Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL billed this as the dress rehearsal for the season, or the most like a regular season game...that's is why I am taking it more seriously. I didn't necessarily need to see our QB throw for 250 yards and two 2 TDs, I just wanted to see smart decisions. If you feel that what you saw Goff do was smart, then we'll have to differ on this...

I want the kid to succeed...just sayin'

Yep. We differ. I thought Goff made two very inaccurate throws after the fumble. However, his decisions and reads were smart and correct. His first four passes were perfect reads. His fifth pass was a throwaway. It appeared to be the right decision to me. The sixth pass was the fumble. I don't know where he planned to go with the ball, but Hav didn't give him a chance. His seventh pass was the INT. It was a bad throw, but the right read (Watkins was open on the dig).

His eighth pass was a quick out. He airmailed it past Higbee, but the play was there. I think it was an inaccurate ball, but I couldn't tell if there was some sort of miscommunication or timing issue. His ninth pass was the play where he got clocked. He checked down to Woods. It was a safe throw.

I didn't see any bad reads tonight from Goff. That would have concerned me much more than the duck he threw.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree the same way he didn't let Goff throw for 8 straight plays, he didn't like Goff posture that last throw to Higbee was evident that he was checked out mentally

Why would he have Goff throw it when the second-team OL is in and the Chargers aren't stopping the run?

Y'all are assuming the worst.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would he have Goff throw it when the second-team OL is in and the Chargers aren't stopping the run?

Y'all are assuming the worst.
Naw I'm not assuming anything I don't care about preseason performances even last year when he was worse, the thing is people can't have it both ways just last week he was on his way to the hall of fame

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL billed this as the dress rehearsal for the season, or the most like a regular season game...that's is why I am taking it more seriously. I didn't necessarily need to see our QB throw for 250 yards and two 2 TDs, I just wanted to see smart decisions. If you feel that what you saw Goff do was smart, then we'll have to differ on this...

This dress rehearsal stuff is way over blown. If it was supposed to be, the Rams didnt get the memo. No Austin, Kupp or Gurley?? No targets for Watkins? Dont even get me started on the defense inactives.
Goff threw 1 bad pass. Really get blown way out of proportion

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There's the key .... the NFL bills it as the dress rehearsal

Brady lost his key target in thier dress rehearsal for the year ....and a ton of key players have gone down ... other than Easley and Hemingway (touch wood) the Rams have been unscathed so far ....

It's a meaningless pre season game ... fishers staff cared about pre season because they are the only games they knew they would win

I think mcvay and co know where this team is at ... and protecting our starters

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Naw I'm not assuming anything I don't care about preseason performances even last year when he was worse, the thing is people can't have it both ways just last week he was on his way to the hall of fame
Well, he was...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I would agree except that the coaches already ceded the fact that this was anything but a dress rehearsal by playing the players they did. Goff got some work in and this was apparently just a scrimmage to the coaches. As a fan - I'm pissed about that. But I'm not really going to take much from it either. Hell. Even the players had to be realistic as to what this was.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree the same way he didn't let Goff throw for 8 straight plays, he didn't like Goff posture that last throw to Higbee was evident that he was checked out mentally

Or his hand was banged up
Or he wanted to see the run game because we were chewing up yardage why stop ?
Or he didn't trust the 2nds against the chargers first D to keep Goff upright and healthy

Scirca

Rookie
Yep. We differ. I thought Goff made two very inaccurate throws after the fumble. However, his decisions and reads were smart and correct. His first four passes were perfect reads. His fifth pass was a throwaway. It appeared to be the right decision to me. The sixth pass was the fumble. I don't know where he planned to go with the ball, but Hav didn't give him a chance. His seventh pass was the INT. It was a bad throw, but the right read (Watkins was open on the dig).

His eighth pass was a quick out. He airmailed it past Higbee, but the play was there. I think it was an inaccurate ball, but I couldn't tell if there was some sort of miscommunication or timing issue. His ninth pass was the play where he got clocked. He checked down to Woods. It was a safe throw.

I didn't see any bad reads tonight from Goff. That would have concerned me much more than the duck he threw.

Stop living in a fairy tale. He still has decisiveness issues and hesitation issues. Not to mention, throws too many wobbly balls.
file.php

file.php

bluecoconuts

Legend
After watching all off Goff's plays, I'm not worried about him. The interception is the biggest concern, because that's not the first time I've seen Goff fail to throw a good spiral. I don't know if it's a hand issue or a release issue, but hopefully that's something that McVay can coach out of him overtime. There's still a lot of growing for Goff to do, I'm not worried about it at all because I trust the coaching staff. I think there was a miscommunication on the route as well, hopefully they'll explain it some time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's the key .... the NFL bills it as the dress rehearsal

Brady lost his key target in thier dress rehearsal for the year ....and a ton of key players have gone down ... other than Easley and Hemingway (touch wood) the Rams have been unscathed so far ....

It's a meaningless pre season game ... fishers staff cared about pre season because they are the only games they knew they would win

I think mcvay and co know where this team is at ... and protecting our starters
i never cared about winning in preseason, which is why I could care less if our second stringers almost came back to "win."...I care about our #1's making smart decisions while on the field. Two turnovers by our starters in as many series, resulting in points by your enemy..is a killer. I don't care if it's preseason, you don't play that way in practice or in real games....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Forgot about Goff vs Wentz.

I could give a flyin F about Carson Wentz. Fans that want to gnash their teeth about whether the Rams picked wrong can go down that rabbit hole all they want but I'm not going there. All that matters to me is how Jared matures and plays.

True. He did a good job evading on that play, but it's not the 10 plays you do right, it's the catastrophic play that results in a defensive TD. I've seen good QB's give up a fumble with a blindside hit, but then just as often clutch the ball, protecting from a fumble....With Goff? It's seems more often than not that he's going to fumble it in the same situation. Then he throws a duck in the next series that gets intercepted...that's just plain flailing by a QB...jmho.

I think it's fine to be concerned right now. As I mentioned, I AM concerned. This was an important game in terms of it being the dress rehearsal preseason game and the Rams as a whole got beat with the starters in. But saying "more often than not" that he's going to fumble it is an overreaction.

Just trying to keep it centered in the conversation. I think that's important when we're talking about our young QB, as we're going to see a metric @$$ ton of hyperbole this week relating to him now and it's nice to at least be able to discuss what he did right/wrong here without all that.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Meh, curious to see how he performs vs the Colts when the entire first team will be in all 4 quarters barring injuries. Will say that I'm concerned about his development as an NFL QB when he doesn't have reliable weapons. So far, he's proven to be a damn good quarterback when the pieces are complementing him; and a bad one when he has a questionable supporting cast. What will separate him from that bad rep is when he can at least contribute in bad circumstances.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Just like we shouldn't cream our pants when Goff has a good preseason game, we shouldn't crap them if he has an off game.
I'll let that visual marinate for a while.
Please no marination ;)

Ya, I agree---tonight changes nothing..tonight the strip sack wasn't good...but the interception is a bad throw...so what, All QBs do it..."oh my, Jared looks scared"....ya right, did you watch him get pummeled in college? He always answered the bell...puhleaze.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Yeah hopefully not. And I'd have to think McVay would have pulled him for anything injury-related in preseason even game 3.

What I'm hoping is McVay didn't trust the protections. But still it's a concern.

I'll take it one step further, didn't trust the protection BUT wanted him to work on lining up behind the centre for the snaps in live fire. Just thinking out loud here

JRobinson

MiLB
I'm with jrry32 on this one. Goff needs to feel the pressure on the strip sack, he will learn. Havenstein just got beat by the speed of Bosa, the motor kept going; the turnover happened. Tip your cap on a good play by another paid professional although, it may be hard for some of you to do. Does anyone think that Rob doesn't know he screwed up?

The ball to Sammy was obviously just a bad ball. Good read, didn't step into it, got picked off; period. Watch Goff's presser, he even admits that it was just a poorly thrown ball, that's going to happen. Goff will never be perfect, matter of a fact, who has a 158 QB rating? (Crickets)

If anyone fails to see the improvements by the entire offense, including Goff, you're just being oblivious. And yes, it's still pre-season, get pissed in the regular season, because we all will at some point.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could give a flyin F about Carson Wentz. Fans that want to gnash their teeth about whether the Rams picked wrong can go down that rabbit hole all they want but I'm not going there. All that matters to me is how Jared matures and plays.

I think it's fine to be concerned right now. As I mentioned, I AM concerned. This was an important game in terms of it being the dress rehearsal preseason game and the Rams as a whole got beat with the starters in. But saying "more often than not" that he's going to fumble it is an overreaction.

Just trying to keep it centered in the conversation. I think that's important when we're talking about our young QB, as we're going to see a metric @$$ ton of hyperbole this week relating to him now and it's nice to at least be able to discuss what he did right/wrong here without all that.

It doesn't distress you that he looks absolutely helpless/hapless in the fumble(s)? Last week he looked darn good when the pocket was kept clean, so we see what he can do when things are more perfect in the pocket for him (maybe in the 1st half of the New Orleans game as well last year?). I am relating a gut reaction to what I am seeing, and it distresses the fark out of me when he reacts to a bad play, with an INT the next series!. He has the elusive move in the pocket that looked good tonight and I need to sleep on this performance an rewatch the game tomorrow when I have the enough drinks in me.....