Looming LT decision this off season..What is your hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

How Record OL Injuries Doomed Rams Title Defense​

AllenBri18.jpg

Offensive Line​

There were far more offensive line injuries than usual in 2022. In fact, there were more offensive line AGL leaguewide in 2022 than in any other season we've measured. In 2021, no team had more than 40 AGL at offensive line. Last year, five different teams had at least 40 AGL for this position group. We have to start with the Los Angeles Rams, who destroyed the previous record for offensive line AGL by one team in a given season.

Most Offensive Line AGL in a Season, 2001-2022
YearTeamAGLMain OL Injuries
2022LAR71.0L.Bruss, J.Noteboom, B.Allen, D.Edwards
2020PHI57.1B.Brooks, A.Dillard, J.Peters, L.Johnson
2016MIN56.8M.Kalil, M.Harris, A.Smith, J.Long
2022NYJ54.7M.Becton, G.Fant, A.Vera-Tucker, M.Mitchell
2014SD52.2J.Clary, N.Hardwick, R.Ohrnberger, D.Legursky
2014ATL52.2S.Baker, J.Hawley, L.Holmes, P.Konz

The offensive line collapse was a huge part of the overall collapse of the Rams in 2022. The Rams were already trying to get over the retirement of left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the anchor of their Super Bowl championship line from the year before. His replacement, Joe Noteboom (11.3), missed half the year with a torn Achilles.

Noteboom's replacement, Alaric Jackson (9.0), missed the second half of the season due to blood clot problems. But the left tackle issue was nothing compared to the complications at center and right guard. In the preseason, there was a camp battle at right guard between Logan Bruss (12.0) and Coleman Shelton (4.0)—until Bruss tore his ACL.

That made Shelton the Week 1 starter. Then center Brian Allen (11.1) had a knee injury in Week 1. Shelton slid over to center, which would have made Bruss the new starter at right guard, except Bruss was hurt. So instead, we go to RG3, Tremayne Anchrum (11.0). That didn't last long, because Anchrum broke his fibula in Week 3.

Meanwhile, Shelton, now playing center, hurt his ankle and missed four games. So even when Allen came back, Bruss would have been playing, and if not Bruss, Anchrum would have been playing, so they both count for those weeks in AGL. And then Allen went out again, missing two games with a thumb injury and three with a calf injury. Eventually, the Rams ended up with Chandler Brewer (2.0) playing right guard, except he hurt his knee too. We haven't even mentioned left guard David Edwards (10.0), who missed much of the season with concussion issues. It was a colossal mess.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no faith in Noteboom. He's a marginal left tackle as it is. And he's injury prone. I'd rather take my chances with Jackson and make Noteboom the backup.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
First & foremost we need to protect M.S, I am not confident we have that covered in-house, hopeful yes but far from confident.
I would like to see us address the LT position from outside which affords us more quality depth from in house and we have swing T/G options that will help us get the strongest 5 on the field.
Of course a center would be nice too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no faith in Noteboom. He's a marginal left tackle as it is. And he's injury prone. I'd rather take my chances with Jackson and make Noteboom the backup.
It would be just plain stupid :clownto ignore the 4 straight seasons when Noteboom has been placed on the Injured Reserve. Then add his very poor performances in 2019/2020 & 2022 as a starter. How can the Ram Organization not prepare for more of the same negative issues coming from this LT post?

Plan #1a- Jackson & Nsekhe to be the duo in OTA's & Training Camp be the two main LT's when the regular season begins. As Noteboom, rehab end work him back in @ the LT post.

Plan #1b- If Noteboom is ready to start move Jackson into starting LG post-competition to eventually start. Keep all 3 of these Left OL'ers working on this let side. Nsekhe has started @ LG too.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It would be just plain stupid :clownto ignore the 4 straight seasons when Noteboom has been placed on the Injured Reserve. Then add his very poor performances in 2019/2020 & 2022 as a starter. How can the Ram Organization not prepare for more of the same negative issues coming from this LT post?

Plan #1a- Jackson & Nsekhe to be the duo in OTA's & Training Camp be the two main LT's when the regular season begins. As Noteboom, rehab end work him back in @ the LT post.

Plan #1b- If Noteboom is ready to start move Jackson into starting LG post-competition to eventually start. Keep all 3 of these Left OL'ers working on this let side. Nsekhe has started @ LG too.
Nsekhe is a UFA according to spotrac. Do they plan to re-sign him? I would think he wouldn't cost too much. Wouldn't mind re-signing Aboushi too. I thought those two were at least decent compared to what they had before them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nsekhe is a UFA according to spotrac. Do they plan to re-sign him? I would think he wouldn't cost too much. Wouldn't mind re-signing Aboushi too. I thought those two were at least decent compared to what they had before them.
It would take a 2 yr contract to land Ty Nsekhe for around $2 to #4 mil a yr. LT do not come cheap! Rams need that LT inurance real bad due to this Noteboom problem.

I watched him a bunch last season while he was starting for Noteboom & Jackson. I was of the opinion he played more consistent snaps & generally did better than the other 2. Ty is a 37 yr old veteran & its showed in perfromace.

No way Snead should not sign him ASAP to beef up this left side of the OL. Ty was a Snead UDFA signed as a Ram back in 2012.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’d say no to Ambush(whoever)
Noteboom restructuring is what Ram Players do! He is a Good Dude & an excellent LT!! Go watch 2022 9er games!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I watched him a bunch last season while he was starting for Noteboom & Jackson. I was of the opinion he played more consistent snaps & generally did better than the other 2. Ty is a 37 yr old veteran & its showed in perfromace.

No way Snead should not sign him ASAP to beef up this left side of the OL. Ty was a Snead UDFA signed as a Ram back in 2012.
Bonify’d, no way he played better. That game against Von Miller was F’mD UP from the beginning of scheduling. Worst thing that could have happened to Joesph Noteboom & The Rams.
Then add the 2 niner games in first 6(7). Really out extra pressure on The Rams.

In hindsight I’ll say it was The Best thing.Injuries really hurt.
IMO Stafford,Kupp,& AD99 could have ALL comeback & suited up for The Rams. The Rams will be refreshed going into OTA’s

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonify’d, no way he played better. That game against Von Miller was F’mD UP from the beginning of scheduling. Worst thing that could have happened to Joesph Noteboom & The Rams.
Then add the 2 niner games in first 6(7). Really out extra pressure on The Rams.

In hindsight I’ll say it was The Best thing.Injuries really hurt.
IMO Stafford,Kupp,& AD99 could have ALL comeback & suited up for The Rams. The Rams will be refreshed going into OTA’s
TY Nsekhe was the highest-graded LT starting for the Rams in 2022.

Facts below:
TN-70.6
JN- 67.0
AJ- 64.1

Rob Havenstein graded out 73.2 starting all season @ RT.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

How Record OL Injuries Doomed Rams Title Defense​

AllenBri18.jpg

Offensive Line​

There were far more offensive line injuries than usual in 2022. In fact, there were more offensive line AGL leaguewide in 2022 than in any other season we've measured. In 2021, no team had more than 40 AGL at offensive line. Last year, five different teams had at least 40 AGL for this position group. We have to start with the Los Angeles Rams, who destroyed the previous record for offensive line AGL by one team in a given season.

Most Offensive Line AGL in a Season, 2001-2022
YearTeamAGLMain OL Injuries
2022LAR71.0L.Bruss, J.Noteboom, B.Allen, D.Edwards
2020PHI57.1B.Brooks, A.Dillard, J.Peters, L.Johnson
2016MIN56.8M.Kalil, M.Harris, A.Smith, J.Long
2022NYJ54.7M.Becton, G.Fant, A.Vera-Tucker, M.Mitchell
2014SD52.2J.Clary, N.Hardwick, R.Ohrnberger, D.Legursky
2014ATL52.2S.Baker, J.Hawley, L.Holmes, P.Konz

The offensive line collapse was a huge part of the overall collapse of the Rams in 2022. The Rams were already trying to get over the retirement of left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the anchor of their Super Bowl championship line from the year before. His replacement, Joe Noteboom (11.3), missed half the year with a torn Achilles.

Noteboom's replacement, Alaric Jackson (9.0), missed the second half of the season due to blood clot problems. But the left tackle issue was nothing compared to the complications at center and right guard. In the preseason, there was a camp battle at right guard between Logan Bruss (12.0) and Coleman Shelton (4.0)—until Bruss tore his ACL.

That made Shelton the Week 1 starter. Then center Brian Allen (11.1) had a knee injury in Week 1. Shelton slid over to center, which would have made Bruss the new starter at right guard, except Bruss was hurt. So instead, we go to RG3, Tremayne Anchrum (11.0). That didn't last long, because Anchrum broke his fibula in Week 3.

Meanwhile, Shelton, now playing center, hurt his ankle and missed four games. So even when Allen came back, Bruss would have been playing, and if not Bruss, Anchrum would have been playing, so they both count for those weeks in AGL. And then Allen went out again, missing two games with a thumb injury and three with a calf injury. Eventually, the Rams ended up with Chandler Brewer (2.0) playing right guard, except he hurt his knee too. We haven't even mentioned left guard David Edwards (10.0), who missed much of the season with concussion issues. It was a colossal mess.

JFC, we broke that record the same way Bob Beamon broke the long jump record (by almost 2 feet) in the '68 Olympics.

I know some people (including our coaches) don't want to use that as an excuse, but come on ... that's the #1 reason our season went to shit right there. Whatever #2 is, it's way, way behind in siginficance.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Facts below:
TN-70.6
JN- 67.0
AJ- 64.1

Yeah, if you prescribe to PFF. I rank them right up there will Jake Ellenbrogen.

They had Noteboom giving up 5 sacks and 20 pressures in 5 games. I rewatched the games with a pad and pen and came up with 2 sacks and 5 pressures. Then I realized PFF has a contract with the school for the blind.

nighttrain

Legend
Start Boom til he gets injured, 5 or 6 games max, then bring in Jackson, hopefully for the rest of the season. This will tell McVay, if indeed we have the left tackle for the future, then draft according.

Trade AD to the Steelers for picks. Also plan on sitting Stafford for the season, letting his elbow and neck heal for a run in 2024. Should also draft a QB that has an arm and can run, think RGIII, should be able to get this guy in 5th or 6th round. Enjoy the season knowing it's 3-4 wins max planning for a strong 2024 season..
train

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Start Boom til he gets injured, 5 or 6 games max, then bring in Jackson, hopefully for the rest of the season. This will tell McVay, if indeed we have the left tackle for the future, then draft according.

Trade AD to the Steelers for picks. Also plan on sitting Stafford for the season, letting his elbow and neck heal for a run in 2024. Should also draft a QB that has an arm and can run, think RGIII, should be able to get this guy in 5th or 6th round. Enjoy the season knowing it's 3-4 wins max planning for a strong 2024 season..
train

I don't like your crystal ball. But I can't argue with it. It also begs the question, why not just tank?

nighttrain

Legend
I don't like your crystal ball. But I can't argue with it. It also begs the question, why not just tank?
Tanking would hurt the culture that McVay has worked so hard to build. Putting Stafford on the IR would have the look of a legit solution to our obvious lack of talent on the OL, anyway just food for thot
train

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
AJ Jackson is our LT of the future...

Noteboom is a bad LG and a garbage LT that got drastically outplayed by career journeyman Ty Nsekhe, end of story. Hopefully he's off the team sooner rather than later.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Facts below:
TN-70.6
JN- 67.0
AJ- 64.1

Like I said about The Bills game & then the NINER’s twice early.
Add injuries & playing next to Bobby Evans.
I’d rather The Rams wait & draft the best SWING TACKLE they can in the 2023 draft.
Maybe put Nsekhe on the back burner.I go by match ups & what I see & know. Maybe I’m wrong,but I say NO for now.Like I’ll say time will tell. We can address this at a different date.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Restructuring Noteboom is just dumb. I get they need to create cap room, but he hasn't been reliably healthy at all. Guess I shouldn't be surprised since we kept Bobby Evans (not saying Noteboom is that bad, just usually unavailable) on this team way too long. This off season has started off with a whimper.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes living the Dream here.Better than fantasy. Some like Oldschool is never wrong or be told how off he was on statements & views.He is a solid poster,but wants to make reference for blocking me.
SO LOL

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Restructuring Noteboom is just dumb. I get they need to create cap room, but he hasn't been reliably healthy at all. Guess I shouldn't be surprised since we kept Bobby Evans (not saying Noteboom is that bad, just usually unavailable) on this team way too long. This off season has started off with a whimper.

Looks like even Brian Allen was restructured a bit, for far less thank goodness, but still ... doesn't it just make your day ?