Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It seems to many people were in this thread complaining about Goff and they missed his interview during the 2nd half. He didnt look like he had lost any confidence or was down and out after 2 bad plays and him getting to join the rest of the starters on the sideline. Goff will have good games like last week and some bad ones like tonight, remember the guys on the other team are NFL players earning a paycheck also.

McVay and the rest of the team all have confidence in Goff and know what kind of leader he is. His old college teammates also know what kind of leader he is and how he turned around a losing team then, just like he will this team.

EasyE

Starter
I agree to an extent with that. After that hit and fumble McVay went with like 8 runs in a row or whatever, which could be construed the way you pointed out. As a matter of fact I said to myself on that next drive that McVay would immediately let him make some high percentage throws and get back into the flow of things. But instead McVay pointedly did not do that, going with all runs thereafter.

Which brings me to the scary version: that McVay didn't trust putting the ball right back in Jared's hands there. Right now, for myself, that is a very bad indicator. He purposely ate the clock up there and then stuck Mannion in. Not good dudes. Not good at all for us in a game that was our dress rehearsal for the season.

Goff has GOT to get that clock in his head....he just cant hold it that long...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Heard the leadership thing with Bradford and Bulger. Without being in the huddle, locker room, in the meetings with these guys, how can you know if someone is a leader. Not everybody is fiery. That's a fan critique I've never gotten.

They always do... There were Kings fans for years questioning Dustin Brown's leadership, saying he was bad because he wasn't someone screaming on the bench, said he couldn't lead the team at all.... Then he lead them to two Stanley Cups in three years. There are many different kinds of leaders.

bnw

Pro Bowler
They always do... There were Kings fans for years questioning Dustin Brown's leadership, saying he was bad because he wasn't someone screaming on the bench, said he couldn't lead the team at all.... Then he lead them to two Stanley Cups in three years. There are many different kinds of leaders.
True. Roger Staubach always kept an even keel.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wentz is almost perfect for a Fisher offense.... But I don't want a Fisher offense and Wentz isn't McNair.

Rambo

UDFA
The pass that went high and was intercepted looked like it partially slipped out of his hand. Other than the INT he played good. The fumble wasn't his fault.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wentz is almost perfect for a Fisher offense.... But I don't want a Fisher offense and Wentz isn't McNair.
That was my vision leading into the draft as well.
A QB who didn't have to throw all that often.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Goff just can't win with some people.

That may well be, but Goff's results and statistics speak for themselves. He has a long way to go, IMO.....to give up what they did for someone where he is (is) criminal. I don't know about the rest, but I don't want to wait another 10 years for a winner......or even 2 or 3 for that matter.

This team needs a starting QB "now" and that's a fact.................

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That may well be, but Goff's results and statistics speak for themselves. He has a long way to go, IMO.....to give up what they did for someone where he is (is) criminal. I don't know about the rest, but I don't want to wait another 10 years for a winner......or even 2 or 3 for that matter.

This team needs a starting QB "now" and that's a fact.................

This teams has a starting QB now, and that's a fact.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The pass that went high and was intercepted looked like it partially slipped out of his hand. Other than the INT he played good. The fumble wasn't his fault.
That one bad pass seems to have defined his night.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That one bad pass seems to have defined his night.

Yea, I understand why people are disappointed after tonight, but I don't think it was a disaster. That one pass was a disaster, but from my vantage point, Goff made the right read on every throw. He had two inaccurate throws. One resulted in a pick. It looked like the ball came out wrong. The fumble sucks. Goff has to work on protecting it better, but it was also a great play by an elite DE and a bad play by our RT.

Frankly, I think Goff making the right reads is more promising than one awful duck is concerning. But that's just my opinion.

Also, that first completion to Woods was a thing of beauty. Goff went all the way across the field with his reads and found Woods with accuracy and precise timing.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I understand why people are disappointed after tonight, but I don't think it was a disaster. That one pass was a disaster, but from my vantage point, Goff made the right read on every throw. He had two inaccurate throws. One resulted in a pick. It looked like the ball came out wrong. The fumble sucks. Goff has to work on protecting it better, but it was also a great play by an elite DE and a bad play by our RT.

Frankly, I think Goff making the right reads is more promising than one awful duck is concerning. But that's just my opinion.

Also, that first completion to Woods was a thing of beauty. Goff went all the way across the field with his reads and found Woods with accuracy and precise timing.
Exactly I feel like preseason is a good way for Qb to figure out their limits in a real game situation, the problem is when people get their opinions to high or too low during preseason, I'm more disappointed in McVay for not sending him back out there. You can't baby him in the regular season when his confidence start wavering he has to be able to battle out of it

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fumble is his fault the sack isn't, that's a reoccurring problem with Goff losing fumbles on sacks that's definitely something he has to get better at

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I live in South Florida and not only watched the Eagle Dolphin game Thursday night but listened to the buzz all week about how great Wentz looked during the joint practices.
The word was the ball never hit the ground and then he looked very good in the game.

Then I watch tonight and can't help but wonder what could have been. This is on Fisher to me and now it's up to McVay to make Goff better. Don't want to hear about his age or the line, the bottom line was Wentz looked better in every aspect leading up to the draft and Fisher blew it big time.

Here's hoping that McVay can work wonders and this isn't another long season.
This is the thing. You're not alone in this, but it's certainly far from unanimous.
Once we moved up to #1 in the draft, I started watching games from both QB's. For me, it didn't take long for Goff to pull ahead. Again, that's just me, but I definitely didn't see anything from Wentz that made him look better in every aspect of the game. In fact. I thought Goff was far and away the better prospect.
That said. I would have been happy with either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly I feel like preseason is a good way for Qb to figure out their limits in a real game situation, the problem is when people get their opinions to high or too low during preseason, I'm more disappointed in McVay for not sending him back out there. You can't baby him in the regular season when his confidence start wavering he has to be able to battle out of it

Eh, Rivers left the game around the same time as Goff. I don't think it has anything to do with McVay not wanting to send Goff out there. I think that was just the number of drives they planned to give him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, Rivers left the game around the same time as Goff. I don't think it has anything to do with McVay not wanting to send Goff out there. I think that was just the number of drives they planned to give him.
Idk Goff played more last game and McVay talked all week about them getting more work in

WestCoastRam

Legend
So I've had high highs with Goff this preseason and low lows. So... I'm kinda back where I started with him.
Worried about him but no way I can make a judgement call without a full season under his belt. (10 odd games plus his rookie year).

bdfitz

UDFA
Forgot about Goff vs Wentz. Don't be shocked if Mannion is the guy week one. If Goff does not play next week, I'm talking scratched like Gurley today, Goff will be under center against the Colts and it's his job to lose. IF, however, Goff plays and plays poorly McVay could shock the fan base by starting Mannion. Mannion has been consistent. He had one bad game last preseason and could not score against the Cowboys but his extended play over 2+ quarters against the Raiders and Chargers was consistent, the thing McVay and any sane coach is seeking. I'm still pulling for Goff but I can't cut him any slack for the Chargers game. He completely missed Brown for a big gainer, Woods at the 3 yard line and whomever the hell he was throwing to on the INT. Looked like the Dallas DB. The fumble was classic Goff circa 2016. Not his blind side. A QB has to feel that and he never had a clue. He's carrrying McVay's entire career in his hands. If Mannion can spread it around and NOT turn it over......like I said, if Goff plays next week, it ain't a good sign.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk Goff played more last game and McVay talked all week about them getting more work in

The first-team OL left the field before Goff's last series. It was clear that McVay decided the starters weren't staying in much longer.