Qb competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant wait for the preseason finally get to see which QB is actually better. Joff or Mannion. They both will be learning a new system they both should have the same amount of time with the 1's Goff probably have more though. But this is going to be the first time they both are on a even playing field so to speak. This battle is going to make our team better. While I hope Mannion win if Joff beats him that just means he is the better QB.. Who do you got??

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Who's Joff? Joffery Baratheon? If he is, then I want Mannion to win the job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant wait for the preseason finally get to see which QB is actually better. Joff or Mannion. They both will be learning a new system they both should have the same amount of time with the 1's Goff probably have more though. But this is going to be the first time they both are on a even playing field so to speak. This battle is going to make our team better. While I hope Mannion win if Joff beats him that just means he is the better QB.. Who do you got??

There is no QB competition. And I'm not really sure why you'd hope Mannion wins.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is no QB competition. And I'm not really sure why you'd hope Mannion wins.

If McVay holds true to his word then there will be one. Because I believe Mannion to be the better QB

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Your mannion love is almost borderline insane. Does he have video on you or something? You've been against goff since he was drafted. Are you a rep of mannion?

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Your mannion love is almost borderline insane. Does he have video on you or something? You've been against goff since he was drafted. Are you a rep of mannion?
I agree with him, I think Mannion is the better quarterback. Draft position means nothing.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

In all fairness to the OP whether its complete infatuation for Mannion or whatever. The fact is they will both start as equals under new coaching. So time will tell on what happens but this is indeed for the numero uno spot. The coaches will provide us with what they think should be that. We will find out. Can't wait though to see the new era of Rams football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with him, I think Mannion is the better quarterback. Draft position means nothing.

If Mannion is the better QB, we are screwed. Absolutely screwed.

People begged to see Mannion. He got in the game and immediately threw a pick six. Mannion isn't a starting caliber QB. He's a younger Nick Foles.

If McVay holds true to his word then there will be one. Because I believe Mannion to be the better QB

McVay won't hold true to his word. It's the nature of the beast.

Nor does he need to hold true to his word. Goff is easily the better player.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will be interested to see if the Rams draft a QB under this regime this season, that might go along way in giving us an idea how they truly feel about the position.

With that being posted, I'm anxious to see Jared Thomas Goff under All the way McVay and the rest of the offensive staff because moving forward the sky is the limit IMHO.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I don't see any way Goff is splitting reps with Mannion. McVAY is not gonna make that mistake by not getting Jared as reps and as much experience as possible with the starting unit in OTA's and camp. I like Sean, but he's back up material at this point. He will probably be the #2 guy in preseason so we will get to see more of him against fringe starters. Let's see how they both look in August. Also, you know McVAY is gonna bring in a young guy at the 3rd QB, might not draft one, but one will be in camp to push Mannion as well. Only way Mannion starts is if Goff gets hurt some how IMO.

FRO

Legend
If Mannion is the better QB, we are screwed. Absolutely screwed.

People begged to see Mannion. He got in the game and immediately threw a pick six. Mannion isn't a starting caliber QB. He's a younger Nick Foles.

McVay won't hold true to his word. It's the nature of the beast.

Nor does he need to hold true to his word. Goff is easily the better player.
While I agree that Goff is the better QB, judging Mannion based off of the ending of one game is silly. Warner was like 4-10 in 1998, and that didn't mean anything for 1999. No I'm not comparing Mannion to Warner, but the guy has had no chance to prove himself either way in the league.

There won't be a QB competition. While coaches talk the talk, they don't walk the walk. McVay's career depends largely how Goff turns out. A QB controversy may be a detriment to his development. He will be given every opportunity and then some to succeed in 2017. If he falters, then next offseason will be a much different tune.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As long as we win the Super Bowl, does it matter if it turns out Johnny Hekker is our QB???

Apparently, it does to some, but not to me. imho, that misses the point.

You play to win the game...not be right about a player, scheme or any other thing. You play to lift the Silver Torch of Righteousness aka the Lombardi. Has it fallen into dark hands a few times. Aye...

Still, that is the aim.

Yes, I think Goff is the better talent. That said, I hope Mannion is a SUPER CLOSE second. Why? It's the NFL, duh. He's one spearing headshot or rolled up lineman away from being lost for the season, so rather than having the internecine squabbles, it seems to be that we should be rooting for BOTH to be at their best so that we can attain the ultimate goal:

Putting horns in that Lombardi Trophy!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as we win the Super Bowl, does it matter if it turns out Johnny Hekker is our QB???

Apparently, it does to some, but not to me. imho, that misses the point.

You play to win the game...not be right about a player, scheme or any other thing. You play to lift the Silver Torch of Righteousness aka the Lombardi. Has it fallen into dark hands a few times. Aye...

Still, that is the aim.

Yes, I think Goff is the better talent. That said, I hope Mannion is a SUPER CLOSE second. Why? It's the NFL, duh. He's one spearing headshot or rolled up lineman away from being lost for the season, so rather than having the internecine squabbles, it seems to be that we should be rooting for BOTH to be at their best so that we can attain the ultimate goal:

Putting horns in that Lombardi Trophy!!!

If Mannion is the next Peyton Manning, I'm all for him starting. But based on what I've seen of him dating back to his college career, I don't believe in him. I would feel similarly about Case Keenum if he were brought back. I'd be highly disappointed if he won a QB competition over Goff. Because I don't believe in Case as a starter.

While I agree that Goff is the better QB, judging Mannion based off of the ending of one game is silly. Warner was like 4-10 in 1998, and that didn't mean anything for 1999. No I'm not comparing Mannion to Warner, but the guy has had no chance to prove himself either way in the league.

There won't be a QB competition. While coaches talk the talk, they don't walk the walk. McVay's career depends largely how Goff turns out. A QB controversy may be a detriment to his development. He will be given every opportunity and then some to succeed in 2017. If he falters, then next offseason will be a much different tune.

I've watched Mannion for years. I don't believe in him as a starting QB. There's certainly a possibility that I am wrong, but I obviously don't think I am.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Imagine we can still count on a late draft pick or UDFA as a camp arm, so that might be interesting if he proved good enough to carry as a 3'rd QB on the roster, ... and whether our new QB coach can produce some quick & favorable results. Is there a developmental Dak Prescott clone available late ? :popcorn:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Okay... you did read the part where I said that I think Goff's the better talent, right?

So, that's not part of the equation for me. I'm also presuming, but leaving it as improbable, but in the realm of possibility that either Goff struggles in McVay's offense OR that Mannion sprouts wings in it.

I dunno because....no one can. And we BOTH know Mannion's development so far has been so lackluster that prison mirrors are more brilliant...

My only points are A) the goal should be winning the Lombardi no matter who is the QB. YES, we want our QB to perform well and not win in spite of him, but insisting on which QB it is misses the point and B) in this age where a team can lose a season because of one key injury, YOU BET that I want BOTH QBs to be as good as they can be in order to further point A. Irrespective of whether the starter is Goff or Mannion, it's important to have a solid backup (I believe it will be Goff and McVay will elevate his game significantly, but Mannion is a coach's kid who grinds systems and is a super hard worker and LOVES to be coached and after being ignored for 2 years in the pros, who knows how he responds to actual QB whispering?)

And really, whether it be Goff, Mannion or someone we haven't considered, are we REALLY going to fret over which QB if the Rams go on a late season tear, get into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and it's NOT someone's preferred QB?

"Dammit, I know we won the Super Bowl, but QB Z wasn't the QB so..." I can't even finish that sentence!!!

Yes, I think Goff's better. If I were to map out all the scenarios, MOST of the scenarios, 90+ out of 100 would have Goff winning over Mannion. (These are positive scenarios, mind you. Including negative scenarios, it likely evens out a bit, but still much closer to 70/30 based on some napkin math and I'm not wanting to focus on negative scenarios this time of year).

You and I both see issues with Mannion's game. BUT...if he comes out and starts just killin' it, I mean just KILLIN' it... That would at least require further examination.

TL;dr The point is to set up the team and the organization to win games, not to pick a quarterback. Yes we need to find a QB and the HOPE is that Goff IS that QB that many of us believe he has the potential to be. But it's not guaranteed. If we win with him, GREAT! If we win with another, also great! WINNING is the foremost consideration, not any one player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're not disagreeing. I'm not putting starting Goff over the team succeeding. If Mannion is the better QB, so be it. What I'm saying is that I have strong doubts about Mannion's validity as a starting QB, which means that if Goff is the worse QB, I'm likely going to be very concerned.(unless Mannion shows something I haven't seen in his game to this point)

I'm also pointing out that the reality of the situation is that there won't be a real QB competition. McVay isn't going to force Goff to beat out Mannion by giving Mannion a bulk of the starter reps. At least, I'll be shocked if he does that. That's simply the nature of the NFL. The #1 overall pick will play until he proves that he can't.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Okay. Totally agree with you, by the way. With only two guys signed, at least we're going to see Mannion get solid 2nd team reps and he's going to actually know what McVay's voice sounds like.

I swear that there were times that I'm not sure Fisher knew Mannion was on the team. Totally serious.

I think McVay's focus will be the edumacation of young Jared AND the reclamation of Sean Mannion, BOTH of which should yield substantial and tangible benefits for this franchise in the immediate term.

I have no real doubt that Goff will be our starter going forward. And it seems like we're saying the same thing. Goff should be better. If Mannion's better, the more likely scenario is that it's because Goff's worse, not that Mannion's seen the light and become a new QB under McVay and of course, that would be cause for serious concern. Of course, there is a possibility that Mannion sees the light under McVay.

I mean, Mannion's about to get his first taste of real pro development as is Goff.

And while people focus on Goff's potential, I see more people focusing on Mannion's pitfalls. It's not comparing apples to apples. Again, I'm not advocating for Mannion. What I'm saying is that I don't know how well Mannion will take to actual pro development which he's had virtually NONE of since being in the pros and I've chronicled since his draft ad nauseam. It's entirely possible that Mannion takes to actual pro development like a duck to water (sorry for the Oregon reference for an OSU alum...).

Does that change anything if he does? Does he close the gap? Overtake Goff? Just become a better backup?

I have no clue. I have...tenuous projections, but nothing to connect. I suspect that he will do VERY well under McVay (if Kirk Cousins can succeed, I have tons of faith in Mannion, let me put it like that...)

Rather than anyone complain about Goff v Mannion, which I think is silly, I think we all need to remember this is the NFL and we're going to have 2 much improved QBs this year. Considering some teams have none, I think we're going to be happy for the first time in awhile.