Bradford and Davis scenario next year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB direction would you want?

• Bradford and Davis

• First round QB and Davis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Too early to say. Nobody here knows who Austin Davis is going to be after a full season.

If Davis plays well, draft a QB early without giving up too many resources. If Davis falters, bring back Bradford at a reduced rate and do what you can to get an elite signal caller in the first, making Bradford earn the starting job.

If Davis plays well, there's no sense in bringing Bradford back as he wouldn't agree to a low enough contract to make it worth it.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I picked OTHER.

1) Imo you resign Davis (RFA) to a 1-2 year deal at a decent salary.
2)You cut Sam and resign him to a 1-year deal (very common for players trying to prove themselves coming off major injury).
3)Draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. If OUR GUY is there in the middle of the 1st (which is where I think we'll be drafting), take him. But don't reach. Imo Davis & Sam is a solid enough plan, so even if we do get our guy around say #15 overall, he's still likely to sit. I'm sure there will be some underrated QB prospects in the 2nd & 3rd rounds.

The thing I love about bringing back Davis & Sam plus the rookie QB, we'll probably have those 3 QBs for cheaper than Sam's original cap # for 2015.

LooNaTik83

Look do I need to spill the beans?...

Has Sam Bradford ever performed a 21-0 game?..Enough said? I don't think any quarterback from as far back as I can remember has. If so it doesn't matter, because it will be irrelevant in this case...I'm looking for progress in this team (now), I'm not trying to retract back to crap.

I voted other, because why waste a first round clown from college when we already have a QB who can produce the plays needed to win games.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKBISTRO

UDFA
I really like Sam and wished he stayed healthy this year, but there's no way that we are going to be able to trust that he can stay healthy enough to be our QB next year. As someone already mentioned, he may need a whole additional season to properly heal and may not be truly ready until 2016. It may be best for both the Rams and Sam if we parted ways with him.

Unfortunately if we cut him he will probably sign with Arizona and really have a great career. And as much as I would hate potentially getting killed by him twice a year, I would still be happy for him.

Ramathon

If he reworks his contract, I would love to see Bradford back for cheap and competing against Davis. If Gunner Kiel comes out, then a three way battle royale would make it interesting next training camp...

Isn't 2015 the last yr of Bradford's original rookie contract? IF so, I seriously doubt his agent will let him rework his contract for less $$. Now, depending on cap ramifications, I could possibly see the Rams cutting him, letting him test the FA market, and then re-signing him at a reduced rate if nobody else picks him up. So, the end result would effectively be the same.

But I just don't see him essentially telling the Rams....'Gee, I know I've been a disappoint to this organization, so yeah, I do think I should take less money this year.'

Would you do that?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll never understand the infatuation with bradford. The ROI on his pick has been minimal.
I'll support whoever is in uniform and playing so go Davis.
As Davis goes, so will the season.

V3

Hall of Fame
Then get ready to see him in a Patriot uni ,McDaniels will lobby for it and Brady is about done, Sam could sit or backup the whole year the next year he could wear a 10lb brace and still be as mobile as Brady
Why would the Pats do that? They just drafted Brady's replacement and he's looked good. On top of that, their O-line is getting bad. Bradford and bad O-lines go together about as well as cattle and slaughterhouses. And if that wasn't enough, Bradford didn't fit McDaniel's system. At all.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Then get ready to see him in a Patriot uni ,McDaniels will lobby for it and Brady is about done, Sam could sit or backup the whole year the next year he could wear a 10lb brace and still be as mobile as Brady

If Bradford plays somewhere else next year, it would definitely be in his best interests to NOT go to a team like the Patriots. One of the things that has plagued him during his time with the Rams is a mediocre supporting cast, particularly at WR, and he'd be going into the exact same situation in NE. Overall they are very weak at the skill positions, and even if Sam tries to make it up by targeting DA 15 times a game, you know that DA is still going to miss serious time. He always does.

My fear is that Sam goes to the Cardinals, holds up well against injury, and starts lighting it up out there - and on us when we play them. In my time as a Rams fan, they've had some bad luck with letting QBs get away. Let Warner get away to AZ, he took them to a Super Bowl and beat our asses good for a few years. Let Jaworski get away, he took the Eagles to a Super Bowl. Ran Jim Everett out of town, he beat the Rams 4 of 6 times in his years with the Saints (including winning his last game at Anaheim Stadium, something the Rams did not do). Heck, even Jeff Kemp was able to keep the 49ers competitive and mostly winning when Montana was out with an injury - which eventually cost the Rams a division title.

I hope Davis does well enough to at least give us some options going forward so that we don't need a guy like Sam. I would love nothing better than to see Davis evolve to the point that The Stranger can say his prediction was right. But for those that are anxious to get rid of Sam, be careful what you wish for.

jdhommert

Rookie
I've been a Bradford supporter within reason...but I think you've got to move on from him at this point. I think the only way I bring him back is as a mentor/bridge guy for a 1st round QB. If Davis is the guy for the future (I don't think he is or will be) then you dont need a 1st rounder you need a backup. I think they will take a new QB and ultimately have Davis be the backup. I think Bradford could help a 1st rounder a lot as Bradford went through all kinds of hell and can give a lot of advice. However if we cut him he'll probably want the opportunity to go sign with a team for a lot more money/years. He won't get big money, but more than we (or myself anyway) would give him. Lots of Jets fans are wanting to sign SB8 after this season as they think he still has a lot of potential and has been in a maze of shit in STL.

I just can't rely on Bradford as the guy anymore.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Isn't 2015 the last yr of Bradford's original rookie contract? IF so, I seriously doubt his agent will let him rework his contract for less $$. Now, depending on cap ramifications, I could possibly see the Rams cutting him, letting him test the FA market, and then re-signing him at a reduced rate if nobody else picks him up. So, the end result would effectively be the same.

But I just don't see him essentially telling the Rams....'Gee, I know I've been a disappoint to this organization, so yeah, I do think I should take less money this year.'

Would you do that?
Valid point regarding the approach to his contract - essentially it could come down to what conversation the Rams and he have. That final year of his contract will be off the table; be cut or re-sign for less.

ShaneFalco

trade bradford for picks. Draft O line + WR + Gurley + Start Davis = profit.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
So I'm curious.
Why do so many people seem to think that Bradford will be willing got take a pay cut to stay with the Rams next year?

If he'll be as in demand as some think why wouldn't he expect his full salary if he stays in St. Louis?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So I'm curious.
Why do so many people seem to think that Bradford will be willing got take a pay cut to stay with the Rams next year?

If he'll be as in demand as some think why wouldn't he expect his full salary if he stays in St. Louis?
Yeah, that's a good point. Which is why I don't comment on the "take a pay cut" talk. You can't just arbitrarily cut a guy's pay anyway. When you get into that type of negotiation there are two options for the player. Take a cut, or take a hike. I don't know that the Rams are willing to do that, and I'm relatively sure Bradford would elect to take the hike in that scenario.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Yeah, that's a good point. Which is why I don't comment on the "take a pay cut" talk. You can't just arbitrarily cut a guy's pay anyway. When you get into that type of negotiation there are two options for the player. Take a cut, or take a hike. I don't know that the Rams are willing to do that, and I'm relatively sure Bradford would elect to take the hike in that scenario.

"pay cut" was a poor choice of words on my part.

Speeps

Starter
I think its unwise for the Rams to make any assumptions this early. I think you see what Davis offers you, see what free agency looks like, and then see what the draft (and draft positions and picks) look like. Then you evaluate all options, with Bradford being one of them. It's way too early to say we need to go in a different direction. I think you only go in a different direction, if there's a better alternative.

ViperLjs

Rookie
If (and its a big if) Davis continues to play as well as he has, he's the starter going forward. He has been one of the better QBs in football over the last few weeks.

At this point, the chances of Bradford even being on the team next year are minimal...with his cap hit and injury history, he's pretty much an automatic cut, especially since it wouldn't leave any dead money. The team would be left with an extra 16+ million to play with.

It would be awfully nice to avoid trying to draft a qb in the 1st round, also.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
But I just don't see him essentially telling the Rams....'Gee, I know I've been a disappoint to this organization, so yeah, I do think I should take less money this year.' Would you do that?
I know the "everyone loves money" argument is an easy winning argument in these situations, but I think the other side is not represented enough. I actually think some of us that are here for the pure love of football might take up your "would you do that?" challenge and take less money. Most people have decided to make less money during their lifetime due to other factors (quality of life, time with kids, etc.). A guy who is set for life with the millions he's already been paid could be motivated by something other than money. (Evil) Tom Brady is such an example -- true he's set for life with his and his wife's money so it's easier -- but he makes less than market rate out of team loyalty.

There's been baseball cases where guys have turned down guaranteed money for love of the game/team:
-Gel Meche declined $12million
-Phil Hughes turns down $500,000

Hughes' rationale? "I owe too much to this organization".

And let's not forget Pat Tillman, who gave up millions for service to his family and country.

I'm not saying "blame" Bradford if he does the expected, normal thing and makes all the money he can, but I think the "everybody would do it" argument is overused as there are examples of greater loves than money.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If (and its a big if) Davis continues to play as well as he has, he's the starter going forward. He has been one of the better QBs in football over the last few weeks.

At this point, the chances of Bradford even being on the team next year are minimal...with his cap hit and injury history, he's pretty much an automatic cut, especially since it wouldn't leave any dead money. The team would be left with an extra 16+ million to play with.

It would be awfully nice to avoid trying to draft a qb in the 1st round, also.
right now I just dont see a quarterback that I would want to waste a 1st round pick on next year. we still have enough problems and other positions i'd rather fill

Ramathon

I know the "everyone loves money" argument is an easy winning argument in these situations, but I think the other side is not represented enough. I actually think some of us that are here for the pure love of football might take up your "would you do that?" challenge and take less money. Most people have decided to make less money during their lifetime due to other factors (quality of life, time with kids, etc.). A guy who is set for life with the millions he's already been paid could be motivated by something other than money. (Evil) Tom Brady is such an example -- true he's set for life with his and his wife's money so it's easier -- but he makes less than market rate out of team loyalty.

There's been baseball cases where guys have turned down guaranteed money for love of the game/team:
-Gel Meche declined $12million
-Phil Hughes turns down $500,000

Hughes' rationale? "I owe too much to this organization".

And let's not forget Pat Tillman, who gave up millions for service to his family and country.

I'm not saying "blame" Bradford if he does the expected, normal thing and makes all the money he can, but I think the "everybody would do it" argument is overused as there are examples of greater loves than money.

There are exception to every rule, of course. But with the exception of Tillman in your examples, everyone in the group 'had theirs'....or at minimum were still going to make more in their "I'll take less" job than 98% of American citizens.