Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
per rotoworld:
The Rams have been talking extension with Jenkins for awhile and just offered him another contract during the bye week, but Jenkins didn't sound impressed by it. "When they gave me those numbers," Jenkins said. "It was something I didn’t want to hear. I ended it just like that. I’ll play it out. I’m gonna bet on myself." Supremely talented, Jenkins had a knack for giving up a ton of big plays while also creating some his first three seasons. In year four, Jenkins is currently PFF's No. 16 corner, playing strong in coverage and against the run.

If there were ever a year to bet on himself this would be the one. Dude is gonna get paid somewhere. I hope it's with the Rams

jjab360

Legend
That's fine if that's the decision he made, don't see why he's yapping to the media, though.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's fine if that's the decision he made, don't see why he's yapping to the media, though.
Leverage I'd guess. Making it public that he's gone if he doesn't get the contract he's after. God knows there's gonna be rumors of teams looking at him in the offseason from here and on. Might put pressure on fisher to get it done now.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Personally, I think some team will give him more money than the Rams will want to. Which is usually what happens in free agency. Teams overpay for guys and guys are looking to make the most money they can. And realistically, if the Rams don't make the playoffs this year, why would he want to stay?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I think some team will give him more money than the Rams will want to. Which is usually what happens in free agency. Teams overpay for guys and guys are looking to make the most money they can. And realistically, if the Rams don't make the playoffs this year, why would he want to stay?
Money lol and good players leave great teams for money too. I've never been miserable about anyone that fisher let go (even barksdale) but I'd want Jenkins to stay. He's being avoided on passing downs and that's telling of how good he is/can be

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Guys who finally become consistently good in their contract year, damn it pisses me off. Tough game for management to win at.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he stays. It seems like Fisher has always liked him.

It's true that any average NFL player would get more from another team - but not everyone wants to move to a new place. Anytime a player signs with his own team, it was a hometown discount.

Jenkins is one of my favorite players, and I want him to stay for selfish reasons (I have his jersey) - but if the FO decide that paying a CB $10-12 mil per year is worth it, then I'd get on board with that.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think he stays. It seems like Fisher has always liked him.

Snead won't overpay, though. But that was typically with aging vets or typically injuried players. We'll see how it shakes out.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
That kind of talk pisses me off. Just shut the fuck up and play ball. We all know how this type of stuff plays out, you don't have to say it. TBH, he almost makes me not care if he is re-signed.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Tough call - sure would like to know the numbers.
So...the Rams are maybe offering what..5 years at $10-12M a year with $30m guaranteed, and he wants 6 years at $15 per, with $50?

Just guessing.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would offer him $10M a year average, structured however they wanted to. I think that is what it will take to keep him, wouldn't really go above that. About the same for Johnson, $8-9 for him.

fearsomefour

Legend
So...the Rams are maybe offering what..5 years at $10-12M a year with $30m guaranteed, and he wants 6 years at $15 per, with $50?

Just guessing.
You are probably right.
Peterson kind of money. He is a very good CB, but, not the best in the league. Sadly I could see him going someplace like SF for the money he wants. JJ, Tru and Barron are all priority keeps to me, that is why talk of adding some high priced WR is fallacy to me.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys who finally become consistently good in their contract year, damn it pisses me off. Tough game for management to win at.
It's the worst lol and on top of that l, what if quick shows up for the rest of the season? and trumaine is having a good year, is he gonna want elite money too? Sheesh

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just guessing.
I think he should get paid below Patrick Peterson, above Byron maxwell. So somewhere in that 12 range. If not then I'd roll dice with Gaines and Johnson. Maybe franchise tag him if I had to

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Title is a little misleading. He didn't say he was going to hit free agency if he didn't get what he wanted, just that he didn't like the contract he received thus far and that he was going to let things play out and let his play do the talking. None of that is inherently indicative of him saying I'LL LEAVE SO HELP ME GOD other than the inherent fact that is the end result if they don't see eye to eye.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Title is a little misleading. He didn't say he was going to hit free agency if he didn't get what he wanted, just that he didn't like the contract he received thus far and that he was going to let things play out and let his play do the talking. None of that is inherently indicative of him saying I'LL LEAVE SO HELP ME GOD other than the inherent fact that is the end result if they don't see eye to eye.
Agreed - he actually DID say Fish took a chance on him which he appreciated. Really hope they work something out.
Besides, to me it's just typical negotiations - and a good thing they're already talking.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have always thought these discussions should be kept in house and when a player talks about it in the media they are crossing a line I don't personally care for. However when it comes to the media they are all for the sensationalism and will do what they can even if it means burning a source.

IMO Jenkins hasn't done enough since his first year to warrant a huge payday. Even this year being rated by some guys watching football as #16 is mediocre. He should get a decent offer but nothing over the top. If he wants to walk let him go. There are other average CBs available every year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They drafted him to develop him into an elite corner so now that he has become that, and is a threat when he gets an INT I doubt if they are going to let him just walk away.

I'm guessing that he is the top priority out of all the free agents they have.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As long as he plays his heart out, in this contract year, Let him test the market, He'll get a fare offer from the Rams!
And when we Win it all, either he'll want to be here, or we'll have a bunch of Play-makers who want to join the Champs!!:D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've said it before and will say it again: signing Jenks will be a mistake. Look at his track record... The dude finally gets it together in his contract season. What's gonna happen when he's loaded and happy? Pass man.

Rams have two starting CBs in Gaines and Joyner (slot). All they have to do is draft another guy, and with Fish their draft record on DBs is very good.