Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO he's the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid. If he wants anything close to one of the biggest CB contracts(which he obviously does) then I'll pass.
What does that mean? "Hes the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid." I dont see what you could possibly be basing that assumption off of. You clearly dont know Jenkins Personally. What characteristics do "the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid" and Jenkins share that set off your red flag?

On top of that you said Jenkins obviously wants one of the biggest CB contracts in the nfl. Again, based on what? all we know is the rams offered Jenks less money then he wanted (which is pretty typical for contract negotiations). There is nothing indicating he wants to be paid as the highest CB in the league.

jap

Legend
What does that mean? "Hes the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid." I dont see what you could possibly be basing that assumption off of. You clearly dont know Jenkins Personally. What characteristics do "the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid" and Jenkins share that set off your red flag?

On top of that you said Jenkins obviously wants one of the biggest CB contracts in the nfl. Again, based on what? all we know is the rams offered Jenks less money then he wanted (which is pretty typical for contract negotiations). There is nothing indicating he wants to be paid as the highest CB in the league.

I have noted an alarming increase of this self righteous judgmental behavior on fan forums over the years. It hasn't helped that the rise of shoddy reporting (e.g., Bernie) and Twitter seems to lead some into the delusion that they know! these athletes when, in fact, they are far more clueless than anyone else. I do not understand why some find it hard to believe that the image painted by the media, positive or negative, is rarely accurate. Athletes are people who have their own private lives off the field/court that can often be dramatically different from how they may appear at professional play. Increasingly too much are forums beginning to descend into the category of petty gossip forums.

No one at my workplace knows me very well at all. No matter how much I interact with them, it is never surprising to me when they are thrown for a loop by how I respond to a situation . . . because they figured they knew me so well. :rolleyes: Much of this is by design, I have no interest in letting people outside my personal world into my life unless I truly share interests with them on deeper levels. In my experience and the experience of most of my family & and closest friends, many people are so damn petty they will use whatever information they can get on you against you for purely petty, selfish reasons.

I do not try to get to deeply into player's lives because I doubt what is revealed in print is close to the truth. I can appreciate players for their dedication and efforts at professional play, but there are few players who's lives/characters are so transcendent that their apparent personalities challenge or even surpass their professional play in popularity.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I really don't think that Jenkins would slack off after signing his big payday contract, fellas.

I think that he's a "throwback" player, actually. Just loves to play the game, according to reports going all the way back to pre draft talk.

Not gonna play for free, obviously, but I think he'll stay if Demoff puts a fair offer on the table.

Anybody have info on JJ's agent, or his agent's negotiating track record? That could give us a clue.

Anyway, good CB's are hard to find. And JJ is now playing like a good CB. Hell, make that a very good CB. Pay him his market price. He's young and healthy and he simply deserves it.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have noted an alarming increase of this self righteous judgmental behavior on fan forums over the years. It hasn't helped that the rise of shoddy reporting (e.g., Bernie) and Twitter seems to lead some into the delusion that they know! these athletes when, in fact, they are far more clueless than anyone else. I do not understand why some find it hard to believe that the image painted by the media, positive or negative, is rarely accurate. Athletes are people who have their own private lives off the field/court that can often be dramatically different from how they may appear at professional play. Increasingly too much are forums beginning to descend into the category of petty gossip forums.

No one at my workplace knows me very well at all. No matter how much I interact with them, it is never surprising to me when they are thrown for a loop by how I respond to a situation . . . because they figured they knew me so well. :rolleyes: Much of this is by design, I have no interest in letting people outside my personal world into my life unless I truly share interests with them on deeper levels. In my experience and the experience of most of my family & and closest friends, many people are so damn petty they will use whatever information they can get on you against you for purely petty, selfish reasons.

I do not try to get to deeply into player's lives because I doubt what is revealed in print is close to the truth. I can appreciate players for their dedication and efforts at professional play, but there are few players who's lives/characters are so transcendent that their apparent personalities challenge or even surpass their professional play in popularity.
VERY well said.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In order to retain our young players, and there are a lot coming due, I'm guessing Chris Long and Saffold could be in trouble this offseason.

There are others, like Cook and Britt, that need to prove their worth too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In order to retain our young players, and there are a lot coming due, I'm guessing Chris Long and Saffold could be in trouble this offseason.

There are others, like Cook and Britt, that need to prove their worth too.

Yep, I would agree.

That 2016 cap hit of $14,250,000 mil for a 32 yr old Chris Long will stop you in your tracks. A release of CL will return approx 12 mil to the kitty cap. The issue there is the top 2 DE back ups are UFA's in 2016, leaving the Rams with just Ethan Westbrook & Matt Longacre. We also know that both Snead & Fisher lust after pass rushing DL'ers in all drafts. Where a DE Shawn Oakman there in the first round when we pick. Many here in RODland think that DE William Hayes will reup here @ a very cap friendly hit. I tend to agree.

The need for a very expensive versatile but extremely fragile 6th OL'er on the roster in 2016 will be determined by how well this Ram newborn OL matures. Garrett Reynolds looks to be the much better fit in this role than Rodger Saffold in so many ways IMO as the 2016 main 6th OL'er role. (RS $ 6 mil vs GR $1.2 mil.:thinking:)

WR/TE Jared Cook is an easy release for me where a 6 mil is returned to the cap kitty in 2016 in order to collect up the needed $$$ to sign up & make CB Janoris Jenkins happy:D. I feel (y) with TE's Cory Harkey & Lance Kendricks getting more action in the passing game & likewise I feel fine with Justice Cunningham doing the FB blocks in our running game, but I have some :cautious::unsure::notsure: with our WR's in 2016. WR Brian Quick being a UFA & the release of JC. I would like to see some sightings :yess:of WR Bradley Marquez as the season progresses. Starting with some screens to use his running power on those smaller DB's:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Stel

Starter
Can't fault the guy. He has a limited number of years to maximize his earnings off of his talent. We don't own him. If we want him to stay, we have to pay the going rate for a second contract for a top CB. If we don't, we better draft a replacement early in the draft.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

This is a good point. The CBA allows for teams to draft and develop young players at a cheaper price than before. If you develop a few into good players by the end of their contract, then they've earned a pay raise. They must have done something right to get where they're at now. They earned it.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He is worth 6-7 million a year. I'll bet that's what they offered. If he doesn't like it, we'll give that money to Johnson and roll with Gaines, Joyner and another draft pick. Roberson looked good in limited action, too.

We don't have to break the bank for Jonoris. He'll probably go to Miami and play at a level much under his contract just like the rest. Let's just continue to build through the draft. I think the Pats are doing OK with that strategy, along with cheating. They have the best team in the league and are way under the cap. They let guys walk a lot.

I'd agree. 6-7 million per year, 3 yrs is what try to get. I'm comfortable with our CB depth. I don't think JJ is interested in staying with the Rams if they don't move. So if that happens he'll be tough to negotiate with I think. His prior comments from this summer back that up in my mind.

DenverRam

Starter
did anybody say what the numbers they offered him?

I would like to keep Jenkins, but he is not a shutdown corner, so i dont know why he is acting like he should be paid like one.

Big Willie

Starter

You are correct your analysis IMO, however, I saw games last year where JJ didn't seem to be aggressive in his tackling. I can't give you specifics, but I remember several instances where I questioned his desire to tackle. It could have been because a lack of desire, injury, or some other legitimate reason. I've not seen that lack this year. Still it makes me wonder why I saw it last year. The only people who truly know how passionate he is to be a quality player down after down are his coaches. But I have my doubts because of what I saw on the field his first few years.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are correct your analysis IMO, however, I saw games last year where JJ didn't seem to be aggressive in his tackling. I can't give you specifics, but I remember several instances where I questioned his desire to tackle. It could have been because a lack of desire, injury, or some other legitimate reason. I've not seen that lack this year. Still it makes me wonder why I saw it last year. The only people who truly know how passionate he is to be a quality player down after down are his coaches. But I have my doubts because of what I saw on the field his first few years.
I could never understand why people get on Jenkins for his tackling I never expected a corner to be a great tackler but I never saw Jenkins act like he doesn't care. He single handily kept AP in check by himself last year, I mean it seems to me that people only look at his negatives and act like that is all he is a player with negatives. He gave up 2 bad plays last year and that's all anyone can focus on but over look the bad plays of EJ Gaines but say he was the best corner on the team last year. I just don't get it really.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see us keep Janoris and Tru. They're starting to really gel. Those two + E.J. + Joyner gives us some serious depth and talent. And Joyner could move to FS if we lose McLeod.

jap

Legend
I'd like to see us keep Janoris and Tru. They're starting to really gel. Those two + E.J. + Joyner gives us some serious depth and talent. And Joyner could move to FS if we lose McLeod.

If we can keep these guys we will seriously be challenging for the best NFL secondary.

Big Willie

Starter
I could never understand why people get on Jenkins for his tackling I never expected a corner to be a great tackler but I never saw Jenkins act like he doesn't care. He single handily kept AP in check by himself last year, I mean it seems to me that people only look at his negatives and act like that is all he is a player with negatives. He gave up 2 bad plays last year and that's all anyone can focus on but over look the bad plays of EJ Gaines but say he was the best corner on the team last year. I just don't get it really.
Tackling by all CBs has slipped over the last few years. I am not singling him out per se, but I do expect players who want to be paid like top CBs to be better than average CBs in all aspects....including tackling. But like I said, the only people who know for sure what the Rams have in JJ are his coaches. But for me, as an outsider, I have concerns. And, last year he gave up two really bad touchdown creating plays and a number of smaller bad plays that don't make most people's radar. I am not a fan of his....but the Rams will make their decision on how much he is worth to them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He's probably just waiting to see if he's gotta play in the cold or not, since he's afraid of a little chill in the air.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
did anybody say what the numbers they offered him?

I would like to keep Jenkins, but he is not a shutdown corner, so i dont know why he is acting like he should be paid like one.
Over the course of his career he has more defensive touchdowns then anyone in the league while also having a better career than Patrick Peterson, he gets beat more than Jenkins and gives up more touchdowns every year than Jenkins has and yet people say he is a top 5 corner if I'm Jenkins I'm saying look at my stars and my play and look at his

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tackling by all CBs has slipped over the last few years. I am not singling him out per se, but I do expect players who want to be paid like top CBs to be better than average CBs in all aspects....including tackling. But like I said, the only people who know for sure what the Rams have in JJ are his coaches. But for me, as an outsider, I have concerns. And, last year he gave up two really bad touchdown creating plays and a number of smaller bad plays that don't make most people's radar. I am not a fan of his....but the Rams will make their decision on how much he is worth to them.
He tackles better than a lot of corners and I would put him in the above average category for corners. And 2 bad plays yes they are bad but the guy goes out and play every game, and this isn't the first year he hasn't been targeted much that was going on last year too. I understand people don't like him but his play on the field can't be denied. No CB is perfect and the fact that he is correcting those mistakes he is still getting penalized because now it's Oh he is in a contract year that's why. The guy plays special teams and leave it on the line for his team what star CB is playing special teams and I'm not just talking about returning kicks

Big Willie

Starter
He tackles better than a lot of corners and I would put him in the above average category for corners. And 2 bad plays yes they are bad but the guy goes out and play every game, and this isn't the first year he hasn't been targeted much that was going on last year too. I understand people don't like him but his play on the field can't be denied. No CB is perfect and the fact that he is correcting those mistakes he is still getting penalized because now it's Oh he is in a contract year that's why. The guy plays special teams and leave it on the line for his team what star CB is playing special teams and I'm not just talking about returning kicks
As the old saying goes...beauty is in the eye of the beholder....and with JJ, I just don't see it.