Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It doesn't distress you that he looks absolutely helpless/hapless in the fumble(s)? Last week he looked darn good when the pocket was kept clean, so we see what he can do when things are more perfect in the pocket for him (maybe in the 1st half of the New Orleans game as well last year?). I am relating a gut reaction to what I am seeing, and it distresses the fark out of me when he reacts to a bad play, with an INT the next series!. He has the elusive move in the pocket that looked good tonight and I need to sleep on this performance an rewatch the game tomorrow when I have the enough drinks in me.....

I think it's a mixed bag man. I wanted to see him get out there and put up a couple TDs then sit the pine and I could feel good about things. But of course nothing's that easy for the Rams' faithful. The INT did shake me up a bit, and I think it shook up McVay as well as demonstrated by the playcalling thereafter.

But that said $#!t does happen. And we do have the right guy running this offense to help it get right. So trying to find that common sense ground in the middle on this, where I'm not expecting too much from the kid. I think to say I'm concerned is about as good as I can do there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Borrowed courtesy of Blue and Gold from another site:

file.php

addon.php

Definitely missed an open Woods there for what would have been a TD.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. He did a good job evading on that play, but it's not the 10 plays you do right, it's the catastrophic play that results in a defensive TD. I've seen good QB's give up a fumble with a blindside hit, but then just as often clutch the ball, protecting from a fumble....With Goff? It's seems more often than not that he's going to fumble it in the same situation. Then he throws a duck in the next series that gets intercepted...that's just plain flailing by a QB...jmho.

How could he clutch the ball, he was in the process of throwing it. Another half a second and the ball was away to the receiver. He got hit within 3 seconds.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if he was pressing and screwed up with that INT, or just threw it up hoping for a miracle..

Pressing? Hoping for a miracle? Watkins was wide open. The ball looked like it slipped out of his hand during the throwing motion.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Unless you can deliver McVay a time machine, it's worthless conversation.

Goff is 2 years younger and it looks like this is the first pro level coaching he's received.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
After looking at the replay a few times, I put the fumble more on Havenstein than Goff--it happened very quickly. Then our 2nd team D never pressured Rivers, and the game got away from us. Then Goff tried to get it all back and made an awful decision, which he'll learn from. He said afterwards he felt someone bearing down on him (correctly) on the play.

After that the 2nd/3rd teamers showed a lot of grit and scored 19 unanswered points. Lastly Coons and Orlovsky trashed the win (I love McVay, but it's hard to imagine almost anyone wouldn't be lightyears better than Orlovsky, just wow).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Or McVay could have decided that he wasn't risking his starters after seeing all the injuries this week.

McVay did things exactly the way he did them last week. He pulled the first-team OL (except for Hav) right before Goff's final series.

As for Goff's lack of awareness, he didn't lack awareness when he evaded the pass rush earlier in the drive. crap happens. I've seen every QB in the NFL get caught like that. I don't even know what people are talking about when they say Goff was holding it forever. Hav got beat immediately. Goff had barely come out of his drop, and Bosa stripped it out right as he took his hand off to throw the ball. People are overreacting. Here's a video of the play:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTCCEiAsSdg

Sorry, but Goff has to feel/see that coming. I have mentioned It before that he seems slow in everything he does. I still like him, but that is always going to be a concern of mine. His clock has to get right or he will be meat.

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I don't like how they seem to be handling Goff with kid gloves. I saw some improvement from him tonight, but I think they are playing it too conservative with him.
Agreed. I think you keep Goff in there until he picks back up and plays like he needs to, then pull him. Pulling him when he starts to fail doesn't do anything for his psyche. Then again, McVay is a coach and I'm just a dude commenting on a board.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This is the thing. You're not alone in this, but it's certainly far from unanimous.
Once we moved up to #1 in the draft, I started watching games from both QB's. For me, it didn't take long for Goff to pull ahead. Again, that's just me, but I definitely didn't see anything from Wentz that made him look better in every aspect of the game. In fact. I thought Goff was far and away the better prospect.
That said. I would have been happy with either.

Thats where I was leading up to the draft. Once I knew we were getting one of them I started watching a lot of film on them. I was a Wentz guy at first look. Then I started to think Goff might be the better option long term.

The one thing I came away with was, Wentz was a runner with a good arm. Goff was a passer who could run at times. Most times the guy who looks to pass when protection breaks down turns out to be the better quarterback.

It seemed like when it came time to improvise Wentz tucked it and ran. Goff scrambled and looked to pass it. That was the biggest difference I saw between the two. Some people like the runner. Some like the passer. Six of one half dozen of the other. Me, I'll take the passer every time. Those are the guys who win superbowls.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
10-6, playoffs this year. Gurley 1,300 yards rushing, 750 yards receiving. Book it. (y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Here's hoping that McVay can work wonders
He has...the offense looks wonderful...the first drive was going well...then shit happens.

I don't think you can blame Goff for the fumble, imo.
Not entirely...Havenstein....and Brown...it's either one or the other...fucking up...not a lot...but just enough to help us lose. Havenstein and Brown need to go.

But Goff has to see that, feel that...and hold onto the ball..That's losing the game type shit right there. And one thing he did at Cal, was lose the big games....see, winning matters.

Does anyone think maybe Goff took a whack on his hand
Small ass hands...see, combine stuff matters....that wobbly throw too...

and some of his shit is mental....like...deer in headlights...game is getting to big...I want my mommie type shit...

Surfer boy....sun sets in west type shit....

The big miss was Woods at the 3 as he looked right past him as he was committed to Higbee.
Didn't see it.....I was so pissed....dudes were teasing me...but I wouldn't doubt it...

And him and Higbee....Higbee....I'm finished with him too. And that's your favorite target with Kupp missing??? Really...???

My biggest concern is that Sammy Watkins didnt even get targeted 1 time. And Woods only 2 targets.
Never understood why he doesn't target the BEST players out there....I had a similar issue with him last year looking for Tavon, while Britt and Quick were winning games...matchups...moving the chains....and Higbee is his favorite target now:thinking:...Hey, the ball was moving...until

Last week he looked darn good when the pocket was kept clean, so we see what he can do when things are more perfect in the pocket for him
Yeah....to me, this is a bad sign....it should be easy to complete passes with no rush...perfect pocket...but the NFL rarely has a perfect pocket...rarely will you play a game and not get touched...especially if Havenstien and Brown are in front of you...What happens then??? Fumbles....and that terrible int??? If so....who can win with that?:thinking:

Wentz's is in another league....dude reminds me of Winston, Dak, Wilson, Marriota....young QB going somewhere...
Goff looking like...Geno...Sanchez...just doesn't wanna keep the success ball moving in the right way....is it his fault? Not entirely....Brown and Havenstein need to go:puke:....Higbee needs the bench....
and I'm not hating on Malcolm Brown...but that's not the backup RB we need out there...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
We are witnessing Goff's "growing pains". He's progressing, reading d's better and managing the offense better. He's moving the ball. Sure he should have a better grip on the fumble play, but that play was on Havenstien, who let his guy run straight into Goff, who never saw him coming.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Goff was playing without his #1 WR target and his #1 RB. Then they pulled the oline. I dont know why they even left him in that long.
My biggest concern is that Sammy Watkins didnt even get targeted 1 time. And Woods only 2 targets. With Kupp out I thought for sure they'd light it up

That's my issue also. Why would the coaches leave Goff in there to get his confidence rattled after pulling everyone he's likely to be playing with? I'm concerned that essentially none of the defensive starters have played much together, and that the real expected starting offense hasn't played much together. How do you build timing with the receivers that way? I'm getting worried that the first 4 regular season games are simply going to be an extended training camp where all the pieces try to get on the same page.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Honestly, I think we all knew there would be games like this. Goff is going to be a work in progress for a while. I never expected a breakout this soon. For now, I'm more concerned with the defense. If Donald continues his holdout into the season we're going to be very thin on the line. We saw what the backups looked like last night. I felt early on if we were going to compete in the west it would be on the backs of the defense. Right now there are concerns there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my issue also. Why would the coaches leave Goff in there to get his confidence rattled after pulling everyone he's likely to be playing with? I'm concerned that essentially none of the defensive starters have played much together, and that the real expected starting offense hasn't played much together. How do you build timing with the receivers that way? I'm getting worried that the first 4 regular season games are simply going to be an extended training camp where all the pieces try to get on the same page.
Goff is 22 and is basically re-booting his rookie year.
What we seem to forget is that his coach is so wicked young and inexperienced, he is going to have growing pains too. It's not like McVay has experience with this stuff either....

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Unless you can deliver McVay a time machine, it's worthless conversation.

Goff is 2 years younger and it looks like this is the first pro level coaching he's received.

That's because IT IS the first pro level coaching he's received.

fearsomefour

Legend
I live in South Florida and not only watched the Eagle Dolphin game Thursday night but listened to the buzz all week about how great Wentz looked during the joint practices.
The word was the ball never hit the ground and then he looked very good in the game.

Then I watch tonight and can't help but wonder what could have been. This is on Fisher to me and now it's up to McVay to make Goff better. Don't want to hear about his age or the line, the bottom line was Wentz looked better in every aspect leading up to the draft and Fisher blew it big time.

Here's hoping that McVay can work wonders and this isn't another long season.
Saying you don't want to hear about his age and the line is saying you don't want to hear about facts.
Ok.
It could very well be another long year for reason beyond Goff.

Ramzheart

Rookie
To be fair, McVay could have decided that nothing more could be gained by the 1st stringers being in there for a shaken QB...The game was meaningless, except that Goff looked like the guy who didn't belong in the NFL last year. I am utterly concerned with Goff's lack of awareness, and seems that whenever he gets hit he might cough up the football..We can't win with a guy that does that.
Ball security can be taught

fearsomefour

Legend
I would agree except that the coaches already ceded the fact that this was anything but a dress rehearsal by playing the players they did. Goff got some work in and this was apparently just a scrimmage to the coaches. As a fan - I'm ticked about that. But I'm not really going to take much from it either. Hell. Even the players had to be realistic as to what this was.
I hear ya.
As a fan I don't care about preseason at all.
Plenty of teams go 0-4 and have good years and not plenty of bad teams go 4-0 or 3-1.
I would much rather have the coaches work on what they want than worry about winning games that don't matter.