Bradford and Davis scenario next year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB direction would you want?

• Bradford and Davis

• First round QB and Davis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd do this.

Cut Bradford and offer him a "Prove It" low paying contract. Not quite veteran minimum, but not too much either. I like Bradford, but there's no way he should be playing next year on his contract value. This is assuming Bradford doesn't hang it up of course.

Draft a QB in 2nd round or so. 1st round ONLY if there's a "Can't believe this guy is here, too good to be true guy" staring at us when we make the pick.

Open QB competition in camp next year. Davis vs. Bradford vs. rookie. Likely, if Bradford doesn't win, cut him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Mr. Baker
They have already factored in Sam's pay for next year, it is something that has been known for 5 years now. There has been no indication by the Rams that they are going to cut him next year, just some speculation on the part of many, yourself included. All indications are (J.Thomas) that Sam's recovering is going well. Let's just wait and see.

Yes but that doesn't mean they won't consider cutting him to save the salary and cap dollars.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'd do this.

Cut Bradford and offer him a "Prove It" low paying contract. Not quite veteran minimum, but not too much either. I like Bradford, but there's no way he should be playing next year on his contract value. This is assuming Bradford doesn't hang it up of course.

Draft a QB in 2nd round or so. 1st round ONLY if there's a "Can't believe this guy is here, too good to be true guy" staring at us when we make the pick.

Open QB competition in camp next year. Davis vs. Bradford vs. rookie. Likely, if Bradford doesn't win, cut him.

Good to see you back in action Boffo. Hopefully it brings some good luck to the team. They need it.

ShaneFalco

I'd do this.

agree completely.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Good to see you back in action Boffo. Hopefully it brings some good luck to the team. They need it.
I dunno... there was that time last year when my computer broke and the Rams won 3 games. :)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Look, Sam isn't going anywhere. He has one year left on his contract his salary has already been factored in. The Rams like him, he will play for the Rams next year, if he does well he'll get a large new contract. If he struggles or gets hurt again his time in St Louis will then be over. The R If Davis continues to play well hell get the back-up contract.

There is no way we're paying him $15M next year. Contracts are backloaded to force teams to restructure the contract and extend the years. That, also, won't happen with Bradford given his injury history and sub-par play (regardless of who at "fault" for his career to date).

Let the man have a fresh start. Did wonders for Alex Smith.

nighttrain

Legend
way to early to call this, Davis could play out the season on high note, or could tank. Lets see what develops.
train

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Why would Bradford agree to a restructure if they were going to turn around and trade him? That doesnt make any sense. He's better off being UFA where he can choose the team he would play for

It was a joke. I meant have the coaching staff act like they were going to keep him to get him to restructure. Then turn around trade him now that the contract is more appealing to other teams.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure why people think Bradford wouldn't have a little trade value? (Once again not that I was serious about my first post.) I bet a team throws big money at him if he becomes a free agent. He'd probably demand more than a first round pick with the way the rookie cap is now structured. Or close. That's even with his injury record. Teams pay big money for players withith injury problems all the time. Just ask Jake Long.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure why people think Bradford wouldn't have a little trade value? (Once again not that I was serious about my first post.) I bet a team throws big money at him if he becomes a free agent. He'd probably demand more than a first round pick with the way the rookie cap is now structured. Or close. That's even with his injury record. Teams pay big money for players withith injury problems all the time. Just ask Jake Long.
If he doesnt re-structure, I believe the cap hit is enormous. I dont know if a team could trade for him, then restructure with him and get relief.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I'm a huge Bradford fan and the only way he'd have any trade value is if there's a huge QB need around the league.

There are reasons (not excuses, reasons) he hasn't produced. Sadly, they're very similar to the reasons Bulger didn't produce past a certain point, and the reasons why I'm not sure if Davis will consistently produce throughout the season.

But if the Rams tried to cut him and lower his price, any team would be free to sign him without compensation to the Rams. If the Rams didn't do so, no team would take him at that price with his health being the question mark it is. And if a team traded for him, they couldn't lower his price without salary cap implications and giving him freedom to leave.

RamWoodie

Legend
I see it because even if Bradford doesn't want to honorably restructure then he sure must see the writing on the wall. He's expensive damaged goods. no other team would probably pick him up. and he probably understands this is his last real shot here and now to ever start again in the NFL
That's the least thing to worry about as I see it. Sam restructured once...and I have NO DOUBT he wants to remain a Ram, so he would restructure. The question has to be if Davis does really well, how much more would he want? He'll be an unrestricted free agent and he makes $570k this year.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Wait and see approach for me.It's funny how people are jumping on the bandwagon after two games.

moklerman

Warner-phile
After watching the Jets game last week and tonight's Texans game, I can think of two teams right off the bat that would be interested in Bradford should he become available. Tennessee, maybe Arizona and Buffalo too.

I hope he stays a Ram, learns from watching Davis and the Rams can move forward with a really good 1-2 punch at QB. But that's how I feel at this moment. I still think Bradford has more upside than Davis but the more Davis plays well, the less "potential" is going to play a factor. I think Bradford could have been doing much of what Davis is doing but with a better arm but there's really no knock on Davis' game so far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait and see approach for me.It's funny how people are jumping on the bandwagon after two games.

3 games...his first 3 starts...and he posted in a 98+ QB Rating in all 3 games. I think it's hard not to get excited when a first time starting QB does that. We shall see where he goes from here. Seattle and San Francisco both had stellar defenses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd do this.

Bradford will get more elsewhere. And I don't see a point in drafting a 2nd round QB if we're keeping Davis and Sam. We either need a young QB or we don't. And if we need a young QB, I certainly hope there's one available in the 1st round.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Bradford will get more elsewhere. And I don't see a point in drafting a 2nd round QB if we're keeping Davis and Sam. We either need a young QB or we don't. And if we need a young QB, I certainly hope there's one available in the 1st round.
If Bradford does get more elsewhere, more power to him. Hopefully he'll get more of what any QB needs to succeed than he did here.

Much will depend on just how Davis finishes the season and just who is available. But I **DO NOT** want to take a QB in the 1st round if there's not a worthy one there to take just because "we need a young QB".

A 2nd round QB wouldn't necessarily have to be an instant starter, and such a 3 way competition gives us pretty good odds that we have at least 2 good options at QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Bradford does get more elsewhere, more power to him. Hopefully he'll get more of what any QB needs to succeed than he did here.

I don't think it's an if. You look at teams like Houston, Oakland, NYJ, Tennessee, etc. They're desperate. The best backups get somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million a year. If Bradford were to hit FA, I think the "prove it" deals he'd get would be 1-2 year deals worth $5-6 million a year...if not more.

Much will depend on just how Davis finishes the season and just who is available. But I **DO NOT** want to take a QB in the 1st round if there's not a worthy one there to take just because "we need a young QB".

I don't think anyone does. My issue with 2nd round QBs is this...if I think a guy's a franchise caliber starter, I'm taking him Round 1. If I don't, why would I draft him before the 3rd or 4th round?

A 2nd round QB wouldn't necessarily have to be an instant starter, and such a 3 way competition gives us pretty good odds that we have at least 2 good options at QB.

I honestly don't want multiple good options...I want a franchise QB. My question is this...why would that QB fall to the 2nd?

I'm not saying that's fool-proof. There are definitely examples of guys that fell through the cracks. My point is that if I think the guy is a franchise QB, I'm not letting him fall to the 2nd. So if he's there in the 2nd, there must be some question that I have.

But making plans this far in advantage is pretty much pointless. No idea who will be available in any round. So I guess I can't say for sure. But it's just not a strategy that I favor. I hope I explained why adequately. :)

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I honestly don't want multiple good options...I want a franchise QB. My question is this...why would that QB fall to the 2nd?

I'm not saying that's fool-proof. There are definitely examples of guys that fell through the cracks. My point is that if I think the guy is a franchise QB, I'm not letting him fall to the 2nd. So if he's there in the 2nd, there must be some question that I have.

But making plans this far in advantage is pretty much pointless. No idea who will be available in any round. So I guess I can't say for sure. But it's just not a strategy that I favor. I hope I explained why adequately. :)
Well, as I said... if there's a guy the Rams feel they have to take, take him. I'm not sure there will be. I want options rather than have to keep ANOTHER high round pick on the bench... or worse, feel forced to play a guy when it becomes obvious he isn't going to pan out. I also don't want to feel that the Rams' season is over just because the starting QB went down.

Plus, it does seem we still have QB killing problems that we need to somehow find a solution for. I honestly don't know if we've adequately supported a QB since the GSOT days. Grabbing the hot new guy with our premium pick (man, am I going to miss not having 2 1st rounders any more...) might just result in a repeat of what happened with Bradford.

But I completely agree with your last line. The only way one can even respond to this thread is to make arbitrary assumptions that may end up having no connection to reality.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Well, as I said... if there's a guy the Rams feel they have to take, take him. I'm not sure there will be. I want options rather than have to keep ANOTHER high round pick on the bench... or worse, feel forced to play a guy when it becomes obvious he isn't going to pan out. I also don't want to feel that the Rams' season is over just because the starting QB went down.

Plus, it does seem we still have QB killing problems that we need to somehow find a solution for. I honestly don't know if we've adequately supported a QB since the GSOT days. Grabbing the hot new guy with our premium pick (man, am I going to miss not having 2 1st rounders any more...) might just result in a repeat of what happened with Bradford.

But I completely agree with your last line. The only way one can even respond to this thread is to make arbitrary assumptions that may end up having no connection to reality.
in my opening post I simply stated Im not big on any of the QBs coming out next year and if Davis keeps playing solid he's a lock as a backup. so I simply wanted to know if people would like to see Bradford stay or go and draft 1st round QB etc. MY original question was very simple and I wasn't asking anyone to guess what will actually happen or any 'if' 'and' or 'buts' that might be involved. it was not an arbitrary post. just many of the responses