Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep if I was Detroit I would trade down - get defensive players - maybe get another first round draft pick in 2024 if they can and get Caleb in 2024
The Lions building a strategy around them somehow getting the projected #1 pick in 2024 sounds like a terrible decision to me.

Tano

Legend
Bryce Young
As I stated, the number 1 QB is going to Houston and I believe Bryce Young is Number 1

If not CJ Stroud, who else would you have in mind.

Note - I am not impressed at CJ Stroud being much better than Goff. Maybe a little because of his scrambling abilities, but that is it.

Tano

Legend
The Lions building a strategy around them somehow getting the projected #1 pick in 2024 sounds like a terrible decision to me.
I haven't seen many QBs other than Caleb and CJ and I heard Bryce Young is really good, but if there isn't one better than CJ Stroud I wouldn't draft a QB just to draft a QB. So that is why I would stick with that strategy because Detroit would just be setting them up for non superbowl QBs if they drafted a QB just to get a QB

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Apparently, the Rams have no plans to shut Stafford down for the remainder of the season, as per recent reporting. Is that true or just blowing smoke? Who knows.

We don't have a 1st round pick this year, so I'd 100% just rest Stafford the rest of the way if it was up to me.

But if Stafford wants to keep playing during this lost season, the silver lining to me is that, if that is his wish, he likely is not contemplating retirement at this point. If he was, you think he'd just shut it down, avoid further injury, and ride off into the sunset.

Stafford playing a few more years for the Rams would be good news. In a weak NFC, I really do think this team can compete again next year, if we avoid such a disastrously injured-riddled campaign in 2023-24 season. A few wise off-season moves to re-tool could do wonders, as could playing under the radar following a down year. I actually think the FA moves this past season are proving decent. Not spectacular, but Wager has been very good, and I really like what I have seen from Robinson lately - with any sort of pass protection I think he would be a real weapon. He is making lots of tough, physical, contested catches and is getting open. But we need some pass pro to let routes develop to really maximize his skill set.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Reports this am seem to say otherwise - Stafford is likely to be shut down the rest of the year and not play. I’m guessing they won’t come out and directly say it. But that seems the most likely (& best) scenario.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Maybe it’s me reading into it. But that report to me reads like - if we somehow went in a run like 3 straight wins or 4-1, then Stafford would come back.

If things stay in the crapper, then no need to bring him back for meaningless games.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I would assume numerous factors, including his current health, will go into the decision.
One word was missing from the headline..

"there are no current plans to shut down Stafford for the remainder of the season, multiple sources say"

I think it's better than 50/50 he doesn't play again.. but we'll see.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Stafford does retire... get ready for Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield as the starter next season.
it's gonna be one of those two, imo.

And.. again.. I'd blow it all up if Stafford retires. Literally no one on the roster would be untouchable.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Stafford didn't move his whole family out to LA just to play one season so if he does retire it will be health related reasons. If he does then what? the Rams will be in deep trouble. So they had better open up the wallet and get some protection for him. As the team sits now if all were healthy the Rams would be headed for a playoff run. Every off season acquisition should be for the improvement of the OL and Run Game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Stafford didn't move his whole family out to LA just to play one season so if he does retire it will be health related reasons. If he does then what? the Rams will be in deep trouble. So they had better open up the wallet and get some protection for him. As the team sits now if all were healthy the Rams would be headed for a playoff run. Every off season acquisition should be for the improvement of the OL and Run Game.
In retrospect.. the biggest mistake this offseason wasn't not getting Von.. or signing Robinson or Wagner.. it was not going after Terron Armstead.
I thought the Noteboom signing made sense.. but I also brought up the possibility of Armstead.
The lesson I should've learned and the Rams should've learned is that when a Vet LT who is a true plus player comes loose.. and doesn't break the bank? Jump on that shit.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Stafford does retire... get ready for Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield as the starter next season.

And.. again.. I'd blow it all up if Stafford retires. Literally no one on the roster would be untouchable.
YOUSONOFA ~ AD

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we can't get a suitable Oline for Stafford, I'd rather have him retire than become a vegetable. The Super Bowl win will last a long time for me until a new team develops again. I just hope that the Rams can keep McSnead in order for that to ecome reality. The grass is rarely greener on the other side in regard to hot coaching prospects and GMs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There’s no chance Stafford won’t be back in 2023.
None.
It’s all click bait right now

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I stated, the number 1 QB is going to Houston and I believe Bryce Young is Number 1

If not CJ Stroud, who else would you have in mind.

Note - I am not impressed at CJ Stroud being much better than Goff. Maybe a little because of his scrambling abilities, but that is it.
C.J. Stroud is currently projected to go #1.

jjab360

Legend

Yep. If Stafford retires, McVay and Snead need to blow it up and start all over circa 2017.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If we had to trade away anyone not named Kupp, Donald or Stafford to secure picks to build up this offensive line through draft and free agency, we need to do it. This line isn’t the winning build, even if there wasn’t injuries. Many people saw it as a weakness prior to the start of the season, and it’s gotten worse.

If we want to keep Stafford, we need to protect him.