Looming LT decision this off season..What is your hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
No question Noteboom will be their LT going forward. The only question is if they will keep Havenstein in 2022. With a cap hit of $9.5M I'd say probably not. Jackson looked good in preseason and again during the regular season.

I do think they probably will draft at least one OG. Edwards is at best a mediocre OG. He's looking like a backup swing OT. They can re-sign Corbett and Shelton as starters. It wouldn't surprise me if 2022 OL looked like this. Noteboom, Shelton and Jackson all proved themselves this past season. Edwards can return to his natural position of OT and Anchrum had a redshirt season to develop his technique. Edwards has experience and simply needs to practice and be coached up by Carberry at OT which IMO is his natural position.

LT Noteboom
LG Shelton
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Jackson

Swing OT Edwards, OG Anchrum, OG Drafted, OT vet or drafted

Right now the Rams have one comp pick in rds 3 & 4, their original pick in rd 5, 3 picks in rd 6 and 2 picks in rd 7. Assuming they keep those picks which is probably not likely:

3rd CB
4th LB
5th OG
6th OT, QB, TE
7th LB, RB

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I cringe the thought of losing a guy we developed. I hope he can be signed on a reasonable deal. Otherwise, how does the depth look? Is there a scenario we let Noteboom walk and invest those $ on the interior?

Oh man, do you have to pee in my cereal so early in the morning ? The Rams won't let Noteboom get away, BUT ... if they did :

And imagine if Corbett also chased the money with Boom, add that Edwards breaks a leg while on a ski slope, what might we look like going forward ?

LT - A. Jackson, Brewer
LG - Shelton, Anchrum
C - Allen, Shelton
RG - Scherff, Brewer, Anchrum
RT - Havenstein, Pircher

The Rams make the play and go out and grab Scherff in free agency and we survive another of god's trials.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I feel Noteboom is starter material. He could be very good.

One thing the Rams have been smart about; investing in guys that can stay healthy.

Noteboom hasn’t checked that box.

I cringe the thought of losing a guy we developed. I hope he can be signed on a reasonable deal. Otherwise, how does the depth look? Is there a scenario we let Noteboom walk and invest those $ on the interior?
Sure possible but it would fly in the face from what you & I have learned over the Snead era....that he does not value Interior {OG/OC} OL'ers as the same level with Exterior {OT} OL'ers.

Utilizing https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2021/ provides me enough information to believe in this. Of the top 10 highest paid contracted Ram players in this season, our two starting OT's are listed #5 (AW) then #8 (Hav).

Going back to the last highly paid interior Ol'er Rodger Saffold who was a very good OL'er many of his years with the Rams from 2009 until 2014 he was OT before shifting to LG when Greg Robinson arrive in 2014.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
BOOM IS THE GUY...stay with him if possible. It's gonna be hard because teams are gonna make him offers and we know the Rams are gonna have cap issues.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Something I can get hung up on is key measurables... on the OL.. arm length seems to be a big deal. I am super confused about Alaric Jackson... I've read in multiple places his arm length is 32.5.. others have him at 33 7/8.. So.. what the fuck? 32.5 is really, really short armed for a LT... 33 7/8 is on the low-end.. but absolutely can get the job done. So.. I just don't know. He looked great when he played!

Shelton is short armed and light.. I think he's a good backup C and interior lineman.. .and ... maybe.. could be a starting C. We did the undersized guard thing with Blythe.. I don't want to see that again.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thread is complete we got a new cut Havenstein post :D Guys one of the best RT in the NFL yet we need to cut him haha

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Shelton is ready to start, I see Corbett or Allen leaving as FA (unless there is no market for them) and Edwards remaining a starter.
It's my belief that Coleman Shelton is ready to start @ center now. CS is an RFA his cost will be easily affordable in a month. He is our top interior OL & 7th OL'er overall currently so it certainly makes good sense to bring him back & let him earn a starting position wherever there is a need to fill. Coach Carberry, the only options @ center are UDFA's & journeyman Jeremiah Kolone & Drake Jackson. His options @ OG & OT are better.

CS has played in the NFL for 4 seasons he has only made a little over $2 mil. in that period of time. Very Good chance he will make more in 2022 than what he earned for the last 4 seasons being groomed as a future Ram starter.

I really have no idea just what will happen in a month when FA'cy hits with our 4 OL'ers involved in it. Superbowl winning free agent OL'ers will be a very hot commodity for teams looking to bring that magic & experience to losing teams. They will pay more than the market price value for it!

Still, believe it's a very logical chance the Rams lose out to the ultra-high bidding for Noteboom/Corbett & Allen in a month. Leavin the Rams with Bobby Evans, Jamil Demby, Max Pircher, Alaric Jackson & Tremayne Anchrum as main prospects to fill in for the four vacancies.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's my belief that Coleman Shelton is ready to start @ center now. CS is an RFA his cost will be easily affordable in a month. He is our top interior OL & 7th OL'er overall currently so it certainly makes good sense to bring him back & let him earn a starting position wherever there is a need to fill.

CS has played in the NFL for 4 seasons he has only made a little over $2 mil. in that period of time. Very Good chance he will make more in 2022 than what he earned for the last 4 seasons being groomed as a future Ram starter.

I really have no idea just what will happen in a month when FA'cy hits with our 4 OL'ers involved in it. Superbowl winning free agent OL'ers will be a very hot commodity for teams looking to bring that magic & experience to losing teams. They will pay more than the market price value for it!

Still, believe it's a very logical chance the Rams lose out to the ultra-high bidding for Noteboom/Corbett & Allen in a month. Leavin the Rams with Bobby Evans, Jamil Demby, Max Pircher, Alaric Jackson & Tremayne Anchrum as main prospects to fill in for the four vacancies.

True enough that teams may be willing to throw money at available Super Bowl winning players, although of the 3, I believe Allen may be the most questionable because of his injury history, so retaining him might not only be the easiest, maybe the smartest also.
If Noteboom is lost, imo, the Rams will ask Whitworth to return, if that fails then I believe A. Jackson gets first crack, with Edwards & Brewer competing for back-up roles. Depending on Max Pircher's development at RT, that could determine whether Edwards can become a swing reserve OT or receive his primary 2022 pre-season work at LT. If Edwards gets moved off of LG, saving Allen at Center and making space for Shelton at LG may become our next best option. If Anchrum, Evans or Brewer can't nail down the starting RG role, then free agency may be all that can save us here, that or an exceptional draft pick that can pick it up by mid-season.
jmo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No question Noteboom will be their LT going forward. The only question is if they will keep Havenstein in 2022. With a cap hit of $9.5M I'd say probably not. Jackson looked good in preseason and again during the regular season.

I do think they probably will draft at least one OG. Edwards is at best a mediocre OG. He's looking like a backup swing OT. They can re-sign Corbett and Shelton as starters. It wouldn't surprise me if 2022 OL looked like this. Noteboom, Shelton and Jackson all proved themselves this past season. Edwards can return to his natural position of OT and Anchrum had a redshirt season to develop his technique. Edwards has experience and simply needs to practice and be coached up by Carberry at OT which IMO is his natural position.

LT Noteboom
LG Shelton
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Jackson

Swing OT Edwards, OG Anchrum, OG Drafted, OT vet or drafted

Right now the Rams have one comp pick in rds 3 & 4, their original pick in rd 5, 3 picks in rd 6 and 2 picks in rd 7. Assuming they keep those picks which is probably not likely:

3rd CB
4th LB
5th OG
6th OT, QB, TE
7th LB, RB
No question on Note who doesn’t have a contract but there is a question on arguably the best RT in the game who has a reasonable contract.

Good stuff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I feel Noteboom is starter material. He could be very good.

One thing the Rams have been smart about; investing in guys that can stay healthy.

Noteboom hasn’t checked that box.

Yeah LT is a lot of money. If we keep Boom he's gonna get PAID and will need to give us return.

So idk. Not gonna knock Boom as he deserves the payday that is ahead. But...

Maybe they move Edwards over to LT. That was their plan when Whit couldn't go last time around. Looking at this OL with that direction...

LT: Edwards
LG:
C: Shelton
RG:
RT: Havenstein

Rams would have room to bring in a FA OG. Then they still have Anchrum, Jackson, and Evans compete for that last spot.

Draft would need to add a couple new guys for the pipeline.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah LT is a lot of money. If we keep Boom he's gonna get PAID and will need to give us return.

So idk. Not gonna knock Boom as he deserves the payday that is ahead. But...

Maybe they move Edwards over to LT. That was their plan when Whit couldn't go last time around. Looking at this OL with that direction...

LT: Edwards
LG:
C: Shelton
RG:
RT: Havenstein

Rams would have room to bring in a FA OG. Then they still have Anchrum, Jackson, and Evans compete for that last spot.

Draft would need to add a couple new guys for the pipeline.
Doing that with Edwards just delays the paying of a LT or drafting of one off a year with Edwards and Evans free agents after 2022. Rather give the money to Boom if the Rams think they can keep him healthy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Doing that with Edwards just delays the paying of a LT or drafting of one off a year with Edwards and Evans free agents after 2022. Rather give the money to Boom if the Rams think they can keep him healthy.

Yup, it's not like the Rams won't be looking for a repeat Super Bowl visit next season, not with our otherwise excellent roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. But the difference is Edwards would need to play all season and kill it to get paid. He wouldn't have Whit in front of him and only periodic outings. Which leads to a safer decision.

And again I am fine with keeping Boom. Never been a big fan of his but he has done well in what was asked. The injury however is giving me cold feet with paying him LT money and as important a decision as this is everything has to be considered.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. But the difference is Edwards would need to play all season and kill it to get paid. He wouldn't have Whit in front of him and only periodic outings. Which leads to a safer decision.

And again I am fine with keeping Boom. Never been a big fan of his but he has done well in what was asked. The injury however is giving me cold feet with paying him LT money and as important a decision as this is everything has to be considered.
Yeah my only pause for Boom would be injuries but even with that I trust him more there than Edwards.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question comes down to overall strength of the OL. Which way is better of numerous options and again I'll admit I don't really have a good feel for what the Rams will do. In fact I have been wrong about the OL every year for at least a few offseasons.

Whatever happens I hope they improve the interior of the OL without losing too much on the edges. So in some ways this decision might also be influenced by who they think will be available on the market but yeah LT is the key piece that will slot the rest once that one falls in place.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah my only pause for Boom would be injuries but even with that I trust him more there than Edwards.

My understanding is that Noteboom's injuries have been at LG and playing in the Jumbo 6 role, not at LT.

I also question what people have seen that would promote Edwards over Alaric Jackson as an OT, especially a LT ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My understanding is that Noteboom's injuries have been at LG and playing in the Jumbo 6 role, not at LT.

I also question what people have seen that would promote Edwards over Alaric Jackson as an OT, especially a LT ?
It could be that just like Saffold but also like Saffold they still give me pause.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Whit couldn't go vs Tampa the Rams started Edwards at LT. Nobody is saying Edwards is the guy, rather just kicking around what it would look like if the Rams went that direction.