Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The first-team OL left the field before Goff's last series. It was clear that McVay decided the starters weren't staying in much longer.

To be fair, McVay could have decided that nothing more could be gained by the 1st stringers being in there for a shaken QB...The game was meaningless, except that Goff looked like the guy who didn't belong in the NFL last year. I am utterly concerned with Goff's lack of awareness, and seems that whenever he gets hit he might cough up the football..We can't win with a guy that does that.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think the season ending injuries these past 2 weeks have all NFL HCs playing their starters less than they have in previous preseasons

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, McVay could have decided that nothing more could be gained by the 1st stringers being in there for a shaken QB...The game was meaningless, except that Goff looked like the guy who didn't belong in the NFL last year. I am utterly concerned with Goff's lack of awareness, and seems that whenever he gets hit he might cough up the football..We can't win with a guy that does that.

Or McVay could have decided that he wasn't risking his starters after seeing all the injuries this week.

McVay did things exactly the way he did them last week. He pulled the first-team OL (except for Hav) right before Goff's final series.

As for Goff's lack of awareness, he didn't lack awareness when he evaded the pass rush earlier in the drive. Shit happens. I've seen every QB in the NFL get caught like that. I don't even know what people are talking about when they say Goff was holding it forever. Hav got beat immediately. Goff had barely come out of his drop, and Bosa stripped it out right as he took his hand off to throw the ball. People are overreacting. Here's a video of the play:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTCCEiAsSdg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think the season ending injuries these past 2 weeks have all NFL HCs playing their starters less than they have in previous preseasons

Yeah, as soon as Hemmingway went down, I was prepared (hoping) to see all the 1'st stringers come off the field. Thought the Chargers were throwing some cheap shots as the game evolved.
Time to cut pre-season games down to 2. jmo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or McVay could have decided that he wasn't risking his starters after seeing all the injuries this week.

McVay did things exactly the way he did them last week. He pulled the first-team OL (except for Hav) right before Goff's final series.

As for Goff's lack of awareness, he didn't lack awareness when he evaded the pass rush earlier in the drive. crap happens. I've seen every QB in the NFL get caught like that. I don't even know what people are talking about when they say Goff was holding it forever. Hav got beat immediately. Goff had barely come out of his drop, and Bosa stripped it out right as he took his hand off to throw the ball. People are overreacting. Here's a video of the play:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTCCEiAsSdg

True. He did a good job evading on that play, but it's not the 10 plays you do right, it's the catastrophic play that results in a defensive TD. I've seen good QB's give up a fumble with a blindside hit, but then just as often clutch the ball, protecting from a fumble....With Goff? It's seems more often than not that he's going to fumble it in the same situation. Then he throws a duck in the next series that gets intercepted...that's just plain flailing by a QB...jmho.

Ramon Ram

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forgot about Goff vs Wentz. Don't be shocked if Mannion is the guy week one. If Goff does not play next week, I'm talking scratched like Gurley today, Goff will be under center against the Colts and it's his job to lose. IF, however, Goff plays and plays poorly McVay could shock the fan base by starting Mannion. Mannion has been consistent. He had one bad game last preseason and could not score against the Cowboys but his extended play over 2+ quarters against the Raiders and Chargers was consistent, the thing McVay and any sane coach is seeking. I'm still pulling for Goff but I can't cut him any slack for the Chargers game. He completely missed Brown for a big gainer, Woods at the 3 yard line and whomever the hell he was throwing to on the INT. Looked like the Dallas DB. The fumble was classic Goff circa 2016. Not his blind side. A QB has to feel that and he never had a clue. He's carrrying McVay's entire career in his hands. If Mannion can spread it around and NOT turn it over......like I said, if Goff plays next week, it ain't a good sign.

The big miss was Woods at the 3 as he looked right past him as he was committed to Higbee. They will review that in film study and hopefully those plays will be eliminated. I agree that Mannion has played his way into the conversation should Goff stumble out of the gate. I hope Goff is the long term answer and McVay will figure that out quickly with Cousins looming.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Goff took a shot last week without fumbling and he escaped pressure a couple times tonight and some last week also. He is improving, not everyone starts their carreer playing like Tom Brady, Goff is young and still growing. By the time he is 24 yrs old he will have 3 years NFL experience to go along with his 3 yrs of div1 college ball. I know many people think he should have been lights out from day 1 because he was the #1 pick, but I think Snead/Fisher whoever was responsible for going after Goff was also looking to the future. Few if any QBs come into the NFL and turn around a franchise in 1 season, especially at 21 yrs old. I want the Rams to win now just like everyone else here, but there was not a QB in the draft last year that was gonna do that with this team, so why not go for the guy that has the most upside and has shown resiliency after a 1-11 freshman season to turn around a college program that was probably about as bad as the Rams have been recently.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Hey guys

My take in fairness I do agree with pretty much everyone especially Ukram not only is it technically his rookie year and he has to learn a new system in addition he has to get out of all the crap teachings/habits and lack of knowledge mustache face, dopey boras, and wenke instilled in him ruining what should of been his learning curve is now going to occur this season along with breaking some of his own bad habits old regime set him back a year or possibly a career not to mention if you swap out Goff and Wentz I think Wentz would be exactly where Goff is maybe worse. With that being said I know it's not the thread for it but it does pertain to goff. ....I would love for goff to be our qb and prove everyone wrong but this team can win (make the playoffs) without Donald but with a qb but it may not be able to win with Donald and a sub par qb which goff could be. I love Donald and would like to have him retire a Ram but his holdout is greedy and hurting this team one year left on contract I understand but two years not cool with me and he has no leverage and technically the Rams could hurt his career if they choose to do so. What I'm slowly getting at is what I've been saying......

WOULD U GUYS TRADE DONALD GOFF AND A 6th FOR COUSINS (assuming cousins signs extension) A 1st AND A 3rd?

I would like to wait for Goff truly but I'm so tired of the losing and even if Goff has an above average season do we make the playoffs and would we even stand a chance if we did? To me cousins all but guarantees a successful season barring injury

Making a trade like this kind of rectifies the Goff possible goof we get the qb and we recoupe some picks and move in with what at least seems to be a good coaching foundation and this team actually has weapons now.

THOUGHTS????

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was playing without his #1 WR target and his #1 RB. Then they pulled the oline. I dont know why they even left him in that long.
My biggest concern is that Sammy Watkins didnt even get targeted 1 time. And Woods only 2 targets. With Kupp out I thought for sure they'd light it up

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Yeah, as soon as Hemmingway went down, I was prepared (hoping) to see all the 1'st stringers come off the field. Thought the Chargers were throwing some cheap shots as the game evolved.
Time to cut pre-season games down to 2. jmo.

Yeah it appeared the chargers still had some hard feelings after the scrimmage, their DBs were head hunting and got worse as the game went on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. He did a good job evading on that play, but it's not the 10 plays you do right, it's the catastrophic play that results in a defensive TD. I've seen good QB's give up a fumble with a blindside hit, but then just as often clutch the ball, protecting from a fumble....With Goff? It's seems more often than not that he's going to fumble it in the same situation. Then he throws a duck in the next series that gets intercepted...that's just plain flailing by a QB...jmho.

Goff fumbled 5 times on 26 sacks last year. Drew Brees fumbled 5 times on 27 sacks last year. Sometimes, a defensive player just makes a great play. I would like to see Goff protect the ball better, but that will come with experience. As I said, people are overreacting imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was playing without his #1 WR target and his #1 RB. Then they pulled the oline. I dont know why they even left him in that long.
My biggest concern is that Sammy Watkins didnt even get targeted 1 time. And Woods only 2 targets. With Kupp out I thought for sure they'd light it up

I expect we'll see Watkins unleashed Week 1. He's still playing catch-up with the offense and Goff.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That may well be, but Goff's results and statistics speak for themselves. He has a long way to go, IMO.....to give up what they did for someone where he is (is) criminal. I don't know about the rest, but I don't want to wait another 10 years for a winner......or even 2 or 3 for that matter.

This team needs a starting QB "now" and that's a fact.................
I wonder how many starting QBs would have been tossed out with the bath water with your level of patience. Goff has started a handful of games in the NFL and SHOCKINGLY has had some bad play at times. I forgot however, which QB we had that played well in the Fisher offenses. Maybe you could remind us all. The kid would have been a senior last year and has started 7 NFL games for his career - all seven of which were in a HS level offense.

Tonight frankly - he had some pretty brilliant plays followed by a very bad pass and a couple others that were off target. This on the heels of a pretty damn good outing against the Raiduhs. Yeah... I'm good with seeing how he progresses.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah it appeared the chargers still had some hard feelings after the scrimmage, their DBs were head hunting and got worse as the game went on.
The Chargers looked terrible in their 1st 2 games and clearly were more prepared fro this game seeing the Rams had half their starters in street clothes... They just looked like they wanted it more

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff took a shot last week without fumbling and he escaped pressure a couple times tonight and some last week also. He is improving, not everyone starts their carreer playing like Tom Brady, Goff is young and still growing. By the time he is 24 yrs old he will have 3 years NFL experience to go along with his 3 yrs of div1 college ball. I know many people think he should have been lights out from day 1 because he was the #1 pick, but I think Snead/Fisher whoever was responsible for going after Goff was also looking to the future. Few if any QBs come into the NFL and turn around a franchise in 1 season, especially at 21 yrs old. I want the Rams to win now just like everyone else here, but there was not a QB in the draft last year that was gonna do that with this team, so why not go for the guy that has the most upside and has shown resiliency after a 1-11 freshman season to turn around a college program that was probably about as bad as the Rams have been recently.

Remember Ball, I'm the guy that was saying last week
Goff:
4500 yards, 30 TD's, 12 INTS
I'm not a hater, but I thought the disasterous play from last year was over with...It was not just the fumble, which was really bad, it was the interception in the next series. I don't know if he was pressing and screwed up with that INT, or just threw it up hoping for a miracle...The next series, McVay wasn't trusting him to throw the ball..what was it like 5 runs in a row?
I may feel differently tomorrow/today, but right now I'm not feeling that good about the QB situation.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Ramball what you say is true but in today's nfl world if you wait on Goff 2-3 or even 4 years your whole team can be gone Rams have a very good young group but look at the Donald situation Watkins Tru, or even Tree. If you wait dudes may leave and some good picks might go to waste or even a Watkins if Goff stinks up the joint what are the chances Watkins resigns with no qb and his numbers being hurt because he became a ram we would have cost him money so he probably bolts with no future at qb in sight.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Hey guys

My take in fairness I do agree with pretty much everyone especially Ukram not only is it technically his rookie year and he has to learn a new system in addition he has to get out of all the crap teachings/habits and lack of knowledge mustache face, dopey boras, and wenke instilled in him ruining what should of been his learning curve is now going to occur this season along with breaking some of his own bad habits old regime set him back a year or possibly a career not to mention if you swap out Goff and Wentz I think Wentz would be exactly where Goff is maybe worse. With that being said I know it's not the thread for it but it does pertain to goff. ....I would love for goff to be our qb and prove everyone wrong but this team can win (make the playoffs) without Donald but with a qb but it may not be able to win with Donald and a sub par qb which goff could be. I love Donald and would like to have him retire a Ram but his holdout is greedy and hurting this team one year left on contract I understand but two years not cool with me and he has no leverage and technically the Rams could hurt his career if they choose to do so. What I'm slowly getting at is what I've been saying......

WOULD U GUYS TRADE DONALD GOFF AND A 6th FOR COUSINS (assuming cousins signs extension) A 1st AND A 3rd?

I would like to wait for Goff truly but I'm so tired of the losing and even if Goff has an above average season do we make the playoffs and would we even stand a chance if we did? To me cousins all but guarantees a successful season barring injury

Making a trade like this kind of rectifies the Goff possible goof we get the qb and we recoupe some picks and move in with what at least seems to be a good coaching foundation and this team actually has weapons now.

THOUGHTS????

I wouldnt trade Donald period, I would rather have him hate the Rams and never play again than trade him and have to play against him. And IMO Goff in time will be better than Cousins, especially with the same coaching Cousins had.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff fumbled 5 times on 26 sacks last year. Drew Brees fumbled 5 times on 27 sacks last year. Sometimes, a defensive player just makes a great play. I would like to see Goff protect the ball better, but that will come with experience. As I said, people are overreacting imo.
The NFL billed this as the dress rehearsal for the season, or the most like a regular season game...that's is why I am taking it more seriously. I didn't necessarily need to see our QB throw for 250 yards and two 2 TDs, I just wanted to see smart decisions. If you feel that what you saw Goff do was smart, then we'll have to differ on this...

I want the kid to succeed...just sayin'

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey guys

THOUGHTS????
No

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The first-team OL left the field before Goff's last series. It was clear that McVay decided the starters weren't staying in much longer.
I agree the same way he didn't let Goff throw for 8 straight plays, he didn't like Goff posture that last throw to Higbee was evident that he was checked out mentally