Qb competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For one being comfortable under center. Making protection calls being able to read a defense. His accuracy is top notch so is his ball placement he can make every throw and he is a natural passer. He has a great playaction being able to hide the ball on the fake to his running backs his awareness inside the pocket is excellent his ability to hold onto the ball when sacked. He was a three year team captain only one in the schools history so that tells you about his leadership abilities. He started all 4 yrs and got better each year. He keeps his eyes down field when moving and avoiding the rush. Has great touch he knows when to zip the ball in it a nice floater. The Game just doesn't seem to big to him.

I think McVay is definitely going to look at both Goff and Mannion college tape because neither have did anything in the pros and if they look at Goff tape in the pros it's not good. Now he isn't going to base a decision off of those tapes but it will give him a very good idea of what they both can do and what they both need to work on. With Mannion slated as the number 2 this is going to be the first time he has gotten any extended practice reps

You are saying that Mannion is better than Goff in all those areas?
Can you elaborate? What are you looking at that says he is better at those things?

Also, if McVay does start Goff over Mannion, would you believe that Goff IS actually better than Mannion?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Scirca what was that link you posted to McVay interview in DC. Well in College Mannion is the all time leader in yards in the PAC 12 you know same league as Andrew Luck and Goff more touchdown passes then Andrew Luck all while doing it in a pro style offense you know two tight ends taking snaps from center while doing all of this with one of the worst offensive lines in college and wr core. Sounds familiar right. He only had one receiver in college and that was Cooks. And if Goff came out when Mannion did they would have more than likely been picked in the same round
I get that you like him but if you don't see an issue with his release, you're not paying attention.
Has a long wind up and not a very strong arm.
The pro set argument is moot as the legion of spread QB's that have been successful have long since squashed the idea that spread QB cant succeed
And he had 2 WR Cooks and Wheaton and without them he stunk.
And college stats are meaningless as to correlation to pro, see Case Keenum

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
One thing that Mannion had that Goff didn't have was a comfort level with the pro offense. He showed a firm grasp on where the receivers would be at what time, and this allowed him to put the ball there confidently. Additionally, he understands the protections and the nuances of a pro-scheme. That's what I saw whenever he was on the field.

I think in every other category, Goff has looked better. His throws are quicker, his quick feet are worlds ahead of the bricks Mannion lugs around (not trying to be mean, but watching Mannion try to move is a true study in inertia), his mobility in and out of the pocket is good if not excellent, his arm is better, and he has proven that he can get blitzed, hit, knocked around, and keep his eyes downfield, maneuver in the pocket and make the necessary throw. Mannion hasn't had the opportunity to prove that he can take the hits and keep focusing on the play, but its a rare enough trait, and Goff has it.

I like Mannion well enough, he seems like a good guy and a hard worker. But insisting that he is as talented as Goff feels delusional, at least to me, and from what I've seen of both guys. And that's all we can say, right? I believe that when Goff achieves a comfort level with a professional offense, with diagnosing the defense (was excited about our QB coach for this reason), and develops a natural feel for where his receivers will be, what they'll do, and where to put the ball, his talents will become a lot more obvious. It's learning for him. For Mannion, he would have to change his physical attributes and alter his DNA to develop the same gifts that Goff has. I know that sounds unfair, but all men are not created equal. Not when it comes to quarterbacking, certainly.

Short version: Mannion was experienced in a pro-offense. Goff was less so. Goff is gifted for the position. Mannion is less so. If there is a QB competition, I can't imagine Goff won't win.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are saying that Mannion is better than Goff in all those areas?
Can you elaborate? What are you looking at that says he is better at those things?

Also, if McVay does start Goff over Mannion, would you believe that Goff IS actually better than Mannion?

Yes I would. I have always stated that I like Goff I just don't think he should have been our pick. I have always stated that I felt like Goff and Mannion are similar QB in terms of accuracy arm strength with Mannion being a little better in Both. Goff has better escapability but that was in College he didn't really flash that in his first year.

Of course Mannion is better under center then Goff he played Majority of his college snaps under center. As stated above I think Manning arm strength and accuRacy are just a little better. I say that because Mannion knows when to zip and when to use touch I think that's one of the reason why he throw a catchable ball especially since he throws tight spirals consistently and that's something Goff doesn't do. None of the evaluators said anything negative about Mannion arm or his ability to pick up in NFL play books they always talked about his release and footwork which are too things that can be fixed which shows because all of those things he has improved on. To me the biggest difference is Mannion doing all the things pro qbs have to do he has been doing it for years already and from that standpoint Goff is lacking.

You can go back on every post I write about Goff and Mannion I have never wanted Goff to fail I don't bash Goff after he has a terrible game because I understand the position he was put in. This year is completely different though now because him and Mannion are both on the same page now and who learns and have a better understanding of the playbook has the better chance of starting

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that Mannion had that Goff didn't have was a comfort level with the pro offense. He showed a firm grasp on where the receivers would be at what time, and this allowed him to put the ball there confidently. Additionally, he understands the protections and the nuances of a pro-scheme. That's what I saw whenever he was on the field.

I think in every other category, Goff has looked better. His throws are quicker, his quick feet are worlds ahead of the bricks Mannion lugs around (not trying to be mean, but watching Mannion try to move is a true study in inertia), his mobility in and out of the pocket is good if not excellent, his arm is better, and he has proven that he can get blitzed, hit, knocked around, and keep his eyes downfield, maneuver in the pocket and make the necessary throw. Mannion hasn't had the opportunity to prove that he can take the hits and keep focusing on the play, but its a rare enough trait, and Goff has it.

I like Mannion well enough, he seems like a good guy and a hard worker. But insisting that he is as talented as Goff feels delusional, at least to me, and from what I've seen of both guys. And that's all we can say, right? I believe that when Goff achieves a comfort level with a professional offense, with diagnosing the defense (was excited about our QB coach for this reason), and develops a natural feel for where his receivers will be, what they'll do, and where to put the ball, his talents will become a lot more obvious. It's learning for him. For Mannion, he would have to change his physical attributes and alter his DNA to develop the same gifts that Goff has. I know that sounds unfair, but all men are not created equal. Not when it comes to quarterbacking, certainly.

Short version: Mannion was experienced in a pro-offense. Goff was less so. Goff is gifted for the position. Mannion is less so. If there is a QB competition, I can't imagine Goff won't win.

Watch Mannions highlights and tell me what you see. His arm strength is on Par with Goff Sonia his accuracy and he moved better inside the pocket then Goff. Goff made a lot of plays outside the pocket. His footwork look better than Goff this year maybe that's because Goff wasn't comfortable and Mannions drop back looked much better then Goff. Mannion to be is more fluid in his motions then Goff and once again maybe that's because Goff wasn't comfortable but me watching Goff all throughout college and in his limited snaps in the pros I don't see a big drop off in pure talent from Goff to Mannion but what I do see is one guy is much more ready and able to handle being a NFL QB then the other

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McVay will probably add someone that knows his system...So, I'd guess Mannion is one of the first cuts.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that you like him but if you don't see an issue with his release, you're not paying attention.
Has a long wind up and not a very strong arm.
The pro set argument is moot as the legion of spread QB's that have been successful have long since squashed the idea that spread QB cant succeed
And he had 2 WR Cooks and Wheaton and without them he stunk.
And college stats are meaningless as to correlation to pro, see Case Keenum
I never said spread qbs can't succeed but at the same time pretty much all colleges are running a spread offense so there are more spread qbs naturally. It's crazy that WRs get credit but what about the QB that throws them the ball just like with Spruce he gets the love but Mannion don't. lol that's 3 WRs Mannion had made look good but he is the one over looked. Mannion played his entire career with a down trodden offensive line he didn't trot out in 5wr sets he played under center reading defenses and if you don't think that's a big deal tell that to all the OCs and head coaches who would tell you differently

Bruce2980

Starter
He didn't beat out Tony Romo. If the Cowboys were to hold a QB competition, Romo would murk that kid. Stop spreading that 7-9 B.S.
Didn't Roma have a broken bone in his back, that caused him to be unable to compete? So I guess I could have beat him out, cause my back is fine.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think we are blessed to have two potentially good to great young QBs. It would be awesome for Goff to live up to expectations and Mannion exceed expectations. (Expectations are lower for Mannion, due to draft position and that he was a backup for 2 years.)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If McVay holds true to his word then there will be one. Because I believe Mannion to be the better QB
I disagree that Mannion is better than Goff, But I would like to see more of him in TC to enhance his 'Trade Value'! We have a good Veteran Back-up in Keenum!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said spread qbs can't succeed but at the same time pretty much all colleges are running a spread offense so there are more spread qbs naturally. It's crazy that WRs get credit but what about the QB that throws them the ball just like with Spruce he gets the love but Mannion don't. lol that's 3 WRs Mannion had made look good but he is the one over looked. Mannion played his entire career with a down trodden offensive line he didn't trot out in 5wr sets he played under center reading defenses and if you don't think that's a big deal tell that to all the OCs and head coaches who would tell you differently
I know plenty of teams that saw him differently which is why none of them drafted him....

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
If Mannion is the better QB, we are screwed. Absolutely screwed.

People begged to see Mannion. He got in the game and immediately threw a pick six. Mannion isn't a starting caliber QB. He's a younger Nick Foles.

McVay won't hold true to his word. It's the nature of the beast.

Nor does he need to hold true to his word. Goff is easily the better player.

Ya, not sure where all the Manion love comes from.
I mean, I think he can be an ok back up. But you are right, if he starts get ready for a DISASTER of a season. His footwork and release are as slow as molasses at the North Pole.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree that Mannion is better than Goff, But I would like to see more of him in TC to enhance his 'Trade Value'! We have a good Veteran Back-up in Keenum!
Mannion is cheaper for the next 2 years no way they keep Keenum

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay will probably add someone that knows his system...So, I'd guess Mannion is one of the first cuts.
Rex Grossman and John Beck would probably be available, but don't think that will fly. Lol
I think Mannion is fortunate here that Colt McCoy is under contract

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ya, not sure where all the Manion love comes from.
I mean, I think he can be an ok back up. But you are right, if he starts get ready for a DISASTER of a season. His footwork and release are as slow as molasses at the North Pole.
This slow release and footwork stuff is played out the guy can throw that ball he it sure worked out for Brandon Cooks and it turned Spruce into a wr that eveyonebwanna see play. People hear something being said and just regurgitate it like it's gospel. People do get better and he has on both fronts in limited practice and playing time so that tells me he puts a lot of work in by himself to get better