Bradford and Davis scenario next year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB direction would you want?

• Bradford and Davis

• First round QB and Davis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know the "everyone loves money" argument is an easy winning argument in these situations, but I think the other side is not represented enough. I actually think some of us that are here for the pure love of football might take up your "would you do that?" challenge and take less money. Most people have decided to make less money during their lifetime due to other factors (quality of life, time with kids, etc.). A guy who is set for life with the millions he's already been paid could be motivated by something other than money. (Evil) Tom Brady is such an example -- true he's set for life with his and his wife's money so it's easier -- but he makes less than market rate out of team loyalty.

There's been baseball cases where guys have turned down guaranteed money for love of the game/team:
-Gel Meche declined $12million
-Phil Hughes turns down $500,000

Hughes' rationale? "I owe too much to this organization".

And let's not forget Pat Tillman, who gave up millions for service to his family and country.

I'm not saying "blame" Bradford if he does the expected, normal thing and makes all the money he can, but I think the "everybody would do it" argument is overused as there are examples of greater loves than money.

Don't forget Robert Smith and Barry Sanders.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yep Davis, a restructured Bradford, and a 1st-2nd rounder. Seems the best way to shore us up at QB. Let the best man win

jjab360

Legend
But I just don't see him essentially telling the Rams....'Gee, I know I've been a disappoint to this organization, so yeah, I do think I should take less money this year.'

Would you do that?
It's more like the Rams telling him "You aren't worth the money we're paying you this year, so either take a pay cut and keep working in a comfortable environment or take your chances on the open market after subpar play, multiple surgeries, and not even being able to get on the field for a year and a half."

I'm pretty sure we'll have an interest in keeping him around, but at 16 million (or whatever he's making) it's not an option.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yep Davis, a restructured Bradford, and a 1st-2nd rounder. Seems the best way to shore us up at QB. Let the best man win

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
If Davis plays out the season the way he is going the past has shown that a QB hungry team will make him a big offer. Will the Rams match it or take the draft pick? Also if Davis does continue to get better why would he want to stay here as a backup after tasting being a starter.

People can say what they want about Bradford but it seems that Fisher really likes the guy and I'm not sure that Fisher is ready to risk seeing him possibly go to a rival team aka AZ, or any other team until he knows for sure how that knee is going to be.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Davis is a RFA in 2015. So ASSUMING he plays well the rest of the season, I would:
- Place a 1st-round tender on Davis ($2.879 million as of 2013)
- Cut Bradford, re-sign to a 2-year $15-million backloaded contract with no guaranteed money (give him higher potential $$ than anyone else but with the guarantees low/null in the Rams' favor)
- Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd to compete (if we're bad enough, Winston or Mariota... otherwise, someone like Cook or Mannion)
- Let the QB competition proceed in 2015 with no concern over whether the winner was the big-money or high-draft-profile guy

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If/when Bradford is cut, there will be teams willing to throw starter money at him. Why on earth would he take a big time salary cut to play for a team who is making him compete for the starting job?
He wont, and shouldnt.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Davis is a RFA in 2015. So ASSUMING he plays well the rest of the season, I would:
- Place a 1st-round tender on Davis ($2.879 million as of 2013)
- Cut Bradford, re-sign to a 2-year $15-million backloaded contract with no guaranteed money (give him higher potential $$ than anyone else but with the guarantees low/null in the Rams' favor)
- Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd to compete (if we're bad enough, Winston or Mariota... otherwise, someone like Cook or Mannion)
- Let the QB competition proceed in 2015 with no concern over whether the winner was the big-money or high-draft-profile guy

Think any guys we can get in the mid-late 1st-2nd are better than Davis or potentially better than Davis? If not, I would rather see that pick go to FS or DT personally!

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
BRADFORD is gone. Injury prone .

DAVIS maybe #2

Draft & free agent 2 more QB's

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
-Re-sign Davis to 3+ year deal(starter)
-Re-sign Hill to 2 year deal
-Cut Bradford, signs with QB needy team
-Draft a QB in round 2-3

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If/when Bradford is cut, there will be teams willing to throw starter money at him. Why on earth would he take a big time salary cut to play for a team who is making him compete for the starting job?
He wont, and shouldnt.

I just hope he doesn't go with the Cardinals. Carson Palmer is near the end and while Drew Stanton has played well, I don't think he's the long term answer for them, and there's no way he is as good as a healthy Bradford. My fear is that Sam goes there, he gets over his injury woes, and he tortures us for seasons on end. It's happened to this team before.

fearsomefour

Legend
I just hope he doesn't go with the Cardinals. Carson Palmer is near the end and while Drew Stanton has played well, I don't think he's the long term answer for them, and there's no way he is as good as a healthy Bradford. My fear is that Sam goes there, he gets over his injury woes, and he tortures us for seasons on end. It's happened to this team before.
This is exactly where I see him going if he is cut.

fearsomefour

Legend
If Davis continues to play at his current level there would be no reason to bring Bradford back at his current money. the only exceptions being the Rams coaches dont believe Davis is going to sustain the level of play or they still believe Bradford is an elite guy. If Davis comes back and Bradford is let go then Hill should be retained also. If Bradford and Davis come back there is no reason to keep Hill around.
It is interesting that Davis was cut, then brought back only out of desperation after injury and he is doing very well. It continues to amaze how poor teams are at finding QBs....even when they are right in front of them.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He wont, and shouldnt.
That's why you have to offer higher money with lower guarantees than other teams. If he declines, that's a shame - I'd like him to be back in the horns next season.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Im terrified we cut Bradford and he goes to anyone in the NFC tbh but especially the Cards. If he stays healthy for any stretch of time (and he's due some good luck) he's gonna tear this league up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why you have to offer higher money with lower guarantees than other teams. If he declines, that's a shame - I'd like him to be back in the horns next season.
That sounds great, for the Rams... Again, under the guise that Davis is playing well the rest of this season, his chances of becoming the starter again are unlikely, therefore the opportunity to earn those bonuses isnt really there. I think most teams will offer low base/ high incentives. So going where he is more certain to play and earn is more likely. Cant blame him

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dont know about that. All things considered if I'm Sam, I wouldnt mind getting away from playing San Fran and Seattle 2x per year. Houston to me seems more likely or maybe Miami

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Dont know about that. All things considered if I'm Sam, I wouldnt mind getting away from playing San Fran and Seattle 2x per year. Houston to me seems more likely or maybe Miami
Funny thought... Fisher comes to STL over Miami in part because of Bradford, and Bradford ends up in Miami?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So I'm curious.
Why do so many people seem to think that Bradford will be willing got take a pay cut to stay with the Rams next year?

If he'll be as in demand as some think why wouldn't he expect his full salary if he stays in St. Louis?
Well thats just it. IMO he won't be in demand anywhere else. I'm all ears to hear an explanation why teams will be lining up to try to acquire Bradford after two consecutive knee surgeries and a career that has been likely viewed around the league as "underwhelming."
He most definitely isn't a reclamation project that teams will be looking at under his current deal.

Which would lead me to believe that it would swing the leverage back to the Rams to say:
"Sam, we like you, we want to see you put your career back on track here. Understand though, that we need to give ourselves other QB options going forward. Would you be willing to take a paycut to stay here, get healthy and have a chance to earn your job back? If not, we're going to be forced to release you. We'd rather not do that."

Those of you who know me know that i believed in Sam. I felt he had finally arrived last season and he would have flourished this season with the better offense around him. However, one can only wait so long while building a football team. Windows open and close very quickly sometimes. Bradford's luck has been for shit and i feel bad for him, but the RAMS have to approach this like they're in control of it and Sam is a movable piece at this point. They need to move on from Bradford, unless Bradford is willing to understand and accept that he's not going to be given the franchise QB treatment anymore....unless he can STAY ON THE FIELD AND PRODUCE LIKE ONE.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think a chance to play with a good coach and good WR's would be tempting, and I can't see a competitive guy like him shying away from playing SF and Seattle. Not sure Bill O'Brien in Houston would look at him given that he seems to be enamored with Mallet (i.e. "his guy") as his long term answer. And I'm not sure what Miami would have to offer Sam besides $$$, which he could get elsewhere, including in AZ.

Don't discount it, AZ is a real possibility for Sam. And if it comes to pass, cross your fingers that it doesn't turn out like it did when Warner (another Rams castoff) went out there.