Looming LT decision this off season..What is your hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
When Whit couldn't go vs Tampa the Rams started Edwards at LT. Nobody is saying Edwards is the guy, rather just kicking around what it would look like if the Rams went that direction.

Alaric Jackson played LT in college, Edwards was mostly at RT, ... all of the college video & media coverage I've tracked down so far has Edwards mentioned as a RT prospect. Now, this isn't to say that Edwards can't play LT, but his run blocking was considered superior to his pass pro at the time. Both Edwards & Corbett became emergency starting throw-ins at OG during the 2019 season due to injuries, Edwards at RG & Corbett at LG, whether this was due to a perception that Edwards would be the stronger run blocker was never revealed, but for 2020 these players were asked to switch positions, presumably because of all the penalties that Edwards was flagged for at RG, although I don't believe McVay revealed the 'why' as to this either.
I don't know where any of these guys will end up any more than anyone else, but I do have to wonder if we've wasted Edwards' talents as an OT because we have been pretty stacked at the position while the IOL has been flailing. This thought crosses my mind also because Edwards becomes eligible for free agency following the 2022 season, and the danger of losing him seems acute for someone who may not feel he's a natural OG.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Alaric Jackson played LT in college, Edwards was mostly at RT, ... all of the college video & media coverage I've tracked down so far has Edwards mentioned as a RT prospect. Now, this isn't to say that Edwards can't play LT, but his run blocking was considered superior to his pass pro at the time. Both Edwards & Corbett became emergency starting throw-ins at OG during the 2019 season due to injuries, Edwards at RG & Corbett at LG, whether this was due to a perception that Edwards would be the stronger run blocker was never revealed, but for 2020 these players were asked to switch positions, presumably because of all the penalties that Edwards was flagged for at RG, although I don't believe McVay revealed the 'why' as to this either.
I don't know where any of these guys will end up any more than anyone else, but I do have to wonder if we've wasted Edwards' talents as an OT because we have been pretty stacked at the position while the IOL has been flailing. This thought crosses my mind also because Edwards becomes eligible for free agency following the 2022 season, and the danger of losing him seems acute for someone who may not feel he's a natural OG.
jmo.
All good points. However the Rams didn't start Jackson at LT when they were in a sudden-death playoff game a few weeks back. They started Edwards.

So going forward I don't know what to think other than Edwards is probably in play in that LT of the future decision process. We just don't see these guys taking those snaps in practice so it's hard to project who they're high on other than their actual moves like who they choose to start for Whit when Boom wasn't available. I also like what I've seen from Jackson but he didn't get the nod for whatever reason in Tampa.

Also entering the FA season with an in-house option as the fallback would pair nicely with going after Armstead who is rumored to be hitting FA. Not sure if that factors in but it has a good feel to it if they plan on adding a piece to this unit in the market.

Truth is the Rams always play the OL tight to the vest. They're hard to predict there, at least for me it's been hard to predict, and they tend to have guys outperform expectation too. So I'm not making predictions this time around, rather just kicking around possible directions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect us to keep Joe Noteboom. We developed him for this.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
All good points. However the Rams didn't start Jackson at LT when they were in a sudden-death playoff game a few weeks back. They started Edwards.

So going forward I don't know what to think other than Edwards is probably in play in that LT of the future decision process. We just don't see these guys taking those snaps in practice so it's hard to project who they're high on other than their actual moves like who they choose to start for Whit when Boom wasn't available. I also like what I've seen from Jackson but he didn't get the nod for whatever reason in Tampa.

Three questions as I'm having trouble recalling it ; 1) Was A. Jackson even eligible to enter the game ? 2) How many snaps did Edwards have at LT, and 3) How many snaps did his replacement have at LG ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Three questions as I'm having trouble recalling it ; 1) Was A. Jackson even eligible to enter the game ? 2) How many snaps did Edwards have at LT, and 3) How many snaps did his replacement have at LG ?
My memory is shitty too. Gonna have to go back and rewatch the games which will kill time anyway. I'm 99% certain that they started Edwards but don't see it on the snap counts so just gonna check the old fashioned way lol.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My memory is shitty too. Gonna have to go back and rewatch the games which will kill time anyway. I'm 99% certain that they started Edwards but don't see it on the snap counts so just gonna check the old fashioned way lol.

Sorry about that, don't worry about it.
I can't remember which, but I do recall a game where Noteboom came out and I believe Shelton came in, I just don't remember all the other details.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I'm mistaken. Might have been that Boom started the game then got injured. So the who slides to LT thing isn't as big of an indicator as it would have been if they chose to start Edwards there.

Either way I agree it's likely we re-sign Boom. I'm just throwing out the other possibilities, there really are multiple ways this can go.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think I'm mistaken. Might have been that Boom started the game then got injured. So the who slides to LT thing isn't as big of an indicator as it would have been if they chose to start Edwards there.

Either way I agree it's likely we re-sign Boom. I'm just throwing out the other possibilities, there really are multiple ways this can go.

I just wish we had this many options on the interior.
While I still prefer Edwards as a RT prospect, it will be interesting to get another look at Pircher at the position during the 2022 pre-season with a year under his belt, both these guys are very big boys at 6'7", but still small fry next to the 6'8" Havenstein. o_O

While we thought the same during the last draft about acquiring IOL, the same thinking has to become center stage for the next draft with our current poor depth and the likelihood Evans will be allowed to walk in 2023 free agency.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah LT is a lot of money. If we keep Boom he's gonna get PAID and will need to give us return.

So idk. Not gonna knock Boom as he deserves the payday that is ahead. But...

Maybe they move Edwards over to LT. That was their plan when Whit couldn't go last time around. Looking at this OL with that direction...

LT: Edwards
LG:
C: Shelton
RG:
RT: Havenstein

Rams would have room to bring in a FA OG. Then they still have Anchrum, Jackson, and Evans compete for that last spot.

Draft would need to add a couple new guys for the pipeline.
Rams have invested invaluable OTA & TC practice times with both Tremayne Anchrum & Alaric Jackson @ the LT position for two seasons. Meanwhile David Edwards the ex OT has been working @ OG since his arrival.

OT/OG Ancrum suffered a knee/ankle injury in preseason gm that placed him on the IR for over 4 wks. Ancrum was playing OT when injured was looking very good in his pass protection. Then later on was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. As a result, Anchrum was only active for ONLY 2 gms in the 2021 season after being active for 12 gms his rookie season. He has zero snaps with this offense.

Jackson really did not get much more action either...he was only active for 4 gms but did get in 61 snaps @ LT against the Vikings after Edwards starter @ LT & then moved back to LG after injury to Allen.

In the Vikings game, we get a rare opportunity to watch both 3rd yr David Edwards start & rookie Alaric Jackson finish up getting snaps with this offense @ LT. For the most part, what we have seen the last two seasons is Whitworth/Noteboom. I have the entire game recorded it is worth a rewatch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asGqNSLwgu0

We get a good several series of Edwards @ LT & the rest is Jackson. (note @ Merlin) Edwards looked very comfortable & effective playing LT.:wow2::sur::startstruck:I found this very surprising. Another interesting fact is Edwards played more offensive snaps than all of the Rams OL'ers this 20 game season =99.6%.:thumbsup1::laugh1:.

Meanwhile, I have been busy calling him the weak link:oops:, the one who can't hang with the rest of the OL...or the chink in Staford protective armor.
Another mistake I have been posting is saying that Noteboom is Rams #6 OL'er ......:lying:

I was wrong. The truth is Coleman Shelton has been active for all 20 NFL games this season finished 3 as the starter. He had 215 offensive snaps near 20% with the offense & played on almost all the ST's.

Noteboom was available for 20 but sure did not suit up for them JN has 173 snaps with the offense 15.9 %. Add in JN's been injured once again for several weeks now. Noteboom is the Ram #7 Ol'er.

Ram OL'ers SNAP counts for regular season:
#1 Edwards #1089 =99.6% (started one game @ LT the rest @ LG)
#2-Corbett #1085 =99.2 %
#3-Whitworth #926 =85%
#4-Allen #903 =82.99%
#5-Havenstein #903 =82.99%

#6-Shelton #215 =19.7% (Finished 2 games @ center & started 1 game @ LG)
#7-Noteboom #173 =15.9%
#8-Evans #90 =8.3%
#9-Jackson #61 =5,6% (finished 1 gm @ LT)
#10- Anchrum zero

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I went back and looked at that Minny game.. Edwards started and Jackson relieved... I have to say that you may be on to something with the idea Edwards could also be a LT candidate. That creates different questions on the inside, for sure, but it's interesting to consider. Jackson did well in that game.. but it was against backups and he did not look as smooth or fluid as Edwards, imo.

We'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went back and looked at that Minny game.. Edwards started and Jackson relieved... I have to say that you may be on to something with the idea Edwards could also be a LT candidate. That creates different questions on the inside, for sure, but it's interesting to consider. Jackson did well in that game.. but it was against backups and he did not look as smooth or fluid as Edwards, imo.

We'll see.
Glad you found that because I was thinking that I may have imagined some shit. It's funny I looked back but didn't go to the Minny game, didn't think it was that far back. It's been a long season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Regarding the MN game and Left Tackle.

It was in late-December. Both Whitworth and Noteboom were out (I believe it was COVID).

Rams decided to start Edwards at LT, with Shelton at LG.

Early-on, Allen went-down. Shelton slid over to Center and Edwards back to his normal LG-spot.

Jackson came-in and played really well. Lots of discussion following that game about Jackson's play.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes Jackson came in when they had to move Edwards to guard for an injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Glad you found that because I was thinking that I may have imagined some shit. It's funny I looked back but didn't go to the Minny game, didn't think it was that far back. It's been a long season.
What's weird is I was looking at this subject yesterday afternoon before I signed off.

I checked in this morning & found that you all had been posting on it late last night. I got to go back & review all the snaps that David Edwards got @ LT with the HD big screen so I can see it more clearly & in an overall view of what both Edwards & rookie Alaric Jackson were doing to be so effective against that Viking defense.

Maybe the play-calling of McVay & big assistance from Coach Carberry really helped just don't know. But It's really nice to discover this small cameo of excellent play from David Edwards. It is also interesting for me to think later this year in the OTA's & TC if in fact that Edwards might fall into a situation where he might get a big shot with Jackson @ that vacant LT post if both Whitworth retries & Noteboom departs for that big $$$ offers.

Edwards being a good bit over 6-6 tall will always cause him extra work when playing OG but that length sure comes in handy when you're playing out there on the edges. Starting all that time in college at RT, then starting as a rookie @ both OG posts (mainly @ LEFT OG) in the NFL sure will assist him if he is tasked to perform some @ that LT post. Edwards now only in his 3rd season has 53 starts & played in 55 gms. Close to 3000 snaps in this McVay offense is no small accomplishment. Edwards is only 24 yr old.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's weird is I was looking at this subject yesterday afternoon before I signed off.

I checked in this morning & found that you all had been posting on it late last night. I got to go back & review all the snaps that David Edwards got @ LT with the HD big screen so I can see it more clearly & in an overall view of what both Edwards & rookie Alaric Jackson were doing to be so effective.

Maybe the play-calling of McVay & big assistance from Coach Carberry really helped just don't know. But It's really nice to discover this small cameo of excellent play from David Edwards. Ints also interesting for me to think later this year in the OTA's & TC if in fact that Edwards might fall into a situation where he might get a big shot with Jackson @ that vacant LT post.

Edwards being over 6-6 tall will always cause him extra work when playing OG but that length sure comes in handy when you're playing out there on the edges. Starting in college at RT the starting @ both OG posts (mainly @ LEFT OG) in the NFL sure will assist him if he is tasked to perform some @ that LT post.
Yeah Jackson looked really good at LT too. Both of them really did a great job. So idk. The problem in all this is sample size for all of them.

It definitely seems like Boom is the guy but we might be in for a surprise or two on the OL this offseason.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I checked in this morning & found that you all had been posting on it late last night. I got to go back & review all the snaps that David Edwards got @ LT with the HD big screen so I can see it more clearly & in an overall view o

Tell the truth! You just wanted to show-off that you have a Big Screen HD TV.

You think you're better than us!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Regarding the MN game and Left Tackle.

It was in late-December. Both Whitworth and Noteboom were out (I believe it was COVID).

Rams decided to start Edwards at LT, with Shelton at LG.

Early-on, Allen went-down. Shelton slid over to Center and Edwards back to his normal LG-spot.

Jackson came-in and played really well. Lots of discussion following that game about Jackson's play.

Rams OL Snap Counts for Viking Game​

Off.Def.ST
PlayerPosNumPctNumPctNumPct
Coleman SheltonG70100%00%619%
Austin CorbettG70100%00%619%
David EdwardsG70100%00%619%
Rob HavensteinT70100%00%619%
Alaric JacksonT5274%00%619%
Brian AllenC1826%00%00%

This suggests that Edwards' LT snaps were closer to 18 and his LG snaps at 52.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah Jackson looked really good at LT too. Both of them really did a great job. So idk. The problem in all this is sample size for all of them.

It definitely seems like Boom is the guy but we might be in for a surprise or two on the OL this offseason.
If the Rams do get Noteboom to sign a future contract ....... it's great to have a team who (at this time) appears to be in very good condition in the team OL @ LT reserve with OL'ers like David Edwards/ Tremayne Anchrum & Alaric Jackson........most all the credit would be directed towards a guy name Sneed.
Tell the truth! You just wanted to show-off that you have a Big Screen HD TV.You think you're better than us!!!
:thinking:

My Samsung is close to a decade old & is not as big as most younger NFL fans have these days. but for a kid who was raised all his life with my parents with a black and white 19 inch rabbit ears TV it a remarkable step up.

Its a smart TV but I have no idea :dizzy:how to use any of that stuff I have to ask my granddaughters to fix that stuff in operation if I were to venture into that area.

My purpose for the HD is due to my age/sight & need to set right up front with my big man lazy boy recliner.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

My Samsung is close to a decade old & is not as big as most younger NFL fans have these days. but for a kid who was raised all his life with my parents with a black and white 19 inch rabbit ears TV it a remarkable step up.

Its a smart TV but I have no idea :dizzy:how to use any of that stuff I have to ask my granddaughters to fix that stuff in operation if I were to venture into that area.

My purpose for the HD is due to my age/sight & need to set right up front with my big man lazy boy recliner.
I'm with you on everything. From the black-and-white rabbit ears to the Smart TV that is smarter than me.

I became a Rams' fan at the age of eight when I came in from playing, and my father was watching a Rams/Vikings game on a small portably-TV that we could carry around. The Screen was about 5-to-7 inches.

I immediately fell in love with the horns, and pointed to the screen, asking "What team was that?"
He told me it was the Rams. I sat down and announced that "I am a Rams' fan."
My father replied ... 'We live in New York, we are Giants' fans.'
I guess I looked kind of sad, and my father then smiled, saying ... 'You can root for whatever team you want.'

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

You lucky devil. The best I could do as kid was the 17" Zenith B&W that my mom bought me for Christmas. My dad didn't want us anywhere near his big ugly HeathKit B&W that he actually had to put together himself. The bloody thing didn't even have a cage, it was just a giant picture tube with more than a dozen smaller tubes behind it.