Qb competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Im not against Goff i have never said i hope Goff fails or i dont think he can become good just because im not crazy about the guy doesnt make me insane and doesnt mean im against him I just feel like we didnt need him when I feel like Mannion is better
I apologize about the insane comment. Had a few to many when replying. Was out of line. Still disagree and think Goff is better ofc but to each there own. If mannion takes us to the SB you wouldn't see me complaining. Don't see him ever being the Rams starter though.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mcvay talked to goff during the interview process. He keeps telling everyone he can't wait to work with Goff. Not sure how Mannion fits into that picture. It's not like his play screams you gotta start this guy.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But if McVay doesn't hold your belief that Mannion is better then what is the point? And if Mannion is better than Goff, then Fisher had better flee for his life cause he just ruined the LA Rams for the next 10 years, cause Mannion is nothing more than a 3rd string QB in street clothes up to this point. So that would make Goff a 4th string QB which equates to unemployable in the NFL. If McVay actually took this job thinking that Mannion is the man, then he should be fired right now. Besides I called McVay last night and he told me that Nobody in the NFL believes that Mannion is better than Goff. Oh wait, hold the phone, Billicheat just offered McVay 2- 1st round picks, 2- 2nd round picks and wait, 3- 3rd round picks for Mannion, maybe he is even better than Brady?

lol I never said McVay thinks Mannion better all I said was from McVays own comments from his own mouth that if what he said was true then there will be a QB battle it might not be known publicly but if he sticks to his own words then there should be

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What have Goff done?? That's the one narrative I just don't get. If we going off college Mannion College tape is just as impressive as Goff, if we going by the pros how can you claim to see anything from Mannion with the very limited time we got to see him. But turn around and say we need to wait for Goff to get some real weapons a offensive line a real coach. I can't stand double standards. Cause right now us fans and the team are the only ones that's not concerned about Goff and we don't really know what the team thinks. Thy come out and say all the right things but can we really trust that

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I apologize about the insane comment. Had a few to many when replying. Was out of line. Still disagree and think Goff is better ofc but to each there own. If mannion takes us to the SB you wouldn't see me complaining. Don't see him ever being the Rams starter though.
I appreciate that.. honestly I want the QB competition to spark Goff give him that extra motivation so he can study harder prepare better. I don't hold out any real hope that Mannion will become the starter but I don't think Mannion is a far behind Goff as some thinks and in some categories he is above Goff

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mcvay talked to goff during the interview process. He keeps telling everyone he can't wait to work with Goff. Not sure how Mannion fits into that picture. It's not like his play screams you gotta start this guy.

He also said he was a fan of Mannion and is very familiar with his game. Look they say all the rthey guy things depending on what question is asked. I'm just go wait till the pads come on because preseason is going to tell it all

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What have Goff done?? That's the one narrative I just don't get. If we going off college Mannion College tape is just as impressive as Goff, if we going by the pros how can you claim to see anything from Mannion with the very limited time we got to see him. But turn around and say we need to wait for Goff to get some real weapons a offensive line a real coach. I can't stand double standards. Cause right now us fans and the team are the only ones that's not concerned about Goff and we don't really know what the team thinks. Thy come out and say all the right things but can we really trust that

Do you honestly think Mannion and Goff were on the same level in terms of college tape? Come on now. Even you're reaching now. There's a reason why Mannion was considered a reach in the 3rd. Granted, some said Goff was a reach in the first. But comparing the college tape, Mannion can't hold Jareds jock. Now in terms of pro tape, you'd have an argument. One that can't really be compared fairly, because Mannion didn't get any real live season reps. Had he gotten a game or two, this conversation would have some merit. And I don't remember hearing or seeing anything along the lines of a QB competition come from McVay. So if you could post a link, that would be great. I'd like to read it. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fascinated by the love for Mannion. I mean I get it, everyone always loves the back up QB, but I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me believe he can be a starter.
He's on the last year of his rookie deal so I imagine there will be some competition. For the #2 job that is... I would expect they draft a kid a la New England, in hopes that he can move in to the back up role in 2018 when Mannion contract expires. Fortunately for Sean, McVay doesn't have a kid out there familiar with his system that could come in right away and compete.
I see Mannon as a terrible fit in the WCO as his release is a long wind up, kind of a weaker armed Byron Leftwhich. He looked terrible in his short stint as the corners were cheating on his out routes right away.
One other thing that bears mention IMO is that Kirk Cousins showed incredible ability BEFORE McVay got a hold of him.In fact he saved the day in RGIII rookie year when he stepped in for an injured RGIII and led them to an PT win over Baltimore, then had a monster game against Cleveland which propelled them to 8-6 and on their way to the playoffs.
So McVay gets kudos but lets not make Kirk Cousins out to be some schlep that he molded all on his own...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you honestly think Mannion and Goff were on the same level in terms of college tape? Come on now. Even you're reaching now. There's a reason why Mannion was considered a reach in the 3rd. Granted, some said Goff was a reach in the first. But comparing the college tape, Mannion can't hold Jareds jock. Now in terms of pro tape, you'd have an argument. One that can't really be compared fairly, because Mannion didn't get any real live season reps. Had he gotten a game or two, this conversation would have some merit. And I don't remember hearing or seeing anything along the lines of a QB competition come from McVay. So if you could post a link, that would be great. I'd like to read it. (y)
@Scirca what was that link you posted to McVay interview in DC. Well in College Mannion is the all time leader in yards in the PAC 12 you know same league as Andrew Luck and Goff more touchdown passes then Andrew Luck all while doing it in a pro style offense you know two tight ends taking snaps from center while doing all of this with one of the worst offensive lines in college and wr core. Sounds familiar right. He only had one receiver in college and that was Cooks. And if Goff came out when Mannion did they would have more than likely been picked in the same round

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
@Scirca what was that link you posted to McVay interview in DC. Well in College Mannion is the all time leader in yards in the PAC 12 you know same league as Andrew Luck and Goff more touchdown passes then Andrew Luck all while doing it in a pro style offense you know two tight ends taking snaps from center while doing all of this with one of the worst offensive lines in college and wr core. Sounds familiar right. He only had one receiver in college and that was Cooks. And if Goff came out when Mannion did they would have more than likely been picked in the same round

Mannion put up so many yards because his team was shit. And he arguably had better weapons then Goff did. Don't see how that makes them same tier. Mannion 83 TDs 54 Int 64.6%. Goff 96 TDs 30 Int 62.3%. And Goff played less games. Goff had just as bad an o line and lesser receivers. Still destroyed Mannion in TDs and Int.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fascinated by the love for Mannion. I mean I get it, everyone always loves the back up QB, but I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me believe he can be a starter.
He's on the last year of his rookie deal so I imagine there will be some competition. For the #2 job that is... I would expect they draft a kid a la New England, in hopes that he can move in to the back up role in 2018 when Mannion contract expires. Fortunately for Sean, McVay doesn't have a kid out there familiar with his system that could come in right away and compete.
I see Mannon as a terrible fit in the WCO as his release is a long wind up, kind of a weaker armed Byron Leftwhich. He looked terrible in his short stint as the corners were cheating on his out routes right away.
One other thing that bears mention IMO is that Kirk Cousins showed incredible ability BEFORE McVay got a hold of him.In fact he saved the day in RGIII rookie year when he stepped in for an injured RGIII and led them to an PT win over Baltimore, then had a monster game against Cleveland which propelled them to 8-6 and on their way to the playoffs.
So McVay gets kudos but lets not make Kirk Cousins out to be some schlep that he molded all on his own...

You call 6 passes terrible when he only got to practice for the first time 2weeks prior. Lol his release isn't as slow as that and he delivers the ball with a purpose. Can make every throw has great poise instincts and pocket presence he might not be able to move like Goff but he knows how to move around the pocket better and able to sense pressure better too.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion put up so many yards because his team was crap. And he arguably had better weapons then Goff did. Don't see how that makes them same tier. Mannion 83 TDs 54 Int 64.6%. Goff 96 TDs 30 Int 62.3%. And Goff played less games. Goff had just as bad an o line and lesser receivers. Still destroyed Mannion in TDs and Int.
Naw Goff had the better team. He put up a lot of touchdowns because of the system. Goff was in a no huddle high flying passing offense Mannion was in a pro style offense on first and second down he was under center with two tight ends running playaction. That's the difference you put Mannion in Goff system and those numbers are completely different.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Fascinating thread.

Great to read all the viewpoints.

My thoughts?

Goff is the clear favorite to be starter. No question about it.

However...

This will be the first year that either youngster at QB will be getting quality coaching, so who knows what might develop?
Bottom line is still about which QB produces results, draft status is now totally moot.
Goff is 0-7 as a starter, so he's got a lot to prove to everyone at this point.
If the OL doesn't get fixed first, neither QB is gonna shine.
Cousins eventually proved to be the superior QB over RG3.
Dak Prescott, a 4th rounder, beat out Romo just this past season.

So, I have 2 points to make.

Quality coaching should do worlds of good in developing BOTH QB's.

Nothing is written in stone as to our starter. Goff is the heavy favorite, but I'm gonna keep an eye on Mannion, too. He just might surprise and become an excellent backup. Maybe even more.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Dxmissile
Forget what the fans are saying about Goff and Mannion. Just forget all that for a second.

Do you believe that the coaching staff is fit to evaluate the QBs? Because my guess the coaching staff doesn't decide who starts by just looking at college tape and going "i think this guy looks the same or better than the other guy." My guess is they actually look at the details (accuracy, ball placement, ball release, footwork, mechanics, judgment) on tape and in real life.

If not, what quality of Mannion in terms of QB skills, do you think is better than Goff's? There's no point in arguing by saying "Mannion is better than Goff, you guys don't know it yet because he hasn't started."

FRO

Legend
Mannion isn't going to outplay him. Stop it. Sean McVay owes nothing to Mannion. I know you're hoping this becomes an RG3-Kirk Cousin's situation, but it's not going to happen, because unlike RG3, who is a bust--can't read coverage and go through progressions-- Jared Goff can actually read coverages and go through progressions.
RGIII has been more successful in the NFL than Goff. Goff isn't untouchable. That being said there won't be a QB controversy and Goff will definitely be the guy in 2017.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only QB competition will be for Jareds backup if there is any competition at all.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Dxmissile
Forget what the fans are saying about Goff and Mannion. Just forget all that for a second.

Do you believe that the coaching staff is fit to evaluate the QBs? Because my guess the coaching staff doesn't decide who starts by just looking at college tape and going "i think this guy looks the same or better than the other guy." My guess is they actually look at the details (accuracy, ball placement, ball release, footwork, mechanics, judgment) on tape and in real life.

If not, what quality of Mannion in terms of QB skills, do you think is better than Goff's? There's no point in arguing by saying "Mannion is better than Goff, you guys don't know it yet because he hasn't started."

For one being comfortable under center. Making protection calls being able to read a defense. His accuracy is top notch so is his ball placement he can make every throw and he is a natural passer. He has a great playaction being able to hide the ball on the fake to his running backs his awareness inside the pocket is excellent his ability to hold onto the ball when sacked. He was a three year team captain only one in the schools history so that tells you about his leadership abilities. He started all 4 yrs and got better each year. He keeps his eyes down field when moving and avoiding the rush. Has great touch he knows when to zip the ball in it a nice floater. The Game just doesn't seem to big to him.

I think McVay is definitely going to look at both Goff and Mannion college tape because neither have did anything in the pros and if they look at Goff tape in the pros it's not good. Now he isn't going to base a decision off of those tapes but it will give him a very good idea of what they both can do and what they both need to work on. With Mannion slated as the number 2 this is going to be the first time he has gotten any extended practice reps

fearsomefour

Legend
Your mannion love is almost borderline insane. Does he have video on you or something? You've been against goff since he was drafted. Are you a rep of mannion?
I don't have that sort of blind loyalty to Mannion or any other Rams player with one exception.
Now, how do we implement Quick into the new offense??