Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
You can tell some here NEED some REAL RAM Football NOW! LETS KICK SOME Brownies ASSES! SOON!:boxing:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It has been repeatedly reported that Rams wanted extend one or both of Jenkins/Johnson before the end of the year. I do not think these negotiations started by Jenkins or his agents. At best it was a mutual decision but more likely the Rams initiated the discussion.

Yes you are correct that the Rams initiated this good. My issue is not with this seasons negotiations but the not positive comments on the ongoing current Ram teams offers.

Big Willie

Starter
It's interesting to me that JJ didn't eliminate his stupid plays until he got to a contract year. His tackling has improved this year too. Coincidence? I think not. Last year I thought he was the second best corner on the team last year with Gaines being the best. EJ's injury and return are a concern, but I like what Roberson has brought in limited action.

JJ does not pass my eye test as a consistent, reliable, top performer like the best CBs in the league and as a result I would not offer him a Patrick Peterson deal. In short, I don't trust him to play to a high level game in and game out. I am in not even interested in signing JJ to a long term contract. I would rather we sign Johnson to an agreement (he has been up and down too), have Gaines and Roberson battle for the other spot, and draft a CB in the second or third round next year.

I am probably in the minority....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams should franchise him. See if he can keep playing at the same level. It is not surprising to me that he becomes a shut down corner in his walk season. In prior years he had many mistakes mixed with great play, but those mistakes happened to be very costly.

Franchise him for the next two years if they have to. If his play is still the same then consider paying him but it really seems like he wants to get out of Dodge.

He didn't have that many mistakes to negate what he did before this year.

He had a few bad plays and right now is playing great.

I would rather see a big bonus and good fair market contract than franchise him.

They may need that franchise tag for Case or Jo-Lonn.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
He's playing on a par with some of the "top" cb's in the league. He's kept out of trouble, and stayed healthy. In addition, we're currently saving a ton of money on the o-line, combine that with the potential savings from making a cut or two from the receiving corps, and I think we eventually sign him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd hate to lose him. We also have Tru possibly hitting the market.
I'd be OK with Gaines and Tru, if Joyner improves this season. Roberson is also a guy that I really like.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
O
I've said it before and will say it again: signing Jenks will be a mistake. Look at his track record... The dude finally gets it together in his contract season. What's gonna happen when he's loaded and happy? Pass man.

Rams have two starting CBs in Gaines and Joyner (slot). All they have to do is draft another guy, and with Fish their draft record on DBs is very good.
Or, he has "gotten it together" in his 3rd yr in the league under his 2nd DC. JJ had always had the skills. It just took him a minute to get up to NFL spred on *every * play under different D schemes.

Dude is a top talert in the league. Pay the man!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't have said it better myself, Merlin. I want the Rams to sign Jenkins, because he is a good corner and a great playmaker, but if he wants to handicap the team, they should pass.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting to me that JJ didn't eliminate his stupid plays until he got to a contract year. His tackling has improved this year too. Coincidence? I think not. Last year I thought he was the second best corner on the team last year with Gaines being the best. EJ's injury and return are a concern, but I like what Roberson has brought in limited action.

JJ does not pass my eye test as a consistent, reliable, top performer like the best CBs in the league and as a result I would not offer him a Patrick Peterson deal. In short, I don't trust him to play to a high level game in and game out. I am in not even interested in signing JJ to a long term contract. I would rather we sign Johnson to an agreement (he has been up and down too), have Gaines and Roberson battle for the other spot, and draft a CB in the second or third round next year.

I am probably in the minority....

I get it. People fall in love with a rookie who played well, but Jenkins had a better rookie year while guarding the team's best receiver. Gaines never shadowed the teams best Receiver and now he is coming off a major injury, and now you say you rather have Johnson who has injury issues and performance issues his self. I just don't get why some fans don't like JJ when in all honesty he has had a much better career than Patrick Peterson

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Did anyone else read the whole article this one was grabbed from? It was a Jim Thomas post, and in the article Jenkins states that for the first time this year he's fully healthy, no more nagging injuries. Of course that could be his internal excuse, but anyone who believes that JJ has decided to step up just in time to get a new contract might want to take that into consideration. It's funny how people bring up JJ's past as if he's trouble, and yet no one brings up other Rams altercations while in horns. Fans love to vilify JJ.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-secondary-comes-together-behind-jenkins/article_1b9bdc6a-cc90-5cab-9af4-f50bb8a1165f.html

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I find the fact that people want the members of the team they root for to be some idealized version of what they feel people should be like so ludicrous as to be laughable.

And very sad at the same time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I find the fact that people want the members of the team they root for to be some idealized version of what they feel people should be like so ludicrous as to be laughable.

And very sad at the same time.

If only scum like Claude Terrell, Lawrence Phillips, Darryl Henley, and Richie Incognito were what people should be like. Is it sad, laughable, and ludicrous to think that?

As for Jenkins, I'd franchise him if he wants to test free agency and work out a long-term deal after that. He doesn't have to prove anything, but I'd rather have him than not. This coming from a girl who isn't a Jenkins fan.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
He is worth 6-7 million a year. I'll bet that's what they offered. If he doesn't like it, we'll give that money to Johnson and roll with Gaines, Joyner and another draft pick. Roberson looked good in limited action, too.

We don't have to break the bank for Jonoris. He'll probably go to Miami and play at a level much under his contract just like the rest. Let's just continue to build through the draft. I think the Pats are doing OK with that strategy, along with cheating. They have the best team in the league and are way under the cap. They let guys walk a lot.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Guys who finally become consistently good in their contract year, damn it pisses me off. Tough game for management to win at.

Agreed...I'm sick to death of a decent player really trying to put out in a contract year...Where were you before ??? Fuck you, I don't like threats...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The league requires players to talk to the media. He was answering a specific question. I suppose he could (and maybe should) have just gone with 'no comment' but the league puts these guys in a tough spot by forcing them to be available for questions.

What was the specific question that he was asked ???

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Certainly don't mind giving him a nice juicy contract with incentives that give us the option to cut ties if he gets back into the habit of biting the double move consistently.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is worth 6-7 million a year. I'll bet that's what they offered. If he doesn't like it, we'll give that money to Johnson and roll with Gaines, Joyner and another draft pick. Roberson looked good in limited action, too.

We don't have to break the bank for Jonoris. He'll probably go to Miami and play at a level much under his contract just like the rest. Let's just continue to build through the draft. I think the Pats are doing OK with that strategy, along with cheating. They have the best team in the league and are way under the cap. They let guys walk a lot.

They paid revis $16m last season and finally won a Superbowl again, like magic.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah let jj walk. Shutdown corners are so easy to find.

Big Willie

Starter
I get it. People fall in love with a rookie who played well, but Jenkins had a better rookie year while guarding the team's best receiver. Gaines never shadowed the teams best Receiver and now he is coming off a major injury, and now you say you rather have Johnson who has injury issues and performance issues his self. I just don't get why some fans don't like JJ when in all honesty he has had a much better career than Patrick Peterson
JJ has the most potential as a CB on the team. That said, I don't trust JJ to play at the highest level when a contract is not on the line. I am not comparing any of the other CBs on the team to JJ, I am simply saying I would prefer players that play to their potential on a consistent basis over someone I don't trust. Chances are JJ will be resigned by the Rams at some large salary. But, buyer beware and let's hope he doesn't return to the 2014 version of JJ.