Official Vent Thread: Rams at Packers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we shouldn't draft anyone this year?

Signing re-treads on big contracts has not worked out well for us. The "youngest team" thing is kind of self-perpetuating because everyone in the world ages at the same time, and every team gets (about) 7 picks a year.

I agree though, our offensive line picks must start playing better. Its early - but this organization hasn't earned the right to fans being patient with how their picks have developed because they don't have a great track record so far - so its disappointing.

As a realist - I will say this. I think we will win 4 of the next 5. We are going to be right in the playoff race this year. I think we might even win our division. I honestly do. I think our defense is that good. We just have to play without the dumbness on offense - just be competent, and we'll compete.
The problem isn't drafting. It's that they load up on one position. Our line looks like it could use a good vet or 2. Same for our receiver core.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't help but feel what this team would look like with some combination of:

Wisniewski
Barksdale
Franklin
Iupati
Collins
Mathis

playing on the OLine.

I get that its hindsight, but the team knew where its deficiencies were coming into the season, and decided to throw inexperience at it.

I am probably way off base, but this O line is just not getting it done.
Exactly what I think. I like brown and havenstein though.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Continually drafting guys who cant pass block.....shrug.

Bruh, only game this year where the OL has been this bad. Earlier he OL wasn't that big of an issue. They had their gaffes, sure (like any other given line), but I'm not going to let 1 game cloud the big picture.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Why is take the sack the only answer? Slide away and scramble, even if it's just for a few yards. Maybe Foles can't get a 30 yard scamper, but he could easily get those 5-10 yarders like Rodgers used against the Rams defense all day.

Just trying not to be greedy. Of course I would prefer that he somehow develop pocket awareness but assuming that he stays what he is - he needs to at least know when to cut a loss.

I'm sure he knows that too - I'm not trying to pile on - but we are trying to build something specific here - a ground and pound - and we have most of the tools in place. You can't toss it up like that.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams have tried to sign veterans to fix the oline: Brown, Wells, Joseph, Long. That didn't work out either. Rams then tried to inject youth into the line and so far that hasn't worked so far. No matter what they have tried they have just not been doing a good job. I for one would rather have young guys who have the ability to get better rather than having another season of guys aging and on the decline like last season with Wells and Joseph. I think we can all agree on that one.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bruh, only game this year where the OL has been this bad. Earlier he OL wasn't that big of an issue. They had their gaffes, sure (like any other given line), but I'm not going to let 1 game cloud the big picture.
I really think it's due to our scheme though. I haven't watched a game where Foles had a clean pocket. He just gets the ball all out quickly or scrambles away.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams have tried to sign veterans to fix the oline: Brown, Wells, Joseph, Long. That didn't work out either. Rams then tried to inject youth into the line and so far that hasn't worked so far. No matter what they have tried they have just not been doing a good job. I for one would rather have young guys who have the ability to get better rather than having another season of guys aging and on the decline like last season with Wells and Joseph. I think we can all agree on that one.
I think they just needed a blend of both. You're playing with fire when your oldest lineman is in his 6th year and injury proned.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I still blame the o-line more than foles. He's played bad no doubt, but he was abused from beginning to the end.

Our line sucked more than Thai hooker in a gangbang.

Looking around the league - I'm not seeing very many consistently clean pockets anywhere.

Having pressure in your face is part of the position - speed up your progressions and get rid of the ball - throw it away or take a sack but don't turn it over. Our D is too good for that crap.

WvuIN02

Starter
Jake Matthews is getting it done in Atlanta while Grob is yet another project left tackle. Not Jason Smith or anything, but its continually missing on a franchise LT that has set this team back years. You simply cannot miss on picks this high in the draft. I think Bradford is a much better option fwiw behind this kind of line because at least he has some mobility to him. Foles is a statue, its a combination like throwing gasoline on a fire to put it out. At least a guy like Wilson (puke) could move around and make plays, Foles is like shooting fish in a barrel.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'll wait through midseason to see if this young O-line is worth it. Although I'm really worried about Robinson's progression at this point, he's an athletic freak yet he can get beat the by bull rush. Barnes is a backup at best, I expect us to look for a center in the offseason. Saffold is what he is, I dunno if Reynolds can step up; we'll prolly give a look at Wichmann as well.

Our O-line played how they were expected to today: weak pass protection and good run-blocking. Let's hope they can get it together in both phases later on.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Looking around the league - I'm not seeing very many consistently clean pockets anywhere.

Having pressure in your face is part of the position - speed up your progressions and get rid of the ball - throw it away or take a sack but don't turn it over. Our D is too good for that crap.
Idk, Rodgers had a pretty clean pocket most of the day....

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Idk, Rodgers had a pretty clean pocket most of the day....

Rodgers makes a clean pocket. He moves, he slides, he is a threat with his legs. Put Foles in those same "pockets" and it would have been just as ugly.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Quick gets a pass from me. (Pun not intended) He should have caught that pass, but all receivers drop passes they should and that was only his third target since he got hurt last year. (None in preseason, 3 this game). Bailey has missed at least one this year, Britt has missed a few, Kendricks has missed several, and Cook has missed a whole bunch. It is obvious they could use a #1 guy (Tavon is not that guy). Clearly the team needs improvement on the OL, but how much better is this team than they have been? For the first time in forever, I see real progress, playmakers, stout run defense, and the makings of a playoff caliber team. Keep the faith Rams Nation!
I realize this is the vent thread and all but this is where my mind is right now. I saw a team playing hard. Obviously the O-line needs to play better and Foles should never throw 4 picks.

The pick 6 however, I really put on Cook inexplicably quitting on the play when his QB was in trouble. Cook is really the biggest vent worthy player for me right now. There is no reason that I can come up with as to why he appears to quit on routes, drop passes, and really just play slow. Even that catch he made was a double clutch after almost dropping it. IMO - we need to bench Cook if for no other reason than to send a message. And hopefully Britt will get that message because he has been a virtual waste of a position this season.

So many people talk about needing a top LBer on the defense. I would trade our first and the two seconds to go up and get the best receiver coming out of the draft this year. We desperately need that guy to go along with TA and Gurley. I still think this O-line can develop and I also think GRob will get better and we have options waiting behind him.

We're close and this season is FAR from over. We played against possibly the best overall team in the NFL today in their house. And I think the most frustrating thing I see being posted here is that we really could have won that game. As bad as we played at times, that to me is refreshing.

View: https://youtu.be/s9JqbCH4aVw

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let's see...

Before today; the Foles trade favoured the Rams. Foles has a tough day. But...Sam has a big day.

Sam's great. Foles blows.

Is that how it works? No.

QB's have bad games. They have good games.

I am not pleased with Foles interceptions, but his pocket was horrible and I didn't see a ton of space around the WR.

Onto the next game.

Go Rams! Go Foles!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Rodgers makes a clean pocket. He moves, he slides, he is a threat with his legs. Put Foles in those same "pockets" and it would have been just as ugly.

Foles woulda done better with Rodgers line, but I agree Rodgers made time for himself. We gave Rodgers seven seconds in the pocket at one point, and he wasn't moving all that much when that happened.

Foles played bad, Our line played bad. Rodgers is Rodgers and his line played much better than ours. Can we agree on that?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Jake Matthews is getting it done in Atlanta while Grob is yet another project left tackle. Not Jason Smith or anything, but its continually missing on a franchise LT that has set this team back years. You simply cannot miss on picks this high in the draft. I think Bradford is a much better option fwiw behind this kind of line because at least he has some mobility to him. Foles is a statue, its a combination like throwing gasoline on a fire to put it out. At least a guy like Wilson (puke) could move around and make plays, Foles is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bradford didn't seem to do much evasion when he was a Ram. He looked good on the roll-outs and bootlegs and when they moved the pocket in a designed way - but I'd never seen him make a rusher miss until he put an Eagle wing on his helmet. He seems to be doing it all the time now - extending plays with his legs. Really weird. He made Kerrigan miss twice when he had a clear shot on him last week.

The one I'm worried about is G Rob. Hes had a year now. If he doesn't start improving soon its going to be rough for the line. Foles; Foles is what Foles is. He wont move around much. But he will stand tall and deliver a strike when he knows he's going to get crushed. I give him props for that. You can't fault his physical courage.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Foles woulda done better with Rodgers line, but I agree Rodgers made time for himself. We gave Rodgers seven seconds in the pocket at one point, and he wasn't moving all that much when that happened.

Foles played bad, Our line played bad. Rodgers is Rodgers and his line played much better than ours. Can we agree on that?

Yes WE can. :yess:

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm also a realist and it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams go 2-2 after the break when they should be at least 3-1 . Why lie . We've seen this act before .

WvuIN02

Starter
Ugh, its so frustrating knowing this team has so much talent and we only see glimpses of it because of protection issues. GSOT offense with this defense would be the most hilarious team ever put together...can I have a time machine please??

V3

Hall of Fame
Whenever we did sign anyone like that they sucked and cost more money. None of those guys are setting the world alight either. I don't have a problem with drafting the o-line - rebuilding it that way. Of course there's going to be some judging of it in hindsight - there always is. But it comes down to whether they assessed the guys properly and did they pick the right players? That we won't know for a few years. Its too early to judge them.
I have no issues with rebuilding the line but they should have done that at the beginning of the rebuild(not hindsight). Not when everything else is peaking(at least on D). They're holding everything else back.