFL to play as a rookie. Playing as Henderson's rotational sub, I have no doubt he will handle that well. Calais is a smaller RB but with good speed (4.42) and has a year to acclimate and study the playbook. Right now the only RB I have any reservations about is Jones. He's probably the slowest and least athletic of all the RBs. I think if they keep 4 RBs that Anderson takes that spot. He might not be faster than Jones but has quickness and acceleration lacking in Jones. Although Anderson timed officially at 4.6 his game analytics shows he plays much faster than that, probably in the 4.5 range or faster. Some have indicated his time is sub 4.4.

The Rams have speed at RB in their young guys. What they lack is game experience and that wasn't a problem last year. Well, they will get their test in the preseason. I think the Rams are wise is waiting until after the preseason to decide if another RB is needed. IMO they will go with guys already on the roster barring another injury. They know what Henderson can do so they will not expose him in TC and a lot of those reps will go to the young guys. My money is on Funk getting that #2 position. If any of the other 3 step up then the Rams are set.

My guess: Henderson, Funk, Calais and perhaps Anderson.

If they want pass protection I can see them using a TE as an H-back but Stafford is likely to see the pressure and get rid of the ball.
respectfully disagree about Jones. All signs point to the #2 RB position being his to lose. He definately had a nose for the end zone in college.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
We'll sign another RB and that's a fact. We just don't know who at this point. A lot will change at the end of TC and Preseason, players will be cut and the Rams will have their scouting dept working overtime on this. Most likely they'll sign a FA that has a couple years under his belt or trade for a player that is a low risk high reward, like Bell. Sucks about Cam but injuries happen have to move forward and shoot your shot.

Can we please step away from the
1626995745759.png

Geez trade this guy trade that guy????????????
Just don't see it as necessary.

I fully believe we will go the @Jacobarch route :

"at the end of TC and Preseason, players will be cut and the Rams will have their scouting dept working overtime on this. Most likely they'll sign a FA that has a couple years under his belt "
*****************************************************************************************
Les and his team are full throttle right now putting together scenarios and possibilities.
If there is a way to bring in a legitimate RB, Les will find it.

oldnotdead

Legend
The speed difference between college and NFL is huge. Just because he scored in college doesn't mean it will translate to the NFL. Speed is important in the NFL and so is vision. Jones lacks speed, and his play brings his vision into question, either he didn't see things or didn't have the quickness to exploit them. He also showed a lack of power in his runs not normally breaking tackles. These are things that translate from the college games to the NFL and are traits that seem to be lacking in Jones.

If after a year on the roster he has improved, then great as long as he has. But he's starting from behind the curve in respect to the other guys so IMO he needs to really stand out.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Would seriously love to see AD do some running back in preseason.

With his burst, quickness, agility, and moves we know he'd past the dline.

Then he'd use his overwhelming size power and hands, for stiff arms, to bowl over linebackers.

The safeties and corners would just move out the way.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would seriously love to see AD do some running back in preseason.

With his burst, quickness, agility, and moves we know he'd past the dline.

Then he'd use his overwhelming size power and hands, for stiff arms, to bowl over linebackers.

The safeties and corners would just move out the way.
It sure would suck losing AD because some safety or corner tackled him low and took his knee or ankle out.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The fact that he still uses the switch on his kids after all of the fallout he underwent makes it easy to condemn him for life; he obviously didn't get the hint that beating his kid is wrong.
On one interview he said when he saw the switch was wrapping around the kid's leg and hitting him in the balls, he laughed about it. That's the kind of shit that is borderline unforgivable.