Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

When he cause a qb not to look at his best receiver what is that. If you can take away the team's biggest threat what does that make you.. isn't that what Revis does isn't that what Sherman does.. I'm not saying he is better than those 2 but when he is covering the team's best receivers and the QB never throws that way at all doesn't that help your defense and limit the offense..

I get what you're saying - but as an QB you can't dismiss favorable match ups..

It's not always because a guy is shut down - especially when they have a favorable match up... Like a #1 WR in the slot vs a nickle, or a 3rd down back on a slow LB/Safety... happens all the time - offense is not just about skill, but match ups... its physical talent and chess match rolled into one

I'll take Tavon Austin all day vs a safety, especially on 3rd down even if Quick or Britt have one on one coverage in a blitz situation

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
i always liked janrois, loved the pick, even when he struggled early on. But to me, the offensive woes, are more of a serious issue then paying him 10m per year. Wouldnt mind if we did, but we need desperate talent in offense. Need two TEs, Need two Wrs, need a stronger line.

People think Gurley is amazing now, just imagine if he had Dallas line in front of him. Or didnt have safeties coming down, because they had to double a deep threat.

Exactly.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If your watching the game you would see the receivers other than Cook are not the problem. And all those receivers you just named are not available in FA so what FA receiver should we look at.. Defense and running that's what this team is all about

You said FA WRs don't help a team, I pasted a list of those who did.

Alshon Jeffery.

I watched the game. I saw JJ play well along with every body else on the defense and I saw pretty much everyone on the offense besides Gurley struggle to make consistent plays. Needless to say, we come to very different conclusions about the priorities going forward into 2016.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Can we get back to what this post is about? That's Jenkins...if you saw today's game, how do you not want to resign Jenkins if you can?

Jenkins isn't stupid though...he know he's having a great year...so why would you sign anything until you finish this year?

You can't blame the guy...but then again...we have to wait to see if Jenkins asking price is reasonable.

The thread is about resigning JJ and at what price due to other considerations. We've never gone off topic.

I don't think anyone wants to see him go, or doesn't want to resign him. The problem is at what price does the law of diminishing returns hit. How much is too much? 6-7 maybe even 8 million a year sounds good to me. $10 million is too much. IMO of course.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I believe the key to success in retaining a core group of guys on your team. Some guys are supplementary players, but you have to have a core group that gives the team its identity. I think Jenkins is one of those guys, and you pay whatever you have to to keep those guys.

Right now I'd figure our core group of guys are:
Todd Gurley (Duh)
Robert Quinn
Aaron Donald
Tavon Austin
Janoris Jenkins
TJ McDonald
Ogletree

Admittedly, we need to draft or obtain one or two more core guys for our offense. But not at the price of letting any of the above guys walk away from this team.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I believe the key to success in retaining a core group of guys on your team. Some guys are supplementary players, but you have to have a core group that gives the team its identity. I think Jenkins is one of those guys, and you pay whatever you have to to keep those guys.

Right now I'd figure our core group of guys are:
Todd Gurley (Duh)
Robert Quinn
Aaron Donald
Tavon Austin
Janoris Jenkins
TJ McDonald
Ogletree

Admittedly, we need to draft or obtain one or two more core guys for our offense. But not at the price of letting any of the above guys walk away from this team.

I agree, but I think it's just 4 players right now. Gurley, Quinn, Donald and Austin. McDonald is getting really close though. The rest I don't think give us an identity, they benefit from it. And I don't mean they are bad players or need to go. I like them. But those 4 are what will drive this team forward IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thats like saying brandon fletcher was an elite corner when justin king was on the other side

it's not always because one guy is a beast - a lot of it is because there's a great match up.

Just like a Running back trying to cover a slot receiver, or a shifty 3rd down back

Nobody was getting torched. Arod didn't put up huge numbers. It wasn't like they were moving the ball at will. Give the guy some credit.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I agree, but I think it's just 4 players right now. Gurley, Quinn, Donald and Austin. McDonald is getting really close though. The rest I don't think give us an identity, they benefit from it. And I don't mean they are bad players or need to go. I like them. But those 4 are what will drive this team forward IMO.
Perhaps our definition of core may be slightly different. I'm not saying that all of the guys listed are bonified studs. But they are players that have solidified positions that our team depends on moving forward. Perhaps you still don't think Jenkins is on that list, which is fine, but I believe many people would put him on that list.

Now I definitely agree that it doesn't mean the other players are bad. I'm a huge Chris Long fan, but if push came to shove and he had to be released to make room for any of my 6 or 7 guys, he'd get the boot. And I feel the same about having to possibly decide between Jenkins and Tru. If it costs too much to keep both Tru and Jenkins than Tru will see the door after the season and given a chance to make big money in FA somewhere else.

Just my opinion of course, but I think this is the best way to build a football team. You build a list of your core players and you make sure they don't walk away. Whether or not Jenkins belongs on that list is something only Fisher can answer. But when I hear how Fisher has talked about Jenkins since he drafted him, I get the impression he is on that list.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

If that is the average of the top 3 CB's and he keeps playing like this then yes. But I don't think the number is that high. Thought it was 12 but I could be wrong.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
That was last
If that is the average of the top 3 CB's and he keeps playing like this then yes. But I don't think the number is that high. Thought it was 12 but I could be wrong.

That was last year (2015). Add about 8-!0% for the increase in the team cap.

Bottom line he is making plus $11/ year in guaranteed money for 5 years.

iced

Nobody was getting torched. Arod didn't put up huge numbers. It wasn't like they were moving the ball at will. Give the guy some credit.

Not taking anything away from him - however i don't agree with the blanket statement that "oh Arod didn't throw at him" makes him a top corner...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not taking anything away from him - however i don't agree with the blanket statement that "oh Arod didn't throw at him" makes him a top corner...

I disagree. Arod spreads the ball around. The fact he didn't spread it to the guy covered by Jenkins says alot.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Alshon Jeffery.

I watched the game. I saw JJ play well along with every body else on the defense and I saw pretty much everyone on the offense besides Gurley struggle to make consistent plays. Needless to say, we come to very different conclusions about the priorities going forward into 2016.
Nothing is going to change on offense until that offense line gel and until foles is consistent. It doesn't matter who you have at wide out if those two things aren't fixed.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Alshon Jeffery.

And how much is it to get a guy like Alshon. How much, don't forget we won't be the only ones looking for his services.. I honestly don't see much point into adding offensive pieces until I know that foles and the oline can get the job done. So honestly I rather stay away from and offensive FA that's my point about saying whatever we need on offense we can get through the draft a helluva a lot cheaper that way

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nothing is going to change on offense until that offense line gel and until foles is consistent. It doesn't matter who you have at wide out if those two things aren't fixed.
And how much is it to get a guy like Alshon. How much, don't forget we won't be the only ones looking for his services.. I honestly don't see much point into adding offensive pieces until I know that foles and the oline can get the job done. So honestly I rather stay away from and offensive FA that's my point about saying whatever we need on offense we can get through the draft a helluva a lot cheaper that way

That doesn't mean you don't even look to upgrade a serious defect in your offense. I realize that we aren't the only ones looking at Jeffrey but the same will be said of JJ as well. I'm not advocating breaking the bank for either one. Just that if push came to shove cap wise the team is better off with TJ at corner and a guy like AJ at WR vs JJ and TJ both at corner. And we still may very well need OL help again if the rookies and GRob don't get it together. If Jenkins were to get injured today, this is still a NFC champ defense. This is not a champion offense. Whether or not Fisher does anything about that who knows.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That was last

That was last year (2015). Add about 8-!0% for the increase in the team cap.

Bottom line he is making plus $11/ year in guaranteed money for 5 years.

Which is why I would rather give him 1 at 14 then be tied to 5 years at 11. If he plays like this again with the tag then give him a longer deal if no replacement is found