NRR: Browns could bench Johnny Manziel for Christmas Eve partying video/Goes AWOL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
you guys are hilarious. ITS THE CLEVELAND BROWNS. Everything that comes from there has to go to Miami to win anything.

Its cursed. You guys think the Warner Curse is real? How about the Cleveland Curse? Where the word misery forms upon the mists of Ohio. Even going near the Browns facility could bring a pro athletes downfall from sports into motion.

I dont blame johnny for one second for doing anything possible to get out of there. Why waste more time in a place where you know you will never be apart of, or win anything. I dont even think the organization wants to win, so why in the world as a player, would you devote yourself to just getting paid? You become nothing but a mercenary. Every low dweller team has them, but its a known commodity in Cleveland.

They call him money manziel, but Johnny does want to be apart of a winning team.

Hell coaches are fired every year there, lets see how much people want to bash Manziel when he is playing for Dallas. Wouldnt have to do much to make the playoffs in that division.

Their fans dont even stay to watch the end of a play because they know the game is going to end.

That is the Cleveland Browns.No.... This is the Cleveland Browns.

View: https://twitter.com/malberson6/status/671552028020084736

So full of hope in the first few seconds, only to realize, that their team is cursed.

What the heck does the team have to do with it. Good players can play....regardless of the team. Are you going to tell me Joe Thomas sucks because he plays for the Browns.(??) Get real.

Johnny HotDog's inability to play has nothing to do with the team. It has to do with a lack of NFL Level talent and because he refuses to develop what talent he does have.

I swear.....some of the excuses provided for this clown in this thread make me wonder if half this forum is related to the goofball.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I don't believe Manziel is a good quarterback, or ever will be, in the NFL. I just never have seen anything in his game that says "NFL QB" to me. Improvisation is a good thing. Ability to move around and be shifty is a good thing. But I just don't see the guy reliably scaring NFL defenses with his passing.

Hated him coming out of A&M. Hate him as a Brown. Would very reluctantly support him as a Ram, but god I hope it doesn't come to that. Give me RG3, EJ Manuel, Chad Henne, Chase Daniel, Mike Glennon, Case Keenum, Sean Mannion, Sam Bradford or Geno Smith before Manziel.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are players in the NFL on all teams doing drugs, players failing drug tests, etc. The Rams had a player kill a woman in a DUI and there was not as much concern or media hoopla as there is with a young kid getting drunk and having a good time. It's comical to me.

It is media driven. And even worse, the Browns act like a jilted lover because this kid cannot take a crap without some moron nobody sticking his phone over the stall.

So the dude parties. Whoopideefukkindoo. He is still a kid. The dude is a young QB who has some ability you cannot teach, and some team might be able to get it out of him. All I am saying is it is worth a shot given how terrible our QB play has been for so long now.
Yeah because all the "other" NFL players are busy in church or at the librabry while Johnny is partying away.
Its unreal.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeah because all the "other" NFL players are busy in church or at the librabry while Johnny is partying away.
Its unreal.
I think when partying and addiction played a huge role in derailing his rookie season, to the degree that he went to rehab as his action to straighten himself out for the sake of being a leader of his team, then his return to drinking and partying should be seen as worrying. The difference between an alcoholic and a social drinker is that an alcoholic's life is under the control of his addiction. Thus they need to hold themselves to a different standard.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think when partying and addiction played a huge role in derailing his rookie season, to the degree that he went to rehab as his action to straighten himself out for the sake of being a leader of his team, then his return to drinking and partying should be seen as worrying. The difference between an alcoholic and a social drinker is that an alcoholic's life is under the control of his addiction. Thus they need to hold themselves to a different standard.
Who says he's an alcoholic?
Yeah the kid didnt start off on the right foot in Cleveland, but he's a kid. He isnt the first nor will he be the last that parties.
He went thru the team sponsored, over the top rehab process. He's allowed to drink alcohol, there is no team ban on it

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And I care about what he does on the field - and frankly, not much else.
And normally I would agree with you on this. Unfortunately, you can't put what he does away from the field in a box and say it has no effect on what he does on the field. He went to rehab not only because he had a problem but because that problem was causing him to not be prepared when he was on the clock with the team. He agreed with the team that he would not keep doing this. The video shows he is incapable of keeping to that agreement. That's a problem.

The thing this is NOT about is some player having a few pops on his own time. This is about a player with a self acknowledged problem that affects his job. As an employer, I require my employees to not negatively affect my business outside of work and also to show up ready to work. While drinking a (whateverthefuckthatis) by itself is not something that would tip my radar, if they were fresh out of rehab, it likely would.

And I'm really not sure I would like my QB drinking a combo energy drink/alcoholic beverage anyway. That shit is freaking liquid poison.

All that being said, I think @DenverRam is onto something. Who wouldn't want out of Cleveland - ESPECIALLY if you were a QB.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeah the kid didnt start off on the right foot in Cleveland, but he's a kid. He isnt the first nor will he be the last that parties.
He went thru the team sponsored, over the top rehab process. He's allowed to drink alcohol, there is no team ban on it
The fact that he went to rehab to figure out how to get his shit together off the field, the fact that Browns security had to track him down at his home the day before a game and drag him, "drunk off his ass," to fly to Baltimore, and the fact that a "commitment to nightlife" actively disrupted his ability to do his job all point to alcoholism. If alcohol and partying are preventing you from doing your job, you have a problem. I'll quote the Mayo Clinic:

"If your pattern of drinking results in repeated significant distress and problems functioning in your daily life, you likely have alcohol use disorder."

A very good friend of mine has lost everything because of booze. His company. His wife and kids. He's spent a fair amount of time in jail. And the biggest indicator that something is wrong is that he keeps drinking and pretending that he's not. I take alcoholism extremely seriously, and really want Manziel to get his life together, but his continued drinking and partying screams (to me) that he needs help.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fact that he went to rehab to figure out how to get his crap together off the field, the fact that Browns security had to track him down at his home the day before a game and drag him, "drunk off his ass," to fly to Baltimore, and the fact that a "commitment to nightlife" actively disrupted his ability to do his job all point to alcoholism. If alcohol and partying are preventing you from doing your job, you have a problem. I'll quote the Mayo Clinic:

"If your pattern of drinking results in repeated significant distress and problems functioning in your daily life, you likely have alcohol use disorder."

A very good friend of mine has lost everything because of booze. His company. His wife and kids. He's spent a fair amount of time in jail. And the biggest indicator that something is wrong is that he keeps drinking and pretending that he's not. I take alcoholism extremely seriously, and really want Manziel to get his life together, but his continued drinking and partying screams (to me) that he needs help.
He went to rehab because the team made him go.
We dont know the kid, we only what what is reported. And the media loves to report what sells the most. Scandal
From what I understand from a die hard Cleveland resident/fan is that Manziel worked hard this year. You dont read that in papers because peopel dont care. They only like the sensational stuff.
Like that he was drinking alcohol on Christmas Eve. Good grief

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He would be our starting QB and we would be a butt load better for it.

What these guys do in their off time is their business. I don't know where the Browns get off trying to dictate this kids personal life. We can all sit here from our respective moral high ground and judge him all we want - but we don't know what he is or isn't.

Judge him on the field - that's fine - but let's all give it a rest with the labels. I'm sure he wasn't the only QB who tipped a bottle or two on Christmas Eve.

Sorry 12. No disrespect intended. But you are dead wrong. Life is short. Opportunities are to be relished. You don't HAVE "personal time". That is a childish concept. A selfish even narcissistic concept. (Directed at Manziel. Not you)

I am a sucker for redemptive stories and don't wish ill on anyone in the league, but John John has taken the talent God has given him and not honored his obligation to make the most of it.

Too much money from owners and too many coaches and players careers rely on him taking things seriously to think he can live a life of recklessness AND be trusted with the role that earns millions of dollars.

I don't see anyone judging him. I just see people noting the obvious. Life has consequences. Sorry Johnny. You are not "hip and edgy"! You sir are a jackass hanging by a thread.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Exactly. They knew who he was, just like the Jets knew who Namath was. Let a team who actually wants the kid give him a shot.

Aren't the Browns that team?????

They moved up in the draft to get him AFTER he sent a text to the GM saying he wanted to be there.

Then they have essentially let him be a complete fuck up and a drunk while giving him second, third, forth, fifth and so on chances and letting him stay on the field and play when a lot of teams would sit him as punishment. Or sat him because his play is terrible.

Hell some team may have cut him or stuck him on the scout team just for the stunt he pulled a few weeks back that he lied about.

Don't try to make it like they haven't given him every consideration because boy oh boy have they.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We dont know the kid, we only what what is reported. And the media loves to report what sells the most. Scandal
From what I understand from a die hard Cleveland resident/fan is that Manziel worked hard this year. You dont read that in papers because peopel dont care. They only like the sensational stuff.

He went to rehab because he likes to drink, and he does it WAY too often for a pro athlete. I'm from CLE and know plenty of people there. JM was out plenty of nights even during the season. He likes to party and he cares about that more than anything.

That's why he went to rehab. He publicly apologized for his antics as he was going into rehab. He volunteered to go........

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He went to rehab because he likes to drink, and he does it WAY too often for a pro athlete. I'm from CLE and know plenty of people there. JM was out plenty of nights even during the season. He likes to party and he cares about that more than anything.

That's why he went to rehab. He publicly apologized for his antics as he was going into rehab. He volunteered to go........

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He was missing treatment sessions and meetings. He admitted to drinking way too much and that it was effecting his performance They had to send people to his apartment to pick him up. LOL. Does he have to send an email your way to get you to see the problem is his drinking. He's a drunk.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I just have one question for Johnny Boy...

A fucking sausage fest with cheap drinks ?

WTF

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just have one question for Johnny Boy...

A freaking sausage fest with cheap drinks ?

WTF

This shows that in some perverse way he's smart. At some level he recognizes that the NFL money is going to dry up pretty quickly for him, so he's trying to save some while still getting drunk.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let me quote Manziel's teammates from a little over a month ago:
"I'll let coach (Mike) Pettine dig into the justification, but I think it's probably more than what you see on the surface from a TMZ report or whatever report,'' said Thomas. "Like I said, we support coach's decision, and I'll let him kind of dig into the details of why he made the decision that he made.''

Hartline, responding specifically to a question about fans thinking that Pettine overreacted, backed up Thomas' assertion that the coach's decision to demote Manziel from starting quarterback to third-string was more about a pattern of behavior than an isolated incident.

"That's the thing (fans) don't understand,'' said Hartline. "You're talking about stuff that's in the locker room that you don't know all the facts to and you are making a lot of assumptions. That's kind of where we're standing right now, right? How we handle our business and how we go about things is on us and we stand behind the coach and the decisions. I think you guys heard Joe, Joe did a pretty good job. Kind of explained everything."

Asked to elaborate, Hartline said, "I'm just saying that it's an in-house thing that kind of spills outside because Johnny is Johnny. The people in the locker and the people upstairs know the whole story and how they feel about the whole situation.

"Regardless, moving forward, Johnny had a great practice today, he's not going to let it slow him down. Sometimes you gotta take one step backwards to go four or five steps forward and that can be the case."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/11/browns_joe_thomas_on_johnny_ma.html

If Manziel was working so hard and being such a good solider, why would his teammates come out to the media and support his coach while saying that fans don't know what's going on behind closed doors? And one of the guys is not just any teammate, it's Joe Thomas.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me quote Manziel's teammates from a little over a month ago:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/11/browns_joe_thomas_on_johnny_ma.html

If Manziel was working so hard and being such a good solider, why would his teammates come out to the media and support his coach while saying that fans don't know what's going on behind closed doors? And one of the guys is not just any teammate, it's Joe Thomas.
Im not sure what you're asking. He supported the coaches decision because he's the coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im not sure what you're asking. He supported the coaches decision because he's the coach.

He didn't just support the coach's decision. If that's all he was doing, he would have not said anything or he would have simply said, "We fully support the coach's decision."

It's pretty clear what's being said. I'll quote Hartline again: "You're talking about stuff that's in the locker room that you don't know all the facts to and you are making a lot of assumptions. That's kind of where we're standing right now, right? How we handle our business and how we go about things is on us and we stand behind the coach and the decisions."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@dieterbrock I can see you are a fan of JM but the fact is he is making a mess of his career because of his party-boy attitude. If he doesn't change that shit around he'll be out of the NFL very soon. He has limited value as it was, this isn't helping him at all.

DenverRam

Starter
Aren't the Browns that team?????

They moved up in the draft to get him AFTER he sent a text to the GM saying he wanted to be there.

Then they have essentially let him be a complete freak up and a drunk while giving him second, third, forth, fifth and so on chances and letting him stay on the field and play when a lot of teams would sit him as punishment. Or sat him because his play is terrible.

Hell some team may have cut him or stuck him on the scout team just for the stunt he pulled a few weeks back that he lied about.

Don't try to make it like they haven't given him every consideration because boy oh boy have they.
stop playing games.

The owner picked johnny not the head coach and there has been an argument back and forth ever since.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Sorry 12. No disrespect intended. But you are dead wrong. Life is short. Opportunities are to be relished. You don't HAVE "personal time". That is a childish concept. A selfish even narcissistic concept. (Directed at Manziel. Not you)

I am a sucker for redemptive stories and don't wish ill on anyone in the league, but John John has taken the talent God has given him and not honored his obligation to make the most of it.

Too much money from owners and too many coaches and players careers rely on him taking things seriously to think he can live a life of recklessness AND be trusted with the role that earns millions of dollars.

I don't see anyone judging him. I just see people noting the obvious. Life has consequences. Sorry Johnny. You are not "hip and edgy"! You sir are a jackass hanging by a thread.

Don't worry about me - I learned how to agreeably disagree a long time ago.

The great thing about opinions is we all get one. And this won't be one of those never answered ones - someday, we will know whether he makes it as an NFL QB or not.

I still say he does, but I'm still able to respect those of you who are ready to write him off. Time will tell. Until then, remember that we are ultimately dealing with opinions - not facts. And also keep in mind that the media exists for profit - not to steadfastly report real news. This is true in sports as much as it is in politics.