NRR: Browns could bench Johnny Manziel for Christmas Eve partying video/Goes AWOL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The CBA is big into limiting what coaches can and can't do. When they are in the building, they are the teams. When they aren't, they aren't.

Remember the big habaloo over Romo going to some island with Jessica Simpson?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a grievance filed on Manziel's behalf if he is benched. But I said that last time too - and none was filed - so maybe I'm just full of it.

Well, since the CBA allows suspensions for some alcohol related things, that wouldn't be likely to stand anyway. Add in that being benched isn't suspended - no leg to stand on. And it's not like he had a great game. He effed around, despite his alcohol history, and then had a bad game. I would love to see a grievance filed if he were benched. It would be laughed off. Not that the NFLPA would be stupid enough to file one. The point is that if JM acts like a scum bag, he had better perform like a star. He does act like a scum bag, and is not even close to a star. So he will be benched going into next week, and may or may not have a job going forward. I suspect he will, though a decent trade offer would net him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
freak cleveland are you kidding me?

I would be sniffing coke in front of the coach to get out of there.

I actually took my first real vacation in several years to go to Cleveland this summer. A friend had moved back there for family reasons. Too humid for my desert dwelling skin, but otherwise not a bad place - great ice cream, good local beers, great art museum (not likely to appeal to Manziel), good food, if not the greatest variety. For football players, relatively inexpensive by NFL standards (and most players only live in town for the season anyway), and IF you win, as good of fans as you are going to find. If you are the starting QB on a team that gets them a playoff win or two, you are set for life with the fans. Overall, not a bad place to play - if you are serious about the NFL.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He would be our starting QB and we would be a butt load better for it.

What these guys do in their off time is their business. I don't know where the Browns get off trying to dictate this kids personal life. We can all sit here from our respective moral high ground and judge him all we want - but we don't know what he is or isn't.

Judge him on the field - that's fine - but let's all give it a rest with the labels. I'm sure he wasn't the only QB who tipped a bottle or two on Christmas Eve.

I think you might be missing the point of a few people here...My point is that he has not done what he said he would do on more than one occasion..These aren't minor things in the eyes of their management, he's playing a dangerous game with his livelihood... I want no part of him, not in this lifetime...

DenverRam

Starter
I actually took my first real vacation in several years to go to Cleveland this summer. A friend had moved back there for family reasons. Too humid for my desert dwelling skin, but otherwise not a bad place - great ice cream, good local beers, great art museum (not likely to appeal to Manziel), good food, if not the greatest variety. For football players, relatively inexpensive by NFL standards (and most players only live in town for the season anyway), and IF you win, as good of fans as you are going to find. If you are the starting QB on a team that gets them a playoff win or two, you are set for life with the fans. Overall, not a bad place to play - if you are serious about the NFL.
i am not talking about the city or their fans. More so the organization and the owner

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I care about what he does on the field - and frankly, not much else.

Good. Then you'll notice how unimpressive he's been off the field. Unfortunately, your premise is flawed. Because what you do on the field as a QB is affected by what you do off the field.

If Manziel is out partying, you know what he's not doing? Studying film. Sleeping. Going through treatment. Working out. All things that could make him a better player.

So you'll have to excuse me if I want a QB whose #1 priority is football and not partying.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I think it was on pardon the interruption they were speculating he could be doing these things intentionally to be released so he can play where he wants.

Sounds like a dumb strategy... So could be right.

But in the process, teams are looking at this and are going to say "we don't need that headache"

Makes me sad, I loved this guy in college, he's really throwing himself down the drain, very Ryan Leaf-ish

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Four lokos...You'd think with all the money he has from football and his family he could get a little something better then that shit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is great news. Price tag on him just went down, and maybe the Browns will cut him outright. Fish is the coach for him IMO. Nothing's changed for me: add him to the mix on the cheap and let's see how bad he wants it in camp.

Worst case the Rams cut him. Best case they add a young kid with a live arm and mobility who fits this offense nicely.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He would be our starting QB and we would be a butt load better for it.

What these guys do in their off time is their business. I don't know where the Browns get off trying to dictate this kids personal life. We can all sit here from our respective moral high ground and judge him all we want - but we don't know what he is or isn't.

Judge him on the field - that's fine - but let's all give it a rest with the labels. I'm sure he wasn't the only QB who tipped a bottle or two on Christmas Eve.

His drinking/partying is counterproductive to his development as a highly paid NFL QB. If he agreed not to do that stuff and get caught on camera it is a violation. Either way he has a drug or alcohol problem. Nobody who goes to rehab should be near a party, much less drinking at one. He shows blatant disregard toward the Browns and is flirting with the possibility that he may never play for any team.

He is far from a good QB. He sucks right now and isn't dedicated to getting better. Why would you want a cancer like that on the team?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is great news. Price tag on him just went down, and maybe the Browns will cut him outright. Fish is the coach for him IMO. Nothing's changed for me: add him to the mix on the cheap and let's see how bad he wants it in camp.

Worst case the Rams cut him. Best case they add a young kid with a live arm and mobility who fits this offense nicely.

Yep. Great news. The Rams now know that this kid doesn't give a shit and can stay away from him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Let's get Blackmon and the rest of the malcontents on the team and blow pup any chemistry that they have. This guy is the epitome of unprofessional. The only thing he was good at in college Sandler football. He hasn't gotten any bigger or better in the NFL.

Fisher needs to avoid him at all cost.

DenverRam

Starter
you guys are hilarious. ITS THE CLEVELAND BROWNS. Everything that comes from there has to go to Miami to win anything.

Its cursed. You guys think the Warner Curse is real? How about the Cleveland Curse? Where the word misery forms upon the mists of Ohio. Even going near the Browns facility could bring a pro athletes downfall from sports into motion.

I dont blame johnny for one second for doing anything possible to get out of there. Why waste more time in a place where you know you will never be apart of, or win anything. I dont even think the organization wants to win, so why in the world as a player, would you devote yourself to just getting paid? You become nothing but a mercenary. Every low dweller team has them, but its a known commodity in Cleveland.

They call him money manziel, but Johnny does want to be apart of a winning team.

Hell coaches are fired every year there, lets see how much people want to bash Manziel when he is playing for Dallas. Wouldnt have to do much to make the playoffs in that division.

Their fans dont even stay to watch the end of a play because they know the game is going to end.

That is the Cleveland Browns.No.... This is the Cleveland Browns.

View: https://twitter.com/malberson6/status/671552028020084736

So full of hope in the first few seconds, only to realize, that their team is cursed.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Wilson has a stronger arm, far better mechanics, and is a more intelligent player.
I contend the mechanics and intelligence come from putting in the work. I don't think Manziel has ever worked on his craft. Wilson has.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you guys are hilarious. ITS THE CLEVELAND BROWNS. Everything that comes from there has to go to Miami to win anything.

Its cursed. You guys think the Warner Curse is real? How about the Cleveland Curse? Where the word misery forms upon the mists of Ohio. Even going near the Browns facility could bring a pro athletes downfall from sports into motion.

I dont blame johnny for one second for doing anything possible to get out of there. Why waste more time in a place where you know you will never be apart of, or win anything. I dont even think the organization wants to win, so why in the world as a player, would you devote yourself to just getting paid? You become nothing but a mercenary. Every low dweller team has them, but its a known commodity in Cleveland.

They call him money manziel, but Johnny does want to be apart of a winning team.

There is rationalization and then there's this. This goes so far beyond rationalizing.

Johnny Manziel was a drunk and a partier at Texas A&M. He lied throughout the pre-draft process about being reformed. His work habits at Texas A&M were shit. His work habits in the NFL are shit. He's never changed as a person.

This has nothing to do with the Browns. This is who Johnny Manziel is. You can tell this about him because his lower body mechanics are just as terrible now as they were at TAMU. A guy who cared about his craft would work to improve. A guy who cared about his craft would put the time in to get better. Blake Bortles did. Derek Carr did. Teddy Bridgewater did.

Why doesn't Manziel? Because football isn't the #1 priority to him and he doesn't work hard.

People can make up excuses for the guy and come up with explanation after explanation for why it isn't his fault...but it is. You can blame Kevin Sumlin for enabling him or the Browns for being too hard on him or Mike Pettine for not giving him a chance. But you're deflecting blame away from the one guy at fault. The one guy who isn't accountable. Which is why he's been such an underwhelming player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnny Manziel can't take a crap without some putz getting a video and posting it. Cleveland is a disaster. They've been jerking this kids chain since the minute he got there.
I'm with @DenverRam get the hell out of Cleveland so you can have a career.
And if he's a FA you can bet your azz he will be in high demand

DenverRam

Starter
There is rationalization and then there's this. This goes so far beyond rationalizing.
you can call what you want, but i will die in the year 2060. And the Browns will still have not won a SB.

You know why?

I can see the future.

DenverRam

Starter
Johnny Manziel can't take a crap without some putz getting a video and posting it. Cleveland is a disaster. They've been jerking this kids chain since the minute he got there.
I'm with @DenverRam get the hell out of Cleveland so you can have a career.
And if he's a FA you can bet your azz he will be in high demand
And thats the biggest thing. Get out so you can at least have a shot at a career, even if you fail.

We will never know what Manziel could do as a QB if he stays there.
Fail or Succeed, he has to leave the Browns.

The mind games they played with him in his first year..... i cant believe it. I could not imagined being drafted to a team, and having them screw with my mindset like the Browns have for some Journeyman Mccown while the team is like 3-10 or whatever. If this is what the first year is like, i would panic and run for the hills before putting myself through anything more with an organization like that. I cant even imagine what goes through a QBs head when they get drafted to the Browns.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got no sympathy for Cleveland...They went after a guy with little maturity and he was a Party Animal from day one....They wanted to believe in the tooth fairy, santa claus, and johnny manziel. I don't care what JM does, it's his life. I do expect Fisher /Snead to not make a mistake here, let someone eelse chase after fool's gold...