Qb competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This slow release and footwork stuff is played out the guy can throw that ball he it sure worked out for Brandon Cooks and it turned Spruce into a wr that eveyonebwanna see play. People hear something being said and just regurgitate it like it's gospel. People do get better and he has on both fronts in limited practice and playing time so that tells me he puts a lot of work in by himself to get better
Wait what? Youre talking about Cooks playing in college and Spruce playing against 4th string guys that are out of the league.
This is silly stuff here. It was fun watching the comeback in that game and Spruce gave us Danny amendola flashbacks, but man, that was the 4th Q of the 1st pre-season game.
Talk about regurgitating something as if its gospel....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know plenty of teams that saw him differently which is why none of them drafted him....
Plenty of teams didn't draft Brady or russel Wilson see what I did there. Draft positiOn means nothing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plenty of teams didn't draft Brady or russel Wilson see what I did there. Draft positiOn means nothing.
You want to see the list of QB that were drafted in the 3rd round and on over the last 10 years who didn't do squat?
Sure Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before getting an NFL gig, but I wouldn't suggest scouting at the local Shop Rite either...
Draft position means a lot 25 of 32 starting QB drafted in rounds 1 or 2

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mannion is cheaper for the next 2 years no way they keep Keenum
I don't want to keep anyone just because they are cheaper! I want to keep who ever is best for the Team! Whoever that may be! It could be " None of the above!"

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait what? Youre talking about Cooks playing in college and Spruce playing against 4th string guys that are out of the league.
This is silly stuff here. It was fun watching the comeback in that game and Spruce gave us Danny amendola flashbacks, but man, that was the 4th Q of the 1st pre-season
I don't want to keep anyone just because they are cheaper! I want to keep who ever is best for the Team! Whoever that may be! It could be " None of the above!"
That's the point of this post competition

bluecoconuts

Legend
Did I miss something, because the last I heard was McVay saying that Goff was the starter and there really wasn't a competition.

Goff is also a much better fit for this offense. I wouldn't be shocked if Mannion doesn't even make it out of camp to be honest. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, but he's not as good as Goff and he's not nearly as good of a fit at Goff.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
I believe Mannion is the better QB. The majority of everyone else does not. None of us are going to convince each other of what they believe. In my opinion, by mid-season Mannion will be the starting QB, and not due to an injury to Goff. And if I am wrong, I have no problem eating crow, because that would mean we are likely winning, and we can all agree that is what we ALL want!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did I miss something, because the last I heard was McVay saying that Goff was the starter and there really wasn't a competition.

Goff is also a much better fit for this offense. I wouldn't be shocked if Mannion doesn't even make it out of camp to be honest. That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, but he's not as good as Goff and he's not nearly as good of a fit at Goff.
Do you even know what offense we are going to be running next year and Goff didn't look like a good fit for this offense either.

Scirca

Rookie
I believe Mannion is the better QB. The majority of everyone else does not. None of us are going to convince each other of what they believe. In my opinion, by mid-season Mannion will be the starting QB, and not due to an injury to Goff. And if I am wrong, I have no problem eating crow, because that would mean we are likely winning, and we can all agree that is what we ALL want!

EDITED

Last edited by a moderator:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes you missed the interview that @Scirca posted when the interviewer brought up Mannion he stated that he was impressed with Mannion coming out of college and McVay stated that Snead came to him about Mannion about their excitement for Mannion too and that's when McVay was saying that the best players will be on the field

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fine with competition, but if Mannion is competition for Goff then Fisher really screwed the pooch
And what if we go 10-6 with Mannion is that still such a bad scenario. Because right now no one knows how the season will play out we got 7 games of Goff that's all only a couple snaps for Mannion that's all. Neither one of them should feel good about anything

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe you're drinking or smoking way too much when watching the games. Also those glasses go a long way towards explaining your QB preference.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
giphy.gif

bluecoconuts

Legend
Do you even know what offense we are going to be running next year and Goff didn't look like a good fit for this offense either.

Yes, McVay runs a West Coast offense, it's a slightly more vertical one if I recall correctly, but it's a West Coast offense. Goff ran a lot of concepts and plays in college that was taken from the West Coast offense and adapted for an Air Raid offense. Concepts like Levels and such. His ability to be shifty in the pocket and deliver a strike makes him perfect for this type of offense.

This is the same type of offense that Atlanta runs with Matt Ryan, which makes sense given that Shanahan came from Washington and ran it there as well. Funny enough, everyone has said that Jared Goff's NFL comparison is, you guessed it, Matt Ryan.

Sean Mannion's issues with his throwing motion, footwork, and how he holds the ball makes it more of a challenge for this offense. He also struggles with accuracy on deep throws, especially if he needs to roll out an extend a play for something to open up down field. This is where Goff's superior pocket presence and general shiftiness in the pocket puts him at an advantage over Mannion who tends to stand still and isn't as slippery or comfortable in the pocket. Sean Mannion could fix this and become more comfortable in the offense, but naturally Goff is a better fit.

Goff didn't look as comfortable in the Rams offense because it wasn't the best for him, but McVay has an offense that is much better for Goff in terms of fit. Mannion was a better fit for the Fisher/Boras offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And what if we go 10-6 with Mannion is that still such a bad scenario. Because right now no one knows how the season will play out we got 7 games of Goff that's all only a couple snaps for Mannion that's all. Neither one of them should feel good about anything
I don't care if Jonny Hekker was the QB and the team goes 10-6, I'd be happy as heck. But it doesn't mean I'll play him there...
The Rams spent all their draft equity to move up and grab Goff because Mannion clearly doesn't have the ability to be a starter. They re-signed Keenum instead of considering him for the starter.
Why? Because he is slow as molasses, has a terribly long release and a particularly weak arm. Basically he's a less mobile Shaun Hill. Sure he led a fun comeback against a defense comprised of insurance agents and accountants, but that's all. Watch enough pre-season and you see guys like this all the time. Heck, Brock Berlin looked like a stud in his junk time, Joe Germaine looked like Joe Montana. Keith Null anyone?
I get it, we're Rams fans. And if any fans know that a back up QB can come out of nowhere its us. We had Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger rise from nowhere to should be Hall of Fame for #13 and pro bowls for #10. But at least these guys had skill sets that were evident when on display. I cant honestly see anything good with Mannion.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, McVay runs a West Coast offense, it's a slightly more vertical one if I recall correctly, but it's a West Coast offense. Goff ran a lot of concepts and plays in college that was taken from the West Coast offense and adapted for an Air Raid offense. Concepts like Levels and such. His ability to be shifty in the pocket and deliver a strike makes him perfect for this type of offense.

This is the same type of offense that Atlanta runs with Matt Ryan, which makes sense given that Shanahan came from Washington and ran it there as well. Funny enough, everyone has said that Jared Goff's NFL comparison is, you guessed it, Matt Ryan.

Sean Mannion's issues with his throwing motion, footwork, and how he holds the ball makes it more of a challenge for this offense. He also struggles with accuracy on deep throws, especially if he needs to roll out an extend a play for something to open up down field. This is where Goff's superior pocket presence and general shiftiness in the pocket puts him at an advantage over Mannion who tends to stand still and isn't as slippery or comfortable in the pocket. Sean Mannion could fix this and become more comfortable in the offense, but naturally Goff is a better fit.

Goff didn't look as comfortable in the Rams offense because it wasn't the best for him, but McVay has an offense that is much better for Goff in terms of fit. Mannion was a better fit for the Fisher/Boras offense.
Mannion has a much better deep ball than Goff. And Mannion ran a much similar version of the west coast offense under Mike Riley than Goff. Yes Goff is better outside the pocket but not inside the pocket that's not pocket presence while that's definitely one of Goff strengths he isn't athletic enough to depend on that like AR does and Matt Ryan stands tall in the pocket Goff doesn't have that same look about him. Not to me anyway.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care if Jonny Hekker was the QB and the team goes 10-6, I'd be happy as heck. But it doesn't mean I'll play him there...
The Rams spent all their draft equity to move up and grab Goff because Mannion clearly doesn't have the ability to be a starter. They re-signed Keenum instead of considering him for the starter.
Why? Because he is slow as molasses, has a terribly long release and a particularly weak arm. Basically he's a less mobile Shaun Hill. Sure he led a fun comeback against a defense comprised of insurance agents and accountants, but that's all. Watch enough pre-season and you see guys like this all the time. Heck, Brock Berlin looked like a stud in his junk time, Joe Germaine looked like Joe Montana. Keith Null anyone?
I get it, we're Rams fans. And if any fans know that a back up QB can come out of nowhere its us. We had Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger rise from nowhere to should be Hall of Fame for #13 and pro bowls for #10. But at least these guys had skill sets that were evident when on display. I cant honestly see anything good with Mannion.
Then how can you see anything Good from Goff when he has had more opportunity then Mannion. I don't get the love for a guy that's 0-7 with way more turnovers then touchdowns that holds the ball too long takes a lot of unnecessary sacks and just looked completely overwhelmed. I guess cause he is a number 1 pick he must be the greatest ever and no other QB can come close. That 6ypa is looking pretty unstoppable