Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
He has definitely played like a top 5 corner this year. He played out his contract without any hold outs (eg. Chancellor) and not got into any major trouble, pay the man his due. I agree franchising him is a good idea if there are work ethic concerns...but In personally don't think there are, he's just finally becoming the corner we took a chance on.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I can look at pass completions all day since they are first downs which of course allow you to score. Why wouldn't you? You don't look at pass breakups? Using your logic it's fine if a guy gives up 4 passes on a drive if the RB puts it in the end zone. After all, he didn't allow the score.

I'm comfortable with EG and MR. MR played last year against more then 4th and 5th guys when injuries hit. EG was a huge hit last year. I get that you like JJ a lot, but let's not downplay everybody else. JJ is good yes, but I stand by my opinion that retaining either TJ or JJ is important. Not both.

If we are in great cap space like I already said, go for it.

You can just find that #1 receiver in the draft for very cheap, just like that? Makes you wonder why we haven't done it in about 6-7 years then. We'll have to disagree on that, I don't think that's even remotely true.
Tell me how do teams normally find their #1 receivers. I swear I thought that was through the draft. Julio, Aj Green, Kenan Allen, Allen Robinson,Michael floyd, the list goes on. Just because the Rams haven't drafted that true #1 doesn't mean you don't get them in the draft. And Jenkins opposing qb rating is 79.03 which is very good which means he don't give up a lot of first down and he has 6 passes defended which means when they do finally throw his way it's incomplete and the reason why I said I don't look at completion percentage is because of the scheme that we play how we ALLOW qbs to complete underneath throws, so of course that's going to hurt completion. I'm not downgrading any player on this team but people say they need to see more out of JJ but then start talking about guys like EJ and MR. Lol so I guess they have shown enough huh.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Tell me how do teams normally find their #1 receivers. I swear I thought that was through the draft. Julio, Aj Green, Kenan Allen, Allen Robinson,Michael floyd, the list goes on. Just because the Rams haven't drafted that true #1 doesn't mean you don't get them in the draft. And Jenkins opposing qb rating is 79.03 which is very good which means he don't give up a lot of first down and he has 6 passes defended which means when they do finally throw his way it's incomplete and the reason why I said I don't look at completion percentage is because of the scheme that we play how we ALLOW qbs to complete underneath throws, so of course that's going to hurt completion. I'm not downgrading any player on this team but people say they need to see more out of JJ but then start talking about guys like EJ and MR. Lol so I guess they have shown enough huh.

I never said you couldn't get one in the draft. I said that it's not as easy as you make it out to be. Which you made it sound like those prospects grow on trees. I also said earlier that if a true #1 WR FA comes available in FA that's a bigger priority then JJ. Especially if TJ resigns.

Bottom line, if we have the money, there are no #1 WR available in FA, we don't need a LT because GRob has panned out, or TJ has left then sure, overpay. I think JJ is a good corner. But I don't think either him or TJ is a top corner. I think they both benefit greatly from the intense pressure we generate and the fact that GW lets them play off and read the QB. So 6-7 million per year sounds reasonable to me at this point.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That's fine if that's the decision he made, don't see why he's yapping to the media, though.
This is telling me he expects Top 5 $$$ and I don't think he is worth that. He is a very good CB ... but he does have his weaknesses and we also have other guys coming up. Don't want to cap strap ourselves for one player.

RamWoodie

Legend
It is what it is! Why be upset that Jenkins has made his option known? It's what FA has gone too and he's just trying to get the best deal he can...and HE SHOULD.

He hurt himself with his wild behavior in college, and the Rams got him cheap in the draft. He's had no off the field issues and when the Rams signed him they laid it out to him what they expected as far as off the field conduct. It helped him and I think the Jenkins has matured also. Naturally...I say that hoping he stays on the right path...and continues to play well.

He's gotten better! I've seen him get beat badly once against in the Redskins game. Other than that...Jenkins is coming into his own. This is year 4 for him and he's becoming a "seasoned CB" and on his way to becoming "top tier". It may *seem* he's playing better because this is an option year...but as I see it he's maturing at the position in normal fashion.

I'd like him to stay...but if a team offers him a better contract...how can you blame the guy?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said you couldn't get one in the draft. I said that it's not as easy as you make it out to be. Which you made it sound like those prospects grow on trees. I also said earlier that if a true #1 WR FA comes available in FA that's a bigger priority then JJ. Especially if TJ resigns.

Bottom line, if we have the money, there are no #1 WR available in FA, we don't need a LT because GRob has panned out, or TJ has left then sure, overpay. I think JJ is a good corner. But I don't think either him or TJ is a top corner. I think they both benefit greatly from the intense pressure we generate and the fact that GW lets them play off and read the QB. So 6-7 million per year sounds reasonable to me at this point.
Your ideas of overpaying are yours. I simply stated that you can find a wide receiver in the draft and with the type of offense we run sending a top round pick on a wide receiver I don't think that's something Fish will do. So you want to spend 50 million a year for a FA wide receiver lol tell me when has that ever panned out. I much rather spend that money on 1 of my top defensive players on my own team that knows the culture that knows the playbook. To each his own though bottom line we both are home watching and we see different things I see value you don't

DenverRam

Starter

look at chris harris contract. he doesnt even get paid 10m per year

DenverRam

Starter
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...-jr-signed-the-deal-he-wanted-where-he-wanted

"Oh yeah, I definitely could have gotten more off the open market [laughing],’’ Harris said. “I know that, we all know that, but it’s not all about money at the end of the day. It’s about being happy, and I’m satisfied. I’m happy being here. I’m not too big on just getting top-corner money or whatever. I was just focusing on being here and being able to get somewhere in the market of what my play is.’’

I would rather take a guy who wants to play rather then have a guy worry about how much he can get on the free agency market. Harrris was an undrafted walk on, even janoris got more money in his draft contract.

Jenkins should be thankful he plays on a defense like the Rams. And if he wants to get paid 10m a year..... enjoy Cleveland.

Last edited:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...-jr-signed-the-deal-he-wanted-where-he-wanted

"Oh yeah, I definitely could have gotten more off the open market [laughing],’’ Harris said. “I know that, we all know that, but it’s not all about money at the end of the day. It’s about being happy, and I’m satisfied. I’m happy being here. I’m not too big on just getting top-corner money or whatever. I was just focusing on being here and being able to get somewhere in the market of what my play is.’’

I would rather take a guy who wants to play rather then have a guy worry about how much he can get on the free agency market. Harrris was an undrafted walk on, even janoris got more money in his draft contract.

Jenkins should be thankful he plays on a defense like the Rams. And if he wants to get paid 10m a year..... enjoy Cleveland.

Harris also plays on arguably the best defense in the NFL and on a super bowl contender. Meanwhile, the Rams havent even made playoffs in forever. Theres much more incentive to take less money where you have a great shot at the super bowl

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Your ideas of overpaying are yours. I simply stated that you can find a wide receiver in the draft and with the type of offense we run sending a top round pick on a wide receiver I don't think that's something Fish will do. So you want to spend 50 million a year for a FA wide receiver lol tell me when has that ever panned out. I much rather spend that money on 1 of my top defensive players on my own team that knows the culture that knows the playbook. To each his own though bottom line we both are home watching and we see different things I see value you don't

Your ideas of overpaying are yours as well. Fisher may not value a top WR, if so I don't think that reflects well on him considering his offense and passing game in particular is the main reason we don't make the playoffs.

WR that have panned out. I pasted this from another thread from @DCH

"Well, Brandon Marshall is a huge part of why the Jets are having such a good year. Maclin's making a nice impact in KC. Steve Smith was massive for Baltimore after he left Carolina. Decker had a good year last season in New York."

I'm not advocating a stupid $50 million a year contract to a receiver. I'm saying a top receiver is more valuable to this team then JJ. And that should effect spending in the off season. Notice I have never once said I don't want him back. I simply don't want him back at $50 million dollars a year.

Watching this offense play the Browns right now I don't see how anyone could not think offense is our absolute #1 off season priority. And yes, JJ is playing well as is the whole defense.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your ideas of overpaying are yours as well. Fisher may not value a top WR, if so I don't think that reflects well on him considering his offense and passing game in particular is the main reason we don't make the playoffs.

WR that have panned out. I pasted this from another thread from @DCH

"Well, Brandon Marshall is a huge part of why the Jets are having such a good year. Maclin's making a nice impact in KC. Steve Smith was massive for Baltimore after he left Carolina. Decker had a good year last season in New York."

I'm not advocating a stupid $50 million a year contract to a receiver. I'm saying a top receiver is more valuable to this team then JJ. And that should effect spending in the off season. Notice I have never once said I don't want him back. I simply don't want him back at $50 million dollars a year.

Watching this offense play the Browns right now I don't see how anyone could not think offense is our absolute #1 off season priority. And yes, JJ is playing well as is the whole defense.
If your watching the game you would see the receivers other than Cook are not the problem. And all those receivers you just named are not available in FA so what FA receiver should we look at.. Defense and running that's what this team is all about

RamWoodie

Legend
Can we get back to what this post is about? That's Jenkins...if you saw today's game, how do you not want to resign Jenkins if you can?

Jenkins isn't stupid though...he know he's having a great year...so why would you sign anything until you finish this year?

You can't blame the guy...but then again...we have to wait to see if Jenkins asking price is reasonable.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd love to re-sign JJ. This is why:

1: He seems to hold the fear factor for opposing QBs.
2. He's learnt from his errors from the rookie years.
3. He's a pick 6 threat.
4. He gives 110%

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
IMO he's the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid. If he wants anything close to one of the biggest CB contracts(which he obviously does) then I'll pass.
But he's never been a lazy player, a stupid person sure but never lazy always put in the work.

DenverRam

Starter
i always liked janrois, loved the pick, even when he struggled early on. But to me, the offensive woes, are more of a serious issue then paying him 10m per year. Wouldnt mind if we did, but we need desperate talent in offense. Need two TEs, Need two Wrs, need a stronger line.

People think Gurley is amazing now, just imagine if he had Dallas line in front of him. Or didnt have safeties coming down, because they had to double a deep threat.

iced

Only because he didn't like the match-up with Jenkins.

thats like saying brandon fletcher was an elite corner when justin king was on the other side

it's not always because one guy is a beast - a lot of it is because there's a great match up.

Just like a Running back trying to cover a slot receiver, or a shifty 3rd down back

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thats like saying brandon fletcher was an elite corner when justin king was on the other side

it's not always because one guy is a beast - a lot of it is because there's a great match up.

Just like a Running back trying to cover a slot receiver, or a shifty 3rd down back
When he cause a qb not to look at his best receiver what is that. If you can take away the team's biggest threat what does that make you.. isn't that what Revis does isn't that what Sherman does.. I'm not saying he is better than those 2 but when he is covering the team's best receivers and the QB never throws that way at all doesn't that help your defense and limit the offense..