Cam Akers Injury: Starting RB / Depth Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Let me get this straight, you're willing to trade Woods, take a small cap hit this year, then almost 9 mill of dead cap next year, for a guy who is 3rd back on his team, only played 1 game last year and is going to be a UFA after the season?
My goodness....
pitchforks and torches ready if this were to happen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Let me get this straight, you're willing to trade Woods, take a small cap hit this year, then almost 9 mill of dead cap next year, for a guy who is 3rd back on his team, only played 1 game last year and is going to be a UFA after the season?
My goodness....

Why would it be just a 'small cap hit this year'?

After Woods restructured, I would think moving him (or Kupp) would be prohibitive in 2021.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would it be just a 'small cap hit this year'?

After Woods restructured, I would think moving him (or Kupp) would be prohibitive in 2021.
His dead cap hit in 2021 would be 3.4 mill, and 8.6 mill in 2022, his salary for 2021 is 2.5 mill which would be on his new team, thus a net hit of approx 1 mill

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We'll sign another RB and that's a fact. We just don't know who at this point. A lot will change at the end of TC and Preseason, players will be cut and the Rams will have their scouting dept working overtime on this. Most likely they'll sign a FA that has a couple years under his belt or trade for a player that is a low risk high reward, like Bell. Sucks about Cam but injuries happen have to move forward and shoot your shot.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
pitchforks and torches ready if this were to happen.
I'd hate if they traded Woods, but due to the depth on the team I could see how he would be a marketable chip in the right scenario.
But surely not for a 3rd string RB who's coming off missing the previous season for the same injury which has left the Rams short of RB

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We are still in a win now window. Whoever is in the backfield needs to be able to pass block - that is generally why you don't want to just take a chance on some young kid with high upside back there - you want a professional. Its not to say a rookie can't be the guy - but they need to be able to diagnose a blitz and throw their body in there. That guy may be on the squad already but I think I would be looking at guys who want to chase a ring. I can't believe a guy like AP still has the goods, but I may want to find out. Lev Bell - same thing. We need one season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the smartest move would be a trade for an experienced but very very healthy vet. Just saw an article on possible trade with Detroit for Jamaal Williams for a 3rd round draft pick. It may not be him but someone like him makes perfect sense. Thoughts on other trade candidates?
A third is way too much. To me, a guy like Marlon Mack or Phillip Lindsay is worth a fifth. And I consider both to be quite a bit better than Williams.
The more I think about this here's what I'd do... I'd trade Woody for an answer at RB.

Now I know some will go apeshit at this suggestion. But here's the thing... IF they think Jefferson is ready to produce then you have a surplus in possession wideouts. They also have a lot of cash tied up in Woody and Kupp. I love Woody. But this is about ensuring the Rams have the right pieces to survive the playoffs, where pass-happy teams go to die.

So I said above why would Indy move Mack to us for a midround pick. And I still think that. But they'd move him to us for Woody. And any issues between the relative values of the players can be massaged with mid to late round picks.
Woods is worth more than Mack. If I were dealing him, it would be for somebody like Kareem Hunt or James Robinson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My goodness....
Yes. If all goes to plan Jefferson could potentially upgrade us there too. Either way I am more concerned right now with the run game.

A third is way too much. To me, a guy like Marlon Mack or Phillip Lindsay is worth a fifth. And I consider both to be quite a bit better than Williams.

Woods is worth more than Mack. If I were dealing him, it would be for somebody like Kareem Hunt or James Robinson.
Woods is a possession wideout going on 30. Mack is mid 20s and offers us a nice mix of power and shrewd run skills. Agree to disagree on this, and IMO Woods will be replaced here soon anyway, probably this next offseason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. If all goes to plan Jefferson could potentially upgrade us there too. Either way I am more concerned right now with the run game.

Woods is a possession wideout going on 30. Mack is mid 20s and offers us a nice mix of power and shrewd run skills. Agree to disagree on this, and IMO Woods will be replaced here soon anyway, probably this next offseason.
Mack is a HB coming off an Achilles tear who garnered little interest on the FA market and signed a one year deal to rehab his value. Bobby is one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL in addition to being a very good Z and S.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Woody is going to be phased out. Moving him now would be shrewd IMO. And I don't think you could get guys like Kareem Hunt for him.

Put Mack in this offense and you'd see some really good things. Not sure about his health though, that's a fair point, have not been tracking that or anything I just think he's a fantastic fit for this scheme.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how you could be concerned about the Rams run game and then suggest trading the guy who had the 3rd highest rushing yards (among returning players), had same amount of reg season rushing TD's as Akers and as @jrry32 said, is the best run blocker of all the Rams WRs. As for age he's only 1 year older than Kupp, easily has 2-3 more prime years left.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Woods for Robinson would be an excellent trade for both teams

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how you could be concerned about the Rams run game and then suggest trading the guy who had the 3rd highest rushing yards (among returning players), had same amount of reg season rushing TD's as Akers and as @jrry32 said, is the best run blocker of all the Rams WRs. As for age he's only 1 year older than Kupp, easily has 2-3 more prime years left.
So you're saying you disagree. Ok. :laugh1::thumbsup1:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you're saying you disagree. Ok. :laugh1::thumbsup1:
I agree... To disagree...
giphy.gif

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What about Darrius Guice?

All charges were dropped, I hear.
Wonder if he is in shape. May still have some league discipline coming too.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If we trade Woods we better get Kareem Hunt. Anything less than that would be us getting robbed. With that said, Browns ain't trading that guy......aw fuck

jjab360

Legend
Everyone's always trying to trade Woods away lol, I still believe he's an integral part of our passing offense and Stafford's success, and Stafford being successful is far more important than one RB tbh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Darrius Guice?

All charges were dropped, I hear.
Wonder if he is in shape. May still have some league discipline coming too.
All sorts of horrible accusations going back to LSU, including rape. That's not an issue we want to take on.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

any chance the rams can move this dirk diggler character to rb?

i've heard he can go long and hard.