Bradford and Davis scenario next year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB direction would you want?

• Bradford and Davis

• First round QB and Davis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
What do you think Bradford's trade value would be?

Zero, given his cap number... Maybe someone would sign him at $5M to compete for a job... He's not at the level of an Alex Smith (in terms of a proven commodity) where a team is going to give up serious draft capital... Maybe, if he was healthy, we'd get a third (or lower given that he'd be competing for a job anywhere he went) for him that was contingent on him restructuring his deal and passing a physical.

It's time to move on with our franchise already.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Because he is.

Actually he is barely average and has had years where he is below average. When people say he is very accurate in my opinion they're talking about his college days because I was certainly not a word you would use to describe his pro career.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Restructure Bradfords contract so it's cap friendly. Also add in an a performance based incentive contract for a few more years. Keep Davis. Draft a rookie qb high. Then trade Bradford now that his contract is cap friendly.
Why would Bradford agree to a restructure if they were going to turn around and trade him? That doesnt make any sense. He's better off being UFA where he can choose the team he would play for

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Zero, given his cap number... Maybe someone would sign him at $5M to compete for a job... He's not at the level of an Alex Smith (in terms of a proven commodity) where a team is going to give up serious draft capital... Maybe, if he was healthy, we'd get a third (or lower given that he'd be competing for a job anywhere he went) for him that was contingent on him restructuring his deal and passing a physical.

It's time to move on with our franchise already.
THIS is the exact reason he will probably agree to restructure. he's damaged goods in everyone's eyes and doesn't have any cards to play. he'll restructure if he wants to start on a team next year and get a shot at improving his value for other teams in the future if he does leave. and again I'd rather take him next year for one last shot than sign one of the guys coming out of the draft next year. none im impressed with.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
THIS is the exact reason he will probably agree to restructure. he's damaged goods in everyone's eyes and doesn't have any cards to play. he'll restructure if he wants to start on a team next year and get a shot at improving his value for other teams in the future if he does leave. and again I'd rather take him next year for one last shot than sign one of the guys coming out of the draft next year. none im impressed with.

I'm starting to lean on this idea too. None of the prospects really stand out from the rest of the crop. The only guy I want is Christian Hackenberg from Penn State but it's likely that he won't be available until 2016. Just in time to evaluate Bradford and Davis in 2015

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
I think people are going to be shocked at the attention Bradford will get if the Rams allow him to test the market or walk. This is a QB starving league. Coaches and FO will see anything to convince themselves of Bradfords problems in STL.

Honestly who thinks that Bradford wouldnt beat out any QB he would have to go up against in TC. Bradford has always looked amazing in TC. His only question would be can he stay on the field.

Every year teams throw ridiculous money at nobody QB's with one good season. I still think the Rams will keep him and at his current pay. Fisher will not walk away from Bradford unless he is 100% Bradfords knee is done for.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think people are going to be shocked at the attention Bradford will get if the Rams allow him to test the market or walk. This is a QB starving league. Coaches and FO will see anything to convince themselves of Bradfords problems in STL.

Honestly who thinks that Bradford wouldnt beat out any QB he would have to go up against in TC. Bradford has always looked amazing in TC. His only question would be can he stay on the field.

Every year teams throw ridiculous money at nobody QB's with one good season. I still think the Rams will keep him and at his current pay. Fisher will not walk away from Bradford unless he is 100% Bradfords knee is done for.

He has a spotty track record and a knee that has been repaired two times in less than a year. That's going to scare most teams away from offering any real money, he'll probably get an incentive laden deal from a bottom dweller team that hopes he can finally become what people thought he was going to be.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.
A QB needy team can offer him a low base with huge incentives and offer the playing time needed to reach those incentives.
Carson Palmer washed out in Oakland and got a 2 year, 16 mill deal from Arizona
I could see plenty of teams offering that type of deal

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually he is barely average and has had years where he is below average. When people say he is very accurate in my opinion they're talking about his college days because I was certainly not a word you would use to describe his pro career.

Completion% isn't accuracy. Bradford has his warts but accuracy isn't one of them. If we want to go by stats(which I do not favor), Bradford was #7 in the NFL last year in Accuracy%(directed targets less drops). However, accuracy is something you have to evaluate with your eyes. I just don't see an issue with it. His accuracy wanes under pressure but when he's mechanically sound and in a relatively clean pocket, he can put the ball wherever he wants it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Completion% isn't accuracy. Bradford has his warts but accuracy isn't one of them. If we want to go by stats(which I do not favor), Bradford was #7 in the NFL last year in Accuracy%(directed targets less drops). However, accuracy is something you have to evaluate with your eyes. I just don't see an issue with it. His accuracy wanes under pressure but when he's mechanically sound and in a relatively clean pocket, he can put the ball wherever he wants it.

No point in splitting hairs or quibbling over a definition. My eyes and his completion % tell me his accuracy was just average, yours don't. No bog deal.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why not Bradford / Davis! It could end up like the good old days ,when we had both Waterfiel and VanBrocklin under contract at the same time! That was a Real winning combo!!:D

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

We're going to have to pay our current QB as well. Don't forget about that. So my question; are we going to tie up $15M on Bradford + whatever we end up paying Davis for next year ($3-10M) + a possible early draft pick (~$1M)?

You're talking anywhere from $19 - 26M of our salary cap on the QB position if we keep Bradford without restructuring his deal.

I just don't see that as feasible, especially if we want to continue to add talent as well as keep what talent we have.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I agree. He's going to have to restructure regardless. He'll get a "show me" deal that will give him another opportunity in this league. It's good for him and good for whichever team he ends up on.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Look, Sam isn't going anywhere. He has one year left on his contract his salary has already been factored in. The Rams like him, he will play for the Rams next year, if he does well he'll get a large new contract. If he struggles or gets hurt again his time in St Louis will then be over. The R If Davis continues to play well hell get the back-up contract.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Look, Sam isn't going anywhere. He has one year left on his contract his salary has already been factored in. The Rams like him, he will play for the Rams next year, if he does well he'll get a large new contract. If he struggles or gets hurt again his time in St Louis will then be over. The R If Davis continues to play well hell get the back-up contract.

What do you mean his salary has been factored in?

V3

Hall of Fame
Someone mentioned it on the radio and to me it makes some sense....Buffalo could be an option for Bradford. He'd be the starter, he'll have weapons, and I think their O-line is solid.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Mr. Baker
They have already factored in Sam's pay for next year, it is something that has been known for 5 years now. There has been no indication by the Rams that they are going to cut him next year, just some speculation on the part of many, yourself included. All indications are (J.Thomas) that Sam's recovering is going well. Let's just wait and see.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well thats just it. IMO he won't be in demand anywhere else. I'm all ears to hear an explanation why teams will be lining up to try to acquire Bradford after two consecutive knee surgeries and a career that has been likely viewed around the league as "underwhelming."
He most definitely isn't a reclamation project that teams will be looking at under his current deal.

I agree with this.

I think we overestimate Bradford's worth because we drafted him, we heard all the glowing reports, we formed an opinion that he is a franchise QB.

But he hasn't turned out to be that at all. Lots of possible reasons why. But, he hasn't.

I think the rest of the league would look at him as you describe. And tread very cautiously.

As far as the topic, I agree with anyone who said it's too early to think about this.

Davis has exceeded expectation by a pretty wide margin, but that could change in a heartbeat.

A few good games could land him back on the bench for all we know.

Tough games coming up, I'm excited to see how he performs!