Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
These Wentz vs Goff threads really need to be banned by now. It's repetitive garbage that's been debated to death.
We'll keep it in mind. Not sure we're ready to ban the subject but yeah - they get old.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We'll keep it in mind. Not sure we're ready to ban the subject but yeah - they get old.
HaB7fRK9SCKUwakRFyYGbQ.jpeg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't like how they seem to be handling Goff with kid gloves. I saw some improvement from him tonight, but I think they are playing it too conservative with him.

I agree to an extent with that. After that hit and fumble McVay went with like 8 runs in a row or whatever, which could be construed the way you pointed out. As a matter of fact I said to myself on that next drive that McVay would immediately let him make some high percentage throws and get back into the flow of things. But instead McVay pointedly did not do that, going with all runs thereafter.

Which brings me to the scary version: that McVay didn't trust putting the ball right back in Jared's hands there. Right now, for myself, that is a very bad indicator. He purposely ate the clock up there and then stuck Mannion in. Not good dudes. Not good at all for us in a game that was our dress rehearsal for the season.

Psycho_X

Legend
Goff looked awesome at first, was viewing the field and going through his priorities well. Threw some nice balls and moved the ball. Then he got hit hard from the opposite direction that he was looking. Obviously effected him after that for whatever reason.

Point being, he has skills and he seems to have grasped the offense. Just needs experience and better oline play at this point. I won't say experience will solve all his issues because time will only tell that. But I see no reason to be hating on Goff... yet.

FRO

Legend
Goff looked awesome at first, was viewing the field and going through his priorities well. Threw some nice balls and moved the ball. Then he got hit hard from the opposite direction that he was looking. Obviously effected him after that for whatever reason.

Point being, he has skills and he seems to have grasped the offense. Just needs experience and better oline play at this point. I won't say experience will solve all his issues because time will only tell that. But I see no reason to be hating on Goff... yet.
I totally agree. He does need to show improvement over last season. If he has a mediocre year this year they may be looking to replace him. The pressure on him is huge. I really like his talent, I just feel like he needs to be developed.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
Goff is two years younger. Also played real good vs the Raiders. Edit, Also Goff played less games, ah can't wait to see Goff show what hes made of.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Only person I've seen "hate on Goff" here is Kowalski.

Fact is that playing QB in this league requires toughness. Jared seemed to have that block checked given what he went through at Cal. But when he comes in for our dress rehearsal for the season and puts up a duck after taking a hit/fumble off the right side of the line, and then the coach on the next possession calls 8 runs in a row and brings in the backup QB before the end of the second half, there's a meaning in there somewhere.

It is worth discussing.

Ramon Ram

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These Wentz vs Goff threads really need to be banned by now. It's repetitive garbage that's been debated to death.

I hear ya Jack but I just don't see the leadership, intensity, fire, arm strength, mobility and on and on.

But I promise to let it go for the rest of the year I just couldn't help myself after getting jacked up for the game tonight. Many variables like no Gurley etc.

Just frustrated after watching Wentz again. Have I said how much I hate Fisher?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone think maybe Goff took a whack on his hand ... twisted a finger or something

Maybe that's why they went with 8 runs coulda been why he threw that dead bird up ... couldn't grip it or something ????

Psycho_X

Legend
It is worth discussing.

Absolutely, no problem with that. I'm kind of curious about the way McVay handled this whole game and particularly Goff and why. But it's preseason and McVay is a rookie at this too. So there will be growing pains at times. Hopefully they fix enough of it by week 1.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Not good at all for us in a game that was our dress rehearsal for the season.

Considering they started 8 backups on defense and none in the front seven, I'm not so sure they considered this game a dress rehearsal for the season. If it really was a dress rehearsal, I would think Goff would have gotten more time to rebound from couple bad plays.

Its interesting how many people take a "sky is falling" stance with a poor preseason start. Probably the same ones who proclaimed we have arrived after a good game last week. Fans, ya gotta love em. :cool:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its interesting how many people take a "sky is falling" stance with a poor preseason start. Probably the same ones who proclaimed we have arrived after a good game last week. Fans, ya gotta love em. :cool:

What's interesting to myself is how attempting to discuss concerns over a dress rehearsal third game result means one is acting like a chicken little.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Does anyone think maybe Goff took a whack on his hand ... twisted a finger or something

Maybe that's why they went with 8 runs coulda been why he threw that dead bird up ... couldn't grip it or something ????
That's what I was thinking. Maybe a broken finger. Hopefully not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what I was thinking. Maybe a broken finger. Hopefully not.

Yeah hopefully not. And I'd have to think McVay would have pulled him for anything injury-related in preseason even game 3.

What I'm hoping is McVay didn't trust the protections. But still it's a concern.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree to an extent with that. After that hit and fumble McVay went with like 8 runs in a row or whatever, which could be construed the way you pointed out. As a matter of fact I said to myself on that next drive that McVay would immediately let him make some high percentage throws and get back into the flow of things. But instead McVay pointedly did not do that, going with all runs thereafter.

Which brings me to the scary version: that McVay didn't trust putting the ball right back in Jared's hands there. Right now, for myself, that is a very bad indicator. He purposely ate the clock up there and then stuck Mannion in. Not good dudes. Not good at all for us in a game that was our dress rehearsal for the season.

I'll throw out an alternative theory: McVay didn't want to go pass-heavy behind the second-team OL with Goff.

FRO

Legend
Goff just can't win with some people.
Heard the leadership thing with Bradford and Bulger. Without being in the huddle, locker room, in the meetings with these guys, how can you know if someone is a leader. Not everybody is fiery. That's a fan critique I've never gotten.