Qb competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you're right on both fronts. Although, I think you're selling Kirk a little short.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hope you're right on both fronts. Although, I think you're selling Kirk a little short.

Maybe. Or maybe just more bullish on Mannion under McVay's tutelage than most.

Tomayto... tomahto

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If any Rams QB is fighting for a job, it's far more likely to be Mannion. #2's are rarely afforded guarantees going forward, and the Rams with two young QB's already, ... we shouldn't be all that surprised to see a vet (other than Keenum) come in to compete along with whoever is brought in as a camp arm. Mannion is probably OK so long as we carry 3 QB's, but that second/third slot won't be a freebee. jmo.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your mannion love is almost borderline insane. Does he have video on you or something? You've been against goff since he was drafted. Are you a rep of mannion?
Im not against Goff i have never said i hope Goff fails or i dont think he can become good just because im not crazy about the guy doesnt make me insane and doesnt mean im against him I just feel like we didnt need him when I feel like Mannion is better

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay. Totally agree with you, by the way. With only two guys signed, at least we're going to see Mannion get solid 2nd team reps and he's going to actually know what McVay's voice sounds like.

I swear that there were times that I'm not sure Fisher knew Mannion was on the team. Totally serious.

I think McVay's focus will be the edumacation of young Jared AND the reclamation of Sean Mannion, BOTH of which should yield substantial and tangible benefits for this franchise in the immediate term.

I have no real doubt that Goff will be our starter going forward. And it seems like we're saying the same thing. Goff should be better. If Mannion's better, the more likely scenario is that it's because Goff's worse, not that Mannion's seen the light and become a new QB under McVay and of course, that would be cause for serious concern. Of course, there is a possibility that Mannion sees the light under McVay.

I mean, Mannion's about to get his first taste of real pro development as is Goff.

And while people focus on Goff's potential, I see more people focusing on Mannion's pitfalls. It's not comparing apples to apples. Again, I'm not advocating for Mannion. What I'm saying is that I don't know how well Mannion will take to actual pro development which he's had virtually NONE of since being in the pros and I've chronicled since his draft ad nauseam. It's entirely possible that Mannion takes to actual pro development like a duck to water (sorry for the Oregon reference for an OSU alum...).

Does that change anything if he does? Does he close the gap? Overtake Goff? Just become a better backup?

I have no clue. I have...tenuous projections, but nothing to connect. I suspect that he will do VERY well under McVay (if Kirk Cousins can succeed, I have tons of faith in Mannion, let me put it like that...)

Rather than anyone complain about Goff v Mannion, which I think is silly, I think we all need to remember this is the NFL and we're going to have 2 much improved QBs this year. Considering some teams have none, I think we're going to be happy for the first time in awhile.

I feel like its a win win either way. And if Goff can't handle competition then that's a problem. Coming out of College there was 2 knocks on Mannion Footwork and his release. I have seen great improvement in those areas this past year. McVay actually scouted Mannion in college so he is very familiar with him and he could look at him as his Kirk Cousin. Either way the only reason why I said competition is because it normally brings the best out and thats what we should all want. The best to start

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're not disagreeing. I'm not putting starting Goff over the team succeeding. If Mannion is the better QB, so be it. What I'm saying is that I have strong doubts about Mannion's validity as a starting QB, which means that if Goff is the worse QB, I'm likely going to be very concerned.(unless Mannion shows something I haven't seen in his game to this point)

I'm also pointing out that the reality of the situation is that there won't be a real QB competition. McVay isn't going to force Goff to beat out Mannion by giving Mannion a bulk of the starter reps. At least, I'll be shocked if he does that. That's simply the nature of the NFL. The #1 overall pick will play until he proves that he can't.

Thats not McVay number 1 pick though so thats mute. Goff is your starter he cant play every preseason game. So what happens when Mannion out plays Goff AGAIN in the pre-season. McVay owes nothing to Goff. His job is to win and if he feels like thats Goff or Mannion im sure he will go with the best

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats not McVay number 1 pick though so thats mute. Goff is your starter he cant play every preseason game. So what happens when Mannion out plays Goff AGAIN in the pre-season. McVay owes nothing to Goff. His job is to win and if he feels like thats Goff or Mannion im sure he will go with the best

No, it's not moot. You better bet the Rams don't consider it moot. You better bet the Rams prioritized hiring a coach who can develop Goff. There was a reason that McVay met with Goff during the interview process.

The Rams are putting Goff front and center. They're treating him like he's the face of the franchise. Until he proves he's not the guy, they're going to continue to push him. That's simply the nature of the beast.

No real point in going further with this discussion. It will just end up going in circles.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it's not moot. You better bet the Rams don't consider it moot. You better bet the Rams prioritized hiring a coach who can develop Goff. There was a reason that McVay met with Goff during the interview process.

No real point in going further with this discussion. It will just end up going in circles.

That's true they want Goff to be the starter I don't think anyone doubts that. This is all just conjecture until the season starts. Hell I hope Goff does beat out Mannion but I will not be surprised when it doesn't happen

Scirca

Rookie

Mannion isn't going to outplay him. Stop it. Sean McVay owes nothing to Mannion. I know you're hoping this becomes an RG3-Kirk Cousin's situation, but it's not going to happen, because unlike RG3, who is a bust--can't read coverage and go through progressions-- Jared Goff can actually read coverages and go through progressions.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion isn't going to outplay him. Stop it. Sean McVay owes nothing to Mannion. I know you're hoping this becomes an RG3-Kirk Cousin's situation, but it's not going to happen, because unlike RG3, who is a bust--can't read coverage and go through progressions-- Jared Goff can actually read coverages and go through progressions.

He owes nothing to Goff either. So tell me if you owe nothing to either player why not see what they both can do. And obviously Goff couldn't read coverages either

Scirca

Rookie
He owes nothing to Goff either. So tell me if you owe nothing to either player why not see what they both can do. And obviously Goff couldn't read coverages either

Then why in the world would the Rams pick him up with the first overall pick? Traded away all of that for someone who obviously couldn't read coverages. His problem is that the other 10 players are not playing to average NFL standards.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then why in the world would the Rams pick him up with the first overall pick? Traded away all of that for someone who obviously couldn't read coverages. His problem is that the other 10 players are not playing to average NFL standards.

Lol so Goff have no blame.. I made my view on why they traded up for Goff pretty clear, I feel like they did it to make a splash as simple as that. They didn't really need him. I don't have any proof other then intuition but that's how I feel about it

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am a big Mannion fan and watched him play his entire career at OSU. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him be our starter BY BEATING OUT GOFF in a straight up competition, I still think Goff has the better skill set to be successful in the NFL.

That said, I don't think Mannion is as bad as some... ahem... Jrry....:D

I think he will be a very good back up and possibly even a pretty good starter. I just think Goff has the tools to be special.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
I am still pretty confident the only reason they drafted Goff was because they wanted a face of the franchise with the move to LA. "The trade" with the Titans looks as bad now (if not worse) than it did when it happened.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am still pretty confident the only reason they drafted Goff was because they wanted a face of the franchise with the move to LA. "The trade" with the Titans looks as bad now (if not worse) than it did when it happened.

And the other teams who had Goff rated as the #1 QB in the draft? Were they trying to make a splash in the LA market too? ;)

We better watch out. Cleveland might soon be joining us in LA, as soon as they can get Sam Darnold from USC.

That is silly reasoning. The Rams needed a QB. Goff was the #1 QB in the draft. Makes perfect sense why they would take Goff.

It's okay. I foresee a helping of crow in your future, but I hear Stu has a few options for you to choose from...grilled, fried, or broiled! :neener:

Bruce2980

Starter
If McVay holds true to his word then there will be one. Because I believe Mannion to be the better QB
But if McVay doesn't hold your belief that Mannion is better then what is the point? And if Mannion is better than Goff, then Fisher had better flee for his life cause he just ruined the LA Rams for the next 10 years, cause Mannion is nothing more than a 3rd string QB in street clothes up to this point. So that would make Goff a 4th string QB which equates to unemployable in the NFL. If McVay actually took this job thinking that Mannion is the man, then he should be fired right now. Besides I called McVay last night and he told me that Nobody in the NFL believes that Mannion is better than Goff. Oh wait, hold the phone, Billicheat just offered McVay 2- 1st round picks, 2- 2nd round picks and wait, 3- 3rd round picks for Mannion, maybe he is even better than Brady?

Last edited: