Bradford and Davis scenario next year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB direction would you want?

• Bradford and Davis

• First round QB and Davis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a chance to play with a good coach and good WR's would be tempting, and I can't see a competitive guy like him shying away from playing SF and Seattle. Not sure Bill O'Brien in Houston would look at him given that he seems to be enamored with Mallet (i.e. "his guy") as his long term answer. And I'm not sure what Miami would have to offer Sam besides $$$, which he could get elsewhere, including in AZ.

Don't discount it, AZ is a real possibility for Sam. And if it comes to pass, cross your fingers that it doesn't turn out like it did when Warner (another Rams castoff) went out there.
Im not discounting Arizona, but I do believe you are discounting the fact that if a player has a choice of teams, that they look at the divisions.
Miami and possibly Buffalo are in a very winnable division with the Patriots on the decline. Houston is in a winnable division as well with bottom feeders Tennesee and Jacksonville there. So yeah, If Im Sam and money is about the same, I go with who gives best chance to win, and division is part of it
Talent wise at WR? Arizona has Fitz near the end and Floyd, Houston has Johnson near the end and Hopkins, (Id call that a draw), and Miami has Hartline, Wallace and Landry. Not as good at the top, but a bit deeper. Id call all 3 a draw.
Mallett could be the guy, but if Houston came after Sam, then he clearly is not.
Point being that if Sam is a FA, teams will come calling

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny thought... Fisher comes to STL over Miami in part because of Bradford, and Bradford ends up in Miami?
And after 2014, Fisher and Philbin are relieved of their duties and Fisher takes over Miami in 2015 with Sam as his QB. Lol

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Im not discounting Arizona, but I do believe you are discounting the fact that if a player has a choice of teams, that they look at the divisions.
Miami and possibly Buffalo are in a very winnable division with the Patriots on the decline. Houston is in a winnable division as well with bottom feeders Tennesee and Jacksonville there. So yeah, If Im Sam and money is about the same, I go with who gives best chance to win, and division is part of it
Talent wise at WR? Arizona has Fitz near the end and Floyd, Houston has Johnson near the end and Hopkins, (Id call that a draw), and Miami has Hartline, Wallace and Landry. Not as good at the top, but a bit deeper. Id call all 3 a draw.
Mallett could be the guy, but if Houston came after Sam, then he clearly is not.
Point being that if Sam is a FA, teams will come calling

They look at divisions, but they also look at supporting cast. Fitz is in the latter part of his career but still has some good years left, while Floyd is on the upswing, and John Brown has been very promising as a rookie. Throw in Bruce Airans, who has done an outstanding job as their coach and you have an attractive situation. I'm not Sam, but if I was him, I'd definitely take that situation over the one in Miami, where the WR talent isn't as good and the organization isn't as stable, in no small part due to having an owner that is a starf*cker. Houston is a maybe, just depending on what O'Brien wants to do going forward.

Sam has taken flak for his whole career despite being surrounded by a mediocre supporting cast, so any team that offers that - along with some stability - is going to be attractive to him, division notwithstanding. From the perspective of a Rams fan, I would certainly hope he would leave the division if he goes elsewhere, but once he's cut, we can't control that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They look at divisions, but they also look at supporting cast. Fitz is in the latter part of his career but still has some good years left, while Floyd is on the upswing, and John Brown has been very promising as a rookie. Throw in Bruce Airans, who has done an outstanding job as their coach and you have an attractive situation. I'm not Sam, but if I was him, I'd definitely take that situation over the one in Miami, where the WR talent isn't as good and the organization isn't as stable, in no small part due to having an owner that is a starf*cker. Houston is a maybe, just depending on what O'Brien wants to do going forward.

Sam has taken flak for his whole career despite being surrounded by a mediocre supporting cast, so any team that offers that - along with some stability - is going to be attractive to him, division notwithstanding. From the perspective of a Rams fan, I would certainly hope he would leave the division if he goes elsewhere, but once he's cut, we can't control that.
We can go back and forth all day on this Lol. I dont think Arizona 2014 and going forward is all that. Its not Fitz in his prime with Boldin. Fitz has clearly lost a step.
Money and chance to play is #1, and liklhood to win is #2.
On a side note, Warner had something to prove to the Rams, to stick it to them. Bradford certainly doesnt have that. He's been treated more than fairly so I wouldnt see him wanting to stick it to them like Warner.
I think a fresh start is what he needs, and why not start clean in a new division

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Well thats just it. IMO he won't be in demand anywhere else. I'm all ears to hear an explanation why teams will be lining up to try to acquire Bradford after two consecutive knee surgeries and a career that has been likely viewed around the league as "underwhelming."
He most definitely isn't a reclamation project that teams will be looking at under his current deal.

Which would lead me to believe that it would swing the leverage back to the Rams to say:
"Sam, we like you, we want to see you put your career back on track here. Understand though, that we need to give ourselves other QB options going forward. Would you be willing to take a paycut to stay here, get healthy and have a chance to earn your job back? If not, we're going to be forced to release you. We'd rather not do that."

Those of you who know me know that i believed in Sam. I felt he had finally arrived last season and he would have flourished this season with the better offense around him. However, one can only wait so long while building a football team. Windows open and close very quickly sometimes. Bradford's luck has been for crap and i feel bad for him, but the RAMS have to approach this like they're in control of it and Sam is a movable piece at this point. They need to move on from Bradford, unless Bradford is willing to understand and accept that he's not going to be given the franchise QB treatment anymore....unless he can STAY ON THE FIELD AND PRODUCE LIKE ONE.

I agree that Bradford won't be as in demand as some posters think, but I do think that there may be some interest around the league. He has talent and has shown flashes (when healthy) and some team may want to take a chance and bring him in for a look.

With that scenario in mind, I can't believe that his agent wouldn't rather ask for Bradford's release so they can test the market before signing a deal for less money withy the Rams.
It would definitely be in Bradford's best interest to look around a bit.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I could see Bradford winding up on the Jets or Bills... the AFC East is pretty bad, and both teams have young-but-terrible QBs in place with very good defenses.

That said... I expect Bradford and the Rams to make it work. Even if they tell him he's competing, I can't imagine anyone giving him a situation in which he's not "competing" against someone young and high-upside.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sorry I cant go through another fluke injury with Bradford. They happen much to often for this young, talented upandcoming team. I think its the perfect time to bring in a good young kid and let him take over. This is no way of a bash to Bradford also, please dont take it like that. the kid has a hell of a arm with good accuracy but he just cant stay healthy. Very talented, So unfortunate!

for the life of me I still don't know why everybody says Sam Bradford is accurate.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
for the life of me I still don't know why everybody says Sam Bradford is accurate.....
Out of respect for Sam, being that he's still on the Rams roster, I didnt want to bring up anything negative about his game or what I would think about him playing AGAINST the Rams....

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm a big Bradford supporter and believe the kid has all the tools and talent in the world to be good. But he's been very unlucky with the team around him (before this year) and with injuries. I would love to have him back and give him a chance next year but not at his current salary. He needs to be on a lower "prove your healthy and can do it" kind of contract and compete for the starter spot just like Davis or anyone else on the roster.

I will add that I was not a Davis fan previously because he wasn't performing the way he is now. But if he continues to play this way it will be all that much harder for Sam to win his job back. Healthy or not.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Bradford will either be a 2nd stringer next year for a good team or will be competing for a starting job on a bad team. He is far past that point in his career where teams think "potential" and is going to be in a "prove it" situation at best. I give it less than 15% for him to be in STL next season. (Thinking the team will believe he would be to much of a distraction/PR problem (not his fault) for a team that believes they need to move on).

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Restructure Bradfords contract so it's cap friendly. Also add in an a performance based incentive contract for a few more years. Keep Davis. Draft a rookie qb high. Then trade Bradford now that his contract is cap friendly.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Restructure Bradfords contract so it's cap friendly. Also add in an a performance based incentive contract for a few more years. Keep Davis. Draft a rookie qb high. Then trade Bradford now that his contract is cap friendly.

What do you think Bradford's trade value would be?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford is only 26 years old. Broken down QB like Donovan McNabb got contracts well in to his 30's.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Good question. I think a team would give up a third or fourth round pick for him.

RamWoodie

Legend
If Davis keeps preforming consistently (still have 6 division games to play) he should be an excellent backup next year thats the scenario I'm considering right now. It would be nice if Bradford could somehow restructure but either way. Is it worth giving Bradford that last shot considering the damage he could do with his arm next year the way the offense and receivers are playing right now. If he goes down so be it, enter Austin Davis and draft a franchise QB in 2016. Because right now I dont see much of a consensus on any of the QBs coming out next year.
I don't see it. Bradford was looking VERY SHARP before he went down, the most confident I've ever seen him..and I've really liked Austin Davis from his rookie year.

Naturally, if Davis continues to do well, there will definitely be a competition...but first, understand Bradford is due 12.9 mil next year...so the Rams will definitely have to make some decisions. First thing will be "how does he look after rehab.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good question. I think a team would give up a third or fourth round pick for him.

I'm thinking no way any team gives up a draft pick and takes that contract on for an injury prone player at any position....
especially one who has frankly not been all that and a bag of chips.

rams2050

Starter
I'm thinking Bradford is the type of person who will not want to leave a job unfinished. And I also think that he will want to 'do right' by the Rams and his $50 million contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll bet watching Austin Davis be ascending into a 'toast of the town' position is absolutely, positively killing Bradford. I think Bradford will feel beholden to the Rams for all of his injury days, and I think he will try once more to come back and to prove how good he can be. What's more, I think that Davis will be making our receivers and our tight ends better so that by the time that Bradford can come back he will be throwing to a more mature and more accomplished set of receivers.

Color me optimistic, but I hope that next year Bradford is lighting it up and, if he is unable to go, then Davis will light it up. I'm hoping that GRob is on the O-line by then, joined by a 1st tier center.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see it. Bradford was looking VERY SHARP before he went down, the most confident I've ever seen him..and I've really liked Austin Davis from his rookie year.

Naturally, if Davis continues to do well, there will definitely be a competition...but first, understand Bradford is due 12.9 mil next year...so the Rams will definitely have to make some decisions. First thing will be "how does he look after rehab.
I see it because even if Bradford doesn't want to honorably restructure then he sure must see the writing on the wall. He's expensive damaged goods. no other team would probably pick him up. and he probably understands this is his last real shot here and now to ever start again in the NFL

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Bradford and Davis, and draft a QB. I voted Bradford/Davis.