Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
In order to retain our young players, and there are a lot coming due, I'm guessing Chris Long and Saffold could be in trouble this offseason.

There are others, like Cook and Britt, that need to prove their worth too.
Saffold, Cook and Britt would free up about $12M....all pretty easy choices to me. Saffold less so than the others. I would like to see Long redo his deal to free up some room.
Jenkins is very good vs the run also, undervalued with CBs.

Alan

Legend
I can remember a certain All World CB who couldn't tackle and wouldn't even pretend. He did OK.

DenverRam

Starter
Over the course of his career he has more defensive touchdowns then anyone in the league while also having a better career than Patrick Peterson, he gets beat more than Jenkins and gives up more touchdowns every year than Jenkins has and yet people say he is a top 5 corner if I'm Jenkins I'm saying look at my stars and my play and look at his
to be fair, AZ doesnt have a pass rush like St. Louis does.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
to be fair, AZ doesnt have a pass rush like St. Louis does.
You still have to have the skills to take them to the house and put yourself into position to capitalize on those plays. The defensive game against the Cardinals when he won the game for us.

DenverRam

Starter
ok, but there is vast difference then having to cover someone for more seconds then the average 3 seconds a qb has to pass. .

Janoris does not have to worry about it as much.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ok, but there is vast difference then having to cover someone for more seconds then the average 3 seconds a qb has to pass. .

Janoris does not have to worry about it as much.
So now we blaming a guy because we have a good front.. lol but at the same time if he wasn't producing touchdowns then it would be with this front we have he should be scoring touchdowns.. lol this guy just can't win for losing

DenverRam

Starter
You said he was a top 5 CB. Thats crazy.

1. Revis.
2. Talib
3. Sherman
4. Chris Harris
5. Peterson

joe Haden? Vontae Davis? Stephen Gilmore? Josh Norman?

Im not trying to hate on Jenkins, but i would be surprised if he was top 10.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1. Revis.
2. Talib
3. Sherman
4. Chris Harris
5. Peterson

When arod doesn't throw your way you're a top corner.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1. Revis.
2. Talib
3. Sherman
4. Chris Harris
5. Peterson

I never said Jenkins was top 5 but for you to have Peterson on that list when Jenkins numbers are better in pretty much every category while giving up less touchdowns every year. You have Josh Norman on the list lol he is finally having 1 good year I don't tend to look at 1 year wonders, they tend to flame out a lot. But I would say that Jenkins is better than Peterson

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I never said Jenkins was top 5 but for you to have Peterson on that list when Jenkins numbers are better in pretty much every category while giving up less touchdowns every year. You have Josh Norman on the list lol he is finally having 1 good year I don't tend to look at 1 year wonders, they tend to flame out a lot. But I would say that Jenkins is better than Peterson

Considering that JJ's bad plays equaled his good ones in every year but this one, I'd say he's in that one year wonder category too. Everyone keeps on about his mad take it to the house skills, I remember them too. I also remember his mad get burnt like toast skills. I'm gonna wait for a few more weeks before believing the corner has been turned.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Considering that JJ's bad plays equaled his good ones in every year but this one, I'd say he's in that one year wonder category too. Everyone keeps on about his mad take it to the house skills, I remember them too. I also remember his mad get burnt like toast skills. I'm gonna wait for a few more weeks before believing the corner has been turned.
Like I said though PP gets beat for more touchdowns then JJ though so what does that say

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see what that has to do with whether or not to resign JJ for over $7 mill.
It has a lot to do with it when the general consensus is that PP is a top 5 corner. But our own corner is outperforming him

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Franchise him. See if he can be consistent year over before offering him big money. I like the player, but 10-12 million is a lot for someone who after 5 games has played at that level.

I don't remember the last time we franchised a player but if there was ever a time this looks like it

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It has a lot to do with it when the general consensus is that PP is a top 5 corner. But our own corner is outperforming him

Is he? Opposition QB rating, opposition completion%, pass breakups, all that stuff? IDK I'm just asking but there's more to life at CB than INTs.

Besides, this discussion shouldn't be just about him. The performance of TJ, EG, LJ, and MR should play into it. The dollar amount of the salary cap plays into it, and how that impacts us maybe finding a WR capable of getting over 1,000 yards receiving. Finding a big play WR that isn't a gadget player goes far farther towards improving the offense than retaining any one CB does for the defense. And if we don't find an offense that can score points, well the losses we had over the last 2 years should show the folly of that.

Maybe the salary cap is raised quite a bit, who knows. If that happens, sure sign him. Perhaps Snead makes him a deal. Perhaps TJ gets offered 8-9 mil by a desperate team, and there's plenty of money than. Who knows, but retaining one CB is of critical importance, not both IMO. If you can get both kudos, but not at the expense of another less deep position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Saffold, Cook and Britt would free up about $12M....all pretty easy choices to me. Saffold less so than the others. I would like to see Long redo his deal to free up some room.
Jenkins is very good vs the run also, undervalued with CBs.
+1

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is he? Opposition QB rating, opposition completion%, pass breakups, all that stuff? IDK I'm just asking but there's more to life at CB than INTs.

Besides, this discussion shouldn't be just about him. The performance of TJ, EG, LJ, and MR should play into it. The dollar amount of the salary cap plays into it, and how that impacts us maybe finding a WR capable of getting over 1,000 yards receiving. Finding a big play WR that isn't a gadget player goes far farther towards improving the offense than retaining any one CB does for the defense. And if we don't find an offense that can score points, well the losses we had over the last 2 years should show the folly of that.

Maybe the salary cap is raised quite a bit, who knows. If that happens, sure sign him. Perhaps Snead makes him a deal. Perhaps TJ gets offered 8-9 mil by a desperate team, and there's plenty of money than. Who knows, but retaining one CB is of critical importance, not both IMO. If you can get both kudos, but not at the expense of another less deep position.
You can look at QB completion and pass break ups all day. The fact is that PP gives up more touchdowns than JJ the reason for defense is to stop the other team from scoring and fact is JJ does that better than PP. It's a known fact that the salary cap is going to rise with many predicting it's going to be more than we all assume it is. How can you be comfortable with MR in the lineup or even EJ Gaines. MR looks good going against 4th and 5th receivers and we don't even know how EJ is going to look after his injury. We can disagree about Jenkins play and his value, but we are already in great cap space even before the increase so yeah he will get signed he is still young and going into the prime of his career and signing him to a 10 million a yr contract is not going to hurt this team or their ability to sign our other free agents. Not saying he gets 10 million but I think he gets 40 million guaranteed in the 8 -9 million range with another 10 million in incentives on a new 5 yr deal. And with the rookie wage scale we can find that receiver you want very cheap so that's really not an issue at all.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
He
did anybody say what the numbers they offered him?

I would like to keep Jenkins, but he is not a shutdown corner, so i dont know why he is acting like he should be paid like one.
He's not? Seems to me that teams have either been completely avoiding his side or regretting it all year.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You can look at QB completion and pass break ups all day. The fact is that PP gives up more touchdowns than JJ the reason for defense is to stop the other team from scoring and fact is JJ does that better than PP. It's a known fact that the salary cap is going to rise with many predicting it's going to be more than we all assume it is. How can you be comfortable with MR in the lineup or even EJ Gaines. MR looks good going against 4th and 5th receivers and we don't even know how EJ is going to look after his injury. We can disagree about Jenkins play and his value, but we are already in great cap space even before the increase so yeah he will get signed he is still young and going into the prime of his career and signing him to a 10 million a yr contract is not going to hurt this team or their ability to sign our other free agents. Not saying he gets 10 million but I think he gets 40 million guaranteed in the 8 -9 million range with another 10 million in incentives on a new 5 yr deal. And with the rookie wage scale we can find that receiver you want very cheap so that's really not an issue at all.

Yes I can look at pass completions all day since they are first downs which of course allow you to score. Why wouldn't you? You don't look at pass breakups? Using your logic it's fine if a guy gives up 4 passes on a drive if the RB puts it in the end zone. After all, he didn't allow the score.

I'm comfortable with EG and MR. MR played last year against more then 4th and 5th guys when injuries hit. EG was a huge hit last year. I get that you like JJ a lot, but let's not downplay everybody else. JJ is good yes, but I stand by my opinion that retaining either TJ or JJ is important. Not both.

If we are in great cap space like I already said, go for it.

You can just find that #1 receiver in the draft for very cheap, just like that? Makes you wonder why we haven't done it in about 6-7 years then. We'll have to disagree on that, I don't think that's even remotely true.