Jenkins threatens to test free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I've said it before and will say it again: signing Jenks will be a mistake. Look at his track record... The dude finally gets it together in his contract season. What's gonna happen when he's loaded and happy? Pass man.

Rams have two starting CBs in Gaines and Joyner (slot). All they have to do is draft another guy, and with Fish their draft record on DBs is very good.
Fucking conundrum.....

Athos

Legend
I've said it before and will say it again: signing Jenks will be a mistake. Look at his track record... The dude finally gets it together in his contract season. What's gonna happen when he's loaded and happy? Pass man.

Rams have two starting CBs in Gaines and Joyner (slot). All they have to do is draft another guy, and with Fish their draft record on DBs is very good.

Look. I love Gaines. But those Lisfranc injuries are always worrisome. So many guys aren't right after them. And no Jenks means a big decrease in CB depth talent.

Teams need a shutdown corner. This D does.

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO he's the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid. If he wants anything close to one of the biggest CB contracts(which he obviously does) then I'll pass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think JJ thinks he is sitting in a position of strength in his contract issue. Rams are in great shape @ one half of the secondary....Safeties. Both FA's Rod McLeod & Cody Davis are RFA's. They should both return without any major damage done to our cap. Snead also has three young talented safeties under contract in TJ McDonald, Mo Alexander & Christian Bryant.

I can see where JJ thinks the Rams will be in a position of weakness with EJ Gaines trying to return from a serious foot surgery & Trumaine Johnson injuries & degraded play as of late. Nickle-back Lamarcus Joyner has shown little improvement in his coverage skills to be able to hold down a outside corner post too. That just leaves the Rams UDFA Marcus Roberson. I would be the last ROD member to consider Roberson lightly in his CB skills as a possible starting CB in the NFL.

It would not surprise me at all if Snead does not take a good long hard look @ the 2016 CB draft class with one of his first three draft selections in rounds 1 & 2. Maybe even two corners to beef up this area. It ticks me off, that JJ would take this route so very early in the season. Makes me wonder if he has any professional integrity. This type of action should wait till the season has concluded. I consider it very questionable he returns to the Rams in 2016 if he continues with this stuff.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/CB

I will add that the season is still young and our current corners other than JJ could easily get Un tracked and begin to haul in big plays & build on some real good consistent play.

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams need guys like Jenkins, and these are free agents we want to sign. Cut Jared Cook or some others to free up the cash next year

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fine if that's the decision he made, don't see why he's yapping to the media, though.
He's not yapping to the media he was asked a question and responded it's not like he's going out his way to say he is testing the matket

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That reasoning is very flawed so you want to rely on a 1 yr started who was hurt his entire 2nd season who has little experience covering opposing teams best receivers then you want to draft a rookie corner to take his place . I just don't get it. Jenkins is going to get his contract and it's going to be with the Rams. He just wants to get paid his market value that's it

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fine if that's the decision he made, don't see why he's yapping to the media, though.
Yeah, I thought that's what they pay agents for, no?

Guys who finally become consistently good in their contract year, damn it pisses me off. Tough game for management to win at.
It's tough on both sides... the players have a limited window in which to fund their retirement and the owners have caps to deal with. Yes, difficult circumstances, for sure.

The dude finally gets it together in his contract season. What's gonna happen when he's loaded and happy?
Well, this is always the concern... and how many times have we seen a player get a nice contract and "relax". My personal opinion is he might... a guy like Donald? No. But Jenkins? He might.

Here's what I'm a little put out about... we finally have a solid defense and now we're having to deal with new contracts. The timing is terrible.

Seattle is going through it as well, but they enjoyed a few good years... we have not.

Rams will have some tough decisions to make after this season because this team is so young and was built basically all at once.. now the pay days are coming for the players all at once.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have always thought these discussions should be kept in house and when a player talks about it in the media they are crossing a line I don't personally care for. However when it comes to the media they are all for the sensationalism and will do what they can even if it means burning a source.

IMO Jenkins hasn't done enough since his first year to warrant a huge payday. Even this year being rated by some guys watching football as #16 is mediocre. He should get a decent offer but nothing over the top. If he wants to walk let him go. There are other average CBs available every year.
To me Jenkins is a much better corner than Patrick Peterson and the numbers back it up. But everyone talks about Peterson as a top 5 corner.. I just don't see it. He is good but he gets burned more than JJ and gives up more touchdowns, and he only have 1 defensive touchdown

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I thought that's what they pay agents for, no?

It's tough on both sides... the players have a limited window in which to fund their retirement and the owners have caps to deal with. Yes, difficult circumstances, for sure.

Well, this is always the concern... and how many times have we seen a player get a nice contract and "relax". My personal opinion is he might... a guy like Donald? No. But Jenkins? He might.

Here's what I'm a little put out about... we finally have a solid defense and now we're having to deal with new contracts. The timing is terrible.

Seattle is going through it as well, but they enjoyed a few good years... we have not.

Rams will have some tough decisions to make after this season because this team is so young and was built basically all at once.. now the pay days are coming for the players all at once.
I honestly think we are in a much better position cap wise than many think. With the expected rise in the salary cap and some moving around money I think we can resign all our defensive players.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he should get paid below Patrick Peterson, above Byron maxwell. So somewhere in that 12 range. If not then I'd roll dice with Gaines and Johnson. Maybe franchise tag him if I had to
Honestly JJ numbers are better than Patrick Peterson

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO he's the type of player that will slack off once he gets paid. If he wants anything close to one of the biggest CB contracts(which he obviously does) then I'll pass.
I don't see it that way at all. Everyone raves about this guy's work ethic and how serious he takes his job. He wants to be the best and getting paid is not going to stop him from wanting that. When you have 2 of the top 5 corners in your same division that's his motivation. People have been making assumption about this kid since he came into the league. But he hasn't had any problems so until those problems arise I'm not betting against him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

The league requires players to talk to the media. He was answering a specific question. I suppose he could (and maybe should) have just gone with 'no comment' but the league puts these guys in a tough spot by forcing them to be available for questions.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think they pay him, get Gaines back and put Joyner in the slot let Tru walk unless he takes team friendly deal - even though Tru is a talented good corner, you've got to get the cap room from somewhere. Draft a young guy to come in and compete.

A55VA6

Legend
I understand that we have a lot of guys to re-sign... but please pay the man. He's played REALLY well this year and the last thing we need is to lose a guy like Jenkins. What if Gaines was just one of those rookie "sparks" that end up not being what we thought? And we would still have to sign Tru. Could be an issue..

Get it done, Rams.