Cam Akers Injury: Starting RB / Depth Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Frank Gore?

Free agent
Needs a ring
Would be a great mentor to RB room
Can block
Can still grind out yards when needed as we learned the hard way last year
Great team player
McVay can find a way to get the most out of him for 1 more year
Who here doesn't appreciate him despite his time in SF?

Any thoughts or interest here?

dang

Legend
He is a tough mf and he did kick the Rams defense ass in the 4th quarter last year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Good TC battle.
Gore vs Reeder 2: The Revenge!
1626815933148.png

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Free agent
Needs a ring
Can block
Great team player

JMO but I think I would rather get Adrian Peterson.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy is a beast, just feels way past any level of production IMO

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Cam Akers injury: Free agent running backs Rams should consider as they seek Darrell Henderson backup​

The Rams are going to need some insurance for Henderson​

By Jeff Kerr

2 hrs ago3 min read

Losing Cam Akers is a significant blow to the Los Angeles Rams running game. Set to be the No. 1 running back in an offense that was was going to utilize his talents in the passing game, Akers was set up for a breakout season and a key contributor for the Rams Super Bowl title hopes.
"I think he can come alive in the pass game," Rams head coach Sean McVay said back in March. "I think he can continue to play at a high level. Really, I think he's an every-down back. I think he's a special player."
The Rams had high hopes for McVay heading into year two, but Los Angeles must figure out how to utilize its running game with him lost for the season. Darrell Henderson should get the first opportunity as the No. 1 running back, but there isn't much insurance behind him. Xavier Jones and Raymond Calais have never taken a carry in an NFL regular season game, while Otis Anderson is an undrafted free agent rookie.
Clearly the Rams could use a veteran running back to help out Henderson and emerge as the No. 2 option. Here are a few free agents the Rams should consider signing in the coming weeks:

1. Adrian Peterson

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/517568/adrian-peterson
Adrian Peterson
DET • RB • 28
ATT156
YDS604
TD7
FL0
View Profile
The 36-year old Peterson has been patiently waiting for the right opportunity to come along in free agency. At this stage in his career, Peterson wants an opportunity to contribute to a Super Bowl championship roster. The Rams check off all those boxes, especially since there isn't a power back on their roster since they allowed Malcolm Brown to depart in free agency.
Peterson has 14,820 career rushing yards, just 450 yards short of passing Barry Sanders for fourth on the all-time list. His 118 rushing touchdowns are fourth on the all-time list, just six away from passing Marcus Allen for third (123). He has the most 50-yard touchdown runs (16) and 60-yard touchdown runs (15) in NFL history. He's tied with Chris Johnson for the most 70-yard touchdown runs in NFL history (seven). Peterson rushed for 604 yards on 156 carries and seven touchdowns in 16 games for the Detroit Lions at age 35 last year.
There's still some gas left in the tank for Peterson, who would be an ideal fit to spell Henderson as the No. 2 option. Peterson isn't a pass-catching back that fits what McVay wants out of his running backs, but plans change with little depth on the roster after the Akers injury.

2. Frank Gore

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/411568/frank-gore
Frank Gore
NYJ • RB • 21
ATT187
YDS653
TD2
FL1
View Profile
Gore is in the same situation as Peterson -- although he's two years older than him. The 38-year-old Gore wants an opportunity to compete for a championship and earn carries on a contending team, leaving the Rams as the best option available. No running back has ever recorded a carry at the age of 38, so the Rams would be taking a big risk here -- even though Gore recorded 187 carries for the New York Jets last year.
Gore wouldn't have been expected to carry the load much in 2021, but would play a significant role with the Rams. If Henderson suffers an injury, he would emerge as the top option. Again, Los Angeles would take a huge gamble if the Rams wanted to bring Gore back to California.

3. Duke Johnson

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1998316/duke-johnson
Duke Johnson
HOU • RB • 25
ATT77
YDS235
TD1
FL2
View Profile
If Los Angeles wanted to go with a veteran back that fit what McVay wants in his offense, Johnson is the ideal No. 2 option. The 27-year-old Johnson had a career-low 28 catches for 249 yards with the Houston Texans last season, the first season he failed to have 60-plus targets and 40-plus receptions. Playing a career-low 36% of the snaps didn't help matters either, as Johnson was behind David Johnson in the running back rotation.

Johnson still remains without a team, but is the best free agent running back available. He'll get an opportunity to significantly contribute with the Rams, particularly in the passing game. His 307 receptions since 2015 are the fourth-most in the league amongst running backs.

4. Chris Thompson

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273546/chris-thompson
Chris Thompson
JAC • RB • 34
ATT7
YDS20
TD0
FL0
View Profile
There's plenty of familiarity with Sean McVay here, as Thompson played under McVay for three seasons when he was the offensive coordinator for the Washington Football Team. Thompson finished with 84 catches for 589 yards in his final two seasons under McVay as a backup option for Robert Kelley and Alfred Morris.
McVay could reunite the 30-year-old Thompson in his offense as a No. 2 option, even if Thompson was an afterthought with the Jacksonville Jaguars last year. Thompson is still an excellent pass-catching back that could provide another option in the passing game.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Not sure about any of this. Guess we will know soon enough.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Bell is only 29 years old.

Gurley is damaged goods.

Gore is 38 and Peterson is 36.

What the hell are we talking about here?

Bell! Right?

Not a good day to stop sniffing glue.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gore? Hell no. Leave that 49er stink by the dumpster
Peterson? Cmon... Unless he gets 20 carries, he's worthless
Bell? Here's the problem with Bell, Rams run a ZBS which is perfect for a 1 cut and go type RB. That aint Bell. He painfully takes his time reading the line, looking for the hole, has uncanny patience. That worked fine with Pittsburgh who had a killer O-line when he had his monster year. Not a good short yardage guy either
I'd like to see Xavier, Calais and Funk get a shot. They dont need a "veteran" RB

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Bell? Here's the problem with Bell, Rams run a ZBS which is perfect for a 1 cut and go type RB. That aint Bell. He painfully takes his time reading the line, looking for the hole, has uncanny patience. That worked fine with Pittsburgh who had a killer O-line when he had his monster year. Not a good short yardage guy either
I'd like to see Xavier, Calais and Funk get a shot. They dont need a "veteran" RB
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!

You are OUT of the Will...........

You have a good point about the line, patience and Bell.

Out of the vets I like Bell the best. Maybe we got a good line this year. Crystal ball shit I know.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Better off waiting to see who gets cut in pre season IMO. We need a pass protecting back though without a doubt.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Cam Akers injury: Free agent running backs Rams should consider as they seek Darrell Henderson backup​

The Rams are going to need some insurance for Henderson​

By Jeff Kerr

2 hrs ago3 min read

Losing Cam Akers is a significant blow to the Los Angeles Rams running game. Set to be the No. 1 running back in an offense that was was going to utilize his talents in the passing game, Akers was set up for a breakout season and a key contributor for the Rams Super Bowl title hopes.
"I think he can come alive in the pass game," Rams head coach Sean McVay said back in March. "I think he can continue to play at a high level. Really, I think he's an every-down back. I think he's a special player."
The Rams had high hopes for McVay heading into year two, but Los Angeles must figure out how to utilize its running game with him lost for the season. Darrell Henderson should get the first opportunity as the No. 1 running back, but there isn't much insurance behind him. Xavier Jones and Raymond Calais have never taken a carry in an NFL regular season game, while Otis Anderson is an undrafted free agent rookie.
Clearly the Rams could use a veteran running back to help out Henderson and emerge as the No. 2 option. Here are a few free agents the Rams should consider signing in the coming weeks:

1. Adrian Peterson

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/517568/adrian-peterson
Adrian Peterson
DET • RB • 28
ATT156
YDS604
TD7
FL0
View Profile
The 36-year old Peterson has been patiently waiting for the right opportunity to come along in free agency. At this stage in his career, Peterson wants an opportunity to contribute to a Super Bowl championship roster. The Rams check off all those boxes, especially since there isn't a power back on their roster since they allowed Malcolm Brown to depart in free agency.
Peterson has 14,820 career rushing yards, just 450 yards short of passing Barry Sanders for fourth on the all-time list. His 118 rushing touchdowns are fourth on the all-time list, just six away from passing Marcus Allen for third (123). He has the most 50-yard touchdown runs (16) and 60-yard touchdown runs (15) in NFL history. He's tied with Chris Johnson for the most 70-yard touchdown runs in NFL history (seven). Peterson rushed for 604 yards on 156 carries and seven touchdowns in 16 games for the Detroit Lions at age 35 last year.
There's still some gas left in the tank for Peterson, who would be an ideal fit to spell Henderson as the No. 2 option. Peterson isn't a pass-catching back that fits what McVay wants out of his running backs, but plans change with little depth on the roster after the Akers injury.

2. Frank Gore

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/411568/frank-gore
Frank Gore
NYJ • RB • 21
ATT187
YDS653
TD2
FL1
View Profile
Gore is in the same situation as Peterson -- although he's two years older than him. The 38-year-old Gore wants an opportunity to compete for a championship and earn carries on a contending team, leaving the Rams as the best option available. No running back has ever recorded a carry at the age of 38, so the Rams would be taking a big risk here -- even though Gore recorded 187 carries for the New York Jets last year.
Gore wouldn't have been expected to carry the load much in 2021, but would play a significant role with the Rams. If Henderson suffers an injury, he would emerge as the top option. Again, Los Angeles would take a huge gamble if the Rams wanted to bring Gore back to California.

3. Duke Johnson

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1998316/duke-johnson
Duke Johnson
HOU • RB • 25
ATT77
YDS235
TD1
FL2
View Profile
If Los Angeles wanted to go with a veteran back that fit what McVay wants in his offense, Johnson is the ideal No. 2 option. The 27-year-old Johnson had a career-low 28 catches for 249 yards with the Houston Texans last season, the first season he failed to have 60-plus targets and 40-plus receptions. Playing a career-low 36% of the snaps didn't help matters either, as Johnson was behind David Johnson in the running back rotation.

Johnson still remains without a team, but is the best free agent running back available. He'll get an opportunity to significantly contribute with the Rams, particularly in the passing game. His 307 receptions since 2015 are the fourth-most in the league amongst running backs.

4. Chris Thompson

headshot-image

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1273546/chris-thompson
Chris Thompson
JAC • RB • 34
ATT7
YDS20
TD0
FL0
View Profile
There's plenty of familiarity with Sean McVay here, as Thompson played under McVay for three seasons when he was the offensive coordinator for the Washington Football Team. Thompson finished with 84 catches for 589 yards in his final two seasons under McVay as a backup option for Robert Kelley and Alfred Morris.
McVay could reunite the 30-year-old Thompson in his offense as a No. 2 option, even if Thompson was an afterthought with the Jacksonville Jaguars last year. Thompson is still an excellent pass-catching back that could provide another option in the passing game.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Not sure about any of this. Guess we will know soon enough.
Sorry but I can’t get on board with any in that foursome

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funk is that 1 cut and go back. Would like to see that 4.38 speed in action for the Rams

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We need either Gore or AP just to get through the season. Bell is done so hard pass their. I think we wait to after a couple of scheduled scrimmages vs. other teams to see if any of our current young back depth guy can give us 10 touches weekly. I just feel Gore or AP can handle 10-12 hard touches to balance the runs out. Just my 2cents

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Free agent
Needs a ring
Can block
Great team player

I would rather see Duke Johnson.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Why do we have to sign a “name”? I’m seeing guys mentioned whose best days are behind them or malcontents who sabotage their stay if they’re not happy—especially if they don’t think the team is going anywhere (bell).

It’s a long season and the Rams will have to play about 20 games to win the title. Why not find some healthy, young, underused legs in the form of a 1-3 year guy who’s been backing up? Give someone a shot at making their mark and bring in somebody hungry and willing to run through fire .

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Before the Rams rush out and bring in a aged vet they need to get into camp and see what they have in their current stable of the young guys. The Rams for the most part know what they have in Henderson and that is why they drafted Akers. Henderson has some juice but I cannot envision him as an every down back. Calais and Anderson are both small speed backs so they are not suited for any kind of heavy workload but one of them could make the team as a returner and situational back if the Rams go with the committee approach. Funk and Jones are both intriguing unproven comodities and should at least get chance in camp to show/prove what they can do. Of course with a roster spot now open due to Akers injury the Rams will most likley bring in another back. Will it be a vet or will they bring in another younger unproven back. I say go with aonther young back for now and then if by the end of camp these youngsters have created doubt then they can bring in a vet like AP or Duke Johnson.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Rams need 2 backs to step up or be brought in around Henderson. DH and Akers both ran for over 600 yards last year and Brown ran for over 400. Brown left and Akers got hurt. No one on that depth chart has proven anything at the pro level. I like Jones to be the guy who steps up. They need a vet back tho. McVay can bs all he wants about no vets being brought in but a decent back or two will be cut in the preseason. No reason for now to sign any of those bums listed above. Our running backs need to be able to pass protect too.