Cam Akers Injury: Starting RB / Depth Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s tough to rely on a rookie, especially one with serious injuries in the past.

Old guys that are proven like Gore and Adrian Peterson give some leadership are reliable, can block and do not need to be featured. So if Henderson can carry the main load a proven vet is a good option.

How many rookies can pass block? How many two or three year backs can pass block well?

They should look for a back that has experience in the offense. Look at guys that played in Shanahan’s offense. So former Redskins or Falcons.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I have the solution... and he's already on the team.

Don't you guys remember last year when AD said that he wanted to play some FB/RB?

Short yardage BOOM.

And am only kinda joking here.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I don't know where Carlos Hyde stands at on the Jaguars depth chart but he had almost 1100 yards with the Texans 2 years ago. If he were to get cut or could be traded for a low round draft pick I think we should bring him in and see what he has left.

sloramfan

Starter
ok guys...

R-E-L-A-X........

ok, so that statement is as much for myself, as it is for the rest of us "hair on fire" fans...

we got some time, no need to panic..

TC and the preseason should answer the questions we have, and last day cuts, rendering a great pick-up, could be the final touch to reclaiming our SB run mojo...

the cam akers loss is a fuc&!ng nightmare, to be sure, but the season will go on, and we gotta rallye around the remaining team...

this team is still a very strong contender, and i for one, think we got someone in the wings that will float to the top, and surprise...

go rams

slo

dang

Legend
I think the smartest move would be a trade for an experienced but very very healthy vet. Just saw an article on possible trade with Detroit for Jamaal Williams for a 3rd round draft pick. It may not be him but someone like him makes perfect sense. Thoughts on other trade candidates?

sloramfan

Starter
meh...

i would rather let TC and preseason play out a little before making any kind of trade...

you never know who might emerge..

I'll tell you what i'll be watching for... which running back is suddenly no longer involved in preseason play... it's a mcvay tell..

starters don't do preseason...;)

go rams

slo

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Akers and Hendo benefitted from Brown.
Brown played well last season then Akers emerged.

Can we rely on Hendo for 17+ games?
Hopefully, yes. However, he needs to share the workload due to past injury history.
Therefore, we may need our other backs to step up if Hendo picks up an injury(possible, let's be honest).
They might not cut it, or we might unearth a diamond.

Overall, much like Akers and Hendo had a seasoned pro in Brown, we could be better off with a battle-hardened veteran.
One that can sit down and absorb the playbook, suit up, and go.
We all have memories of CJ here.

I do think we bring someone in for a one year deal.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think the smartest move would be a trade for an experienced but very very healthy vet. Just saw an article on possible trade with Detroit for Jamaal Williams for a 3rd round draft pick. It may not be him but someone like him makes perfect sense. Thoughts on other trade candidates?
This seemed a little goofy to me when I read your post.

Detroit JUST signed Williams in 2021 Free Agency. How often does a team sign a free agent only to trade him before even a pre-season game? I can't think of a single example.

When I read your post, I immediately thought of Brent Stuter of Ramblinfan who posts 2-3 Rams' articles per-day ... most totally useless. So I took a quick look. Surprise! It's a Brent Stuter article! Shocking!

Now, to be fair, anything is possible. Williams contract with the Lions was not for big-$; and there is the Rams/Snead / Lions/Holmes connection. Plus, i think Williams is a good back. Still, I can not think on a trade that would be comparable; and I think Brent Stuter throws anything and everything against the wall in hope that something sticks and readers will ignore or forget the 99% of his stuff that never plays-out.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m reasonably calm about this as of today. The 24 hours sure helped.

I think that Rams can take their sweet time weighing all their options. Absolutely no reason to rush this process at all. None.

They can afford to observe their existing RB roster in camp and especially in scrimmage. Hell, they may love what they see. But if not, then there will be plenty of time and options to bolster their RB roster if they feel they need to.

AP intrigues me as a potential 1 year rental but I have no clue as to his salary demands. But honestly, I suspect that Rams will sign some RB whose name I might not even recognize but whose analytics have impressed them.

Rams proved to me that they can find producers on the fly when they signed that OJ Anderson guy in ‘18 and he kept us in the SB hunt.

I do NOT see Rams investing a premium future pick in trade for a RB. Maybe a 5th or later IF they really like him as a future starter.

Speaking of which, Rams should plan for the future as if Akers is a goner. History on RB recoveries from torn Achilles is not at all encouraging. I’m talking early draft pick next year or pricey trade for a stud that they think is a young and healthy good scheme and locker room fit.

Lastly, I understand the reluctance of some to make a RB offseason move. I do. But let me remind those that this is a SB run year and who knows how long this window will remain open? After getting this very expensive QB and this very good looking draft, do we really want to skimp on our RB situation? That would be very penny wise-pound foolish, if you ask me.

Psycho_X

Legend
It all comes down to Henderson's health. If he's healthy in training camp all the way to week 1 he is the starter. As long as Jones and Funk stay healthy and show growth I don't think we sign anyone. Also have Otis and Calais in the mix. The Rams always have youth waiting in wings that they will do their due diligence on before panicking. So hopefully the injury gods have taken their sacrifice and we can go through this season without anymore awful injuries.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

A good read for a bunch of RB options. Not mentioned in this article, but Marlon Mack (yeah I know, he tore his Achilles last year too) for a 5th rd pick was mentioned in another article. Definitely options out there, but none will really replace how special I think Akers would have been. Hopefully his youth helps him recover like no other.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The main thing to worry about is having someone that can pass block. If the OL is good an average RB can pick up yards.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think Jones will emerge as the best back for us at some point. The Rams might be high enough on him that they're not as worried about Akers' loss as the rest of us too.

But if they're thinking Hendy is the answer we're fucked. He's a really good back but I don't believe in him being able to carry this offense. Every single time he's been given that type of window he's come up short, either dinged up or misses time or straight doesn't make this offense go like it should. For me he's a change of pace only. And that includes Calais and the UDFA they scooped as well. McVay has collected speedy types who can catch the ball but he's missing that chain mover without Akers IMO.

Marlon Mack would be fantastic. But why would Indy do that. Their RB depth is among the best in the league but moving Mack for a median pick just brings them down to the pack.

The concern for me is that McVay doesn't realize the value of the power options for his offense. He loves burst and big play ability but ironically it was CJ that gave his offense the shot in the arm it needed in 2018 to get to the dance. There is room for that type of addition IMO. It has a magnifying effect on his offense to have a power run game teams are concerned with, even when that power game doesn't come with big play ability.

So looking at that list above I think quite a few of them help us out just from the perspective of ensuring we're not putting all our money into getting the ace on the river with one of these unproven types. Even though they might really like them. Let's hedge our bets and make that room as well rounded as possible for the season plz.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more I think about this here's what I'd do... I'd trade Woody for an answer at RB.

Now I know some will go apeshit at this suggestion. But here's the thing... IF they think Jefferson is ready to produce then you have a surplus in possession wideouts. They also have a lot of cash tied up in Woody and Kupp. I love Woody. But this is about ensuring the Rams have the right pieces to survive the playoffs, where pass-happy teams go to die.

So I said above why would Indy move Mack to us for a midround pick. And I still think that. But they'd move him to us for Woody. And any issues between the relative values of the players can be massaged with mid to late round picks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more I think about this here's what I'd do... I'd trade Woody for an answer at RB.

Now I know some will go apeshit at this suggestion. But here's the thing... IF they think Jefferson is ready to produce then you have a surplus in possession wideouts. They also have a lot of cash tied up in Woody and Kupp. I love Woody. But this is about ensuring the Rams have the right pieces to survive the playoffs, where pass-happy teams go to die.

So I said above why would Indy move Mack to us for a midround pick. And I still think that. But they'd move him to us for Woody. And any issues between the relative values of the players can be massaged with mid to late round picks.
Let me get this straight, you're willing to trade Woods, take a small cap hit this year, then almost 9 mill of dead cap next year, for a guy who is 3rd back on his team, only played 1 game last year and is going to be a UFA after the season?
My goodness....

dang

Legend
This seemed a little goofy to me when I read your post.

Detroit JUST signed Williams in 2021 Free Agency. How often does a team sign a free agent only to trade him before even a pre-season game? I can't think of a single example.

When I read your post, I immediately thought of Brent Stuter of Ramblinfan who posts 2-3 Rams' articles per-day ... most totally useless. So I took a quick look. Surprise! It's a Brent Stuter article! Shocking!

Now, to be fair, anything is possible. Williams contract with the Lions was not for big-$; and there is the Rams/Snead / Lions/Holmes connection. Plus, i think Williams is a good back. Still, I can not think on a trade that would be comparable; and I think Brent Stuter throws anything and everything against the wall in hope that something sticks and readers will ignore or forget the 99% of his stuff that never plays-out.
As I stated Williams was an “example” of a trade being circulated. My point is I think that option makes the most sense to me vs waiting for cuts or picking up a vet with little tread left on the tire.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As I stated Williams was an “example” of a trade being circulated. My point is I think that option makes the most sense to me vs waiting for cuts or picking up a vet with little tread left on the tire.
I get that. My comment was not a shot at you.

It was a shot at weak journalists like Brent Stuter; and publications that generate so much content, that most of it is useless.