Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could swear Goff only has one more year on his contract after this year.

But next year the CAP hit is zero if they cut him.
1669219783885.png

He did a restructure to help their cap, so he's on the books for 2 years at 5 mill per of dead cap
But he's also making near 26 mill next year, which is way too much when they can cut him and save 16 mill.
Could easily afford a "journeyman" type contract for a year or two if they want a Vet their to ease the landing for a rookie QB
Or they could go forward with him as their guy and use all the draft capital and Cap space to build around him. Hard to believe that would be the case but it is Detroit after all

Upwurdz

UDFA
Name
Upwurdz
I'm more optimistic than you are on this one. I don't think there's any way McVay leaves after this debacle of a season. I think he's too competitive to leave on such a terrible note.

More than anything though, I think a sense of obligation and brotherhood will bring him back. McSnead and the big 4 (Coop, AD, MS, JR) have a special bond and they don't want to let each other down.

Leaving after this season would harm McVay's legacy and he knows it.

JMO
What bugs me is that we already are having these discussions. Why is it we, the Rams, finally find a winner of a coach, and can barely hang onto him, where as other good coaches stay with their organizations for 10+ years? What’s different about the Rams? Does anyone think that McVay may be done with the Rams, but not necessarily coaching? It’s painful to think that, but during the dark years, all I wanted was for us to find our Harbaugh, our Peyton, and now that we have, we can barely hold onto him

Tano

Legend
View attachment 57549
He did a restructure to help their cap, so he's on the books for 2 years at 5 mill per of dead cap
But he's also making near 26 mill next year, which is way too much when they can cut him and save 16 mill.
Could easily afford a "journeyman" type contract for a year or two if they want a Vet their to ease the landing for a rookie QB
Or they could go forward with him as their guy and use all the draft capital and Cap space to build around him. Hard to believe that would be the case but it is Detroit after all
Did not know about the restructure.

I had last looked at it a year ago when the cap hit this year was only 15M and next year zero

But now I see a Cap Hit of 10M if they let him go versus a 30M cap hit if they keep him (if I am reading that correctly)

Tano

Legend
What bugs me is that we already are having these discussions. Why is it we, the Rams, finally find a winner of a coach, and can barely hang onto him, where as other good coaches stay with their organizations for 10+ years? What’s different about the Rams? Does anyone think that McVay may be done with the Rams, but not necessarily coaching? It’s painful to think that, but during the dark years, all I wanted was for us to find our Harbaugh, our Peyton, and now that we have, we can barely hold onto him
Need a cry emoji

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did not know about the restructure.

I had last looked at it a year ago when the cap hit this year was only 15M and next year zero

But now I see a Cap Hit of 10M if they let him go versus a 30M cap hit if they keep him (if I am reading that correctly)
I dont recall the details of the restructure, but it pushed 15 mil of dead cap to the Lions. Still and all, a 10 mill dead cap beats paying 26 mill for a QB who can be replaced by a "Journeyman" type QB who would cost 1/4 of that. (Which was what the discussion was about)

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Is there a way for us to ask for the money back for cap purposes but let him keep it in actuality?
I did not know until a couple of days ago, thanks to @dieterbrock and @OldSchool, I believe, that teams can recoup some of the signing bonus if a player retires. They can claw back any remaining portion of the signing bonus that is spread out on the cap. I believe that's 36 million for Stafford over the next three seasons.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm more optimistic than you are on this one. I don't think there's any way McVay leaves after this debacle of a season. I think he's too competitive to leave on such a terrible note.

More than anything though, I think a sense of obligation and brotherhood will bring him back. McSnead and the big 4 (Coop, AD, MS, JR) have a special bond and they don't want to let each other down.

Leaving after this season would harm McVay's legacy and he knows it.

JMO
One thing brought up on a pod I listened to recently.. the TV Jobs McVay could've gotten this past offseason are now filled.. at least for a period of time. On top of that.. Brady is already set to move in.

We'll see what happens.

Tano

Legend
I dont recall the details of the restructure, but it pushed 15 mil of dead cap to the Lions. Still and all, a 10 mill dead cap beats paying 26 mill for a QB who can be replaced by a "Journeyman" type QB who would cost 1/4 of that. (Which was what the discussion was about)
I would still keep Goff next year even if they draft a QB high in the first round. Let him learn from Goff for at least a half year and maybe waive him after the rookie becomes the starter. Goff does have some good qualities to learn from and bad qualities to learn not to do.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would still keep Goff next year even if they draft a QB high in the first round. Let him learn from Goff for at least a half year and maybe waive him after the rookie becomes the starter. Goff does have some good qualities to learn from and bad qualities to learn not to do.
That was the point that started our conversation. You cant pay the guy 26 mil for that purpose. Hence, they cut him and then re-sign him on a lower base deal. Similarly to what the 49ers did with Garopollo,. (albeit they didnt have to release him first since he was in the last year of his deal)

Turducken

Starter
is she really that much of an airhead? hard to believe.

also, "she wants him to retire and brings it up all the time", again hard to believe that she is that poor a supporter of a spouse.
They have a 10 figure net worth already and she would rather her husband retire without CTE. It's more than rational.

brucebruce

Rookie
They have a 10 figure net worth already and she would rather her husband retire without CTE. It's more than rational.

she married a football player. if he wants to play then let him play. support your spouse and don't screw with his mind. if you push someone to retire in their 30s, yet they still have the drive to play, you will breed resentment by pushing him to give up his last few years of qb.

having a conversation about retirement makes sense but asking him to constantly retire is a recipe for disaster. and saying that you'd leave him if he gets a massive concussion is beyond irrational.

why even put this stuff out there on a podcast? get your own fame and leave your spouse's career to themselves without riding coattails.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
she married a football player. if he wants to play then let him play. support your spouse and don't screw with his mind. if you push someone to retire in their 30s, yet they still have the drive to play, you will breed resentment by pushing him to give up his last few years of qb.

having a conversation about retirement makes sense but asking him to constantly retire is a recipe for disaster. and saying that you'd leave him if he gets a massive concussion is beyond irrational.

why even put this stuff out there on a podcast? get your own fame and leave your spouse's career to themselves without riding coattails.
Curious have you ever been married. Happy wife happy life. Ask Brady.

brucebruce

Rookie

yes married. happy life without being whipped. she is as supportive as they come. i see other wives squeezing the drive and life out of their husbands. then again, my wife understands that i've always had plans and like to build, and she likes that, and her support has increased our success. if i was famous she would never be so public. we are a team so why give others ammo against me.

as for brady, he probably wanted out anyhow. she was a big mouth as well. remember the whole "he cant throw and catch the ball as well" after the Edelman drop. or her wanting to get credit for his career success because of her witchcraft (not a joke.) imagine someone like that in public. makes you wonder what private time looks like. yikes.

Turducken

Starter
she married a football player. if he wants to play then let him play. support your spouse and don't screw with his mind.
Funny, because he's playing a sport that can literally "screw with his mind" permanently.

Ali should have hung them up after the Thrilla in Manilla. Seau should have retired a Charger. Players in violent head trauma sports need people in their lives who will stand up to/for them while they still have all their marbles.

I'm OK if he walks away. He might have to give back a bit of his signing bonus, but it's really between him and his family.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
One of the most BS quotes of all time and I'm married. Should be both are happy in a marriage not just the wife. Don't wanna be like a guy at work I know that is like I'm happily married, she's happy and I'm married lol.

oldnotdead

Legend
Like I said Stafford will come back next year and McVay will be a total fool not to shut him down now. If he has a injury free year next year I think he's year to year after that but he retires in 2026. If he gets another bad concussion next year I think he retires.

When life is trying to tell you something, you need to listen. My wife and I were partners free to speak our minds but supportive of each other's decisions. It sounds like the Staffords have something like that as well. To constantly have to bite your tongue becomes toxic after a while. Marriage is a partnership and respect goes both ways.

RamWoodie

Legend
Stafford wanted to play last game...BUT...under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you play him this week. Let Perkins play and gain experience. Stafford shouldn't play for at least 2 games minimum.

oldnotdead

Legend
They played him too early and paid for it. Time to shut things down. When they released Hollins and Henderson that was the Rams conceding this season. So why play Stafford? If Perkins plays well then they own him for one more year then he's trade bait after that.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
where did she say this? hard to believe because 1) a concussion is a brain inhury and he's had many of those and 2) they were together during her illness. no way did she say something this asinine.

No he hasn't.

Asinine? They have four girls. Kelly herself has had brain surgery and a long recovery from said surgery. She knows Matthew isn't ready to hang it up yet, but she is concerned he won't be the same guy in 10+ years for her children if he continues to take the types of hits he has this season. TBI's are no joke.

Listen to her podcast if you want to hear it yourself.